my daughter has an iphone .I have a torch ,which i love.Do i get an ipad or playbook.its for both of us.which makes more sense.shes 18 im 50
    06-07-11 10:24 PM
    Really not trying to be rude, but unless you have specific questions, you and your daughter could probably answer this with a quick demo of both units at a Best Buy or something.
    psiclne likes this.
    06-07-11 10:31 PM
    If you want to play games, Ipaid. If you want to browse the web and play a few less games. PlayBook.
    PlayBook, you'll really love it!!
    06-07-11 10:41 PM
    This is a recurring question here in the forums, as well as anytime I show my Playbook to someone- PB or IPad- which is better? It all comes down to what your individual needs are. I think it is safe to assume that a 50 year old and an 18 year old probably have different expectations as to what a tablet should be. I sometimes share my PB with my wife (a tough thing to do), but seeing how she uses it - Facebook, YouTube, I am inclined to get her an IPad, simply for the larger screen. I, however, prefer the bridging capabilities, and smaller form factor for using at work. At the end of the day, no one here can tell you what is better for you, the best bet is to try them out side by side, and compare each one's features against your needs. Good luck!
    06-07-11 10:42 PM
    If Facebook is your priority than definitely PB........If you really want to use every possible app on earth from useful to useless than ipad is for you.
    06-07-11 11:06 PM
    This is a recurring question here in the forums, as well as anytime I show my Playbook to someone- PB or IPad- which is better? It all comes down to what your individual needs are. I think it is safe to assume that a 50 year old and an 18 year old probably have different expectations as to what a tablet should be. I sometimes share my PB with my wife (a tough thing to do), but seeing how she uses it - Facebook, YouTube, I am inclined to get her an IPad, simply for the larger screen. I, however, prefer the bridging capabilities, and smaller form factor for using at work. At the end of the day, no one here can tell you what is better for you, the best bet is to try them out side by side, and compare each one's features against your needs. Good luck!
    very strange..my wife would rather have a PB simply because its portable and go into her purse easily.
    Also, if you want the larger one, the rumor is PB will release a 10' device soon??!!!

but i like the answers. it shows the RIM users are objective and reasonable people. nobody jumped and said go for PB and forget the ipad.
    ofcourse the ipad has tons of apps. but what is more important?
    if you have a BB handset then the PB should be more of priority for its bridging capability for free basically.
    then other issues such as portability/more exciting UI and hardware capabilities..

i think one thing will tip the balance in favor of PB is when it gets the Android collection. that will be huge. i think in return RIM will allow them to pack the BBM with their software!
    06-08-11 12:54 AM
    I suggest you wait for the Android support is out...
    06-08-11 01:59 AM
    I'm not sure how old your daughter is but if she's into Disney then go to this site on both and the decision is easy.

Disney | Official Home Page for All Things Disney
    06-08-11 03:10 AM
    I suggest you wait for the Android support is out...
    I agree, I have both Ipad2 and playbook, I like both of them so much, but I find the apps are still lacking for PB, for it to be real productive. but it has lot's of potential, esp when android supports are showing up.
    06-08-11 03:29 AM
    I think it boils down to who is going to be using it more. If she is going to use it a lot, I think an iPad is probably better for an 18 year old at the moment.
    06-08-11 04:36 AM
    I suggest you go with the playbook. It will teach the quality of patience and which is sorely lacking in the younger generation today.
    brucep1 likes this.
    06-08-11 05:02 AM
    I would get two playbooks and keep the iphone. You wont want to share.
    06-08-11 05:44 AM
    If you want to play games, Ipaid. If you want to browse the web and play a few less games. PlayBook.
    PlayBook, you'll really love it!!
    I love the browser on the Playbook and now after the latest OS update my bridge Browser is actually working nicely as well. One thing I would like it to have is Silverlight & HBO GO (which has an Ipad app) but I like both devices but like the dapper one said they are both tablets with very different strengths.
    06-08-11 06:00 AM
    For the difference in ages, I would definately get the Ipad. It has games for her, Newsstand (coming in the fall), where you can buy magazine subscriptions and they automatically update. It also has Netflix and email.

PlayBook is a good tablet, but I just don't think it appeals to a 50 year old and an 18 year old. I think the Ipad is better suited.
    06-08-11 07:36 AM
    I'm not sure how old your daughter is but if she's into Disney then go to this site on both and the decision is easy.

Disney | Official Home Page for All Things Disney
    LOL so you want him to base his decision to spend $500 on disney.com? Yeah, I would probably compare them a little more than that.
    06-08-11 07:38 AM
    when android player come....pb will be both bb n droid
    06-08-11 08:11 AM
    I own both the iPad and PB, they both have their pros and cons. I have found myself using the iPad way more than the PB. My wife on the other hand likes using the PB because of the size. I will wait to decide which one I would pick as #1 when the PB catches up on its OS. The longer I use the iPad the more I am leaning towards it as my favorite.
    06-08-11 08:26 AM
    If you are open minded, go try both, see what important apps are available for each, and make your own decision. IMHO, the worst that you could do (in this case) is seek opinions, as they will only serve to narrow your point of view.
    06-08-11 08:49 AM
    my daughter has an iphone .I have a torch ,which i love.Do i get an ipad or playbook.its for both of us.which makes more sense.shes 18 im 50
    My honest Suggestion

1. Go to Best Buy buy.
    2. Play with them both.
    3. Buy one of each.
    4. Use each for 3 or 4 days.
    5. Keep one or none.
    6. Return one or both
    06-08-11 08:54 AM
    Make sure the newest OS is on the Playbook. And you might want to put the Bridge app on your torch. One of the coolest and nicest things about the Playbook is its Bridge feature. With the newest updates to the Playbook and to the Bridge app it really rocks. Nice to be able to surf the internet without wifi and not have to pay for it through a tethering plan!
    06-08-11 08:57 AM
    LOL so you want him to base his decision to spend $500 on disney.com? Yeah, I would probably compare them a little more than that.
    Not solely on that. But how would he feel spending $500 for an iPad and when his daughter goes to Disney or any other site that uses flash and she doesn't see anything and puts it down?
    06-08-11 08:58 AM
    Really? Flash isn't the holy grail, I promise. How about this: how would he feel spending $500 for a PlayBook only to have his daughter get frustrated that Netflix or Hulu don't work on it (and there is no app available for the PlayBook like there is for the iPad)? As others have said, the best way to figure this out is to check out each and decide what is most important. Each device offers something a bit different and each has different strengths and weaknesses. Only the OP can decide which one to get.
    Last edited by ifarlow; 06-08-11 at 09:12 AM.
    06-08-11 09:10 AM
    you're asking on a blackberry forum if you should go with bb or apple.. what do u expect in answers? lol
    06-08-11 09:24 AM
    I would lean toward the iPad simply because she already has the iPhone. It just makes things easier with Facetime, sharing apps, and the whole iCloud thing that'll happen in the fall. As well, each device can easily grab music from iTunes on your computer, so that just makes life easier, especially for your daughter.

In a world where she didn't have an iPhone, then you need to ask yourself what you will do with the tablet. I use my iPad to surf the net in the evening (my wife tends to hog the computer for her work), and I'm always on the lookout for new interesting apps that bring more functionality to the tablet. So for me, the iPad was the more logical choice at the moment. As well (and this is a weak argument), my close-up vision is starting to go (that's what happens when you hit 40), and I have an easier time with a larger screen where I don't constantly need to zoom, since I still refuse to buy reading glasses...
    06-08-11 09:32 AM
    Not solely on that. But how would he feel spending $500 for an iPad and when his daughter goes to Disney or any other site that uses flash and she doesn't see anything and puts it down?

For some reason I just don't think his 18 year old daughter is really basing a $500 purchase on Disney.com.
    06-08-11 09:47 AM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD