Is it just me, or are bloggers afraid to compare the less expensive Playbook to the iPad Mini?

Open to comments?
    10-25-12 09:54 AM
    I'm sure Kevin and Rene will provide us with one.

I don't see much point to it, besides the sheer fun of a head-to-head video.
    10-25-12 09:56 AM
    No point in comparing the 2 really. What would it accomplish? The PlayBook is fundamentally unchanged from when it was released a year and a half ago, other than the CPU bump with the LTE model recently. The iPad mini is really at its heart an iPad 2 display and CPU with the camera units from the newer iPhone/iPod touch, all put into a smaller form factor.
    10-25-12 10:11 AM
    The iplaybook was built to finish RIM off and bring in those who want a smaller sized tablet. I am not a programer or whatever but the iplaybook seems to be the same as the playbook only newer so it may have better equipment.
    10-25-12 10:21 AM
    Afraid lol? You want to know the truth why bloggers won't compare? BECAUSE LIKE THE REST OF THE WORLD, NOT ONE BLOGGER OWNS ONE OR WANTS ONE. Hey, let's compare a 1968 Corvette to the 2013 Vette. Reality. Sorry.

Jessica
    Reality the mint condition 68 vette is worth 3 times what a 13 is so please if you know nothing about vehicles compare with something you know about like lipstick and eyeliner if your mom lets you use that yet.
    10-25-12 10:23 AM
    Why should there be one? It's same thing as the other ipads only smaller.
    10-25-12 10:26 AM
    Is the Ipad for sale yet?

If not, just wait, because it's going to happen!

Haven't they compared the Nexus 7 to a almost 2 year Playbook?

Just wait for it...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    10-25-12 10:35 AM
    Technology changes so fast that if there is a comparison review against a nearly 2 year old tablet then it's more proof the Playbook + OS was so ahead of its time which we all know already plus this tablet is still supported by Rim
    10-25-12 10:54 AM
    No need to.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my PB, but as far as the consumer market is concerned(and bloggers at this point), the PB is irrelevant(didn't make enough market share to even be on the radar as a device one should compare their products too.).
    10-25-12 11:02 AM
    I guarantee someone on You Tube will do it...there are a lot of interesting tablet comparisons there.
    10-25-12 11:50 AM
    The comparisons only can compare what both devices have. That only shows half the story
    10-25-12 12:12 PM
    Is it just me, or are bloggers afraid to compare the less expensive Playbook to the iPad Mini?

Open to comments?
    I don't think it's the case that anyone is afraid to compare the Playbook to the iPad mini.. there simply isn't any comparison. the Mini will sell more in 1 month than the Playbook has sold in a year and a half. What's to compare at this point?
    10-25-12 12:12 PM
    Well the iPad mini is a stripped down iPad. That's the interesting part.
    It's just funny too to me

Apple - iPad mini - Technical specifications
    iPad 4 vs. Kindle Fire 8 HD vs. Nexus 7 vs. Surface RT vs. PlayBook: Spec shootout! | iMore.com

Highlights...

Display
    Playbook : 1024x600 169ppi
    iPad Mini : 1024 x 768 163 ppi

Both Dual core 1.0 GHz processors

Both rear 5 MP 1080p
    Front :
    Playbook: 3 MP
    iPad Mini : 1.2 MP

GPS:
    Playbook : aGPS
    iPad Mini : Yes for cellular version

Same sensors

What is the laughable part, is YES! The Playbook is unchanged since April 19, 2011. So it took Apple about a year and a half to build a 7" tablet to compete with the Playbook...the thing is, does everyone think the Playbook isn't due up for a refresh?

It's obvious this is Apple trying to put Blackberry out, but the price point is still cheaper for the Playbook. Apps yes Apple, however, once BB10 is out there should be a nice change
    Marty_LK and Sriman like this.
    10-25-12 12:24 PM
    I don't think it's the case that anyone is afraid to compare the Playbook to the iPad mini.. there simply isn't any comparison. the Mini will sell more in 1 month than the Playbook has sold in a year and a half. What's to compare at this point?
    Everything but sales
    10-25-12 12:24 PM
    The iplaybook was built to finish RIM off and bring in those who want a smaller sized tablet. I am not a programer or whatever but the iplaybook seems to be the same as the playbook only newer so it may have better equipment.
    Check the specs. The Playbook has better hardware through and through.
    axeman1000 likes this.
    10-25-12 12:44 PM
    Afraid lol? You want to know the truth why bloggers won't compare? BECAUSE LIKE THE REST OF THE WORLD, NOT ONE BLOGGER OWNS ONE OR WANTS ONE. Hey, let's compare a 1968 Corvette to the 2013 Vette. Reality. Sorry.

Jessica
    1968 corvette is now classified as a muscle car, the 2013 is not. So am i to compare this to the playbook being the muscle car and the minipad not?

Because using that humorous comparison works for me. Don't always think newer is better. The classic can still outperform the new. Like in this case of playbook to always minipad oops sorry the apple minipad. (Always get those names confused )
    Marty_LK and DC506 like this.
    10-25-12 12:53 PM
    Since they have almost similar hardware specs, the next criteria would be, which tablet is more useful?
    10-25-12 01:19 PM
    What is the laughable part, is YES! The Playbook is unchanged since April 19, 2011. So it took Apple about a year and a half to build a 7" tablet to compete with the Playbook...the thing is, does everyone think the Playbook isn't due up for a refresh?

It's obvious this is Apple trying to put Blackberry out, but the price point is still cheaper for the Playbook. Apps yes Apple, however, once BB10 is out there should be a nice change
    "We're not in the spec race, we're not like six cylinders are better than four, we're in the experience race" -- Thorsten Heins.

I very much doubt the PlayBook played any consideration when Apple entered the mini tablet market. The Kindle and the Nexus are the 7" leaders, the PB has been a dismal failure that cost RIM hundreds of millions of dollars.
    10-25-12 01:36 PM
    Since they have almost similar hardware specs, the next criteria would be, which tablet is more useful?
    I had an iPad and once the novelty of it wore off around a month, I never used it. It just sat there. I traded it for enough money to buy an Android tablet. My Playbook, on the other hand, I've had for about a year or more and I am still using it and finding at least a little bit of use for it all the time. I have the fast-charge dock and keep my PB in it and use it quite often at night for playing music. Having two front facing stereo speakers and the high-end Wolfson DAC makes it perfect for a quick and easy music player. The hardware buttons easily control the music skip or volume and pause/play without needing to have the display on. My PB actually gets more use than my beloved Android tablet - which is buggy as all git out (Asus TF300).
    10-25-12 01:38 PM
    Wouldn't be fair,considering how long the PB has been out and the length of time of QNX on a tablet. Give it up guys, people will line up and growing money at the new mini.
    10-25-12 01:50 PM
    Why is it the sales argument always come up when the PlayBook has a technical advantage?

No one is talking about sales. Quite the idiotic sales argument.

BlackBerry PlayBook vs Apple iPad mini

They are already out there. Are they fair and unbiased though?
    10-25-12 02:14 PM
    1968 corvette is now classified as a muscle car, the 2013 is not. So am i to compare this to the playbook being the muscle car and the minipad not?

Because using that humorous comparison works for me. Don't always think newer is better. The classic can still outperform the new. Like in this case of playbook to always minipad oops sorry the apple minipad. (Always get those names confused )
    Don't get carried away. A '68 Corvette can't come close to a modern version (the '12 is literally twice as fast as the '68 - 0-60 and 1/4 mile times 1965-2006 - Corvette Forum). We often let nostalgia get the best of us.

As for this topic, the difference is what it was 18 months ago... ecosystem (aka apps). Yes PB specs still hold up, but the developers haven't followed.
    10-25-12 03:33 PM

Hope for the best with BB10...
    10-25-12 03:41 PM
    excuse me.. I'm from Indonesia, maybe this can show up how playbook still better than iPad mini..

Perbandingan Spesifikasi BlackBerry PlayBook vs iPad Mini | Jeruk Nipis
    10-25-12 03:43 PM
    Can we get back on the Corvette discussion at least that is a win win discussion.
    Marty_LK and benshot like this.
    10-25-12 04:07 PM
34 12