I have a wifi iPad and (non-games) use netflix, xfinity tv, kindle, google voice, textfree, skype, Co-Pilot Live HD and navionics marine navigator... With a mobile hotspot and a bluetooth hockey puck GPS it adds real value as an international wifi communications device and car navigations system

I have been considering the PB at the discounted prices, as I am attracted to the 7" form factor but again its more for the love of BB than for any real use that the PB would give me.. I will wait a few months for a 7" ipad, but if not it is increasingly likely that a galaxy tab will offer the best option of price/performance/portability & apps.

to me, the technical specs of the PB are largely irrelevant... its like having a ferrari with no gas.
    02-22-12 11:06 AM
    Check the crackberry threads, you will find it, I guess it was kavin who break this news that os6 update 6.1 is given new name of os7, because of the same reason you haven that how different it is from os6. But for me, in reality it is 6.1 labelled as os7. Can you get ipad and iphone for $240? I guess not because those are efficient devices, so apple will never lower the price to empty its warehouse... Right?
    Yeah, I remember when OS6.1 was "rebranded" as OS7. And I say the word "rebranded" cautiously because while we knew OS6.1 was supposed to run on the eventual OS7 devices, we don't actually know how different 6.1 and 7 were from each other. Early videos of the Torch 9850/60 showed a phone running what was purported to be 6.1 but looked more like OS6 than OS7. Like I said, OS7 was much more than a software upgrade and required brand new hardware to use.

Can I get an iPad 2 for $240? No, but why would I want one. I believe my PlayBook to be a far superior device to an iPad and I got my PlayBook for a cheaper price. The PlayBook at $199 is, in my opinion, worth much more than an iPad 2 at $499.
    02-22-12 11:07 AM
    I have a 64 g Playbook.... HP touchpad.... and Ipad.... Bought the IPad just because it was new and different.... Cannot say I used it a lot.... My wife ended up using it for facebook games in the end... Brought the HP becauase I like to tinkler....Currently runnnning ICS 4.... and of course the Playbook.... I think what your experience and expectations of the tablet in question determines your view.... I never found the IPad did much for me.... Never found much to do with it.... Did not like th web experience on it and am not into content media so after about a month I stopped using it.... I rarely use the touchpad except to tinker with it... The Playbook is always in use..... I actually have 3 now...... It gets tiresome of what which tablet is better.... They are all good.... it really depends what you want from them.... I always say I really love my Playbook but am careful not to knock other platforms as most who use them feel the same as I do about my playbook.....
    martinbowden likes this.
    02-22-12 11:13 AM
    Well I have both ipad2 and 64gb playbook what I like and dislike

iPad2 build not that good mic stopped working screen bleed not good and too locked down ie iTunes but still use it lots of apps

Playbook good build no issues yet can drag and drop my movies and music without going though a program love the screen size

Hope this helps
    02-22-12 11:31 AM
    Yeah, I remember when OS6.1 was "rebranded" as OS7. And I say the word "rebranded" cautiously because while we knew OS6.1 was supposed to run on the eventual OS7 devices, we don't actually know how different 6.1 and 7 were from each other. Early videos of the Torch 9850/60 showed a phone running what was purported to be 6.1 but looked more like OS6 than OS7. Like I said, OS7 was much more than a software upgrade and required brand new hardware to use.

Can I get an iPad 2 for $240? No, but why would I want one. I believe my PlayBook to be a far superior device to an iPad and I got my PlayBook for a cheaper price. The PlayBook at $199 is, in my opinion, worth much more than an iPad 2 at $499.
    I am glad that someone here admit it that it was 6.1 rebranded to 7, what so ever the reason, just enough to show that RIM does thing before and think later. Why would one consider ipad, just one word now... Browser! It was two words before, email & browser. Playbook has a pathetic browser, no developer wants to develop something meaningful for playbook, I mean this crackberry is full of blackberry lover and I am sure that there will be talented developer here too but no one thought about it.......aaah the developer kit! RIM is too lazy to give resources to the developers.... And people here think that RIM can stand against iphone and ipad, they don't have a chance to stand against Samsung Galaxy s2 & their tab!
    02-22-12 01:29 PM
    I am glad that someone here admit it that it was 6.1 rebranded to 7, what so ever the reason, just enough to show that RIM does thing before and think later. Why would one consider ipad, just one word now... Browser! It was two words before, email & browser. Playbook has a pathetic browser, no developer wants to develop something meaningful for playbook, I mean this crackberry is full of blackberry lover and I am sure that there will be talented developer here too but no one thought about it.......aaah the developer kit! RIM is too lazy to give resources to the developers.... And people here think that RIM can stand against iphone and ipad, they don't have a chance to stand against Samsung Galaxy s2 & their tab!
    The only thing I can personally compare the browser to is the browser in my iPad. While I love my iPad, I find the browsing (and the general OS experience) to be significantly inferior to that of my PB. Calling the PB browser "pathetic" is exactly opposite of my experience. To each his own....
    Geeoff likes this.
    02-22-12 02:09 PM

And you find this surprising? You ARE on a site called "crackberry", after all.

I love that everyone is trying SO hard to keep the thread positive in the face of this troll.
    Geeoff likes this.
    02-22-12 02:58 PM
    Why would one consider ipad, just one word now... Browser! It was two words before, email & browser. Playbook has a pathetic browser
    I'm just going to leave this here....

The HTML5 test - How well does your browser support HTML5?
    02-22-12 03:49 PM
    And you find this surprising? You ARE on a site called "crackberry", after all.

I love that everyone is trying SO hard to keep the thread positive in the face of this troll.
    So you had nothing to say about the other things I said about the playbook OS? I know it's crackberry website not mac rumors. You are just an emotional beast attached to the playbook without any rationalization. I know more about BB OS & playbook OS that's why I am critical to it. And those who think playbook browser is superior because of flash, well even the adobe is forced to support HTML5. RIM was wrong again in choosing the sides.
    02-23-12 07:45 AM
    So you had nothing to say about the other things I said about the playbook OS? I know it's crackberry website not mac rumors. You are just an emotional beast attached to the playbook without any rationalization. I know more about BB OS & playbook OS that's why I am critical to it. And those who think playbook browser is superior because of flash, well even the adobe is forced to support HTML5. RIM was wrong again in choosing the sides.
    The Playbook browser has higher HTML5 benchmarks than iOS Safari, so how did RIM, by having superior support for both HTML5 and Flash over the iPad choose the wrong side? RIM supported the largest media delivery method on the net at the time of release, and they have supported the future, HTML5, from day one too. Only things that the iPad has superiority over the Playbook now that OS2.0 is out is the app catalog, and the GPU. iPad has a lower pixel density screen, poor cameras both front and back, no HDMI out without expensive adapters, and no stereo speakers (and those are just the hardware deficiencies I'm comparing!). And as HTML5 becomes the way to go, the apps that are coded with HTML5 will work on the Playbook just fine, and RIM is encouraging the use of HTML5 as a development platform.
    02-23-12 08:12 AM
    I think you've hit upon it. Something about how it feels in the hand, and not just because of size. Something psychological that the iPad doesn't seem to have.

Have to agree that the very nice camcorder and video chat features make it seem more connected to the world outside the web than the iPad.
    I think you described it very well.

I own both too and the only reasons I still using my ipad is because of some extremely useful apps that are not yet available for the PB and the "three-finger-tab" zoom. I had some eye problems and needed the zoom very often. Accessibility options are still very poor on the PB.
    02-23-12 08:26 AM

Playbook has a pathetic browser? Man, you have got to be kidding. The browser is fantastic, esp compared to the stock browser on ipad.

I also tinkered a bit with print-to-go, and I have to say, I am really looking forward to the day cascades comes out of development.

The new OS from RIM is still young, it needs a lot of care to grow. However, I really think it has a great future. Now, if RIM could just implement galaxy note-like stylus capabilities on its future device.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    Chrisy likes this.
    02-23-12 08:33 AM
    Playbook has a pathetic browser? Man, you have got to be kidding. The browser is fantastic, esp compared to the stock browser on ipad.

I also tinkered a bit with print-to-go, and I have to say, I am really looking forward to the day cascades comes out of development.

The new OS from RIM is still young, it needs a lot of care to grow. However, I really think it has a great future. Now, if RIM could just implement galaxy note-like stylus capabilities on its future device.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    Yes playbook browser is the pathetic! And it will be pathetic until it will stop showing checker boxes. If you use new android browser call dolphin HD you will know what I mean.
    02-24-12 11:25 PM
    Yes playbook browser is the pathetic! And it will be pathetic until it will stop showing checker boxes. If you use new android browser call dolphin HD you will know what I mean.
    actually, I've used dolphin browser.. not impressed with it, but that's just me. I own a galaxy note, I kinda hate the gingerbread OS compared to QNX, however, it gets the job done and more importantly, it has wacom stylus support..
    04-06-12 09:45 AM
    I'll be getting my PlayBook next week and I'll be able to do a little comparison in this thread. I've been struggling with making a decision to either keep or sell the PB to offset the purchase of an iPad 3, and done a fair bit of reading and research for a good 3-4 days at several forums. My father recently bought an iPad 2 and I got to use it most of the time since he doesn't bring it to work because of its size. I must say I enjoy using it a lot, so much so that I'm tempted to buy one for my own use.

What's holding me back from doing that is the PB's form factor, which would make it super portable and comfortable for me to read on the move. On the other hand, the lack of decent reading apps is turning me towards getting an e-ink Kindle 4 to replace it for my reading needs, on top of getting an iPad.

Any thoughts?
    04-06-12 10:39 AM
    Rumor has it that Apple will release a 7.9" iPad sometime in the next year, maybe called the iPad mini. You heard it here first.

It will be priced less and meant to be an Amazon Fire killer. They will keep normal display resolution but smaller size will mean higher pixel density. Price will have to be lower as well, maybe $299 will make people consider it.

By the way, I have 2 playbooks and think they are awesome for my needs and nicely priced!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    04-06-12 11:10 AM
    It's not about the size. It's how you use it.
    That's right. Only a glutton for punishment, or a rode hard and put up wet type would think 7" is not enough.
    Last edited by alnamvet68; 04-06-12 at 11:34 AM.
    04-06-12 11:31 AM
    I hope those, who argue that the PB is automatically better than the iPad just because it's smaller, understand that it's a matter of preference. Otherwise, using your argument, we can conclude that the Galaxy Note is also automatically better than the PB.
    04-06-12 11:46 AM
    Rumor has it that Apple will release a 7.9" iPad sometime in the next year, maybe called the iPad mini. You heard it here first.

It will be priced less and meant to be an Amazon Fire killer. They will keep normal display resolution but smaller size will mean higher pixel density. Price will have to be lower as well, maybe $299 will make people consider it.

By the way, I have 2 playbooks and think they are awesome for my needs and nicely priced!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    Old news about the and I've heard about it awhile ago - you sound like you have some breaking story lol
    04-06-12 12:10 PM
94 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD