I'm an iPad diehard fan who bought the PB as a lark because of recent heavily discounted prices. In my head, I know the iPad has a much better larger display, better user interface (in my opinion), nice email app, and a world of apps that PB can only dream of.

Yet I keep reaching for the PB everyday instead of the iPad. I can't explain it or put my finger on why. I don't travel, so it's not due to portability/size factor. Wondering if any other iPad devotees are experiencing this unexpected behavior.
    Last edited by RF8655; 01-27-12 at 06:24 PM.
    01-27-12 06:21 PM
  2. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    interesting .. please tell more as the days go on .. what specifically do you use it for ... by the way , I also love the PB form factor, multitasking and user interface ... portable tablet form .... just waiting on 2.0 any day now! ...
    wenbecker likes this.
    01-27-12 06:26 PM
    I have basically shelved my 1st gen iPad since getting a PB. I prefer the QNX interface with true multitasking, full-featured browser, HDMI line out, the ability to connect with my laptop over wifi to transfer files, and I even like taking pics and videos with it. Some of these differences come from the iPad 1 being over a year old, of course. Still, I like the size and weight and those alone would give PB an edge for me. (And the more I learn about how workers get treated at Foxconn, the more I like not supporting Apple with my money!)
    01-27-12 06:42 PM
    It's not about the size. It's how you use it.
    01-27-12 06:42 PM
    Let's be honest, it is all about size...and the playbook is nice too.
    Chrisy likes this.
    01-27-12 06:44 PM
    I have an iPad 2 and Playbook.

I use both. But I really prefer the Playbook for media files because of the better speakers on the Playbook compared to the iPad.

Playbook more portable.
    01-27-12 06:45 PM
    I'm an iPad user but I also have a BB phone. I never had even the slightest though
    of purchasing a Playbook until the big sale which tempted me enough to go to the stores
    to find one.
    After owning it for a week I stopped using my iPad2 mainly cause it was more portable
    for on the go and I could use my BB data on it. Also I fell in love with the touch Bezels I think every tablet should have them. These days I barely touch the ipad, only on occasions to play Plants vs Zombies.
    MTL, apg300 and jamesbondOO7 like this.
    01-27-12 06:47 PM
    i know a few people that have both as well. They're amazed at the playbook! Today a guy at work brought one into our meeting. He was raving about it.

Rim push out more units at cost. You' re getting amazing word of mouth.
    01-27-12 07:25 PM
    Feels better in the hand. Might be one reason.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    klc99 likes this.
    01-27-12 07:40 PM
    That's right....anybody who thinks 7" isn't big enough is a glutton for punishment.
    01-27-12 07:46 PM
    I'm an iPad user but I also have a BB phone. I never had even the slightest though
    of purchasing a Playbook until the big sale which tempted me enough to go to the stores
    to find one.
    After owning it for a week I stopped using my iPad2 mainly cause it was more portable
    for on the go and I could use my BB data on it. Also I fell in love with the touch Bezels I think every tablet should have them. These days I barely touch the ipad, only on occasions to play Plants vs Zombies.
    which is coming to PB any day now.
    01-27-12 07:47 PM
    Feels better in the hand. Might be one reason.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    I think you've hit upon it. Something about how it feels in the hand, and not just because of size. Something psychological that the iPad doesn't seem to have.

Have to agree that the very nice camcorder and video chat features make it seem more connected to the world outside the web than the iPad.
    01-27-12 08:18 PM
    You normally would not catch me without my iPad (1or 2) but I too may be edging on switching to the PB as well as my primary device.
    I think for myself it's because it's something new. Using the same device for almost 2 years now is getting old. Prior to the iPad becoming a device every kid had it was interresting to own and bypass Apples limitations via jailbreaking. I like to own things that are different and in some cases siding with the underdog gives me something to look forward to. (OS 2)

Sure I do get frustrated with the playbook due to the lack of apps, browser hang ups, and the screen not not responding when I click a link or button, but it is growing on me.
    I like the HD resolution, stereo speakers, form factor/size, UI, and most of all the gestures. I find myself trying to operate the iPad with PB gestures when I do use it which is rare now.

Overall the OS is a solid platform. Don't get me wrong I can't wait for the 2.0 update for native functions and all the bells and whistles, this might just be the iPad killer after all.
    01-27-12 09:15 PM
    Obviously it's about user experience and emotions play a part in that. When you have a rolling card UI for multi-tasking apps, you feel like you're in control of your device; you can see everything at a glance or at most a few more swipes. The UI allows you to see what app is currently running, everything else that is happening on your PlayBook, and what you've just shelved to KIV for later. The ability to jump in and out of apps far more quickly than on any other platform gives a unique experience, what I would surmise as a sense of power and control over the device which appeals to some people. Whether this experience has mass-appeal is another thread for another day.

Compared to iOS/Android where the multi-tasking panel/dock/bar is hidden away, there is an important conceptual difference in the way each UI is designed. You get to see the company's values in the way their product works, which is very interesting to note. Apple strongly believes in simplifying the user experience by hiding the technical aspects as much as possible; RIM champions productivity, speed and control and it's almost literally spelt out in the PlayBook OS UI.

At the end of the day, different strokes for different folks. While you may enjoy the control PB OS gives to you, some others may not find it appealing.
    01-27-12 09:21 PM
  15. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    i know a few people that have both as well. They're amazed at the playbook! Today a guy at work brought one into our meeting. He was raving about it.

Rim push out more units at cost. You' re getting amazing word of mouth.
    agreed .. and when 2.0 is released very soon, RIM should have a massive marketing campaign to get the message out!!!
    8230 and Chrisy like this.
    01-27-12 09:35 PM
    Yeah I agree with all the comments... even the one about the feel of it! the metal on the iPad feels cold and hard and the 10" tablets to me just get uncomfortable to me after awhile. (even typing on them gets annoying on long periods of time) but not the playbook I can truly use it for hours and not feel uncomfortable at all! I have had an iPad to but it's true this UI is just amazing! It makes you actually feel part of the experience!

Now I have many things I like about the iPad but the things that drew me to the playbook instead:

iTunes: I HATE this software! I don't mind the whole downloading and everything but to give me a device and tell me what software I have to use is moronic! I love the fact that the playbook is easy to find and delete files and folders with an app or on your computer, no messing around!

Browser: So nice actually downloading your items and seeing and being able to manage them! Flash is great to!

UI: Like others have stated just so much nicer and more fun than iPad which gets old and boring! I love having no lock screen, that gets annoying on a tablet and doesn't even make sense. I also like having a docked settings and menu I can quickly look at in any app I have.

Multitasking: The iPad does not have multitasking, its a joke.

Size: much more portable.

So yeah I like the playbook just a little bit more!
    Last edited by shn; 01-27-12 at 09:40 PM.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-27-12 09:37 PM
    I have to agree with Derwent, it has to do with the features of the PB being more naturally accessible than the iway. I have spent enough time with the gf's 4s to see immediately how criptic the ui was. Didn't, don't like it. For the first 3 days she nearly pitched it out on the street. Gimmee more buttons and menus! The PB also feels better in the hand. I had a chance to use my bosses ipad on a 12 hour road trip. I pulled it out of his briefcase and was taken back by how similar it felt to a china dinner plate. He is old school and I had to show him how to get to the previous page on his browser. Until then he had to close it out and reopen it. It just didn't seem natural.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    01-27-12 10:01 PM
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    01-27-12 10:31 PM
    to find one.
    Are you sure you didnt mean Angry Birds... bc I heard that 'bird is the word'

I made a post earlier saying that most people buy the ipad for these casual games or things that can be done, in some cases much better, by other devices.
    01-27-12 11:03 PM
    was thinking, i typically find a comfortable distance for my pb about 14" from my face. moreover, i feel this distance is pretty natural, about the same as my phone. indeed, the pb is the same size as the average paperback book. what's more, though, is the playbook screen at 14" away is within the ideal viewing distance for a 7" screen (roughly double the diagonal length of the screen, and what most people feel comfortable with). with the ipad, i find it's a double whammy, while i feel compelled to hold it farther away, because it's 10", this becomes awkward and ungainly - infact, in my experience i've notice people with ipad's are often compelled to put them on a table, while pb users seem hard pressed to use them out of hand.
    but these are all just my observations, and if a 10" pb came out, i would definitely give it a good look.
    - and seriously, can you imagine if the bb had a 'home' button... ughhhhhh
    01-27-12 11:43 PM
    I think you've hit upon it. Something about how it feels in the hand, and not just because of size. Something psychological that the iPad doesn't seem to have.
    I use my wife's iPad2 sometimes. It has a cold metal back, sharper edges, and is heavier. It simply is not as comfortable to hold and use while sitting on the couch, etc. The PlayBook's soft touch back and slight curvature just feels better to me. So it is not just the size and weight.
    01-28-12 10:33 AM
    Awesome thread! I'm a self confessed tablet and computer junkie. I have an iPad 1 as well, and iPhone. I'll always have the iPhone as my phone, period. I am a die hard iPad fan too, and didn't get the iPad 2 because I'm wedded to my iPad 1, LOL. But I received an Android tablet as a gift, 7 inch Galaxy Tab plus, am enjoying that, and then saw the deep discount on the PBs. Or rather a very lovely spouse pointed it out to me knowing I'd be interested. I darn near ordered the 64GB at that across the board price of $299. Then on a lark, we went over to a local computer store-they weren't running the quite same special-the 64 GB was $299, 32 gb $299, and the 16GB at $199, however were out of stock. Well, the demo unit was 16GB, and they sold it to us for $159, so I could hardly argue with that. All my other tablets are also 16GB, (though the Tab is expandable) and while who wouldn't like 64GB, I never end up filling my 16GB, so for me this was a steal, and the unit is in fine shape, all the accessories were boxed up, and you wouldn't know it was a demo. I can't put the thing down, and it is a pleasure to use. I usually can't put the iPad down, but I really dig the PB. I didn't see myself overly interested in anything but my iPad, but between the Tab, and PB, surpise, I am. And I think I like the PB a little better than the Tab. I just got it and can't put it down. I can't wait for 2.0, and as long as that helps me run Kindle to read my Kindle books, even if it's emulated or whatever via Android, all the better. I'm not quite an exclusive "either/or", though I have favored iOS until recently. Each OS is its own thing, and while I'm such an iPad junkie, I can see I'll use the PB just as much, even though I don't have a BB phone.
    01-28-12 11:00 AM
    My son has been crying for ipad a year ago, last june/july bought him an ipad2 and a pb for myself. Fast forward to Jan 2012, we have 3 pbs, 64gb for me and 16gb for my son and wife. ipad2 is gathering dust in my son's room.
    01-28-12 12:10 PM
    ... The UI allows you to see what app is currently running, everything else that is happening on your PlayBook, and what you've just shelved to KIV for later. The ability to jump in and out of apps far more quickly than on any other platform gives a unique experience, what I would surmise as a sense of power and control over the device which appeals to some people. Whether this experience has mass-appeal is another thread for another day. ... You get to see the company's values in the way their product works, which is very interesting to note. Apple strongly believes in simplifying the user experience by hiding the technical aspects as much as possible; RIM champions productivity, speed and control and it's almost literally spelt out in the PlayBook OS UI. ...
    Very interesting analysis, thank you.
    01-29-12 02:33 AM
    We have two iPad2s and 3 PBs in our household. My father uploaded a photo album from his Bahamas trip on the iPad2 to show me.... halfway through the album I found my hand/wrist tired from holding it... Then tells me the same album was loaded on his PB.
    -_-U So much easier. Not to mention the higher PPI made the pictures much crisper, sound quality of videos were better.

Angry Birds plays equally as nice on the PB as iPad2. So my only reason to reach for the iPad2 has now been eliminated.
    01-29-12 03:23 AM
94 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD