Hey folks,
    so my latest project was installing a 4g LTE PlayBook into my car's dash.

I made a youtube video of the install, and a tour of the rest of the car too.

I should point out, that this car has had two different carputers installed in it over the last 15 years. the PlayBook allows me to remove all that extra equipment :-)

enjoy!

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVn6GYI0_pU&feature=g-upl[/YT]

p.s. if you know of ay good apps to sideload/download please let me know!
    alan510, russnash, RWD and 31 others like this.
    09-01-12 12:27 PM
    That's really awesome. I've been looking into the best way to implement something like this in my 2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Convertible but it has to be easily removable. I've always had this fear that someone will slash the top and steal my PlayBook.

This looks really good but in my stock dash there is no room for this type of modification unfortunately.
    09-01-12 12:40 PM
    wow thats a beauty of a car! love the set up U got in there, although I'm not crazy about the yellow interior shoulda went with the same purple as the outside! it would of looked more ensemble if U know what I mean! my GF used to own a 1993 eagle talon and that was a POS! always trouble after we had it for 6 months...never want one of those again! LOL
    09-01-12 12:56 PM
    Yeah, I agree, Really looks good. Just need a mini keyboard in the steering wheel and you could bbm on the go..... only kidding , seriously, a job well done.
    09-01-12 12:58 PM
    Awesome! So what do you use it for? GPS maps? Entertainment system? HUD showing speed/direction stuff?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    09-01-12 01:06 PM
    Great job! Very nice car too!
    09-01-12 01:10 PM
    I just saw the video, answered my questions!!!

You now need to download the K.I.T.T. app. "Hello Michael". :-)
    (hope you get that joke... )

But seriously, that would be cool. If they bring V-Lingo to Playbook or BB10 we will have something!

I use V-Lingo on my Torch9810 and when bridged to my Playbook, the speech-to-text goes into the clipboard and I can "paste to the Playbook" from my phone. That way I can talk into my phone and have it type into Playbook, like "voice dictation".

I'll have to do a video of that one day.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    robkd likes this.
    09-01-12 01:15 PM
    Awesome Mark!
    Love the car, and the PB install is PRO. What music player app is that?
    I had a 1990 Celica GTS for 22 years since new that I was hoping to mod one day. You truly built a beautiful machine.
    09-01-12 01:26 PM
    That setup looks pretty good. I have a 2nd PB for my Kia Sorento, currently using a Ram mount but if I can locate or fashion a proper bracket, would like to mount it in the stereo opening.

As far as apps go, based on the rest of your ride , you should get Police Radio Scanner !
    09-01-12 01:27 PM
    As far as apps go, based on the rest of your ride , you should get Police Radio Scanner !
    If he lives in Ontario, a bunch of municipalities have locked down their scanners and are no longer available to the public. For instance, like where I live in Hamilton.

Anyway, really nice install and implementation! Hopefully, with BB10 you will get more toys to play with on the tablet!
    09-01-12 02:21 PM
    Very nicely done - WOW!
    09-01-12 02:43 PM
    Nice installation. I've been contemplating doing a something similar in my 300c, especially after seeing the latest QNX in car video. I have a sneaky suspicion that the playbook BB10 will have many of same interfaces seen in that video built in.
    09-02-12 12:06 AM
    Magellan Compass!!
    Antair Nightstand if you want an awesome clock.

Put some movies on there!

Pandora (sideload)
    slacker radio
    tablet tv
    notebeat (maybe?)

cool modifation
    09-02-12 12:53 AM
    Very nice setup man. Can't say I like Plymouth, but you built the outta that one! 508 to the wheels ain't bad. Must be a super sleeper to those who don't know your car by now good stuff man. I'd love to build a little nook like that for my PB in my car, but it seems to be a lot of work...
    09-02-12 01:35 AM
    Thanks guys :-D

This is the first project in a while for the car. I usually do maybe one a year. Glad you like it.

After watching the 20 min QNX video...I want some of that stuff!!!

Anyone good at HTML5 coding? :-D

Mark
    @allaboutmybb
    www.allaboutmybb.com
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-02-12 08:11 AM
    How does it handle vibration while you're moving? I tried to build a custom mount for the Playbook in my car and the thing vibrated so much while the car was running that I couldn't even make out what was on the screen.
    09-02-12 08:26 AM
    Very Well done! I like it. looks cool to.
    09-02-12 08:42 AM
    Amazing work. Look great and I bet it goes like the dickens.

Can't wait to have the PB fully implemented into vehicles.

How hard would it be to have it read OBD-II in newer vehicles?
    09-02-12 08:58 AM
    Thanks guys :-D

This is the first project in a while for the car. I usually do maybe one a year. Glad you like it.

After watching the 20 min QNX video...I want some of that stuff!!!

Anyone good at HTML5 coding? :-D

Mark
    @allaboutmybb
    www.allaboutmybb.com
    Nice ride haven't seen one of those seems like 20 years all I can say is its cooler then the other side of the pillow. You couldn't park that on the street anywhere in nyc.
    It's making me think I want to put one in my ford explorer.
    09-02-12 09:33 AM
    Damn hot car!!
    09-02-12 11:11 AM
    How does it handle vibration while you're moving? I tried to build a custom mount for the Playbook in my car and the thing vibrated so much while the car was running that I couldn't even make out what was on the screen.
    really?!! LOL do you go off roading maybe? cuzz all I have is a crappy mount and I can read the screen perfectly, sure theres a little shake but nothing as bad as what your saying! maybe time to get a new car? LOL
    09-02-12 03:07 PM
    really?!! LOL do you go off roading maybe? cuzz all I have is a crappy mount and I can read the screen perfectly, sure theres a little shake but nothing as bad as what your saying! maybe time to get a new car? LOL
    Nah, it's just the way it's mounted. I can't find anything solid enough to mount it on, so the mount is bolted to the aluminium dash reinforcements. Guess it picks up the vibrations from the engine. None of the plastic in the car would hold the PB though, too heavy.
    09-02-12 03:22 PM
    Very nice PPG - very nice...
    09-03-12 12:03 PM
    Thanks for the compliments everyone!
    That car and I have been through a lot together. More money and heartache than I care to discuss. But I love her!

If you have any ideas for apps, please let me know!

So far I have found a Sirius app I sideloaded. It streams over bridge (awesome), and the Google Maps nav works over bridge too, but seems to keep dropping the GPS signal.
    09-03-12 12:09 PM
    Very nice. I knew the sky was not the limit.

How is it powered? Do you have a built in docking station similar to the rapid charger?

Keep the forum posted on any new add-ons to it, ie:bluetooth device, apps, etc.
    09-03-12 12:21 PM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD