So I finally got my 64 GB Playbook and so far it's been pretty underwhelming, I can't get it to work!

I finally got it updated to the latest device software (slow internet at home) but now the thing will not connect to my computer. The tablet says that it is connected, but it does not show up in 'My Computer' and the Blackberry Desktop Manager doesn't recognize it.

Please help if you have any ideas, I have a whole bunch of photos and videos to load on to this thing and I'm getting nowhere!

**Edit solved with hard restart!
    Last edited by Mikey_T; 10-09-11 at 11:31 AM.
    10-09-11 08:30 AM
    10-09-11 08:35 AM
    You could either read the user manual or you could restart the playbook while its connected to your pc.
    10-09-11 08:36 AM
    Go to Storage and Sharing, and change USB connections to" connect to Window" This may solve your problem.
    10-09-11 08:41 AM
    Well now it's not letting me do anything. I can navigate around the home menus but can't actually select or open any apps.
    10-09-11 08:50 AM
    Well now it's not letting me do anything. I can navigate around the home menus but can't actually select or open any apps.
    Are plugged into the computer? You need to read a little on here if you haven't all ready.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...tricks-607275/
    10-09-11 08:59 AM
    Nope not plugged into anything, not bridged. Just holding the tablet I can maximize and minimize the menu trays and switch between 'all', 'favorites', etc but it won't let me open anything, not even the power-off icon.
    10-09-11 09:02 AM
    Hold all at the same time until it reboots power - and +

Also the bezel is touch sensitive. I had some problems at first because I was holding it on the bezel so after I learned to keep my fingers off of it or near the edge of the playbook things like that would happen to me.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 10-09-11 at 09:06 AM. Reason: bezel
    10-09-11 09:04 AM
    Seems to be working again after a hard reset, thx.

And now it's connecting! Ok looks like I may be off and running. Thanks guys!
    10-09-11 09:12 AM
    You can also call blackberry playbook support BlackBerry - BlackBerry PlayBook Support free for 90 days, and they will spend the time with you to talk you through any issues.
    10-09-11 09:12 AM
    Great, glad you're off and running. Lots of good info here if you need help, just search and if you can't find what you're looking for just ask again.
    10-09-11 09:22 AM
    Hold all at the same time until it reboots power - and +

Also the bezel is touch sensitive. I had some problems at first because I was holding it on the bezel so after I learned to keep my fingers off of it or near the edge of the playbook things like that would happen to me.
    Why do people keep telling others to do a hard restart when a simple restart will accomplish the same thing 99% of the time? Yes, touching the bezel in two or more spots at the same will disable scrolling for the duration of the simultaneous touches. It confused me the first time I encountered it.
    10-09-11 10:29 AM
    Why do people keep telling others to do a hard restart when a simple restart will accomplish the same thing 99% of the time? Yes, touching the bezel in two or more spots at the same will disable scrolling for the duration of the simultaneous touches. It confused me the first time I encountered it.
    Seems to work for problems I've had over just a restart.
    10-09-11 10:30 AM
    Seems to work for problems I've had over just a restart.
    I suppose patterns of use vary but in 5 months of heavy use I used a hard restart once just to try it. I've used a forced restart (power button only) maybe a dozen times if that.
    10-09-11 10:40 AM
    So I finally got my 64 GB Playbook and so far it's been pretty underwhelming, I can't get it to work!

I finally got it updated to the latest device software (slow internet at home) but now the thing will not connect to my computer. The tablet says that it is connected, but it does not show up in 'My Computer' and the Blackberry Desktop Manager doesn't recognize it.

Please help if you have any ideas, I have a whole bunch of photos and videos to load on to this thing and I'm getting nowhere!

Welcome to berry fans !
    Now that it's solved, may you please change your title adding ": Solved (hard restart)" ?
    That way, others will instant know what to do and that it is not a real issue ...
    Thanks in advance !
    d3adcrab likes this.
    10-09-11 10:43 AM
    I meet the same problem of "not recognized by PC" last night. Pls ensure (1) you download the latest desktop software (2) latest device manager (3) latest USB driver. The (2) and (3) item seems should have been included in (1). However, i don't think so. Pls go to the followng link : "http://swdownloads.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do" , select USB and Modem driver and download the latest English version (BlackBerry USB and Modem Drivers ENG (DM6.1 B35)); select BB Desktop Software, and download the two things: Desktop Software v6.1.0 B34 and BlackBerry Device Manager ENG (DM610 B35). install all all them (1st desktop manager, 2nd device manager, 3rd usb driver). If you are running windows 7 64-bit, pls install service pack 1 (cuz bb's useb not initialize well in non-sp1-64bit environment). after all installation, go to PB and switch file sharing on and switch wifi sharing off. then connect, desktop will recognize PB and PB will show as a drive on my computer.
    10-09-11 11:15 AM
    jackyjeni:

That link does not work for the usb drivers.
    10-09-11 11:46 AM
    F2: i know it is not, however, only after install the usb driver, it can works, i don't know why. you may just try desktop software and device manager and turn off wifi. I don't know whether it will work. BTW, your PB works well via USB?
    Last edited by jackyjeni; 10-09-11 at 02:24 PM.
    10-09-11 02:21 PM
    F2: you can read this link and find USB driver it suggests, however, my windows 64-bit can not work according to this guide. Troubleshooting PlayBook USB connectivity issues on Windows | Brightpoint GB Blog
    10-09-11 02:23 PM
    i know it is not, however, only after install the usb driver, it can works, i don't know why. you may just try desktop software and device manager and turn off wifi. I don't know whether it will work. BTW, your PB works well via USB?
    I find it much easier to do like the link I posted, no need for the cable etc.
    10-09-11 02:24 PM
    F2: i know it is not, however, only after install the usb driver, it can works, i don't know why. you may just try desktop software and device manager and turn off wifi. I don't know whether it will work. BTW, your PB works well via USB?
    The usb does work. My problem is that Desktop manager will not work when I try to backup my pb. It gives an error, something about "content" and then fails.

With usb, I get another drive letter. But I use wifi-sharing constantly.
    10-09-11 03:02 PM
    The usb does work. My problem is that Desktop manager will not work when I try to backup my pb. It gives an error, something about "content" and then fails.

With usb, I get another drive letter. But I use wifi-sharing constantly.
    What OS are you using? Vista or 7? Have you ever tried turning UAC off? I don't have anything worth backing up on mine so I haven't attempted a backup.
    10-09-11 03:05 PM
    I successfully backed up my BlackBerry PlayBook on Friday afternoon while at the office without incident. I was using the latest version of BlackBerry Desktop Software and did not have to do anything special with the BlackBerry PlayBook except make sure WiFi was turned off. A full backup was completed in a few minutes; the tablet is my new 16GB model with content stored primarily on my BlackBerry Bold 9780 32GB media card. The computer was running Microsoft Windows XP Professional (32-bit). On my notebook running GNU/Linux and using Barry Backup without incident at home as well. Above all make sure WiFi is disabled when the tablet is plugged into the computer.

The issues you report sound like early releases of BlackBerry Tablet Operating System (aka BBPBOS aka BBX). Have you updated to the latest operating system and environment release 1.0.7.3312 (Build 66412). The backup process should be smooth at this point in time as many of us can attest.
    10-09-11 03:16 PM
    I just backed mine up. First tried with wifi off it said it completed. Unplugged it turned wifi on and tried again, again completed. Win7 64bit.
    10-09-11 03:44 PM
    Probably just to be safe , and it doesn't hurt.
    10-09-11 04:01 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD