Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 55
Like Tree18Likes
  1. Herve5's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    567 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default importing photos from a DSLR?

    I see with some surprise that there are a couple of image-editing applications that really are on par with Photoshop even for serious image processing (like, curves tool etc. in FotoStore pro or pixlr editor, and sorting/renaming in various other apps).
    The only missing function seems to be the ability to import photos inside the Playbook straight from the DSLR itself.

    I heard of these memory cards that incorporate a wifi interface: but I fear, you still have to join an existing network. What I wish is to download my pics to the PB in any outside place, thus: wifi-disconnected too.
    I know the PB USB port won't support simple 'data key support', unless I missed an app for this : but do you have other suggestions?

    With this one could drop entierely PC/Mac support and just leave with a DSLR and the PB ;-)

    TIA!
    Hervé
    Last edited by Herve5; 07-10-2012 at 10:27 AM.
  2. #2  

    Default

    Until or IF, Rim enables the usb port for external devices, there's no way to do it. At least, I don't think there is any current method.

    And I have not heard much new in this area in months.
  3. Herve5's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    567 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

    Default

    I found that the famous Eye-fi memory card (the ones incorporating wifi) do propose an app for... android machines that allows direct wifi connection and download. I contacted them for a PB port... I didn't find a sideloadable version for now...
  4. Witmen's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,028 Posts
    #4  

    Default

    This is one feature I really wish the PlayBook had. It has the hardware but the software isn't there yet.

    If I could do usb host mode from the PlayBook it would replace my laptop for a lot of things.
    Just Me likes this.
  5. Gordon1961's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    86 Posts
    #5  

    Default

    Now what i would love my Playbook to be able to do is this........
    Thanked by:
    Carl Estes (07-10-2012) 
  6. RicZoh's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    144 Posts
    PIN
    2982920C
    #6  

    Default importing photos from a DSLR?

    I'd like to see something come to the PlayBook that would allow functionality between it and my Canons.

    As an example of what I'd like to see: Just the other night I was setting up my gear for some night time time-lapse shots. The small screens on my cameras (60D & 5DMK1) just are not clear enough to tell if the shots are in focus or not (Especially the 5D's screen which is now about 10 years old). I was wishing for some way to display the photos, as they were taken, onto my PlayBook. That would make my life easier for a list of reasons.

    But, since nothing like that exists. I was forced to grab my giant laptop, and connect my camera to it via USB to see the pics via the Canon software.

    That DSLR controller, would do the trick I think.

    Sent from my Magical BlackBerry Bold 9900
  7. manofice1's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,536 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,564 Global Posts
    #7  

    Default

    I use Eye-Fi card with my playbook. It has a new "Direct-Mode" which creates it's own wifi network so if you are in the field you don't need wifi, the camera and playbook/ipad pair. Works well
    Ballin with Blackberry Z10 OS 10.1.0.2354 and
    Blackberry Playbook y0!!
    BlackBerry Certified Support Specialist (v5.0)
    Thanked by 6:
    Carl Estes (07-10-2012),  Herve5 (07-11-2012),  knottyrope (07-10-2012),  Majestic Lion (07-11-2012),  StringThing (07-16-2012),  sushistew (07-22-2012) 
  8. manofice1's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,536 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,564 Global Posts
    #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RicZoh View Post
    I'd like to see something come to the PlayBook that would allow functionality between it and my Canons.

    As an example of what I'd like to see: Just the other night I was setting up my gear for some night time time-lapse shots. The small screens on my cameras (60D & 5DMK1) just are not clear enough to tell if the shots are in focus or not (Especially the 5D's screen which is now about 10 years old). I was wishing for some way to display the photos, as they were taken, onto my PlayBook. That would make my life easier for a list of reasons.

    But, since nothing like that exists. I was forced to grab my giant laptop, and connect my camera to it via USB to see the pics via the Canon software.

    That DSLR controller, would do the trick I think.

    Sent from my Magical BlackBerry Bold 9900
    Eye-Fi card will do exactly what you want

    I'm actually getting ready to do a maternity shoot and will use my playbook to show results in real time.

    Talked about here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/android...ighlight=eyefi
    Last edited by manofice; 07-10-2012 at 12:07 PM.
    Ballin with Blackberry Z10 OS 10.1.0.2354 and
    Blackberry Playbook y0!!
    BlackBerry Certified Support Specialist (v5.0)
    Thanked by:
    RicZoh (07-11-2012) 
    Just Me and RicZoh like this.
  9. RicZoh's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    144 Posts
    PIN
    2982920C
    #9  

    Default

    Hey, thanks for linking to that. I really do appreciate it.

    This the first side loaded app I've come across that I want to use. Now, I have to find out how to do that, and buy an Eye-fi card.

    Thanks again!

    Sent from my Magical BlackBerry Bold 9900
  10. Carl Estes's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,583 Posts
    PIN
    Sir Glaurung the Great
    #10  

    Default I've been crying for this since launch......

    Quote Originally Posted by manofice View Post
    I use Eye-Fi card with my playbook. It has a new "Direct-Mode" which creates it's own wifi network so if you are in the field you don't need wifi, the camera and playbook/ipad pair. Works well
    I will check to verify that, and if true, I will be ordering one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    This a godsend.

    Thanks for the info.

    will let you know if/when I buy tomorrow.

    C
    Last edited by Carl Estes; 07-10-2012 at 03:36 PM.
  11. Carl Estes's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,583 Posts
    PIN
    Sir Glaurung the Great
    #11  

    Default OK, I just checked.......

    My current card, a Pro X2 DOES have the direct mode natively. So I don't have to upgrade my current card.

    I tried to connect my PB to it when I got the PB, and a few other times, but to no avail.

    I even had the Android app, and thought about trying a sideload, but I gots scared to do it.

    Will try again on the direct mode this eve/tomorrow.

    If you have step by step instructions that would be GREATLY appreciated. Otherwise, I will try to bulldog my way into this and see what happens.

    Thanks for "re-lighting" the fire.

    I need this when I do my nature panoramas, and when shooting indoors and my client can see the raw proofs as I'm "shoosting" (appologies to Lisa Douglas re: Green Acres)

    Thx

    C
  12. Carl Estes's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,583 Posts
    PIN
    Sir Glaurung the Great
    #12  

    Default Or........

    Quote Originally Posted by Witmen View Post
    This is one feature I really wish the PlayBook had. It has the hardware but the software isn't there yet.

    If I could do usb host mode from the PlayBook it would replace my laptop for a lot of things.
    Ad-Hoc.

    C
    Herve5 likes this.
  13. #13  

    Default

    Carl, let the rest of us know - I'd be interested if I can transfer in any location.
    Thanked by:
    Herve5 (07-11-2012) 
  14. Carl Estes's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,583 Posts
    PIN
    Sir Glaurung the Great
    #14  

    Default That's my goal folks........

    will try tonight but stuck late. If not tomorrow am Pacific time, the next day.......

    C
  15. manofice1's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,536 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,564 Global Posts
    #15  

    Default

    Make sure u grab the correct android version, I tried 3 different versions before I got one that worked.
    Ballin with Blackberry Z10 OS 10.1.0.2354 and
    Blackberry Playbook y0!!
    BlackBerry Certified Support Specialist (v5.0)
    Boight likes this.
  16. #16  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by manofice View Post
    Make sure u grab the correct android version, I tried 3 different versions before I got one that worked.
    Manofice: Would you mind sharing the version you sideloaded AND what model/version of card did you use? Thanks in advance.
    mszbzltn and Herve5 like this.
  17. Herve5's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    567 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  

    Default

    There is an Eye-fi .bar at good ereader (link below) : version 1.0.841 - is it the right one?

    Blackberry Playbook Android Apps | Good e-Reader Android App Store - Playbook App Store

    (edit) Also I just discover there is another long thread here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/android...75/index4.html
    with on page 3 a quite detailed ste-by-step

    H.
    Last edited by Herve5; 07-11-2012 at 02:30 AM.
    TNNurse likes this.
  18. caboose01's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    125 Posts
    #18  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RicZoh View Post
    I'd like to see something come to the PlayBook that would allow functionality between it and my Canons.

    As an example of what I'd like to see: Just the other night I was setting up my gear for some night time time-lapse shots. The small screens on my cameras (60D & 5DMK1) just are not clear enough to tell if the shots are in focus or not (Especially the 5D's screen which is now about 10 years old). I was wishing for some way to display the photos, as they were taken, onto my PlayBook. That would make my life easier for a list of reasons.

    But, since nothing like that exists. I was forced to grab my giant laptop, and connect my camera to it via USB to see the pics via the Canon software.

    That DSLR controller, would do the trick I think.

    Sent from my Magical BlackBerry Bold 9900
    A solution for your night shots rather than your laptop. Plug your camera into any protable DVD player. the cables that come with your camera plug right in just like on a TV.

    As far as editing on a playbook, not sure I would ever want to edit on a 7" screen or even a 10" screen especially one that is not calibrated.
    Thanked by:
    RicZoh (07-11-2012) 
  19. manofice1's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,536 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,564 Global Posts
    #19  

    Default

    I have the Connect X2 card
    Ballin with Blackberry Z10 OS 10.1.0.2354 and
    Blackberry Playbook y0!!
    BlackBerry Certified Support Specialist (v5.0)
  20. Carl Estes's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,583 Posts
    PIN
    Sir Glaurung the Great
    #20  

    Default Can you send link to....

    Quote Originally Posted by manofice View Post
    Make sure u grab the correct android version, I tried 3 different versions before I got one that worked.
    Can you send a link tothe actual app/version you got to work? I did a 3/4 hearted look this am on goodereader
    and could not find it. 4 hrs sleep and back at work. YUK! But I need to feed!

    Also, is you Playbook "stock" i.e. not rooted, but using the current version available to the majority of us? V2.o.1.358 ?

    I have a second PB 64Gb that I will try to do this on.
  21. manofice1's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,536 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,564 Global Posts
    #21  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Estes View Post
    Can you send a link tothe actual app/version you got to work? I did a 3/4 hearted look this am on goodereader
    and could not find it. 4 hrs sleep and back at work. YUK! But I need to feed!

    Also, is you Playbook "stock" i.e. not rooted, but using the current version available to the majority of us? V2.o.1.358 ?

    I have a second PB 64Gb that I will try to do this on.
    try this

    Top Android Apps | Good e-Reader Android App Store - Playbook App Store
    Ballin with Blackberry Z10 OS 10.1.0.2354 and
    Blackberry Playbook y0!!
    BlackBerry Certified Support Specialist (v5.0)
  22. Majestic Lion's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    589 Posts
    #22  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by manofice View Post
    I use Eye-Fi card with my playbook. It has a new "Direct-Mode" which creates it's own wifi network so if you are in the field you don't need wifi, the camera and playbook/ipad pair. Works well
    Thank you very much for this. I'll be contacting the developer of that side-loaded app to ask about a native PB app.
  23. Herve5's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    567 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #23  

    Default exact versions

    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Estes View Post
    Can you send a link tothe actual app/version you got to work? (...)
    Also, is you Playbook "stock" i.e. not rooted, but using the current version available to the majority of us? V2.o.1.358 ?
    I sideloaded Eye-Fi_1.0.841.bar on a stock 2.0.1.358 unrooted machine. (once loaded the eye-fi 'about' box says v. 1.084)

    Works *perfectly*, including the Direct Mode which was my first need: now I can travel everywhere with just the camera and the playbook.

    Direct mode triggers whenever there is no known wifi network available to upload images from the Nikon to the PB; later, when wifi is available, automatically the photos are re-uploaded to my personal ftp site and also on my home mac whenever it's switched on.

    I didn't buy the 'indefinite storage at eye-fi servers' so the very last point may not work if I don't turn the mac on for weeks, but the simple ftp autoupload is more than enough : I end with at least three copies of the photos: in the cam, in the tablet, and in my ftp server (plus a fourth one on the mac if it doesn't sleep more than a week)!
    There is also a setting allowing the card to auto-delete the oldest transmitted photos when it nears memory saturation, which honestly I don't even need, but this would solve the issue if really you leave for three month holidays

    Indeed I think I'm going to buy eye-fi cards for just all photo gear in the house.
    Last edited by Herve5; 07-16-2012 at 03:54 AM.
  24. #24  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Herve5 View Post
    I sideloaded Eye-Fi_1.0.841.bar on a stock 2.0.1.358 unrooted machine. (once loaded the eye-fi 'about' box says v. 1.084)

    Works *perfectly*, including the Direct Mode which was my first need: now I can travel everywhere with just the camera and the playbook.

    Direct mode triggers whenever there is no known wifi network available to upload images from the Nikon to the PB; later, when wifi is available, automatically the photos are re-uploaded to my personal ftp site and also on my home mac whenever it's switched on.

    I didn't buy the 'indefinite storage at eye-fi servers' so the very last point may not work if I don't turn the mac on for weeks, but the simple ftp autoupload is more than enough : I end with at least three copies of the photos: in the cam, in the tablet, and in my ftp server (plus a fourth one on the mac if it doesn't sleep more than a week)!
    There is also a setting allowing the card to auto-delete the oldest transmitted photos when it nears memory saturation, which honestly I don't even need, but this would solve the issue if really you leave for three month holidays

    Indeed I think I'm going to buy eye-fi cards for just all photo gear in the house.
    Thanks for the full review.

    One question: How much does this card and its operation affect the camera battery? It has to hasten the discharge?
  25. Carl Estes's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,583 Posts
    PIN
    Sir Glaurung the Great
    #25  

    Default Eye-Fi X2 Pro DOES WORK with Sideload

    It does work, you do have to fiddle with the Eye-Fi settings a bit, but it does work.

    Suggestion: Set it so it only sends the Jpegs to the Playbook,

    And you can send the RAW and Jpgs to the PC when you get home/ready/etc.

    The RAW file transfer sloooows it down alot, to much data, Jpgs are happy.

    F2 sent PM.

    C
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions