I see with some surprise that there are a couple of image-editing applications that really are on par with Photoshop even for serious image processing (like, curves tool etc. in FotoStore pro or pixlr editor, and sorting/renaming in various other apps).
    The only missing function seems to be the ability to import photos inside the Playbook straight from the DSLR itself.

I heard of these memory cards that incorporate a wifi interface: but I fear, you still have to join an existing network. What I wish is to download my pics to the PB in any outside place, thus: wifi-disconnected too.
    I know the PB USB port won't support simple 'data key support', unless I missed an app for this : but do you have other suggestions?

With this one could drop entierely PC/Mac support and just leave with a DSLR and the PB ;-)

TIA!
    Herv�
    Last edited by Herve5; 07-10-12 at 10:27 AM.
    07-10-12 08:39 AM
    Until or IF, Rim enables the usb port for external devices, there's no way to do it. At least, I don't think there is any current method.

And I have not heard much new in this area in months.
    07-10-12 09:36 AM
    I found that the famous Eye-fi memory card (the ones incorporating wifi) do propose an app for... android machines that allows direct wifi connection and download. I contacted them for a PB port... I didn't find a sideloadable version for now...
    07-10-12 10:30 AM
    This is one feature I really wish the PlayBook had. It has the hardware but the software isn't there yet.

If I could do usb host mode from the PlayBook it would replace my laptop for a lot of things.
    Just Me likes this.
    07-10-12 11:09 AM
    Now what i would love my Playbook to be able to do is this........
    07-10-12 11:26 AM
    I'd like to see something come to the PlayBook that would allow functionality between it and my Canons.

As an example of what I'd like to see: Just the other night I was setting up my gear for some night time time-lapse shots. The small screens on my cameras (60D & 5DMK1) just are not clear enough to tell if the shots are in focus or not (Especially the 5D's screen which is now about 10 years old). I was wishing for some way to display the photos, as they were taken, onto my PlayBook. That would make my life easier for a list of reasons.

But, since nothing like that exists. I was forced to grab my giant laptop, and connect my camera to it via USB to see the pics via the Canon software.

That DSLR controller, would do the trick I think.

Sent from my Magical BlackBerry Bold 9900
    07-10-12 11:57 AM
    I use Eye-Fi card with my playbook. It has a new "Direct-Mode" which creates it's own wifi network so if you are in the field you don't need wifi, the camera and playbook/ipad pair. Works well
    07-10-12 11:59 AM
    I'd like to see something come to the PlayBook that would allow functionality between it and my Canons.

As an example of what I'd like to see: Just the other night I was setting up my gear for some night time time-lapse shots. The small screens on my cameras (60D & 5DMK1) just are not clear enough to tell if the shots are in focus or not (Especially the 5D's screen which is now about 10 years old). I was wishing for some way to display the photos, as they were taken, onto my PlayBook. That would make my life easier for a list of reasons.

But, since nothing like that exists. I was forced to grab my giant laptop, and connect my camera to it via USB to see the pics via the Canon software.

Eye-Fi card will do exactly what you want

I'm actually getting ready to do a maternity shoot and will use my playbook to show results in real time.

Talked about here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/android...ighlight=eyefi
    Last edited by manofice; 07-10-12 at 12:07 PM.
    RicZoh and Just Me like this.
    07-10-12 12:01 PM
    Hey, thanks for linking to that. I really do appreciate it.

This the first side loaded app I've come across that I want to use. Now, I have to find out how to do that, and buy an Eye-fi card.

Thanks again!

07-10-12 02:45 PM
    I use Eye-Fi card with my playbook. It has a new "Direct-Mode" which creates it's own wifi network so if you are in the field you don't need wifi, the camera and playbook/ipad pair. Works well
    I will check to verify that, and if true, I will be ordering one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This a godsend.

Thanks for the info.

will let you know if/when I buy tomorrow.

C
    Last edited by Carl Estes; 07-10-12 at 03:36 PM.
    07-10-12 03:32 PM
    My current card, a Pro X2 DOES have the direct mode natively. So I don't have to upgrade my current card.

I tried to connect my PB to it when I got the PB, and a few other times, but to no avail.

I even had the Android app, and thought about trying a sideload, but I gots scared to do it.

Will try again on the direct mode this eve/tomorrow.

If you have step by step instructions that would be GREATLY appreciated. Otherwise, I will try to bulldog my way into this and see what happens.

Thanks for "re-lighting" the fire.

I need this when I do my nature panoramas, and when shooting indoors and my client can see the raw proofs as I'm "shoosting" (appologies to Lisa Douglas re: Green Acres)

Thx

C
    07-10-12 03:40 PM
    This is one feature I really wish the PlayBook had. It has the hardware but the software isn't there yet.

If I could do usb host mode from the PlayBook it would replace my laptop for a lot of things.
    Ad-Hoc.

C
    Herve5 likes this.
    07-10-12 03:44 PM
    Carl, let the rest of us know - I'd be interested if I can transfer in any location.
    Herve5 likes this.
    07-10-12 05:10 PM
    will try tonight but stuck late. If not tomorrow am Pacific time, the next day.......

C
    07-10-12 05:33 PM
    Make sure u grab the correct android version, I tried 3 different versions before I got one that worked.
    Boight likes this.
    07-10-12 05:38 PM
    Make sure u grab the correct android version, I tried 3 different versions before I got one that worked.
    Manofice: Would you mind sharing the version you sideloaded AND what model/version of card did you use? Thanks in advance.
    Herve5 and mszbzltn like this.
    07-10-12 08:09 PM
    There is an Eye-fi .bar at good ereader (link below) : version 1.0.841 - is it the right one?

Blackberry Playbook Android Apps | Good e-Reader Android App Store - Playbook App Store

(edit) Also I just discover there is another long thread here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/android...75/index4.html
    with on page 3 a quite detailed ste-by-step

H.
    Last edited by Herve5; 07-11-12 at 02:30 AM.
    TNNurse likes this.
    07-11-12 01:36 AM

A solution for your night shots rather than your laptop. Plug your camera into any protable DVD player. the cables that come with your camera plug right in just like on a TV.

As far as editing on a playbook, not sure I would ever want to edit on a 7" screen or even a 10" screen especially one that is not calibrated.
    RicZoh likes this.
    07-11-12 04:33 AM
    I have the Connect X2 card
    07-11-12 06:38 AM
    Can you send a link tothe actual app/version you got to work? I did a 3/4 hearted look this am on goodereader
    and could not find it. 4 hrs sleep and back at work. YUK! But I need to feed!

Also, is you Playbook "stock" i.e. not rooted, but using the current version available to the majority of us? V2.o.1.358 ?

I have a second PB 64Gb that I will try to do this on.
    07-11-12 10:17 AM
    Can you send a link tothe actual app/version you got to work? I did a 3/4 hearted look this am on goodereader
    and could not find it. 4 hrs sleep and back at work. YUK! But I need to feed!

Also, is you Playbook "stock" i.e. not rooted, but using the current version available to the majority of us? V2.o.1.358 ?

I have a second PB 64Gb that I will try to do this on.
    try this

Top Android Apps | Good e-Reader Android App Store - Playbook App Store
    07-11-12 10:38 AM
    Thank you very much for this. I'll be contacting the developer of that side-loaded app to ask about a native PB app.
    07-11-12 01:42 PM
    Can you send a link tothe actual app/version you got to work? (...)
    I sideloaded Eye-Fi_1.0.841.bar on a stock 2.0.1.358 unrooted machine. (once loaded the eye-fi 'about' box says v. 1.084)

Works *perfectly*, including the Direct Mode which was my first need: now I can travel everywhere with just the camera and the playbook.

Direct mode triggers whenever there is no known wifi network available to upload images from the Nikon to the PB; later, when wifi is available, automatically the photos are re-uploaded to my personal ftp site and also on my home mac whenever it's switched on.

I didn't buy the 'indefinite storage at eye-fi servers' so the very last point may not work if I don't turn the mac on for weeks, but the simple ftp autoupload is more than enough : I end with at least three copies of the photos: in the cam, in the tablet, and in my ftp server (plus a fourth one on the mac if it doesn't sleep more than a week)!
    There is also a setting allowing the card to auto-delete the oldest transmitted photos when it nears memory saturation, which honestly I don't even need, but this would solve the issue if really you leave for three month holidays

Indeed I think I'm going to buy eye-fi cards for just all photo gear in the house.
    Last edited by Herve5; 07-16-12 at 03:54 AM.
    07-16-12 03:46 AM
    I sideloaded Eye-Fi_1.0.841.bar on a stock 2.0.1.358 unrooted machine. (once loaded the eye-fi 'about' box says v. 1.084)

Works *perfectly*, including the Direct Mode which was my first need: now I can travel everywhere with just the camera and the playbook.

Direct mode triggers whenever there is no known wifi network available to upload images from the Nikon to the PB; later, when wifi is available, automatically the photos are re-uploaded to my personal ftp site and also on my home mac whenever it's switched on.

I didn't buy the 'indefinite storage at eye-fi servers' so the very last point may not work if I don't turn the mac on for weeks, but the simple ftp autoupload is more than enough : I end with at least three copies of the photos: in the cam, in the tablet, and in my ftp server (plus a fourth one on the mac if it doesn't sleep more than a week)!
    There is also a setting allowing the card to auto-delete the oldest transmitted photos when it nears memory saturation, which honestly I don't even need, but this would solve the issue if really you leave for three month holidays

Indeed I think I'm going to buy eye-fi cards for just all photo gear in the house.
    Thanks for the full review.

One question: How much does this card and its operation affect the camera battery? It has to hasten the discharge?
    07-16-12 07:35 AM
    It does work, you do have to fiddle with the Eye-Fi settings a bit, but it does work.

Suggestion: Set it so it only sends the Jpegs to the Playbook,

And you can send the RAW and Jpgs to the PC when you get home/ready/etc.

The RAW file transfer sloooows it down alot, to much data, Jpgs are happy.

F2 sent PM.

C
    07-16-12 12:45 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD