There seems to be a major problem with Playbook OS 2.0 and IMAP accounts. I've managed to get iCloud mail working, but no folders and emails to not sync both ways (if I send an email from the playbook it won't appear in the sent items on the iPhone or on icloud.com)

I have the same issue with my yahoo. Clearly Playbook OS 2.0 is not working with IMAP accounts, and is effectively turning them into POP accounts.

ActiveSync accounts seem to be fine (for 2 way sync)

Anyone had any luck with IMAP for iCloud or Yahoo (folders and 2-way syncing of items)??
    02-22-12 06:23 AM
    Don't know about iCloud, but my 2 IMAP ("native") mail accounts works perfectly in Sync with my outlook client (read/unread/ deleted). You may have a look into Icloud settings, there could be a "master/client" setting. Folders does not seem to be handled.
    02-22-12 06:29 AM
    All my imap stuff is working fine, I did however had to do advance set up and looked up the info as if it was android phone due to it being active sync
    02-22-12 06:29 AM
    Anyone know of the iCloud IMAP settings? Or Yahoo settings? I've got mail working on both, but even though they're using the IMAP server settings I can't get 2-way sync or folders

Also iCloud calendars I can't get working, wish I hadn't set everything up in iCloud now!!

Thanks for replies
    02-22-12 06:39 AM
    I got Yahoo IMAP working perfectly, no effort. I actually use Yahoo via Rogers (my ISP here in Canada).

imap.mail.yahoo.com
    smtp.mail.yahoo.com
    02-22-12 06:44 AM
    Yahoo POP3 and SMTP Settings:

Find below the basic POP3 settings for configuring any email program where you want to receive Yahoo mails.
    ■ �POP3 Server� � Set the POP server for incoming mails as pop.mail.yahoo.com. You will have to enable �SSL� and use 995 for Port.
    ■ �SMTP Server� � Set the SMTP server for outgoing mails as smtp.mail.yahoo.com. You will also have to make sure that �SSL� is enabled and use 465 for port. you must also enable �authentication� for this to work.
    ■ �Account Name or Login Name� � Your Yahoo Mail ID i.e. your email address without the domain �@yahoo.com�.
    ■ �Email Address� � Your Yahoo Mail address i.e. your email address including the domain �@yahoo.com�. E.g. [email protected]
    ■ �Password� � Your Yahoo Mail password.

Yahoo! Mail Plus users may have to set POP server as plus.pop.mail.yahoo.com and SMTP server as plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.com.

Note that you need to enable �Web & POP Access� in your Yahoo Mail account to send and receive Yahoo Mail messages through any other email program.

You will have to enable �Allow your Yahoo Mail to be POPed� under �POP and Forwarding�, to send and receive Yahoo mails through any other email client.
    02-22-12 06:46 AM
    I got Yahoo IMAP working perfectly, no effort. I actually use Yahoo via Rogers (my ISP here in Canada).

imap.mail.yahoo.com
    smtp.mail.yahoo.com
    Yep, those are the settings I'm using - no folders or 2-way sync
    02-22-12 06:52 AM
    All my imap stuff is working fine, I did however had to do advance set up and looked up the info as if it was android phone due to it being active sync
    You mean you can create/delete folders? Move messages from inbox to another folder? Saweet, I have been waiting for this. Lack of IMAP support has kept me away from BB for two years now. Now to find a the best deal on a playbook.
    02-22-12 02:33 PM
    Don't know about iCloud, but my 2 IMAP ("native") mail accounts works perfectly in Sync with my outlook client (read/unread/ deleted). You may have a look into Icloud settings, there could be a "master/client" setting. Folders does not seem to be handled.
    The email client apparently does not appear to sync IMAP folders correctly. After deleting an email on a PC at home, all other devices I may have on at the time, (Other PC's, android phone) all show that the folders are now empty, but the email remains on the Playbook. The accounts are set up properly as IMAP accounts. Anyone else notice this and, if so, what did you see and do about it (if anything)?
    Thanks
    02-25-12 10:49 PM
    The current IMAP implementation on the PlayBook does not support folders.

As for two-way stuff, it gets new messages fine, and I can delete on the PC and they delete immediately on the PlayBook. Deleting on the PlayBook removes them from the PC immediately.

Read/unread or Flag/Unflag goes through from PC to PB immediately. Same in other direction. (In my case, the PB "flag" becomes the Thunderbird "star".)

I don't get synchronization of the Sent folder, but I assume that's because on the IMAP server it's really a folder, and as I said folders are not supported yet on the PlayBook's IMAP implementation.

On the PlayBook side, the Sent folder is presumably just a local thing, so basically not associated with the IMAP sent folder. Same with Drafts.
    02-25-12 11:35 PM
    Come on RIM, let's get IMAP fully supported, including folders. Mail is useless as an organizing tool otherwise.
    02-26-12 01:19 PM
    Kind of silly that the sent emails folder doesn't sync with the IMAP settings. This is the only issue I have with the email.
    02-26-12 08:57 PM
    Sent mail sync is working for me with Windwos Live (Hotmail).
    02-26-12 09:08 PM

Find below the basic POP3 settings for configuring any email program where you want to receive Yahoo mails.
    ■ �POP3 Server� � Set the POP server for incoming mails as pop.mail.yahoo.com. You will have to enable �SSL� and use 995 for Port.
    ■ �SMTP Server� � Set the SMTP server for outgoing mails as smtp.mail.yahoo.com. You will also have to make sure that �SSL� is enabled and use 465 for port. you must also enable �authentication� for this to work.
    ■ �Account Name or Login Name� � Your Yahoo Mail ID i.e. your email address without the domain �@yahoo.com�.
    ■ �Email Address� � Your Yahoo Mail address i.e. your email address including the domain �@yahoo.com�. E.g. [email protected]
    ■ �Password� � Your Yahoo Mail password.

Yahoo! Mail Plus users may have to set POP server as plus.pop.mail.yahoo.com and SMTP server as plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.com.

Note that you need to enable �Web & POP Access� in your Yahoo Mail account to send and receive Yahoo Mail messages through any other email program.

You will have to enable �Allow your Yahoo Mail to be POPed� under �POP and Forwarding�, to send and receive Yahoo mails through any other email client.
    Can send and receive but no folders. RIM is working on it.
    02-26-12 09:13 PM
    For me everything in the inbox is syncing fine as far as downloading the messages, but when I send or reply to an email on the playbook it doesn't show up in my send email folder on my other devices. It only shows on the PB. I've also noticed that when I read or delete an email that it isn't updated correctly on my PB meaning is isn't removed from my playbook or marked as read on the PB when I read it on my computer.

I'm using my own domain, and everything is working as it should on my 3 computers using Outlook both 2007 and 2010. However the PB is not working as it should. It's close but still has a few issues that I'm hoping get fixed.
    petworks97 likes this.
    02-27-12 08:41 AM
    For me everything in the inbox is syncing fine as far as downloading the messages, but when I send or reply to an email on the playbook it doesn't show up in my send email folder on my other devices. It only shows on the PB. I've also noticed that when I read or delete an email that it isn't updated correctly on my PB meaning is isn't removed from my playbook or marked as read on the PB when I read it on my computer.

I'm using my own domain, and everything is working as it should on my 3 computers using Outlook both 2007 and 2010. However the PB is not working as it should. It's close but still has a few issues that I'm hoping get fixed.
    This is exactly the same issue a friend and I both have as well. We both have our own domains and our email accounts are hosted at GoDaddy via imap and while the Inbox works ok, none of the other folders are syncing. If I send a message from the PlayBook, it doesn't update the online folders, just the local sent folder on the PlayBook. My hotmail and business Exchange accounts are working perfectly otherwise.

We'll be contacting RIM today to see if this can be fixed or not and will post back here with the answer. Loving the little guy otherwise and I can use my domain webmail via the browser for now as a temporary workaround. Cheers!

Edit: I forgot to mention that I've already tried manually syncing the folders as well by pulling the messages down in each folder but that doesn't work either. My buddy talked to GoDaddy support and they say they can see the messages trying to sync on their server side but something is not connecting so they are suggesting it's a RIM issue. We'll see.

James
    Last edited by joudbren; 02-27-12 at 09:30 AM.
    02-27-12 09:27 AM
    Concerning the problem of synchronizing the sent mail folder:

Unless a mail client uses ActiveSync, there is no standard way of saving sent mail. A completely different mechanism is employed for sending mail when IMAP (or POP) is used for receiving mail.

IMAP servers and clients handle this differently, or don't at all. On the server side, for example, gmail does handle it -- when you send a message, gmail puts it in the sent folder. An IMAP mail client may also handle it -- the Mac Mail client copies a sent message into the server-side Sent folder and synchronizes it with a local copy.

Evidently the PlayBook maintains a local copy of sent mail. But how should this be synchronized with the various sent folders associated with the multiple email accounts that the PlayBook handles? It looks to me like this would be a complicated (but not impossible) task. The PlayBook would have to maintain some kind of unified Sent Mail folder (like the unified inbox). For POP servers, which have no server side folders, there would be just local copies. For ActiveSync servers, synchronization is well defined. For IMAP servers, though, the PlayBook would have to handle the two different situations: when the server maintains a Sent Mail folder, and when the server doesn't.

All that is to say, it is a bit more complicated than it may appear at first glance.

If anyone wants to get an idea of how complicated this can get, here is link to a LONG description of making the Mac Mail client work well with the gmail server via IMAP, along with a 20-step configuration procedure. This article is a couple of years old and things may have changed since, but it illustrates the complexity of things.

| TidBITS Networking: Achieving Email Bliss with IMAP, Gmail, and Apple Mail

[Macintosh] Mail, by itself, has some issues with any IMAP server, and Gmail, as a nonstandard IMAP server, has some issues with any IMAP client. When you put the two of them together, you can run into some interesting behavior.
    By convention, most IMAP servers and clients set aside special mailboxes for Drafts, Sent, Junk, and Trash, but the names used for each of these mailboxes differ from one program to another. Mail lets you designate any IMAP mailbox to serve any one of these purposes (by using commands on the Mailbox > Use This Mailbox For submenu). However, after you set up a new IMAP account, the first time you send a message, Mail looks for a mailbox named Sent Messages to store a copy in. If it doesn't find that mailbox, it creates it. (Similarly, when you first save a draft or delete a message, Mail looks for a Drafts mailbox or Deleted Messages mailbox, and if it doesn't find one with that exact name, it creates one. And, if you use Mail's built-in junk mail filtering to move suspected spam to a server-based Junk mailbox but there's no mailbox there named Junk, Mail creates one.) So, for example, even if you already had a mailbox on your IMAP server called Sent, which you wanted to use to hold sent messages, and even though Mail's mailbox list contains a mailbox called Sent, what happens behind the scenes is that Mail creates a new mailbox on the server called Sent Messages, displays that mailbox using the label "Sent," and uses that to store sent messages - while, at the same time, displaying your existing Sent mailbox separately in the mailbox list! This is incredibly confusing, especially when I have to explain to someone that their Sent mailbox isn't really their Sent mailbox, and that to fix the problem, they have to select the Sent mailbox listed under their IMAP account name, choose Mailbox > Use This Mailbox For > Sent, and then delete the Sent Messages mailbox that will suddenly, mysteriously appear where Sent used to be. Gah!

[For the gmail server:] Another source of confusion was what to do with the special mailboxes Drafts, Sent, Junk, and Trash - specifically, whether or not (in view of the odd label/mailbox behavior and the duplication of messages) to store their contents on the server. Google's Web site provided suggested settings, and some other Web sites I read offered conflicting advice. What I discovered was that with Google's recommended Mail settings, every time you send a message you get two copies - one stored in a local Sent mailbox and the other stored in Gmail's Sent Mail mailbox on the server (and, of course, synced locally too)!
    02-27-12 11:58 AM
    Unable to synch IMAP folders on PlayBook email client, I am using Netfirms. K9 running on Android player does it fine.
    02-27-12 12:15 PM
    The current IMAP implementation on the PlayBook does not support folders.

As for two-way stuff, it gets new messages fine, and I can delete on the PC and they delete immediately on the PlayBook. Deleting on the PlayBook removes them from the PC immediately.

Read/unread or Flag/Unflag goes through from PC to PB immediately. Same in other direction. (In my case, the PB "flag" becomes the Thunderbird "star".)
    Same here - no issues with sync but frustrated by lack of support for folders. However, this is the same on my BB handset so I don't expect any improvement any time soon
    02-27-12 12:26 PM
    I can't seem to get them to sync up either.
    I receive emails on each, after the lag, but can't delete/read on all.

Even with google sync app on device, gmail set to imap (push), outlook settings set, I still have to use the refresh in PB and google sync app on device to make it sync.

I'm happy that it's working, but it's far from seamless.
    02-27-12 12:52 PM
    Concerning the problem of synchronizing the sent mail folder:

...Evidently the PlayBook maintains a local copy of sent mail. But how should this be synchronized with the various sent folders associated with the multiple email accounts that the PlayBook handles? It looks to me like this would be a complicated (but not impossible) task. The PlayBook would have to maintain some kind of unified Sent Mail folder (like the unified inbox). For POP servers, which have no server side folders, there would be just local copies. For ActiveSync servers, synchronization is well defined. For IMAP servers, though, the PlayBook would have to handle the two different situations: when the server maintains a Sent Mail folder, and when the server doesn't.

All that is to say, it is a bit more complicated than it may appear at first glance.

[/I]
    I hear what you are saying but as mentioned in my previous email, this is working perfectly well on my iPad, iPhone and Mac Mail. The iPad and iPhone sync the sent items folder either manually or when a mail poll is done to the server. One big thing I notice though on the iPhone/iPad mail is they have a setting that allows you to map the Apple folders to the appropriate folders on the imap server. PlayBook has no such settings and any additional folders in my account that are on the server are not duplicated or mapped to the PlayBook, unlike on my Apple devices.

I spoke with GoDaddy as well this morning and apparently they can see the emails being sent to the recipient but then the sent items folder seems to be waiting for the sent mail to come to the server and it never arrives. I'm assuming this is because their is no mapping between the folders and no way to manually sync the mail to the correct folders. Not sure if that is correct but hopefully RIM can beef up the mail app to fix this as imap seems to be getting more and more popular. Lots of folks live in a world now with multiple mobile devices and PC's that all need to be synchronized. Cheers!

James
    02-27-12 03:48 PM
    So, the short and sweet version is that there is (presently) no IMAP support for Playbook email? That's is the problem so many are having with their personal folders in their email accounts (Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc) not showing up?
    02-27-12 04:11 PM
    Problem is BB and not Web Hosting services, K9 Email Client works with all IMAP servers.
    K9Email.bar - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage
    02-28-12 09:41 AM
    I've been looking around at the way things are setup and maybe it's the naming and possibly the folder setup? I know that outlook has the same folder but they are located differently and named differently as well.

I've setup my gmail and it is functions correctly with the IMAP, sent items and all. digging through the setup it looks like it's how the folders are located and named differently.

My IMAP with my domain is setup with the sent folder in the inbox folder, the Gmail setup has both the Inbox and Sent items folder under the main account.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
    02-28-12 10:59 AM
    There seems to be a major problem with Playbook OS 2.0 and IMAP accounts. I've managed to get iCloud mail working, but no folders and emails to not sync both ways (if I send an email from the playbook it won't appear in the sent items on the iPhone or on icloud.com)

I have the same issue with my yahoo. Clearly Playbook OS 2.0 is not working with IMAP accounts, and is effectively turning them into POP accounts.

ActiveSync accounts seem to be fine (for 2 way sync)

Anyone had any luck with IMAP for iCloud or Yahoo (folders and 2-way syncing of items)??
    iCloud is not supported by RIM, but that's an Apple issue. If you try going to www.icloud.com on your PB you'll see Apples message saying you must be using a Mac to login.

A.
    02-28-12 11:11 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD