I've only had my PB for 2 weeks now but I've had no problems to speak of. When I do have some minor puzzlement I simply either figure it out or just look for the answer here or on BlackBerry.com.

.. Did an OTA update (1.0.08) out of the box. Download took 5 min and install about 20 then I did a reboot and left it alone for an hour thinking it probably had a lot of post-update work to do in the background. Next I did a hard reset and left it sit for about 30 min and had ZERO issues.
    .. Ditto for OS2
    .. Dimmed screen well below factory default (wayy too bright)
    .. Keeping bluetooth and wireless off unless in use
    .. Battery lasts 10+ hrs a day even with frequent bridging and moderate to heavy use
    .. Bridge install on my 9800 and 9000 was fast and worked first try, I read the instructions
    .. No problems installing or using apps
    .. Sure, found a few minor puzzlements with new PIM but again, easily solved.

In summary, be patient, don't rush things, read before posting.
    02-26-12 09:22 AM
    That's how its gone for me aswell. All in all very nice update.
    02-26-12 09:31 AM
    Ditto with everything the OP has done and not one single problem for me as well.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    02-26-12 09:36 AM
    I was thinking of this today too. I keep wondering why folks are having so much trouble because we are dealing with the exact same hardware and operating system. As a Linux user, it is not uncommon to have varying issues because of so many different distributions installed such a vast array of hardware. However, there seems to be a plethora of Playbook people who have bizzare issues of which I have never experienced.

At the same time, there are also a number of people who complain about things that aren't problems at all. I've seen numerous complaints about the GLOW feature which is actually part of the OS. I think if folks did the barest amount of research instead of immediately posting what they believe is a problem, there wouldn't be as many complaints. But like the majority of computer users, they must be spoon-fed any information that is beyond powering the unit on.

As with ANY operating system distribution, it is ALWAYS good practice to delete the old system and install the new version fresh. In Linux as well as Apple and Windows, rolling upgrades often tend to be problematic. Therefore, when 2.0 came out, I security wiped my PB, let it install OTA, reinstalled my data, and haven't had a single glitch since.

In addition, it would interesting to know how many third party applications are running simultaneously when these folks have their "mystery problems". Almost any issue I have had with computers over the past 35 years has been due to external applications either hogging resources or causing breaks in the command structure of system calls.
    Last edited by rs422a; 02-26-12 at 09:51 AM.
    suzieque, kbz1960, kozmo68 and 1 others like this.
    02-26-12 09:38 AM
    Ditto with everything the OP has done and not one single problem for me as well.
    I think a lot of the update problems including bricking is because the first reboot seems to take forever and perhaps people are presuming there's an issue so they force a restart mid-update and that causes the bricking or odd problems depending on what stage the install was interrupted at.
    02-26-12 09:42 AM
    Yep, perfect execution since day 1, and post OS 2.0. I also agree with the OP, read/search/Google before you post.
    02-26-12 09:50 AM
    I think a lot of the update problems including bricking is because the first reboot seems to take forever and perhaps people are presuming there's an issue so they force a restart mid-update and that causes the bricking or odd problems depending on what stage the install was interrupted at.
    That's a bit out in left field. . Bricking, I heard it here first.
    Last edited by Dapper37; 02-26-12 at 09:54 AM.
    02-26-12 09:51 AM
    Ya...my Playbook is perfect
    Stewartj1 and EricB1968 like this.
    02-26-12 09:53 AM
    I've only had my PB for 2 weeks now but I've had no problems to speak of. When I do have some minor puzzlement I simply either figure it out or just look for the answer here or on BlackBerry.com.
    In summary, be patient, don't rush things, read before posting.
    Congratulations, you are a genius!

Just remember, you created a new thread to tell the rest of us how cr*p WE are, cheers! I bet you never ask for directions if you get lost, either

I mean this in fun, but your point, whilst well meaning, does come over a tad patronising. People panic when they can't work out what to do. I am familiar with this type of forum's search function and I STILL find it difficult to find things - sometimes the terminology is unfamiliar.

Be kind!
    Last edited by Bluemoonjules; 02-26-12 at 10:00 AM.
    02-26-12 09:57 AM
    My experience with the Playbook has been overwhelmingly positive compared to my experiences with my iPad and Acer A500 Android tablet.

Any glitches I have come across were resolved by consulting the fine folks here at the Crackberry forums.

My biggest issues with iPad was the $800 bill I got for Smurfberries ( what puts a $99 one button purchase in a game aimed at children) and the horrible performance of ios5 compared to ios4 not to mention not allowing me to downgrade back.

The Android tablet has been better. The official App Market support is awesome and the full size USB port that supports keyboards, mice and USB memory drives is great but I hate the way performance just crumbles as the day goes on.

I mention these not to complain per say but just to give some specific examples of issues I personally have had.

On the Playbook I have every app I need, I'd like to have official Dropbox as integrated as it is on my 9810 Torch, Netflix would be nice and Skype I would use. Other than that I can use the web for almost everything else.

OS2 for me went very well. Smooth upgrade, browser hasn't crashed once (unlike the beta), more quality games than I can play, DocumentsToGo, and native email setup had no glitches connecting to my Exchange server, Go Daddy hosted email or Gmail. Playbook is fast and holds a charge all day for me. Each night it goes on my charging stand( which can be a bit finicky) and Antair wakes me up with a gentle grandfather clock chime.

And at current sale prices the Playbook kills the Kobo Vox my sister bought. Vox is very underpowered and with no official App Market support loading apps on that is a pain. The Vox feels cheap and clunky.

I wish they had Amazon Fire support up here in Canada as I'd love to try out that gizmo but the Playbook is the best for me.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-26-12 10:21 AM
    While it is nice that some have had no problems, when my battery plummets from 80% to 13% overnight on Standby, I may have an issue and it's nice to find that others may have seen something similar. We can then start thrashing concepts about and maybe help each other. The pb is not perfect but it is better than it was under OS1 in my opinion.
    peter9477 likes this.
    02-26-12 10:28 AM
    It seems that those who did an upgrade from new or post a full wipe are having much better results then some that did an upgrade without a wipe. I did a simple upgrade on mine, no wipe, and some things were a but buggy. On another unit, out of the box, upgraded on first start up and 2.0 ran flawlessly. I have since backed mine up and did a full wipe and re-install of 2.0. Since then things are very stable and run very well. So I suggest if you are on the buggy side, try a full wipe and upgrade.

This same theory holds true for iOS as well, check chat boards for apple when they release a major upgrade and you will find users that have to do a full wipe and re-set as some things are buggy. In fact, it happens for Windows as well, any good admin will tell you a clean install is nothing like an upgrade from one version to the next (ie XP to Vista or Vista to Win7).
    02-26-12 10:38 AM

Just remember, you created a new thread to tell the rest of us how cr*p WE are, cheers! I bet you never ask for directions if you get lost, either

I mean this in fun, but your point, whilst well meaning, does come over a tad patronising. People panic when they can't work out what to do. I am familiar with this type of forum's search function and I STILL find it difficult to find things - sometimes the terminology is unfamiliar.

Be kind!
    Jules, none of us including StewartJ, have a problem with folks coming here and asking questions/directions. We love it and enjoy the challenge of helping suss out some issue. But it's the malicious whining from people when they can't figure out how to use the power button or their wifi doesn't work cuz they turned wifi off and they set up a thread with a title like "worst device ever" and proceed to rattle off some arcane complex situation. Don't get me wrong, none of us have a problem with trying to sort out unusual situations, but when these threads shout that the PB is the cause of their dilemma and they cr*p on this little device, then please forgive the op for perhaps seeming to cr*p on them.
    02-26-12 10:39 AM
    Problems will vary from user to user, some more severe than others; and some users are easily frustrated while some have the patience to deal with certain problems. With that said, every user on CrackBerry has a right to voice their frustrations, as long as they are not trolling but sincerely, and constructively expressing their grouses.

They do not need to be told to suck it up and be patient. While some users bash the PlayBook, there are many others that express their problems (albeit panicky) in hopes of getting assistance.

Another thing to consider, you have had your PlayBook for 2 weeks, some have had theirs for much longer: some installed the leaked android player, some have installed OS2 beta, and some side load all sorts of apps. These things compound problems that may arise and make problems different from user to user.

So let they that wish to whine, whine and let they that wish to vent, vent. I encourage people to post their problems - minor or major. I enjoy helping when I can and people benefit form the voicing of these problems.
    02-26-12 10:49 AM
    Are you guys all saying you turn off WIFI unless it's needed? Am I missing something here? I can use my PB without WIFI when using it as offline video player or ebook, but having to manually turn on/off WIFI would be a major inconvenience.
    02-26-12 10:56 AM
    I never wiped my pb, the update was available and I did it. Haven't had a problem yet. I'm really enjoying my pb so far.
    tour_ism likes this.
    02-26-12 10:57 AM

Be kind!
    BMJ,
    Really? Perhaps you should reread the last line of your post. Calling the OP a "Genius" is not really kind. Just Sayin!
    02-26-12 10:58 AM
    Are you guys all saying you turn off WIFI unless it's needed? Am I missing something here? I can use my PB without WIFI when using it as offline video player or ebook, but having to manually turn on/off WIFI would be a major inconvenience.
    I don't. Mine is almost always on. Battery life is still great. I do however leave bluetooth off when not in use.
    02-26-12 11:04 AM
    The only time I had problems with mine was loading up the beta 2.0. I had a number of issues that it made sense to just roll back to 1.7. That took a couple of attempts and finally a wipe to get it all straightened out. I have not done a wipe for any other installs before or after, and this thing has been running pretty much flawlessly since then.

But I don't doubt that some people are having unusual issues. All it takes is one unique and unforeseen combination of apps, settings, networks, cosmic interference, any number of things to interrupt one key component from functioning, and you're bricked. I do sympathize with these folks because I've been there with other devices (luckily not with any of my Berry's).

I have a Garmin GPS, for example, that would not unlock when I first got it until I plugged it in to my computer and composed a text file with a specific name containing a specific string and saved it in a specific folder on the unit itself. No idea why, I'd never heard of anyone else having to do that, and anybody who wasn't the least bit computer savvy probably would have chucked it and cursed Garmin as the epitome of pure evil (I didn't, I just did what I had to do and proceeded to use the thing for what it was meant for). Point is, this stuff happens with all kinds of technology for any number of reasons, many times through no fault of the user. We're the ones who should be showing a little patience. Deriding those with issues for being impatient or causing them themselves isn't helping anyone. Likewise, those with issues ought not condemn the whole brand because of them; these things happen, and there's always a solution.
    02-26-12 11:14 AM
    While it is nice that some have had no problems, when my battery plummets from 80% to 13% overnight on Standby, I may have an issue and it's nice to find that others may have seen something similar. We can then start thrashing concepts about and maybe help each other. The pb is not perfect but it is better than it was under OS1 in my opinion.
    Agree, I've learned a LOT from such threads.
    02-26-12 11:28 AM
    Well I wiped mine and then did a debrick. No new issues but some old ones remain such as I still get an occasional browser crash. I haven't bothered with the new pim.
    02-26-12 11:30 AM
    One press of the finger-off
    One press it the finger-on

Wi-fi and bluetooth knock the he'll out of batteries. (in any device)
    bounce007 likes this.
    02-26-12 11:36 AM
    If you're connected to a WiFi just leave wireless on, it won't eat much battery.

An unconnected WiFi eats battery faster as it's constantly scanning for a connection but not nearly as fast as fast as an unconnected bluetooth.

The easiest way to turn either on/off is by tapping the appropriate icon to the left of the battery icon on the main screen.
    02-26-12 11:53 AM
    While I'm no fan of rants either, I can certainly understand the frustration of some in here. I'm sure you haven't had many issues since you updated a fresh new pb. Some in here have had their pbs almost a year and have gone thru several updates (not even including the beta which I realize could cause issues). I think compassion and courtesy on both sides will go a long way in getting problems solved. I'm just thrilled I can finally backup my pb without trying 7 TIMES!
    02-26-12 12:26 PM
    The OP may have generalized a bit, but isn't too far off track. Sure, it is to be expected that a few unusual problems will pop up under certain circumstances. Anytime you download something, there is a possibility of data errors or some evil gremlin mucking things up.

However, there do seem to be a lot of threads posted by first or second time posters who do a lot of whining. It's one thing when a first post says "Hey, my PB is doing this or not doing that. Can someone help me out?" It's when that first or second post is there to tell us what a piece of garbage the PB is because they are having a certain problem with it. It's even more frustrating when the "problem" is one that was, most likely, self inflicted.

I've experienced very few problems since I bought my PB last April. The issues I did have where easily solved with info from CB. That's not to say that I didn't panic on a couple of occasions, but I did my due diligence and found the solution I needed.

My point is this. If your a PB and CB newbee, and you have a trail of post seeking a solution, I welcome, I respect, and I salute you. Further more, if I can, I will provide assistance. However, if your first response is to post about how "unacceptable" the PB is, and how "Finished" RIM is, then sorry but your either a troll or a word they apparently won't allow here that rhymes with nidiot.

BTW, I have never heard of any type of computing device that has functioned 100% perfect for 100% of the people who own them 100% of the time. Often, the biggest problem can be how one deals with a problem.
    Last edited by justincase1911; 02-26-12 at 12:31 PM.
    02-26-12 12:26 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD