For anyone who feels like they've hit a wall with their PlayBook as I once did thanks to the BlackBerry 10 OS update being **** canned, I recommend upgrading to an unlocked 4G LTE version. Not only is it faster at processing, the LTE is as fast as what my router sends out (running it on AT&T with zero issues). It's like a whole new tablet with a few extras here and there. I won't spoil all the highlights, but once you get your hands on one, you'll see what I mean. Verizon people might be SOL, but AT&T was made for it. Uses the same SIM as the Z10 ( and others), and the minute you pop the SIM in, instant update to 2.1.0.1282 with some hidden extras. Awesome deal if you love the PlayBook and want to continue the legacy.

I used my Z10 to create this CrackBerry madness!
    10-04-13 09:16 PM
    I am a bit confused. May be because I am in Canada and not too familiar with AT&T's offerings

Are you running it on 4G or Wifi?

You mentioned it runs as fast your router's output, so that would be on Wifi?
    AT&T would be 4G then?
    How does it then perform?
    What sort of a data package do you get from AT&T?
    10-04-13 09:34 PM
    I am running it using AT&T 4G LTE service. The data package is whatever I have for my Z10 since I swap the SIM back and forth (I have no need to keep the PlayBook on AT&T service constantly, just as a backup option) . The 4G LTE service I receive when using only a 4G LTE connection on the PlayBook is equal to the speed of Wi Fi through my router or any other extremely fast hot spot.

10-05-13 05:50 AM
    I have no interest in LTE. But would like one of these for the processor.

Can I get the latest software via wifi or Desktop?
    10-05-13 08:26 AM
    No issues with my wifi version on 2.1.0.1753
    10-05-13 08:34 AM
    So if your old pb was always on wifi you would not be angry either? It was all a speed issue for you using bridge??
    10-05-13 08:40 AM
    The 4G LTE does not need Bridge. It has a SIM slot. Over Bridge, the WiFi only PlayBook does not achieve LTE speeds. Yes, it's worth the processor speed bump AND LTE cellular service.

10-05-13 09:14 AM
    I'm not too fond of the os to be honest. I was really hoping for bb10 on the pb.

Going from a bb10 to a pb browser is a big step back for me.

Posted from my Z10 using CB10
    10-05-13 09:17 AM
    How about the fact that some of the BlackBerry 10 apps already installed on your BlackBerry 10 phone mysteriously show up in World (uninstalled tab) on the LTE PlayBook and can be installed with zero issue?

10-05-13 09:42 AM
    Eh, you mean to say that lte versions of playbook can load the bb10 apps via the uninstalled section?

Sent from my A500 using CB Forums mobile app
    10-05-13 09:55 AM
    No issues with my wifi version on 2.1.0.1753
    So you were able to get to 0.1753 with no SIM?

Wonder why OP stopped at 0.1282 (even with SIM)?
    10-05-13 10:07 AM
    So you were able to get to 0.1753 with no SIM?

Wonder why OP stopped at 0.1282 (even with SIM)?
    Because for the lte version, carriers have to approve os updates lmfao. US wifi users got it on day 0
    10-05-13 10:12 AM
    Because for the lte version, carriers have to approve os updates lmfao. US wifi users got it on day 0
    I'm about done trying to understand his. Some posters say they can't update without the SIM. Others say they get updates without the SIM (and carriers holding them back).

I'd like a Playbook LTE for the processor but have zero interest in activating LTE.
    10-05-13 10:27 AM
    You only have to insert a SIM to get the LTE to update to the latest OS version for the 4G LTE PlayBook. It doesn't have to be active and the update actually occurs over WiFi if you let it. You can remove the SIM whenever after that. While you are lyfao at us not getting our updates on day "0", we are lofao at you trying to find WiFi and waiting forever for things to load.

10-05-13 10:38 AM
    You only have to insert a SIM to get the LTE to update to the latest OS version for the 4G LTE PlayBook. It doesn't have to be active and the update actually occurs over WiFi if you let it. You can remove the SIM whenever after that. While you are lyfao at us not getting our updates on day "0", we are lofao at you trying to find WiFi and waiting forever for things to load.

Wrong. I have mobile hot spot and bridge. I've never been without an Internet connection in years, on my pc or PlayBook. Lte hotspot is actually faster than my home wifi. Waiting forever for things to load? You're the one on the old os.

For the previous poster, if you don't insert a sim you won't get updates. If you insert the sim the device registers with the carrier and the carrier will push their approved update out. Aka, you might never get updated 1753 etc if your carrier decides to stop supporting the lte PlayBook
    10-05-13 10:50 AM
    Which is debunked since AT&T never sold the 4G LTE PlayBook. Try again.

nah.uhh likes this.
    10-05-13 10:55 AM
    Which is debunked since AT&T never sold the 4G LTE PlayBook. Try again.

Fair enough. Now that I'm thinking back, it could be that the lte PlayBook on different hardware, might not be running an identical os build to the wifi version by design. So my original comment could have been way way off. But when the device was released they were both running the same builds.

To make my position clear. I think lte radio in the device is a waste and bad trade off. But I have nothing against the speed upgrades (I think and extra .5ghz is the main difference, which Is a 50% increase over wifi version) The lte playbook also has a smaller battery to make room for the lte radio and cost (from what in seeing) nearly twice as much as the wifi version.

Wondering, can you use nfc?
    10-05-13 11:23 AM
    I always wondered if I can overclock the 1ghz playbook to 1.5ghz

Posted via CB10
    10-05-13 11:28 AM
    My PlayBook has been running smooth and fast. Not exactly sure what was wrong with your WiFi only PlayBook, but I'm glad your happy with your new LTE version...ENJOY. LOVING my PlayBook and Z10.....they work for me and what I use mobile devices for
    10-05-13 11:35 AM
    Gonna check the NFC on Texas Hold Em later. I know it's in there.

10-05-13 11:46 AM
    I always wondered if I can overclock the 1ghz playbook to 1.5ghz

Posted via CB10
    Don't think that's a good idea anyway - OMAP 4420 is at that clock speed for a reason.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-13 11:56 AM
    It would be easier and less costly in the long run to upgrade to the 4G LTE model. Seller on eBay has less than 40 left. Strike while the iron is hot.

10-05-13 12:01 PM
    You only have to insert a SIM to get the LTE to update to the latest OS version for the 4G LTE PlayBook. It doesn't have to be active and the update actually occurs over WiFi if you let it. You can remove the SIM whenever after that.
    Thanks for your most recent posts here and on the other thread (I assume the remainder of the quoted post above was aimed at someone else...). Just ordered one and will cross my fingers that I can beg/borrow an AT&T SIM and make it work.
    10-05-13 12:27 PM
    Yeah it was aimed at someone else. Just Team WiFi versus Team 4G LTE disagreement.

10-05-13 12:53 PM
    So I can drop a Rogers SIM card in it, run the updates and then remove the SIM after I'm done?
    Also, what apps did you suddenly manage to get from BB10 onto your Playbook?
    neiltb likes this.
    10-05-13 01:40 PM
45 12