I've been to two different stores to play with it, and the experience has been a disaster. That's not the device's fault, either. On both occasions, the demo model in the store was set up so that I couldn't see the web browser or much of anything in action. Video demos were about the most I could see. I had a hard time getting used to moving between different panels through the swipe/touch gestures, and store employees both places didn't know how to use the device, didn't walk me through its operations or highlight its features, and really didn't seem at all interested in selling it to me. I've read good reviews about the PB, like the form factor, love the price and am confident I can find personal and professional uses for it. But I really want to get more of a full-fledged experience playing with the device before buying it and want to feel like I'm buying it at a store that respects the product (and will actually fix it if it something goes wrong) before making the investment. Anyone have any advice on where to shop next? I'm in the Virginia suburbs of DC. I'm looking to pair a new phone with a tablet, and think Blackberry could be a good combo.
    gedvondur likes this.
    03-11-12 12:50 AM
    PBs are usually on display at Best Buy, Staples, Office Depot, sometimes RadioShack. You may want to call them before going there to make sure they have a demo unit available.
    03-11-12 12:56 AM
    Don't worry too much about getting hands on before your purchase.
    I'm in Australia and I've yet too see a playbook display in the flesh,or even a mention of it in any of my local or not-so-local stores. I bought mine online and the first time I touched or even SAW a PB was when I got mine. You won't be disappointed, trust me.
    If you want too here about its features or know how to navigate it, I'm sure you'll find the answer somewhere in a forum comprised completely of BB groupies. Lolz.
    Sorry I can't help us out with where to get one in ur area, but I just wanted to give you a little reassurance
    03-11-12 01:02 AM
    I got my PB without any hands-on experience on it but got all I need from the reviews and detailed walk-through here in CB. If you like what you are reading, it'll probably fit your needs
    EricB1968, Snap51 and cranky_berry like this.
    03-11-12 01:19 AM
    I strongly recommend you interact with any device before buying. What some people love you may hate, and vice versa.

Failing that, I would recommend you choose the retailer very carefully, and inquire about their return policies.
    03-11-12 01:23 AM
    I bought mine online and the first time I touched or even SAW a PB was when I got mine.
    I got my PB without any hands-on experience on it but got all I need from the reviews and detailed walk-through here in CB

Ditto !! All i cared about at the time before purchase was getting a tablet that supported flash. I've read online that the PlayBook supports that and without ever physically holding one I purchased online. Not my normal way of doing business but I'm glad I bought it. No other tablet at this time would make me happier to own.
    Shutterbug97 likes this.
    03-11-12 01:40 AM
    i also got mine without any hands on experience, i had hands on experience with iPad2 and samsung galaxy tab and i found both to be less impressive than the playbook. buy with confidence
    03-11-12 01:48 AM
    I strongly recommend you interact with any device before buying. What some people love you may hate, and vice versa.

Failing that, I would recommend you choose the retailer very carefully, and inquire about their return policies.
    Definitely. A good return policy is always advisable, even if you had a chance to try it out.
    03-11-12 01:58 AM
    BB os7 + playbook is a super combo.. Go for it!! Im on 9810+pb
    03-11-12 06:02 AM
    I went to a Carphone Warehouse and the manager there couldn't praise the device highly enough! Brought it, took it home only to find it was bricked - took it back the following day and he exchanged it for a 32gb unit for me (as well as throwing in a free case & setting it up for me) am loving my Playbook as it's so simple to use (looking forward to a UK video store in the coming months and maybe usb otg)
    03-11-12 07:09 AM
    look at youtube vids...I bought mine online, having had a quick play on one at PC world....without any salesperson interfering....
    haveusean likes this.
    03-11-12 07:17 AM
    I have two playbooks and purchased them with no hands on. I am an early adopter and the experience gets better every day.I purchased at the source which is your Radio Shack.I also have a curve 9360 because of the bridge feature and there is no looking back.
    03-11-12 08:47 AM
    I just rushed over to Staples release day and bought the PlayBook!
    No hands-on needed, you can always return it!
    03-11-12 08:49 AM
    I have the 16GB.... I want either the 64GB, and if a new faster version comes out... I'll be getting it for sure. Being able to do pretty much everything with it...like watching the NBA All Star game from another country, streamed in the browser via Flash. Now with OS2, you won't be disappointed. However, we need a native optimized version of SKYPE, TWITTER, and KINDLE!
    03-11-12 10:20 AM
    Maybe you could schedule a meet-up with a local person. Remember the old computer clubs.... (am I dating myself)
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-11-12 10:33 AM
    Maybe you could schedule a meet-up with a local person. Remember the old computer clubs.... (am I dating myself)
    Is the dating going well

Like other have said check the return policy.
    03-11-12 10:37 AM
    In tablets as with everything else, it pays to buy from a retailer that knows and respects the product. That said, my experience of looking at PBs in various stores is as follows (and the differences may in some cases but not all have more to do with the individuals I dealt with): Wal-Mart is still charging the full price, which rules them out automatically, and offers no help/advice; Best Buy provided info that was wrong on several counts; Staples rep was knowledgeable; Future Shop apparently would rather sell another brand. I bought from Staples and have no regrets about that decision.
    03-11-12 11:38 AM
    Is the dating going well
    Well, I'm a good conversationalist and I get along well with myself. So, yes, not bad so far. Nice of you to ask!!!!!!!
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-11-12 12:02 PM
    I've been to two different stores to play with it, and the experience has been a disaster. That's not the device's fault, either. On both occasions, the demo model in the store was set up so that I couldn't see the web browser or much of anything in action. Video demos were about the most I could see. I had a hard time getting used to moving between different panels through the swipe/touch gestures, and store employees both places didn't know how to use the device, didn't walk me through its operations or highlight its features, and really didn't seem at all interested in selling it to me. I've read good reviews about the PB, like the form factor, love the price and am confident I can find personal and professional uses for it. But I really want to get more of a full-fledged experience playing with the device before buying it and want to feel like I'm buying it at a store that respects the product (and will actually fix it if it something goes wrong) before making the investment. Anyone have any advice on where to shop next? I'm in the Virginia suburbs of DC. I'm looking to pair a new phone with a tablet, and think Blackberry could be a good combo.
    I too live in the Virginia suburbs of DC and will share with you my experience. I went the other day to Office Depot in Fairfax off of Lee Hghwy and 50 which is below the WSC Gym. Anyway, I walked in knowing what I wanted and knowing that they still had the high prices. $699 for the 64GB. I looked to see if they had a price match guarantee and they did. I knew Best Buy had a price of $299. After having read other people's experience here on the forums I decided to ask for the device and only mention the price match when I got to the register. Now if you have ever shopped in a Staples or Office Depot you know that the items are kept locked away and what you do when you decide to purchase is take a ticket that is displayed behind the device to the register.

As soon as I got to the isle where the tablets were I was approached by a salesman and I told him I was going to buy a 64GB Playbook. He didn't make any comment or try and dissuade me or even make any facial expression to indicate he disapproved. Totally professional. So far, so good. Then he turned to another salesman or dept head and said, "he wants the Playbook." The second person replied that they were out of stock due to a new OS being released. I started to leave and then turned back and asked whether they had any Playbooks in stock and he replied, "no."

He said since the new Version was coming out they weren't ordering any others until the new one was released. this was March 7th so OS 2 was already out. I told him the new OS was already released and that to upgrade all that was required was a wifi connection. He just shrugged and returned to what he was doing. So I went to BestBuy in Fair Oaks and bought a 64GB there for $299.

The odd thing is when there are no more of a given device at Staples or Office Depot the shelve holder which normally contains the tickets you take to the register are empty and the backing indicates there are no more in stock. In this case the holders for all three Playbook models had at least a half dozen tickets in them which would indicate they are in stock.

No matter I went to BestBuy in Fair Oaks a ten minute drive and they had about 20 playbooks in stock from what I could see. I asked a salesman and again he didn't snicker or ask questions or attempt to sell me anything else. Just got me what I asked for and took it to the register. He then proceeded to Thank me and said he hoped I enjoyed the rest of my day.

They did have a functioning display model which appeared to be in just out of the box condition and it was prominently displayed alongside some other tablets. They also had a few accessories.
    03-11-12 07:45 PM
    It's the questions that you're NOT asking that I'm worried about.

What's the intended application? There are somethings the Playbook does very well, and somethings it cannot do, eg Skype, Netflix, Kindle etc.
    03-11-12 07:58 PM
    The PB is a great tablet. My first touch of a tablet was when I unboxed mine in April of 2011. Great tool then. Now with 2.0 the PB is so much better. Be sure your retail outlet has a return policy you can live with. Then play the heck out of your favorite tablet. I'm betting it'll be a PlayBook.
    03-11-12 08:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD