The only reason you "need" a BlackBerry with a wifi-only PlayBook is for the following:

1) E-mail, calendar and contact clients
    2) BBM

RIM has stated that e-mail, calendar and contact clients will be coming to the PlayBook via a software update. I'm not sure about BBM as a stand-alone function.
    03-27-11 08:43 PM
    I feel like bbm as a stand-alone for the playbook isn't necessary if you already own a bb. Its awesome with bridge because it just emulates your current bbm, (friends,settings,ect) as to where If you own a blackberry already and own a playbook you would end up having two different pin numbers. On the other hand if you dont have a bb then yeah, it makes sense.

Thats how I look at it.
    03-27-11 08:46 PM
    Yeah, who would want two sets of data?
    03-27-11 08:54 PM
    Honestly I think I'm buying this for a bigger version of BBM. I use it constantly and it's kind of annoying to use while I'm home.
    03-27-11 09:46 PM
    The only reason you "need" a BlackBerry with a wifi-only PlayBook is for the following:

1) E-mail, calendar and contact clients
    2) BBM

RIM has stated that e-mail, calendar and contact clients will be coming to the PlayBook via a software update. I'm not sure about BBM as a stand-alone function.
    Also just in...the Playbook is coming out next month.
    03-27-11 09:48 PM
    As handy as it is to have a 3g plan on a tablet or any notebook its another cost that I can probably do without. I mean I travelled the world with a wifi only laptop and did just fine. roaming is expensive and having to track down prepaid sims with data can be annoying when in a foreign country.

Also wifi areas are freely availble nowadays as well as hotspot mobile devices. If you have a bb connected to a paybook, why bother with paying more for a 3g playbook.

If its not 3g enabled people are too quick to knock it down without factoring the costs involved especially if u already have a 3g enabled device on u already!

I would love to see a smart company provide an external means to plug in a usb modem to run the internet just like how we do it on a laptop

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-27-11 10:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD