Hey everyone. If you're having trouble with not seeing your media files in the Music or Video players (Media Library is not available), open the new native File Manager app and try opening a video file from there. It immediately fixed whatever library error was happening on my Playbook.

It was probably in shock of how awesome OS2.0 is
    02-21-12 07:54 AM
    I've tried using file manager, closing all other apps, resetting the PB... nothing seems to work. The smaller low-quality video files work but the movies I previously had available will no longer play. All I get is: "Media Error Please close some applications to free up resources, then try again."

This is very frustrating because yesterday, before the update, I could watch all of these videos.

Anybody find a fix?
    02-22-12 01:25 AM
    Sorry, can't help. Happily, mine's working fine.
    02-22-12 01:32 AM
    02-22-12 02:05 AM
    Nor me..only had 2 vids and one has gone, the .wmv video plays, but then gives the error message....odd!
    02-22-12 05:27 AM
    This is happening to me, with the "fix" in the OP not helping at all.

If I open the Videos app, after a brief pause it shows a dialog titled "Media Error", with the text "The media library isn't available. Please restart your tablet and try again."

I did that earlier, and it worked for a short time afterwards. Then it failed again.

Might be related to my trying to upload a video to Youtube. When I used the regular web browser to visit Youtube (which Google seems to have turned into the mobile version again, rather than the full site which I wanted), and I try to upload, the file selection dialog is empty in all four tabs and search does nothing.

Opening the Music app just shows a spinning busy indicator forever.

The Pictures app shows the wood-grain background and nothing else.

All the files are still there, and if I try to launch them from a file browser app they load fine.

Restarting again to investigate further... :-(
    03-13-12 08:36 PM
    Try removing all of the media (backup to your PC), then copy them back again a bit at a time.

I had a similar issue once and it was due to some music that had problems with their ID3 tags. This likely causes some corruption in the media library.

My pictures worked OK, but saw the whirling circle for music and videos. Once I cleared the offending content, all was well.
    peter9477 likes this.
    03-13-12 09:06 PM
    Thanks for the suggestion, I'll put it on the list to try. No changes in my media content took place for days before this started, other than one video I recorded just today using the regular video recorder, so the ID3 tag couldn't be involved. I'll try removing just it, to be sure it's not involved.

The only possibility I can think of right now is that I've installed the Maps (-) app, which has been diligently caching thousands of map tiles for various places I travel a lot. Possibly the sheer number of extra files in the filesystem is a problem for the media player. Once that app is done working through its queue I'll try moving just those files off, and see if that helps.

I appreciate the suggestion!
    03-13-12 10:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD