I put an apple logo on my sexy body and everyone wants to touch!!!
    I took it off and I scared them all off. Good riddance! Certainly didn't have the same effect in 1999.
    Last edited by zensen; 04-17-11 at 06:38 PM.
    thedark722 likes this.
    04-17-11 06:34 PM
    Yes, because if it were Apple, it would suddenly be okay that the device lacked an e-mail app or a calendar app. It would also be okay that the device seemed unfinished if it were Apple. Right. But to answer your question, the difference you'd see if this was an Apple product is that the people o these forums would agree with everything alleged about the product, and offer it as proof that RIM's products are better than Apple's. The bias isn't in the reviews; it's in the readers.
    An obvious point to make is that since this is actually a blackberry forum it isn't actually unexpected for there to be a certain bias and anyone who comes on here with no interest in blackberry other than to slag them off is just a troll.

Anyway, as far as being unfinished, I personally think that the lack of even a half-hearted attempt at multitasking for 6 months of a product's life is a more significant omission than an email app where you have the browser or bridged email as alternatives.
    04-17-11 06:53 PM
    If it were Apple-made, it would also be ok if it takes 2.5 years to get cut & paste...sigh.
    You should really re-read this

As for "great product with better specs," get a clue. It's not now about specs and never has been. Years ago, not including 3G on BlackBerry's put it at a spec disadvantage versus competitors, but that didn't matter because overall, the BlackBerry was better than the Nokia/HTC products.
    The iPhone, with its days of having horrific battery life/no MMS/No C&P/No Push/No 3G didn't matter, because overall there was nothing like it. Its why Android devices, like the Evo/Incredible still sold millions even with their god awful battery life, because there was nothing like it, people are willing to make sacrifices for what they wanted. And you had better believe that if Android didnt have Google services powering it, it would have already failed.

BB users are no damn different, they loved their pisspoor apps, truncated emails, atrocious web browser and underpowered devices (2.5 years later, RIM is finally back in the hardware game) for BBM, security and better battery life than anything on the market.

Its not just a hardware battle between the Playbook vs iPad 2. Its Playbook/QNX/ 7digital/No movie store/questionable App store vs iPad 2/iOS/iTunes (music, movies, and desktop client)/App Store.

Overall, everything that makes up a product is the determinant of if it will or wont be successful.
    howarmat and iN8ter like this.
    04-17-11 06:57 PM
    the thing about apple is that it may miss out on a lot of stuff but what it does have it excels in... at least thats what i've been told by people online and those who use it. It's glossed over pretty much.

The thing that other competitors have problems with matching in this day and age especially when competing in a segment that apple dominates is that it does get compared and when it doesn't meet whatever apple excels in, its get smashed to the ground - screw whatever else it does good, who cares if it can go on the internet for free via your phone, who cares if it uses unique gestures, who cares if it can do 1080p and hdmi out easily and has the best security on any tablet/phone. what you'll get from apple is that its heading in that direction of business, its the cool thing and most importantly it has an app for it and thats usually the clincher and its locked in service that is itunes. I have a few friends with iphones, like most people they don't have 50k of apps on their phone but granted they do have unique ones that would work well with what i do but an app isn't necessary to make a call or browse the web in its fullest and unfortunately these reviews don't always see it that way, just like they are with other brands competing for consumers money. YOU got to kill something apparently!
    04-17-11 07:14 PM
    I cant wait..the suspense is unbearable
    hahahahhaa it's not that special haha, but i'm happy with it.
    04-17-11 10:17 PM
    2. There is no 3G/4G connection at all so you must own a BlackBerry phone - really? Plus the connection will be slower because it's via Bluetooth.
    Good thing Apple wasn't foolish enough to put out a Wifi-only tablet to start with. I'm sure the "critics" would have torn them apart for that ridiculous move... oh, wait...

Besides, it will connect to any phone that creates a hotspot or a BB. You can do the same with an iPad, well, once its jailbroken...
    Scooter625 likes this.
    04-17-11 11:04 PM
    The PlayBook, like the Torch, is a "vehicle" for launching a new OS. It's not as if RIM figured out something new and amazing and rushed to get it into users' hands.

The urgency here is RIM's strategic situation in the mobile computing market. With Apple's iPad, the press (there were many critics) at least had this story about a new magical device they could either believe in or not. But the press doesn't care that RIM has to put this out and without a clear purpose or new idea, the shortcomings become the story.
    04-17-11 11:13 PM
    So a thread was created asking if the power of the Apple brand name had some sort of control over how well something is reviewed and a gaggle of people with Apple products in their owned list show up to promote the "magic".

Shocker.

Threads like this go absolutely nowhere.
    04-18-11 03:49 AM
    It is a useles thread, but it keeps us entertained until we get our playbooks! Its always fun watching the Apple/RIM rivalry come alive when a new product hits the market.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-18-11 04:06 AM

Its not just a hardware battle between the Playbook vs iPad 2. Its Playbook/QNX/ 7digital/No movie store/questionable App store vs iPad 2/iOS/iTunes (music, movies, and desktop client)/App Store.

Overall, everything that makes up a product is the determinant of if it will or wont be successful.

Apple has already won when it comes to their eco system and advantages they have over existing products, battling that point is kind of moot for anyone, even with the flaws of iTunes etc.. If you challenge that, then you've pretty much got your head in the clouds. They built their devices around those things where others are building eco systems to expand upon their devices.

RIM is in it to prove they can do it and be successful at it on their own level, they don't NEED to match the success of the iPad, they just need to capture their piece of the sales in the tablet market.

This doesn't only apply to RIM, this applies to Android as well.. like it not, no one has the eco system Apple has. They built it, others are playing catch up and most likely always will be in this area.

Do I have an iPad, you bet... will I have a PlayBook.. sure will, doesn't mean a darn thing really as each will serve their purposes and at times one will do better then the other. People need to realize their is no one size fits all product out there.

This "my is better then your " is childish and just fracking lame.
    04-18-11 04:07 AM
    Not in the 7" arena there is not.

The small tablet form factor is the form factor I require, if I want a large tablet I want something in the 15" range.

If the Playbook was an apple Product many things would have been overlooked by the majority for sure, and as someone else mentioned, if Apple created the Bridge, it would be the best idea anyone ever came up with, but because it was RIM, and because the tech "writers" don't use Blackberry's it is a terrible idea.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    The 7" arena didn't exist when Apple created the iPad, so your reply doesn't even compute his point. He's talking about why the iPad was successful, and why Apple was able to release a product with less specs than a high end smartphone and still sell them to basically every and anyone...
    04-18-11 07:11 AM
    Apple has many blinded and they are running with it.
    I've never owned an Apple Product. I have no clue WTF you're babbling on about...
    04-18-11 07:12 AM
    You should really re-read this

The iPhone, with its days of having horrific battery life/no MMS/No C&P/No Push/No 3G didn't matter, because overall there was nothing like it. Its why Android devices, like the Evo/Incredible still sold millions even with their god awful battery life, because there was nothing like it, people are willing to make sacrifices for what they wanted. And you had better believe that if Android didnt have Google services powering it, it would have already failed.

BB users are no damn different, they loved their pisspoor apps, truncated emails, atrocious web browser and underpowered devices (2.5 years later, RIM is finally back in the hardware game) for BBM, security and better battery life than anything on the market.

Quoted for Truth.

That's why I think Microsoft may end up doing pretty well with Nokia. They have the services to deliver a more compelling experience than competitors. WebOS has suffered because it is simply a smartphone platform with basically no perks.

And Apple is said to be making changes to MobileMe, and I'm pretty sure it's cause they want to offer more services for iOS users without having all of them dependent on Google/Windows Live/Yahoo!/whatever for simple things like Email/Calendaring/Contacts/etc.
    04-18-11 07:17 AM
    Apple has already won when it comes to their eco system and advantages they have over existing products, battling that point is kind of moot for anyone, even with the flaws of iTunes etc.. If you challenge that, then you've pretty much got your head in the clouds. They built their devices around those things where others are building eco systems to expand upon their devices.

RIM is in it to prove they can do it and be successful at it on their own level, they don't NEED to match the success of the iPad, they just need to capture their piece of the sales in the tablet market.

This doesn't only apply to RIM, this applies to Android as well.. like it not, no one has the eco system Apple has. They built it, others are playing catch up and most likely always will be in this area.

Do I have an iPad, you bet... will I have a PlayBook.. sure will, doesn't mean a darn thing really as each will serve their purposes and at times one will do better then the other. People need to realize their is no one size fits all product out there.

This "my <insert whatever> is better then your <insert whatever> " is childish and just fracking lame.
    Android has Google services powering it, and everyday we see hints of how Google is expanding into music, and they have a complete ecosystem based in the cloud. If Android didnt have Google behind it, it would not be as successful without question.

Still the Playbook has to be on a competitive terms with more than just hardware, especially with a tablet like device. I dont expect RIM to go out and build a complete ecosystem just to support their stuff, but they should have chosen better partners.

I personally think RIM should have gone with Amazon as the main partner for digital services. Music, Movies (and a streaming service like Netflix), Ebooks (hi Kindle), Apps (Android anyone?). Its all unified, one stop shopping with one account, which Apple has done and Google is attempting to do. Its why Apple loves to tout how many credit cards and accounts they have, because it makes it that easier to buy something and use it across multiple devices. Imagine buying something on the Playbook, then being able to use it on you BB, PC, or a Roku player.

They have great ideas with the Playbook, they just need to bring it all in, cause there is more at stake here than the Playbook, its QNX and the future of BlackBerry.
    04-18-11 10:39 AM
    While going with Amazon would have given them a more unified option it would have also left them more dependent on a single company and the main thing they need to do is ensure the prompt arrival of the relevant amazon apps as quickly as possible.
    04-18-11 12:46 PM
    The 7" arena didn't exist when Apple created the iPad, so your reply doesn't even compute his point. He's talking about why the iPad was successful, and why Apple was able to release a product with less specs than a high end smartphone and still sell them to basically every and anyone...

Your arrogance seems to always block your reading skills

{SNIP}
    When someone goes out to buy a tablet next week, there are better choices than the PlayBook (in its current form).
    04-18-11 01:36 PM
    Android has Google services powering it, and everyday we see hints of how Google is expanding into music, and they have a complete ecosystem based in the cloud. If Android didnt have Google behind it, it would not be as successful without question.

Still the Playbook has to be on a competitive terms with more than just hardware, especially with a tablet like device. I dont expect RIM to go out and build a complete ecosystem just to support their stuff, but they should have chosen better partners.

I personally think RIM should have gone with Amazon as the main partner for digital services. Music, Movies (and a streaming service like Netflix), Ebooks (hi Kindle), Apps (Android anyone?). Its all unified, one stop shopping with one account, which Apple has done and Google is attempting to do. Its why Apple loves to tout how many credit cards and accounts they have, because it makes it that easier to buy something and use it across multiple devices. Imagine buying something on the Playbook, then being able to use it on you BB, PC, or a Roku player.

They have great ideas with the Playbook, they just need to bring it all in, cause there is more at stake here than the Playbook, its QNX and the future of BlackBerry.

I am in agreement RIM needs to find a partnership,
    THOUGH I think they should look at Partnership with their Current customers, we have the Carriers! many of them have "On Demand" movie services, if RIM were to work with Carriers for access to "On Demand" movie downloads within App World it would be a win/win for Carrier/RIM because the Carrier can give onDemand Bandwidth for free, making it more attractive to buy from the Carrier, and RIM becomes attractive to the Carrier so they push the device harder.

Let the Carriers build Carry infrastructure into their current network, and RIM just be the first to tap it with a fee for service model.
    04-18-11 01:40 PM
    i hate VZW crap and uninstall all of it i can...i would be extremely reluctant to use VZW services. I do like the amazon services though. I buy thousands of $$$ in stuff from them every year
    04-18-11 05:35 PM
    i hate VZW crap and uninstall all of it i can...i would be extremely reluctant to use VZW services. I do like the amazon services though. I buy thousands of $$$ in stuff from them every year
    I come from Ontario Canada, So I am thinking Rogers / Bell as content providers, neither are great, but I really could see a company like Rogers wanting to build a business around Ondemand content on the phone.

They do, Mobile Services, Voip Landlines, Internet, Cable TV, Brick and Mortar video Rental locations.

IF I was Rogers I would aggressively pursue an "itunes" like service for cross platform access, and being as RIM is a Canadian Company and Rogers is Canada based I would try and create a partnership with them to get it off the ground initially.

would be an excellent tool to get consumers to move to Rogers Mobile phones from Bell/Telus if they had content control like that on the device, as well as movie rentals /downloads, AND got themselves into the Music business.
    04-18-11 05:52 PM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD