Okay so I'll believe the new official OS 2.1 update when I see it - but I'll still prepare for it's ultimate arrival.

My question: if the new OS 2.1 update is higher than the exiting beta 2.1.0.840 will it update normally?

Adam has suggested that the internal build is v2.1.0.1032 ..... though that doesn't mean diddly squat for the official release OS .... but it does raise the question in my mind as to whether it will be necessary for me to do a Security Wipe pre installation of official OS.
    10-02-12 05:38 PM
    I do believe it will update. It worked that way for me on the last Beta I had and a new release came out and it updated it just fine. Now I have the 840 beta. I have never done anything special updating from the previous beta. Everything just worked great.
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    10-02-12 05:40 PM
    Yes it will update normally, just the way the 2.0 release updated over its beta.
    10-02-12 05:43 PM
    I'll do a desktop manager backup, separately copy any media from the playbook to folders on PC, then do an upgrade without a wipe to see how it goes. If I'm having problems I'll later resort to a wipe and fresh install and try restore of data using DTM, and if that isn't able to restore I'll still have my data in those folders. Of course I have to manually reinstall all those apps, and sideloaded apps if I have to resort to a wipe
    10-02-12 05:43 PM
    A wipe is always a good idea, simply because that's had more testing than an update.
    10-02-12 06:54 PM
    Actually, you really don't need to wipe before updating the OS. In fact, that practice even broke the Android Player for some people.

If one really wants a complete fresh start, the debrick way is the best thing to do (yet more time consuming).
    Kandoo-BB likes this.
    10-02-12 07:54 PM
    Actually, you really don't need to wipe before updating the OS. In fact, that practice even broke the Android Player for some people.

If one really wants a complete fresh start, the debrick way is the best thing to do (yet more time consuming).
    EXACTLY, if you are on beta I DO NOT recommend wiping. You may find yourself with a 2.1 official with a broken Android player and pim apps stuck in landscape.

Until someone confirms different I would not wipe. Me and my husband went through this with the beta and boy was it a pita.
    10-02-12 10:18 PM
    Oh and my husband told me to tell all of you that Michael Clewely just tweeted "Good night #PlayBook nation we will see you in the morning" LOOKS LIKE ITS CONFIRMED
    10-02-12 10:22 PM
    if your interested in debricking heres the link
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-840-a-745129/

sounds scary though. I've always just security wiped my pb and loaded any new os, even after a beta and I've never had any issues. i'm currently running 2.1.0.560 and had no idea there was a more recent beta.

I just got this playbook 10 days ago and the new beta os must have come out recently.
    10-03-12 12:44 AM
    EXACTLY, if you are on beta I DO NOT recommend wiping. You may find yourself with a 2.1 official with a broken Android player and pim apps stuck in landscape.

Until someone confirms different I would not wipe. Me and my husband went through this with the beta and boy was it a pita.
    This does not apply to many people... Please read on the issue of 'why' it was happening to a few individuals
    10-03-12 12:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD