Seriously? We've all heard the rumours by now that the PlayBook isn't selling well. RIM reporting sales to the channel and claiming not to have actual sales number doesn't inspire much confidence. This is just anecdotal evidence but I know an employee at the local The Source store and a manager at a corporate store for one of the major Canadian providers and both have told me that sales are very, very weak. That being said, I was at the mall yesterday. Corporate stores for all the major providers, mall kiosks, Futureshop, BestBuy, Videotron, Staples/Bureau en gros, they're all selling the PlayBook. And they're all selling it for the exact same price ($499 / $599 / $699). Why not discount it? To be honest, I always thought it was priced $100 to high. I think it would sell very well if it was priced $100 less than the iPad2. The Acer and Asus Android tablets are cheaper. Even the new HP tablet is cheaper. Considering that the PlayBook is still missing major software components and that the AppStore is an absolute joke, why not discount it a little bit to boost sales? Why didn't they launch with an introductory price and raise it later when all components are ready? What am I missing?
    07-18-11 07:11 PM
    Personally i don't think reducing the price will help. if only it will make a 'cheap' impression in comparison to competition. maintaining price is maintaining confidence in the product. if they wanted to sell if for $100 less they should have done so in the beginning.
    07-18-11 07:20 PM
    Same discussion a few threads below:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-price-630829/
    07-18-11 07:24 PM
    Personally i don't think reducing the price will help. if only it will make a 'cheap' impression in comparison to competition. maintaining price is maintaining confidence in the product. if they wanted to sell if for $100 less they should have done so in the beginning.
    Although RIM could discount it, it was more the retailers that I had in mind. If they're sitting on dozens of PlayBooks that are not selling, why not discount them at all? Of course, it's always possible that the PlayBook is selling well and that appearances and rumours are deceiving. It's always a possibility.
    07-18-11 07:25 PM
    I think Rim should do a short term sale with the slogan "Get it cheap now while it still sucks." Then RIM can stop the sale after all the updates are released. I dont think Playbook sucks but I like that slogan.
    07-18-11 07:34 PM
    the quality on this device is really good dont expect that it goes down easy + its blackberry
    07-18-11 07:38 PM
    A price drop would signal an acknowledgement of poor sales. The two bozos in charge don't seem capable of that.
    howarmat likes this.
    07-18-11 09:23 PM
    It hasn't been out quiet long enough for them to drop the price. If the Android player comes out before native apps and the PB still doesn't sell I'm sure we'll see a price drop.
    07-18-11 10:16 PM
    A price drop would signal an acknowledgement of poor sales. The two bozos in charge don't seem capable of that.
    The two bozos in charge arent capable of much really.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-18-11 10:31 PM
    hp touchpad already got 10% price drops. and different retailers are selling at different discounts. for a fairly moderate product based on reviews. hp tried to sell as much as possible to achieve large customer base, while filling up promises of updates.
    so nothing wrong in giving discounts, but you got to update to convince people that the new product will get better with time.
    after this 3 months + after pb launch, and so much negativity around pb and rim itself, lowering price may not be the best option. i believe releasing 3g pb bundled to full blown BIS is the best choice now. no point struggling with piecemeal updates on wifi pb. rim even tried selling wifi pb bundled with bb handset thru carriers, but selling two devices, costing almost 800$ is not easy.
    07-18-11 10:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD