I've been involved in IT/Hi-tech for over 40 years. While I like to stay up to date with technology, one thing I've learned is that new software always has bugs and unless you have a pressing problem that can be fixed with a new release, you should always let the early adopters shake the tree before you pick the fruit. I remember downloading a new release of a financial software program once that took me about 30 hours to recover what it screwed up and it had been working fine.
    I totally understand why so many are downloading the new release because I too once felt the need to be the first on the block. But for those of you who are wondering if you should download 2.1, my advice is-wait and see. Read these forums to see when it is has begun to stabilize and then download it. There are enough posts on here talking about new problems and apps not working etc. I'll be waiting until there a lot fewer of these posts and besides I'm quite happy with my PB as it sits today.
    10-04-12 12:08 AM
    You're absolutely right. Recent example being the iOS maps app that so many people didn't expect. For me this 2.1 was better than what I had previous because that .668 update was crap and since then I had been waiting for normal battery life to be restored. Some of us yes, want to have our fix right away but that's ok. Nowadays these updates are generally fine for basic consumer use and rarely is there a major setback. I'm that kind of person who grabs each update right away thinking that it is a secret santa gift that needs to be explored; the only time the "jack-in-the-box" hit me in the face was with the .668 update.
    10-04-12 12:42 AM
    I said the same in the morning.

Updated in the night.

Shame on me.

10-04-12 01:21 AM
    While I agree on a general angle, I'm not sure the presence of posts claiming for a "disastrous " after update are viable markers. Conrt the number of distinct posters, make an estimate of how they are representative (%).

Once again, "if you're not sure, avoid it" is a legit advice.

Backup (I'll add this to my posts fore some time)
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 10-04-12 at 02:21 AM.
    kbz1960 and DC506 like this.
    10-04-12 02:19 AM
    Although I must admit I haven't used every app since downloading the latest version of 2.1, everything I have tried seems to be working flawlessly, atleast for me. I had one of our playbooks already on the 2.1.0.840 beta and other then a couple little glitches it to was working fine. The 2nd playbook we have on .668, which was a disaster when I first downloaded it, but after a wipe and reinstall it to was working fine. At this point I have not experience any of the pains some people are complaining about. The browsers speed improvements alone are worth download, but as a whole everything is much snappier. So much so that both playbooks now are running official 2.1. Now the wait for BB10!!!!
    #BB10Believe
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    10-04-12 06:46 AM
    I updated the secondary 32gig pb that already has the .840 Beta. The main 64gig pb is sitting and waiting till I feel the real need in another few hours or a day or two.
    10-04-12 09:26 AM
    I had been on the beta since release and it worked well. Knowing the official wasn't a huge change I could have waited. I went to work 10 mins before the update dropped and I watched crackberry for any signs of potential deadly impacts. It looked like maybe a few small meteorite impacts but no planet killers. I updated 12 hours later when I got home and 2 reboots (maybe three) all is well. All my core daily (hourly? minutely? secondly?) use apps and functions seem to run as well (or better) as ever. SMS is nice and I hope PrintToGo works as i expect once i have a chance to set it up. Thanks RIM.

My only advice is do a backup. If it is critical do 2 backups! Apply this credo to all your data. (I have .mp3s in 6 different places!)
    Last edited by Glamrlama; 10-04-12 at 10:22 AM.
    10-04-12 10:20 AM
    I said the same in the morning.

Updated in the night.

Shame on me.

Lol! I said the same thing last week and updated as soon as I woke up on release day. Guess I'll never learn... Btw, except for some missing Facebook birthdays in my calendar (they're on my bb anyway), I've got no complaints. I'm liking the update just fine.
    10-04-12 10:23 AM
    Imagine the number of complaints about indoor plumbing when it first came out.
    Turns out, it wasn't a bad idea after all.
    Uncle Remus likes this.
    10-05-12 04:44 AM
    I recently bought a second playbook so chose to update my 16GB to OS2.1 but hold off on the other (a 32 GB). I use an old CDMA phone that has a $5 unlimited internet plan but no tethering, so most of the 2.1 features are not useful to me. Still, I wanted to see if there were any advantages to the update.

I hoped the browser might be a bit faster but it's not. Viewing the calendar in the portrait mode is fine but there's nothing to see since the update destroyed all my appointments, lol. Fortunately, my previous experience with RIM's "hit and miss" updates taught me to back up my data every which way possible (including writing my upcoming appointments on a wall calendar!).

Really, I wonder why RIM keeps adding "features" when it can't get the basics right, time and time again.
    10-05-12 04:48 AM
    works fine for me, no problems with my exchange email, calender, contacts or appointments. I really like the new portrait options and bridge sms.
    10-05-12 05:53 AM
    Working great for me. Whole device seems a little smoother, browser faster, android apps either the same or improved - sideloaded Kindle app now works much better. Bridge icons seem to grey out if I lose the wifi connection, but easily solved by disconnecting and reconnecting Bridge. Definitely better than 2.0.1.668 for me so far.
    10-05-12 06:29 AM
    Works perfect for me.
    10-05-12 08:10 AM
    Three in a row say everything works fine. I bet none of you were using the local calendar, right? I bet none of you have taken a picture with the camera and noticed it missing from the camera picture folder, right?

I'm glad to hear that the features you have used to date are working for you. I decided to upgrade my 16 GB Playbook chiefly because it was running .668 which was hard on the battery. I have some hope that 2.1 may improve this a bit, so taking a chance was worth the risk.

I have held off getting a new cellphone for a year now, waiting for the overdue BBX er, BB10 phones to make an appearance, hoping to maximum my Playbook use by pairing them together. The sloppiness of this 2.1 update is causing me to have second thoughts.

I don't want to spend $600 or lock myself into a 3 year contract if the software isn't ready for prime time and RIM is too dumb to realize or too desperate to care. I'd like them to get it (get anything) right but I've got the feeling they don't have a handle on quality control.
    10-05-12 09:29 AM
    I bet none of you have taken a picture with the camera and noticed it missing from the camera picture folder, right?

. .
    You're correct, I have taken pics and I haven't noticed them missing from the Camera folder.
    Uncle Remus likes this.
    10-05-12 09:55 AM
    my advice is-wait and see.
    That's what I do. But: Possible Desaster is just postponed then, if one day (in future and inside an aging society) only a handful pioneers take the risk to update within the first week And from those handfully 5 only 1 takes a closer look instead of facebooking "Yeeeehhaaaah, I got it and looking aaaaahhhhhsamm". It takes a number of normal users to get a real life picture of the issues.

So please try to not convince EVERYONE to wait

I'm very happy about that other 600+ posts thread, cause one can get a real life picture of that update.

Ray
    10-05-12 10:13 AM
    You're correct, I have taken pics and I haven't noticed them missing from the Camera folder.
    Have you checked to see whether any pictures you had previously taken are missing? The new OS is assigning filenames for new pictures starting at IMG_0000001.jpg instead of continuing the numbering chronologically. For example, if you currently have 25 pictures in your camera folder, the most recent pic before updating the OS would have been IMG_0000025.jpg. The screen shot you took today should be named IMG_0000026.jpg but instead, it's named IMG_0000001.jpg and the picture doesn't appear among recent pictures but among the earliest taken (that's why I didn't see my new pictures at first. Now I do)

So, the question is, what happened to your original IMG_0000001.jpg when the screen shot was created? Was it deleted and replaced?
    10-05-12 01:35 PM
    Only thing not working at all under 2.1 for me is Olive Tree Bible Reader
    10-05-12 03:00 PM
    I had a similar mindset until I noticed that not everything in tech is a la Windows or gaming consoles. People who pay money for products actually expect them to work right from the start, and that includes upgrades. That's not an altogether unfair expectation.
    10-05-12 03:09 PM
    I had a similar mindset until I noticed that not everything in tech is a la Windows or gaming consoles. People who pay money for products actually expect them to work right from the start, and that includes upgrades. That's not an altogether unfair expectation.
    You are absolutely correct but reading all these threads it seems there are a variety of problems particularly with calendar and contacts so until there is another release I'm not touching it because as I said in the original post, I'm happy with how it's working now and I don't want to spend hours trying to restore if there's a problem.
    10-05-12 05:01 PM
    Have you checked to see whether any pictures you had previously taken are missing? The new OS is assigning filenames for new pictures starting at IMG_0000001.jpg instead of continuing the numbering chronologically. For example, if you currently have 25 pictures in your camera folder, the most recent pic before updating the OS would have been IMG_0000025.jpg. The screen shot you took today should be named IMG_0000026.jpg but instead, it's named IMG_0000001.jpg and the picture doesn't appear among recent pictures but among the earliest taken (that's why I didn't see my new pictures at first. Now I do)

So, the question is, what happened to your original IMG_0000001.jpg when the screen shot was created? Was it deleted and replaced?
    I have checked this. The numbering doesn't overwrite files. All the numbers do are fill in the blanks. Thus, if you have pic 00001 thru 000005 and had previously deleted or moved 000006 thru 0000010, new pics taken will simply fill in the blanks, starting from 000006. It will not overwrite 00000011 when you get that high, instead it will use the next available number. No need to panic.
    pickles#WP likes this.
    10-05-12 05:47 PM
    I'd say it depends on the importance of having your device in use, or with certain currently working features. My PlayBook is not critical to me in any way -- it is a luxury. Not like my phone. So I could upgrade, downgrade, wipe it over and over and lose all the data therein and it would not matter.

I agree with you .. if a person is counting on "feature X" in some important way.
    10-05-12 05:54 PM
    I have had a dev playbook running the beta, now updated. I must be a real lucky guy as i have had no problems with the day to day usage of my BB and PB. I use both full time and the calendars sync, the peek and flow is still there, the historical data for my contacts has always been there. I have always considered myself a power business user, but still do a lot more "media" consumption since the PB. And the social aspect has increased as well, but not to the same extent. I have 2 other PB's one for my wife and daughter. The 16GB is full of movies, and my wife uses hers for kitchen duty, again, other than a damaged usb ( which was my wife's fault ) we have seen no real issues.

I guess I will try to find some now, so I can fit in.

cheers and play away.
    10-05-12 07:43 PM
    Three in a row say everything works fine. I bet none of you were using the local calendar, right? I have 3 calendars synced to my PB. Gmail, phone, and personal - it did take a bit to get them working ( only due to gmail security) I bet none of you have taken a picture with the camera and noticed it missing from the camera picture folder, right? - actually no - I have taken hundreds of pics on the PB of reno's and posted them for clients. scrapbooked them as well.
    I'm glad to hear that the features you have used to date are working for you. I decided to upgrade my 16 GB Playbook chiefly because it was running .668 which was hard on the battery. I have some hope that 2.1 may improve this a bit, so taking a chance was worth the risk.

I have held off getting a new cellphone for a year now, waiting for the overdue BBX er, BB10 phones to make an appearance, hoping to maximum my Playbook use by pairing them together. The sloppiness of this 2.1 update is causing me to have second thoughts.

I don't want to spend $600 or lock myself into a 3 year contract if the software isn't ready for prime time and RIM is too dumb to realize or too desperate to care. I'd like them to get it (get anything) right but I've got the feeling they don't have a handle on quality control.[/QUOTE] sidenote - seems that there isnt a platform out there that is perfect. Good luck finding a "smart" one. Cheers.
    10-05-12 07:48 PM
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with my Calender, granted, I only have test dates. I barely use my PlayBook calender anyways, especially if I have my Torch nearby.

As previous poster has explained to you, the process with Camera pictures. Not really a big issue for me, considering I can always move them around afterwards.
    10-06-12 09:47 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD