Hi there... My daughter brought her playbook to me today and told me that all of her games were missing ,and asked if I could find them. She pointed out that the "Games" folder was missing and as well mentioned that the "Camera" icon was missing too...

I began scrolling around figuring she must have accidentally moved the missing folder/icon to a different screen or folder but they are not in any other folders or screens. I have checked all of the screens, scrolled up/down back/forth to make sure I am not missing anything. They are definately gone. If I launch app world and click on "My" it shows a ton of games as installed. I also did some searching around and found an app that allows you to manage the playbook applications from your PC using a web browser (in my case Chrome and a great app by the way). When I run this, it shows all of the missing games, and also allows to me launch them directly on the playbook. (including the system camera app) So, the apps/games are all there,installed on the playbook but I have no way to launch them without the icons. How on earth do I recreate these icons that went missing??

(PS, I suspect that she may have accidentally deleted the games folder, but of course she'll never admit it or maybe didn't even know what she was doing...)

Thanks for your help...
    12-02-12 06:41 PM
    She obviously moved all the icons off of the dock and then tried to put some icons back on the dock. This is a know issue and has been discussed many times. Do a search on "missing icons dock" and you'll get info on partial fixes, at least.
    12-02-12 06:57 PM
    Hi there, I did a search and it appears that a wipe and reinstall may be in order... I screwed around a bit more and you are right, she must have moved it from the dock and tried to move it back. As a test, I tried to do move another icon to the dock and I had a notification pop up that said "array_insert invalid array index". The icon did not appear on the dock and is now missing from where it was...

Question... Once I do a wipe and reinstall, when I go back into app world does it show you which games you have downloaded in the past or should I make note of all the games she has downloaded first?
    12-02-12 08:09 PM
    No. Stop. Don't wipe yet.
    12-02-12 08:17 PM
    Move all your icons into the dock. They will disappear. When you have no icons left restart. You should get everything back.
    clankmaster likes this.
    12-02-12 08:20 PM
    OK, I'll give that a shot. Cross everything you have two of for me!!! LOL!
    12-02-12 08:21 PM
    Look a little further, there is a partial fix but it'll mean you'll lose use of the dock permanently (until you wipe), but you can get your lost icons back. If you want your dock back, I think you'll have to wipe. As for app world, any apps that had been installed will show up in your uninstalled list after a wipe.

edit- do as jagrlover said, just don't try to put any icons on the dock after you do this- I think you'll lose them too.
    clankmaster likes this.
    12-02-12 08:23 PM
    Hi there... My daughter brought her playbook to me today and told me that all of her games were missing ,and asked if I could find them. She pointed out that the "Games" folder was missing and as well mentioned that the "Camera" icon was missing too...

I began scrolling around figuring she must have accidentally moved the missing folder/icon to a different screen or folder but they are not in any other folders or screens. I have checked all of the screens, scrolled up/down back/forth to make sure I am not missing anything. They are definately gone. If I launch app world and click on "My" it shows a ton of games as installed. I also did some searching around and found an app that allows you to manage the playbook applications from your PC using a web browser (in my case Chrome and a great app by the way). When I run this, it shows all of the missing games, and also allows to me launch them directly on the playbook. (including the system camera app) So, the apps/games are all there,installed on the playbook but I have no way to launch them without the icons. How on earth do I recreate these icons that went missing??

(PS, I suspect that she may have accidentally deleted the games folder, but of course she'll never admit it or maybe didn't even know what she was doing...)

Thanks for your help...
    just move all icons to the dock so they all go away. (I know it is scary) and then restart tablet. all will come back

Sent from Blackberry Playbook using TapaTalk 2
    clankmaster likes this.
    12-02-12 08:35 PM
    Moved them all to the dock, restarted and now all are back! Thanks for all your help everyone! I guess BB10 will fix this one!! Looking forward to that! Cheers!
    12-02-12 08:45 PM
    Listen, user, Rim says NO ONE will ever do that - so they ignore this STUPID BUG. And then someone else shows how stupid rim is for not fixing it in this newest OS as it has been around for a while now. So obviously your daughter was not prescient enough to know not to trigger this STUPID BUG!!!!

But question: Are there any icons on what should be the dock? And, don't move any there if its blank unless you want to have to move them all there again and reboot again?

Glad you got the thing working again.
    Kandoo-BB likes this.
    12-02-12 09:20 PM
    Agreed F2 they have been well aware of this for some time and suggested that no one would ever do this. I see it all the time. It must be a real pita to fix, else...it would have been fixed already??
    FF22 likes this.
    12-03-12 04:45 PM
    Listen, user, Rim says NO ONE will ever do that - so they ignore this STUPID BUG. And then someone else shows how stupid rim is for not fixing it in this newest OS as it has been around for a while now. So obviously your daughter was not prescient enough to know not to trigger this STUPID BUG!!!!

But question: Are there any icons on what should be the dock? And, don't move any there if its blank unless you want to have to move them all there again and reboot again?

Glad you got the thing working again.
    Agree with you totally on this one. From what I've read RIM's flip response of "why would anyone do that?" was ridiculous. One would think they would have said "Oh no! We need to fix that right away!" but instead chose to try to make pb users feel dumb for doing something that kinda makes sense - especially to an OCD person like myself. Every once in awhile you just want to do some cleaning and rearranging. Who would have thot that havoc would result from removing all icons from the dock? Inexcusable in my type A opinion.
    FF22 likes this.
    12-03-12 04:54 PM
    Agree with you totally on this one. From what I've read RIM's flip response of "why would anyone do that?" was ridiculous. One would think they would have said "Oh no! We need to fix that right away!" but instead chose to try to make pb users feel dumb for doing something that kinda makes sense - especially to an OCD person like myself. Every once in awhile you just want to do some cleaning and rearranging. Who would have thot that havoc would result from removing all icons from the dock? Inexcusable in my type A opinion.
    Someone should contact either Thor or that Alex (Alec) guy with that flip reply as well as this and other threads about "cleaning the dock" and see if someone "can clean that guys clock!"
    12-03-12 06:06 PM
    i have a playbook and i wiped it but after wiping all icons were missing except for the set up, what will i do to bring icons back such as camera?
    05-16-13 02:07 AM
    I think someone has replied to you in another thread. Swipe down and select the GEAR Icon, Find the UPDATE choice and select that and then update. It should get the rest of the OS and restore your icons.

Let us know.
    05-16-13 08:32 AM
    thanks for the info.. it helped me a lot..

i was scared at first but it really worked..
    12-01-13 03:50 AM