This, boys and girls, is the moral of the story.

Very few people even know what the PB is thanks to RIM's epic marketing. And I can guarantee you..millions of people won't be flocking to this just because it will "one day" implement native email. Tech sites don't do second reviews..so alas..they're negative ones will always be at the forefront of a simple Google search.
    Consumers give way more weight to user reviews and word of mouth than some tech site review. It's like saying that because Roger Ebert doesn't like a movie that it is bound to flop at the theatre. The only people who care about expert reviews are geeks. The normal consumer will make up their own mind. RIM has a good product, they just need to make it a great product, backed up with great marketing, so that word of mouth starts to drive sales.
    Last edited by TBone4eva; 06-26-11 at 12:29 PM.
    06-26-11 12:26 PM
    yes thought the same today,thats why i wanted to ask if we should create a sticky thread,where users can post there own reviews,maybe even video reviews.
    I would like to do a review if somewone is interested in such a thing
    06-26-11 01:18 PM
    How is it superior?
    At least 4 ways -- better screen, Flash, portable, and oh the bridge browser which no one else has or is even close to having.
    06-26-11 01:19 PM

Very few people even know what the PB is thanks to RIM's epic marketing. And I can guarantee you..millions of people won't be flocking to this just because it will "one day" implement native email. Tech sites don't do second reviews..so alas..they're negative ones will always be at the forefront of a simple Google search.
    Except, there will be a 10" version and a PlayBook 2, 3 etc. These will be reviewed. Anyone looking to buy an iPhone is not going to be reading reviews of the iPhone 1.
    06-26-11 01:23 PM
    Yeah....Nice way to spam the forum.

All that talk in the first post just to drop that site in there.... Nice...
    Ingnore this people and move along !
    06-26-11 01:43 PM
    At least 4 ways -- better screen, Flash, portable, and oh the bridge browser which no one else has or is even close to having.
    1. Better screen. Only A little crisper due to the fact that the pixels are condensed in a smaller area.

2. Flash. I give you that. Flash isn't a big thing for everyone though. Sites I visit most support HTML5.

3. Portable. That is always debatable. I wouldn't carry a tablet around in public anyways. I would never be caught sitting down in a mall surfing on a tablet.

4. Bridge Doesn't apply to me since I am in Canada since tethering charges are not a issue.

If those points make the Playbook a superior device to the king of Tablets I just don't see it. Playbook has a very long way being on the same playing field as the IPad.
    06-26-11 03:22 PM
    cool story
    06-26-11 03:45 PM
    1. everyone who has seen my PB remarks on how sweet the screen images are... yes the pixels are a little closer but there are also a lot more of them than on the iPad2. When it plays 1080p, of which there is lots on youtube and elsewhere, it is very pretty. Oh, no can't play 1080p on your iPad2?, aww, guess the Poor Boy of, oops K forgot, the "King" of tablets... is limited to 720p.

2. Flash allows you to view most webpages without needing to download an app for that. Guess some folks just love downloading their apps!

3. Yeah it is very portable and it is awesome to go into a coffee shop or mall and pull out my PB from my jacket pocket to look stuff up over their wifi, which most public places have now. Check the weather, read a book I'm enjoying, check some stock quotes, get directions to my next stop, listen to some sweet 320 audio files (but not on an iPad2), and enjoy watching a 1080p video over wifi... mine works flawlessly and those who see it, like the guy who started this post, have found that most people who look at it are impressed.

4. When driving down the highway at 100 km/h, one of my passengers can use the PB to surf the web and it is a very smooth browsing experience, limited as it is by 3g, my perception is that it is very usable and with good 3g coverage, the browsing speed is good.

over the bridge browser - very valuable feature.
    06-26-11 03:53 PM
    1. everyone who has seen my PB remarks on how sweet the screen images are... yes the pixels are a little closer but there are also a lot more of them than on the iPad2. When it plays 1080p, of which there is lots on youtube and elsewhere, it is very pretty. Oh, no can't play 1080p on your iPad2?, aww, guess the Poor Boy of, oops K forgot, the "King" of tablets... is limited to 720p.

2. Flash allows you to view most webpages without needing to download an app for that. Guess some folks just love downloading their apps!

3. Yeah it is very portable and it is awesome to go into a coffee shop or mall and pull out my PB from my jacket pocket to look stuff up over their wifi, which most public places have now. Check the weather, read a book I'm enjoying, check some stock quotes, get directions to my next stop, listen to some sweet 320 audio files (but not on an iPad2), and enjoy watching a 1080p video over wifi... mine works flawlessly and those who see it, like the guy who started this post, have found that most people who look at it are impressed.

4. When driving down the highway at 100 km/h, one of my passengers can use the PB to surf the web and it is a very smooth browsing experience, limited as it is by 3g, my perception is that it is very usable and with good 3g coverage, the browsing speed is good.

over the bridge browser - very valuable feature.
    actually the ipad is higher resolution. The PB has higher pixel density though which does help make it very crisp
    06-26-11 03:56 PM

I was in a financial office showing my playbook off to someone asking about what their next phone should be, no fewer than 8 people wondered into the office asking What I was holding, and if it was an iPad,

Basically when my audience with the crowed had ended the group were pretty split as to what they were buying that week, either a Playbook, or an Acer ICONIA Tab W500, to meet their business needs.

Neither product had anyone heard of, but BOTH were products once I spoke about them, they couldn't believe they had never heard or seen one and they must have them.
    06-26-11 04:01 PM
    1. Better screen. Only A little crisper due to the fact that the pixels are condensed in a smaller area.

2. Flash. I give you that. Flash isn't a big thing for everyone though. Sites I visit most support HTML5.

3. Portable. That is always debatable. I wouldn't carry a tablet around in public anyways. I would never be caught sitting down in a mall surfing on a tablet.

4. Bridge Doesn't apply to me since I am in Canada since tethering charges are not a issue.

If those points make the Playbook a superior device to the king of Tablets I just don't see it. Playbook has a very long way being on the same playing field as the IPad.

1: Better screen for sure! even just the little bit of added pixel density isn't the only thing, the outside viewabilty of the screen is much better as well

2: Agreed flash isn't for everyone, but it is nice to have ( Still poorly implemented though!)

3: How is it debatable that the Playbook is more portable? the Playbook can fit in a pair of CK 32" waste dress pants without being noticed if the pants are properly tailored to your body. I have often pulled my tablet out of my pocket to the surprise of clients to show them information on a larger screen, this is the portability aspect that the other tablets do not have in larger form factors, it isn't debatable, it IS more portable, what is debatable is your requirements for portability, not everyone is on the go all the time and needs 2 hands free

4: Bridge browser does not matter to you agreed, but that doesn't negate Bridge being a useful feature, I too am in Canada, and the EASE of bridging with multiple devices is fantastic, and I've found that Bridging has actually been easier than tethering to set up when I'm looking for a quick connection

The Thing that keeps the Playbook from being on the same playing field as the iPad is purely the ecosystem. hardware and native abilities the Playbook is head to head with the iPad.
    RIM needs PIM, RIM needs content distribution systems, RIM needs peripheral partner ships.
    I have found my Playbook infinitely more useful than the iPad.
    06-26-11 04:10 PM
    Perhaps for most people it is not superior. Does not really matter since all RIM needs to do is sell enough. Apple proved you can do just fine with 5%-15% of a market.
    06-26-11 04:12 PM
    just because the ipad is the best selling tablet doesnt mean its also the best.
    Its a very good one for sure,but i think the main reason its because every person if very young or very old can use it,the pb is intuitive to,when you know the gestures.
    Only android on a tablet is not really thought of so good for the common user.
    And most people dont want to think long how a thing works,the just wanna use it without thinking about it
    06-26-11 04:18 PM
    Exactly the point: because you have an iPad, which looks and feels awkward to use in public because of the size, you can't be caught sitting down in a mall surfing on your tablet. iPad stays at home.
    06-26-11 04:33 PM
    Exactly the point: because you have an iPad, which looks and feels awkward to use in public because of the size, you can't be caught sitting down in a mall surfing on your tablet. iPad stays at home.
    I had both the iPad and Playbook. Yes I agree the Playbook is more portable but I still never brought it out. Only time it came out was to work a few times. I would never bring it to the mall, a friends house, social function etc. Just personal pref I guess.
    06-26-11 04:42 PM
    I had both the iPad and Playbook. Yes I agree the Playbook is more portable but I still never brought it out. Only time it came out was to work a few times. I would never bring it to the mall, a friends house, social function etc. Just personal pref I guess.
    There you go: more portable.
    06-26-11 04:48 PM
    2: Agreed flash isn't for everyone, but it is nice to have ( Still poorly implemented though!)
    Yet the best implementation in all tablets though. Tried loading We Choose the Moon: Celebrating the 40th Anniversary of the Apollo 11 Lunar Landing on Playbook, it loaded without issues. Unlike on Android tablets.
    06-26-11 04:52 PM
    that site loads and performs just fine on my transformer

its one site i use to demo the device actually
    06-26-11 05:23 PM
    Yet the best implementation in all tablets though. Tried loading We Choose the Moon: Celebrating the 40th Anniversary of the Apollo 11 Lunar Landing on Playbook, it loaded without issues. Unlike on Android tablets.
    No mouse over abilities, means the implementation of flash sucks still since a large majority of flash based sites and applications require mouse over

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    howarmat likes this.
    06-26-11 06:05 PM
    that site loads and performs just fine on my transformer

its one site i use to demo the device actually
    Off topic//

Your transformer has the keyboard right?
    How are you liking the over all form factor, though I truly can not stand android I am very much looking at the acer iconia tab w500. Which is very similar in form factor to the transformer, but am on the fense as to how it compares to a notebook form factor.

06-26-11 06:07 PM
    No mouse over abilities, means the implementation of flash sucks still since a large majority of flash based sites and applications require mouse over

that i agree with completely. I is very hard to navigate some sites without a mouse type connection. With the transformer dock its not bad since it adds a trackpad, **** i can plug in a mouse too if i wanted.
    06-26-11 06:08 PM
    They're really not, sorry to break it to you. I guess you'll have to wait until next quarters results to see that though.

As I said, word is slowly getting out and even inmates of the igoulag are hearing about it.
    06-27-11 11:24 AM
    I saw 3 potential buyers talked out of buying the PB at bestbuy mobile on saturday, all in a space of 15 minutes and all for valid reasons. No basic PIM without a BB, no app eco-system.

3 in 15 minutes makes me wonder how many get turned away each and every day.
    Last edited by xandermac; 06-27-11 at 11:46 AM.
    06-27-11 11:35 AM
    I saw 5 people pass on an ipad this week. makes me wonder if people are getting fed up with apple
    06-27-11 11:38 AM
    First time I checked out a PB I didn't buy one. There was a creepy guy hanging out near the PB display who gave me the willies so I left and came back later.
    06-27-11 11:44 AM
104 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD