I currently have the Torch 9800...prior to this I had 9700, 9000 & 8300. I say all that to say I am a long time BB user and I love my Playbook! I am patiently waiting for the rollout of 2.0 o/s next week (fingers crossed) as it will help me to make my final decision on what phone I will upgrade to. You might be sayin to yourself why is this relevant?

Well its relevant because I am seriously considering trying out the iphone-4S at least until the QNX phones are released. If the next PB update contains all the goodies that I am hoping for such as native email/calendar & Android Market (Kindle app) then I could crossover to the darkside...just for about a year. I refuse to give up my blackberry email address and I assume native email on the PB would rectify that issue for me if I got an iphone. Also right now I use the bridge browser feature mainly for Facebook & the Kindle Cloud Reader so if the upgrade includes Kindle app via Android Market that would be sweet! And the FB app on the iphone is quite smooth so it would be sufficient when I am not in a wifi zone.

I know that the PB/BB combo is the preferred setup but I have to admit that I am not blown away by the BB7 devices...but if I had to get another BB it would be the 9900. I have now had a chance to play around with the iphone 4, the 9850 & 9900 and its sad to say...I think the iphone has them beat.

Again I am not knocking Blackberry...I've been a loyal supporter and will continue to support them...I just think now I want to try out the iphone for awhile...until the qnx phones anyway....Your thoughts?
    10-13-11 11:39 PM
    My thought is that a see here a lot of reasons to stay with your Blackberry and wait for OS 2.0/ QNX phones but not a single one to go with iphone 4S - are you looking for an excuse just because you want one and can't find a good reason?
    10-13-11 11:45 PM
    Go for the iPhone 4s, if you like it stay with it, and when the QNX phones are released, check them out. If they are worth it and provides you with more options and features, then buy the QNX phone.

nova_8 likes this.
    10-13-11 11:48 PM
    I currently have the Torch 9800...prior to this I had 9700, 9000 & 8300. I say all that to say I am a long time BB user and I love my Playbook! I am patiently waiting for the rollout of 2.0 o/s next week (fingers crossed) as it will help me to make my final decision on what phone I will upgrade to. You might be sayin to yourself why is this relevant?

Well its relevant because I am seriously considering trying out the iphone-4S at least until the QNX phones are released. If the next PB update contains all the goodies that I am hoping for such as native email/calendar & Android Market (Kindle app) then I could crossover to the darkside...just for about a year. I refuse to give up my blackberry email address and I assume native email on the PB would rectify that issue for me if I got an iphone. Also right now I use the bridge browser feature mainly for Facebook & the Kindle Cloud Reader so if the upgrade includes Kindle app via Android Market that would be sweet! And the FB app on the iphone is quite smooth so it would be sufficient when I am not in a wifi zone.

I know that the PB/BB combo is the preferred setup but I have to admit that I am not blown away by the BB7 devices...but if I had to get another BB it would be the 9900. I have now had a chance to play around with the iphone 4, the 9850 & 9900 and its sad to say...I think the iphone has them beat.

Again I am not knocking Blackberry...I've been a loyal supporter and will continue to support them...I just think now I want to try out the iphone for awhile...until the qnx phones anyway....Your thoughts?

My thought...no-one is saying you must change your phone. Keep using your 9800, wait for QNX and save your money till the QNX phones come out. I'm thankfully locked into a contract which should expire around the time the QNX phones come out, but that being said I would still probably just sit on my phone which works for me just fine as it is.
    10-13-11 11:52 PM
    My thought...no-one is saying you must change your phone. Keep using your 9800, wait for QNX and save your money till the QNX phones come out. I'm thankfully locked into a contract which should expire around the time the QNX phones come out, but that being said I would still probably just sit on my phone which works for me just fine as it is.

Sounds reasonable - I'm sitting on a 9700 until the Q phones come out, why change now? It's solid, great bridge partner.

I'm also thinking the 9800 must be a recent acquisition, are you going to abandon it for the latest toy so soon? You aren't giving up the playbook, Iphone doesn't bridge. Or will you use use two phones? Doesn't make much sense either way, why not just wait a while - you're pretty well setup with the 9800.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 10-14-11 at 12:02 AM.
    10-13-11 11:57 PM
    I don't see why you want to try the iPhone when you have the Playbook? Isn't this playbook a much better size than smaller smartphones? Do you see my point? I see good things for this device in the future. I prefer it to smartphones and I like tethering with my Torch 9800.
    10-13-11 11:59 PM
    Shocking!

Seriously though....whatever floats your boat. You're the consumer. I guess a little experimentation couldn't hurt!
    10-14-11 12:23 AM
    I don't see why you want to try the iPhone when you have the Playbook? Isn't this playbook a much better size than smaller smartphones? Do you see my point? I see good things for this device in the future. I prefer it to smartphones and I like tethering with my Torch 9800.
    Yes - I mainly use my phone as a data device - rarely make calls, so once I had my PB, that became my main device. Except for bridging of course. That's awesome!
    10-14-11 12:28 AM
    Hang on until 2.0 and then decide if you want an iPhone or your Torch tethered to your Playbook. Weigh the one against the 2 since there will probably be a fee for tether of wifi hotspot.
    10-14-11 12:35 AM
    RIM must also thinking the way you think and this is the reason why RIM does not want to make PlayBook the best Tablet as this may lead their BlackBerry mobile user to move to iphone. Just my thought!
    10-14-11 07:26 AM
    I am rockin my 9700 and Playbook waiting for QNX phone... But to support your opinion having a iPhone maybe you cant bridge but you will have a WIFI Hotspot capability so i think that with OS2 and having that hotspot everywhere could be awesome... just my thoughts
    10-14-11 07:44 AM
    I am rockin my 9700 and Playbook waiting for QNX phone... But to support your opinion having a iPhone maybe you cant bridge but you will have a WIFI Hotspot capability so i think that with OS2 and having that hotspot everywhere could be awesome... just my thoughts

This,

I use the wifi hotspot with my Android phone right now and it is great. I can't compare to the bridge because I haven't used it before, but the hotspot works very well.
    10-14-11 07:50 AM
    I was in your position in July. Gave up my Torch and got an iPhone 4. That was in July. In September I very happily paid for a new 9900 as the iPhone novelty had worn off and I really wanted a solid communications device again. Just my $0.02.
    10-14-11 08:30 AM
    I had a similar dilemma when I first bought my PB. I had just bought a Nokia N8 and I LOVED it. I mean, with a 12 mp camera, it fit my lifestyle perfectly! Then I got the PB and heard about the bridge feature, so I thought I would give a Torch a try. I really miss my Nokia, still have it in fact, but I am using the Torch all the time - even with its terrible camera, just because of the bridge. I won't give up the bridge. It's far too valuable. Good luck on whatever you decide!
    10-14-11 08:31 AM
    My thought is that a see here a lot of reasons to stay with your Blackberry and wait for OS 2.0/ QNX phones but not a single one to go with iphone 4S - are you looking for an excuse just because you want one and can't find a good reason?
    You are somewhat right. There are alot of reasons to stay with a Blackberry phone. I will admit that I have a certain curiousity with the iPhone 4. This is the first version of the iPhone that has remotely captured my interest and this latest 5.0 os update is quite impressive (from what I have seen so far). I've had an iTouch for years now which was enough to satisfy what ever interest I had in Apple products. With that said...yes the 9800 is somewhat of a new acquisition. I've had it for almost a year now but to be honest I wish I had stayed with my 9700. That has been my best BB to date. The 9800 performs well with the Playbook but I find the 9800 cumbersome. I've grown to hate the slider functionality of it.

I hope that RIM comes correct with the PB update...but as another poster stated they might not want to make it the "perfect tablet" out of fears that their BB phone sales may suffer. Either way I'm keeping my Playbook and will wait until 2.0 is released to decide if I will get the iPhone or 9900. I don't expect the first QNX phone until at least this time next year anyway.
    10-14-11 08:43 AM
    I did the iPhone thing a couple years ago, and I just got bored with it after a few months. Ended up going back to my old Curve until I got an Android device. Now I'm back with BB after getting the PB a few weeks ago, and the 9850 last week.

If you're like me, you just want the latest/greatest stuff that comes out. You'll keep thinking about the iPhone 4s until you get it. So I say go for it, if anything just to satisfy your curiosity. Then take advantage of the return policy if you don't like it.

Even if you only use it a couple months, iPhones hold their value well, so you can always sell it and get a QNX phone next year. You'll be ready to come back to BB after a few months with an iPhone.
    10-14-11 08:49 AM
    I think the main question you have to ask yourself before you go and spend $400-$500 on a new phone is what you really want and expect from it. About a year ago I sold my Blackberry Bold 9700 and purchased a Samsung Galaxy "super phone". I kept it for about 3 months and ended up selling it privately and now have a Blackberry Torch that I am more happy with. The biggest thing is to determine what you really use it for and want you want it to do. Do you want a toy with a ton of cool/useless apps or a communication device? There is really no right answer for everyone but do yourself a favor and figure this out ahead of time. I absolutely hated typing emails on a touch screen only keyboard and really missed BBM. For me these ended up outweighing being able to play Angry Birds, having Google Maps with Navigation and a super high resolution screen. Not saying those are Iphone issues but just pointing out that every device has it's pros and cons.

Just my 2 cents,
    10-14-11 08:59 AM
    I'm going with iphone 4s too but will keep my playbook, i don't need the bridge if i have the iphone hotspot, i was tethering my bb to get better speed anyway and i've always use my phone for email and calendar. I would say go for it and if QNX phone are interesting you could always sell the apple phone and get back.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-14-11 09:00 AM
    Think about it this way.

Say you got yourself a really hot wife/husband. They are good to you, they help you out alot, gets things done for you. You've been together for a long time but they just don't get you as excited as they used to. Now you call her Mrs. Reliable.

Oh no, now look who just moved in next door. Another hottie. They look hip and fun, they are always out there playing games and they're a big show off strutting their stuff for all to see. The more people that look at her the happy she is.

So do you maybe go visit your new neighbor knowing full well that all the other guys/girls on the street are checking out your hot wife/husband too? or do you just stick with Mrs. Reliable.

Moral to the story, from where you're standing it may certainly look brighter on the other side and just like all the other shiney toys out there you might want it sooo bad but after a while you'll get bored of that too. If your that curious go check it out. Nothing says you gotta stay. Maybe swap phones with a friend who has an iphone for a day or two and see what its like with something else.
    10-14-11 09:04 AM
    Think about it this way.

Say you got yourself a really hot wife/husband. They are good to you, they help you out alot, gets things done for you. You've been together for a long time but they just don't get you as excited as they used to. Now you call her Mrs. Reliable.

Oh no, now look who just moved in next door. Another hottie. They look hip and fun, they are always out there playing games and they're a big show off strutting their stuff for all to see. The more people that look at her the happy she is.

So do you maybe go visit your new neighbor knowing full well that all the other guys/girls on the street are checking out your hot wife/husband too? or do you just stick with Mrs. Reliable.

Moral to the story, from where you're standing it may certainly look brighter on the other side and just like all the other shiney toys out there you might want it sooo bad but after a while you'll get bored of that too. If your that curious go check it out. Nothing says you gotta stay. Maybe swap phones with a friend who has an iphone for a day or two and see what its like with something else.
    I would take the young hottie 99% if they would have me. You only live once. So I guess this means by the iphone
    10-14-11 09:11 AM
    Despite what you will likely read here, the iPhone is a fantastic device. However, coming from a long history of BlackBerry devices as you are, I am willing to bet that you will be met with both fascination and disappointment with the iPhone 4S. The screen is amazing on the 4 (and therefore the 4S) and the device is very, very fast. Overwhelmingly the software (both Apple and third-party) is top-notch and highly polished. There is software available for iOS to do just about anything you want to do, and even some things you didn't know you wanted to do. The web browsing experience is excellent (despite the chants of "No Flash" from the peanut gallery).

But... what I have found time and time again as an owner of all versions of the iPhone (save the 4S) and a dozen BlackBerry devices (starting with the 950) is that it's the small things that keep me coming back to the BlackBerry. The keyboard on the BlackBerry is unmatched. The customization with regards to sound profiles, in-holster recognition, and charging cradle recognition is fantastic. Keyboard shortcuts are brilliant. I can flag Exchange e-mails. I can star Google e-mails. I can dial from the home screen. For me, the BlackBerry is an unmatched communications device. Does it match the iPhone in terms of games, applications, etc.? No. Absolutely not. Does the iPhone match the BlackBerry in terms of communications? No. Absolutely not. At least not for me.

But there's the rub. What do you honestly expect from the device? Only you can decide what will work for you. For me, I decided that communications comes first, and everything else that's lacking will be supplemented with the PlayBook and the iPad 2 that I have, at least when my wife let's me borrow my iPad 2.

Good luck.
    Last edited by ifarlow; 10-14-11 at 09:23 AM.
    10-14-11 09:21 AM
    I was in your position in July. Gave up my Torch and got an iPhone 4. That was in July. In September I very happily paid for a new 9900 as the iPhone novelty had worn off and I really wanted a solid communications device again. Just my $0.02.
    I didnt give up my BB but i did buy an iP4 just so see what all the fuss is about. I must say im rather confused as to why anyone would want to use this thing as a comunication device. I made a post about it in the iPhone section here. I just cannot get through my head what ty hype is about the iP4 or S or wtv. its an ipod touch with an antena.
    10-14-11 09:21 AM
    I tried several Android phones and even a Windows7 phone pre mengo. Actually prefered the UI of the Win7 over all the others. I do have an iPod Touch, it is fine but no better than Android UI wise. I have the 9850 and have had no real issues. My main phone line is up for renewal in Jan 12. I will look at QNX phone for comparison. I use bridge only for emails, cal and contacts. My VZ MiFi is used for internet since I have multiple devices that need web access including my HP e printer. I don't see myself leaving BB unless the new Win8 has a bridge like feature added, then the Win7 Phone would be tempting. It all hinges on how well the new QNX phones and PB updates go over the next several months.
    10-14-11 09:23 AM
    OP, where did you got the idea that RIM would release Android Market on the PB? The Android Market on the leaked Android player was a hack done by one of the members of this forum, RIM is NOT going to release it and for all we know we arent even gonna be able to tinker with the Android player.
    10-14-11 09:57 AM
    I came back after three years of being on the iphone (3g,3gs,4).. The iphone 4 was a pile of ****ake. I ditched it for a spare 9700 i had in my office as i couldn't wait 2 more month to get a 9900. The 9700 was horrible initially but it worked as a phone. The 9900 blows it away 10 fold.. Seriously. I can get the new iphone but i don't want it.. I absolutely love the 9900.. I got the 9900, tried the 9810, upgraded someone with that phone. Got a 9860 and then was given a htc evo 3d to try for a while, gave that up and back on a torch 9810. Then upgraded them to get the 9900 back... The phone does everything i want.. Fast Web Browsing, instant email (bes admin), Bbm (didn't know why i would want it but love it) can make and recieve calls flawlessly (iphone 4 was garbage for me on both iphone 4s i had). Tethering to my laptop gets me 10 Mbps downloads and 1.5 Mbps uploads on rogers. Thethering to my playbook works pretty well as well.

If you want and Iphone, get one, but after awhile you will realize that you need an app for that is annoying and wonder why the browser won't just let you use that website
    jvictor77 likes this.
    10-14-11 10:23 AM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD