I was under the impression that the Playbook utilized true multitasking. I bought the Stay Lit app so i could easily use Google Music and it uses its own card. Whenever i switch to the browser the music just pauses until i switch back... heck the iPhone and iPad can do that without issue and same for my HP Touchpad. Am i doing something wrong or is it really that limiting? Same thing happens for youtube as well... it just pauses in the background until you go back...
    11-26-11 11:35 AM
    However Pandora works like expected everything else to. Why the differences?
    11-26-11 11:39 AM
    it is true multitasking. just go to options / general and switch from default to showcase
    11-26-11 11:39 AM
    watching.....
    11-26-11 11:40 AM
    Try going to the "general" tab found by popping the gear symbol in the upper right corner of your home screen. Set device behavior to "showcase" mode. Showcase enables full multitasking.
    11-26-11 11:41 AM
    Why showcase is not the default is odd. Is there any sacrifice to using it?
    11-26-11 11:42 AM
    Running multiple processes concurrently uses resources.
    11-26-11 11:45 AM
    Most people probably think the default is fine as that is how the others work.
    CracklePot likes this.
    11-26-11 11:58 AM
    Resources and more importantly an increase in battery usage.
    When the applications are in showcase mode, they need to be kept 'active' even when they are in the background.
    When they are active they are consuming CPU cycles and memory.

You may not notice a drain in battery life if you have two or three apps open but you definitely will if you have more and/or videos/browser open.
    menaknow likes this.
    11-26-11 12:19 PM
    Stay Lit Music keeps music sites like Google Music Beta* in full screen, does not time out and is a separate app so you can use it to listen while you are browse other web sites (in showcase mode).
    11-26-11 12:24 PM
    Most people probably think the default is fine as that is how the others work.
    LOL!

Good one kbz - dont want to overwhelm them right at first - the shock and awe is not good for the faint of heart!
    11-26-11 12:27 PM
    Resources and more importantly an increase in battery usage.
    When the applications are in showcase mode, they need to be kept 'active' even when they are in the background.
    When they are active they are consuming CPU cycles and memory.

You may not notice a drain in battery life if you have two or three apps open but you definitely will if you have more and/or videos/browser open.
    Good point and good tip!
    Where did my thank button go? It's been replaced by "News tip?" wtf is that?
    11-26-11 12:28 PM
    Running showcase uses a lot of batteries, that may be the reason...
    11-26-11 12:54 PM
    Good point and good tip!
    Where did my thank button go? It's been replaced by "News tip?" wtf is that?
    I've noticed that too on occasion. Maybe they don't want you handing them out too freely and turn them off.
    11-26-11 01:27 PM
    I believe one is only able to use the "thanks" button a limited number of times in a 24-hr period. http://forums.crackberry.com/site-qu...n-gone-602365/
    pandemicSK likes this.
    11-26-11 01:35 PM
    It is funny how the PB gets bashed (without merit at that) about the "true multi-tasking" abilities and is quickly compared to the Apple family of products, only to find out that they were wrong since a simple setting adjustment unleashes the power. He/She is a recent member to the CB family so I guess I shouldn't be to harsh. To BigRed, have a coke and a smile, enjoy your PlayBook my friend
    11-26-11 02:30 PM
    People are getting way out of hand on this site. Not as informative and enjoyable as it used to be. Sad.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    11-26-11 02:43 PM
    I've noticed that too on occasion. Maybe they don't want you handing them out too freely and turn them off.
    or it's a slow news day and they need tips?

I believe one is only able to use the "thanks" button a limited number of times in a 24-hr period. http://forums.crackberry.com/site-qu...n-gone-602365/
    wow that's a little harsh on grateful people such as myself. But I have an unlimited "like" plan?

People are getting way out of hand on this site. Not as informative and enjoyable as it used to be. Sad.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Probably true but not sure why you would say that in this thread - I actually learned something I did not know - why my battery drains faster than others claim - showcase mode!
    11-26-11 02:52 PM
    Running showcase uses a lot of batteries, that may be the reason...
    Just to avoid spreading misinformation, please note that the above is not entirely true in many cases.

Under some conditions which I believe are relatively rare for most users, it can be true.

An app like the camera does use a fair bit of power when active because they keep some peripheral (such as the camera sensors) powered on and active. The camera uses something like 1.0W (haven't actually measured it much), while the GPS uses 0.3W.

Poorly written apps, like some of the worst Flash apps and a few of the recent Marmalade-based games (e.g. Sim City and Bejeweled 2), will consume extra power when they're supposed to be inactive.

For those sorts of apps, if you have one running in the background and are using some other less power-hungry app fullscreen, using the Default or Paused modes will definitely save you some battery.

If you're not running a "bad" app, or one which keeps some peripheral/sensor powered on even when it's in the background, using Showcase mode does not use a significant amount of extra power.

I've got a lot of experience watching the power readings with Showcase and Default at this point, and I run with Showcase on 98% of the time now.

Note that in any of those modes, Showcase, Default, or Paused, almost all apps are in fact inactive when the tablet goes into Standby. I tend to tap the battery icon and force the thing into Standby immediately when I'm done what I'm doing, to save power, and that makes a far greater difference than using Default instead of Showcase does.
    pandemicSK and CracklePot like this.
    11-26-11 02:55 PM
    Awesome!!! Haha I knew I had to be doing something wrong! Great news. FYI, I wasnt hating on blackberry with my post. I was just wondering if this was a limitation or if I was doing it wrong since I heard it was true multitasking. Otherwise without showcase its multitasking is only slightly better than iOS. Anyway I'll be sure to change the settings when I get home, thanks everyone. I'm loving this Playbook, I'm not sure why the tech sites show so much hate towards it....
    11-26-11 04:15 PM
    in my playbook, native app still freezes when I switch apps. It wasn't like that in 1.0.5, I hope RIM would fix this in OS 2..
    11-26-11 04:16 PM
    He/She is a recent member to the CB family so I guess I shouldn't be to harsh.
    No you really shouldn't. Nothing about the OP came off as bashing. I think its good that (s)he came and asked the question as opposed to returning it and then started another "Had the playbook and returned a day later" thread. The mere mention of the "A" word seems to rub people the wrong way.
    BRxWoden likes this.
    11-26-11 04:33 PM
    The tech sites hate it b/c it's not a copy of an iPad or an Android tablet, which means they a) can't compare on specs alone and b) might have to use it/ think about it before reviewing.

It's a little different UI, different multitasking model, has bridge vs. native, 7" not 10", etc. Every tech site out there was bashing the iPad when it was introduced as well. Before they used it, of course. The PB is just a way of Thinking Different.

I'm tellin' ya too. I always had an iPad and liked it, but iCan't put this PB down at the moment. This thing rocks.
    CracklePot likes this.
    11-26-11 05:36 PM
    The tech sites hate it b/c it's not a copy of an iPad or an Android tablet, which means they a) can't compare on specs alone and b) might have to use it/ think about it before reviewing.

It's a little different UI, different multitasking model, has bridge vs. native, 7" not 10", etc. Every tech site out there was bashing the iPad when it was introduced as well. Before they used it, of course. The PB is just a way of Thinking Different.

I'm tellin' ya too. I always had an iPad and liked it, but iCan't put this PB down at the moment. This thing rocks.
    Nope. They hate it because it doesn't much content and lacks native email and calendar. Nothing to do with hardware or software differences, for the average user it doesn't bring anything different and new than using an iPad (Bridge is only for BB users, not the average user). iPad was first to market, so any competitive tablet needs to bring something new to the table, e.g. Amazon Fire. Otherwise you're a me-too, or worse. I don't buy the excuse that the liberal media did not fairly review the PB, that's bull.
    11-26-11 07:01 PM
    No you really shouldn't. Nothing about the OP came off as bashing. I think its good that (s)he came and asked the question as opposed to returning it and then started another "Had the playbook and returned a day later" thread. The mere mention of the "A" word seems to rub people the wrong way.
    Always good to check post history before jumping to the conclusion that someone is a basher.
    pri79269 likes this.
    11-26-11 07:07 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD