This may seem surprising given the latest delays, but I think there is still a niche for a blackberry tablet - provided it is reasonably developed of course.

I think the original mistake was to sell the playbook as a consumer device with a marginal os. Tablets are all about apps, and there was no way they could compete with Ios or Android.

However there is a need for professional tablets, and in such a case the fact that there are few leisure apps might become a plus, in the same way as in your office or lab you appreciate not having a gaming console.

For this two characteristics should be developed :

- A BB with core "serious" applications already built in and remarkably integrated into the os : videoconference, gps navigation, pim.... An by that I mean an offer superior to the competition, not what we have now

- A app market cleaned of all "not serious" apps, where the presence of a few carefully selected games would be a plus but not essential, and the main room would be kept for professional apps : medical, engineering...

It would be too long to describe all professional needs, but there is a professional world where working with "something else than the angry birds thingie" might be appreciated.
    Last edited by Bakamushi; 06-29-12 at 07:59 AM.
    erhan8 likes this.
    06-29-12 07:46 AM
    x2 They need to focus where they are better, not break through stone and try to get into a war they just can't win.
    06-29-12 07:54 AM
    Too late. RIM doesn't have the money to continue / expand their tablet offerings and with the rise of the $200 Android tablets that don't suck means RIM can't sell a premium priced tablet. They had a chance in the business world but squandered their chance. Now that Microsoft is about to enter the business market RIM is toast. RIM had years to adjust to a changing market and did nothing. It is sad but this is what happens to companies that don't adapt to a changing environment. RIM should have learned from Palm.
    Haseleyman and reschp like this.
    06-29-12 08:27 AM
    Too late. RIM doesn't have the money to continue / expand their tablet offerings and with the rise of the $200 Android tablets that don't suck means RIM can't sell a premium priced tablet. They had a chance in the business world but squandered their chance. Now that Microsoft is about to enter the business market RIM is toast. RIM had years to adjust to a changing market and did nothing. It is sad but this is what happens to companies that don't adapt to a changing environment. RIM should have learned from Palm.
    I think the $200 Android tablets on the market right now all suck.
    06-29-12 08:31 AM
    However there is a need for professional tablets.
    Disagree with you. I work for one of top 4 audit firms. Our current tablet policy is BYOT (read Apple). Android is not secure enough to allow remote wiping if lost or stolen, so none of them has passed the security test. PB are accepted and W8 will also be able just because the Windows OS is so integrated with current Microsoft infrastructure.
    So the other day I wanted to connect my PB remotely to our network when out of office and went to IT. They told me NO, can't do, leadership has not approved as their are no demand to justify a seperate infrastructure (VPN or remote). As PB uses different encryption security than Apple (and Windows), it is too expensive to duplicate (even though we have BES for our BB phones ans uses Balance for the few PB used in office). In the mean time more and more iPad apps and features are added to our company platform, so more employees add their iPads. RIM were late in the tablets market and they missed the bus big time (no, they actully missed the bus, train and plane) and will never be able to be a serious player in the business tablet market.
    Last edited by rcm1301; 06-29-12 at 09:23 AM.
    06-29-12 08:55 AM
    Op, if you were in charge of rim and this was your money you wouldn't be saying any of this.
    06-29-12 09:51 AM
    shyte.

Rim should get out of the tablet business and stick to the phone business. Playbook is dead and if its not its in palliative care....

Just waiting for the end.

To little To late.

The market has spoken....everyones dumping shares of rim.

But i have a great tablet!
    06-29-12 10:02 AM
    ........+1
    06-29-12 11:16 AM
    I agree. RIM should remain in the tablet business. Playbook is really good. Sooner or later, after a certain OS upgrade this thing will rock (and roll this)

Tablets are 'mobile' and RIM is known for mobile products, e.g. Phones...it all makes sense, fits, and works.

How many people in this forum stating RIM should stop are subversive trolls
    06-29-12 03:14 PM
    shyte.

Rim should get out of the tablet business and stick to the phone business. Playbook is dead and if its not its in palliative care....

Just waiting for the end.

To little To late.

The market has spoken....everyones dumping shares of rim.

But i have a great tablet!
    And you are? And who is 'everybody"?
    06-29-12 03:42 PM
    I agree. RIM should remain in the tablet business. Playbook is really good. Sooner or later, after a certain OS upgrade this thing will rock (and roll this)

Tablets are 'mobile' and RIM is known for mobile products, e.g. Phones...it all makes sense, fits, and works.

Rather than attacking those who disagree with you as "subversive trolls" you should look at the numbers - the Playbook is a disaster which has drained RIM dry. Waiting for an OS upgrade to make it rock is a joke.

RIM *was* known for their phones. They are not known for their weak tablet offering. 260,000 units shipped in the quarter. Ooh - that's enough to cause people to say "hey, maybe I won't buy an iPad or Kindle Fire for a tablet with limited applications".

REALLY?
    rcm1301 likes this.
    06-29-12 03:57 PM
    However there is a need for professional tablets
    Yup, its called an iPad - you know, the device millions of people use at work?

RIM needs to continue in the tablet business?....son, RIM was never even IN the tablet business.

This ships sailed, all thats left is to sell off the pieces.

06-29-12 04:08 PM

I think you missed taking your medication today.
    06-29-12 05:36 PM

RIM needs to continue in the tablet business?....son, RIM was never even IN the tablet business.
    06-29-12 05:44 PM
    Rather than attacking those who disagree with you as "subversive trolls" you should look at the numbers - the Playbook is a disaster which has drained RIM dry. Waiting for an OS upgrade to make it rock is a joke.

RIM *was* known for their phones. They are not known for their weak tablet offering. 260,000 units shipped in the quarter. Ooh - that's enough to cause people to say "hey, maybe I won't buy an iPad or Kindle Fire for a tablet with limited applications".

REALLY?

The playbook RIM initially launched lacked many things...that's why it didn't sell well. It gets better with each OS upgrade

People could buy an iPad and a playbook
    06-29-12 05:49 PM
    Yup, its called an iPad - you know, the device millions of people use at work?

This ships sailed, all thats left is to sell off the pieces.

Ya...and who was in the tablet business...

By your weak logic the only business making smartphones should be RIM
    06-29-12 05:52 PM
    I think you missed taking your medication today.

Tell it to your psychiatrist
    Last edited by anthogag; 06-29-12 at 05:59 PM.
    06-29-12 05:55 PM
    Why not continue to make tablets, it would be a decision that I would expect from RIM.
    06-29-12 06:12 PM
    Ok let's be realistic 260 k in play books sold

That's 52 million in sales assuming avg retail of 200

But wait rim wholesales tablets to retails for let's say 150

So now ur down to approx 39 million revenue

How much profit is that? Less than zero

Numbers don't lie and to double down on bad bets is what bad gamblers do I hope they aren't that clueless and delusional
    06-29-12 06:45 PM
    And learned from Wang as well. While my heart is with them my brain is gery concerned.
    06-30-12 05:03 AM
    yea idk about more tablets... maybe well into the future.

Sent from my sexy 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-30-12 10:23 AM
    "I think RIM should continue doing tablets"

I think someone here is personally angry with RIM... he he, just kidding... anyway, the best thing for RIM to do now is to get back the trust and confidence of their loyal customers by continually doing things that made these customers loyal to them... then, in case they somehow managed to recover, then, that is the right time for them to try the "tablet" business again... if they wanted to...
    06-30-12 02:43 PM
    I agree. G-d gave us M/S for tablets and RIM for phones with keyboards and fine email.
    06-30-12 02:51 PM
    Yes they should. If and only if BB10 phones are a hit.
    06-30-12 02:59 PM
    I think RIM should stay in the tablet business - but I love my playbook. I see more ipads at work than playbooks which strikes me as funny because most of these ppl have bb phones. But mostly they don't know the pb exists and all the apps come out for the ipad. Sad but true.
    I always think if they just try the playbook they would be blown away by the ui - which is superior to anything else I have tried. So yes - I hope they keep making tablets. Who knows? Maybe the world will catch on to what a great little tablet it is.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-30-12 08:52 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD