I have been playing with my new 16GB Playbook. It is a fun $199 tablet. This is a much better price point than the initial $499 point.

-sbc
    Sadly, that's about all this thing is worth...Barely
    12-26-11 08:58 PM
    Sadly, that's about all this thing is worth...Barely
    In its current state, i agree. 2.0 may make this thing worth more, but as released, it was worth the 199/299/399 spread... not 499/599/699.
    bitek likes this.
    12-26-11 09:18 PM
    You do realize that if Apple hadn't succeeded with the iPad, RIM would never have made a Playbook, right?
    true. if it was not for apple and concept of apps we would not have pb or any other tsblet. ms tried it before with little success
    12-26-11 10:19 PM
    I'm sorry but that's like saying that if Alexander Graham Bell hadn't succeeded with the telephone no one would have made a cell phone - true but irrelevant to the discussion at hand.
    How many fans of telephones deride Bell's work? (look at the post to which I was responding again)

"GayPad", as clever as that may be to some, was meant as an insult to the work Apple engineers did in this field. Of course that's offensive on a couple different levels. But beyond being offensive, it also makes absolutely no sense. If you love the Playbook, then why would you hate the device that *directly* caused RIM to rush out and make the Playbook?

Every other tablet before was a failure, so RIM would never have entered a failed market. Or even thought of it. So, again, as a Playbook fan, it should be obvious that iPad was a very important milestone in the market.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 12-26-11 at 10:43 PM.
    teknishun likes this.
    12-26-11 10:40 PM
    You do realize that if Apple hadn't succeeded with the iPad, RIM would never have made a Playbook, right?
    Well said. How does knocking one product make the other one better? Doesn't make sense.
    12-26-11 11:14 PM
    How cheap can they sell a unit and break even?
    12-26-11 11:36 PM
    How cheap can they sell a unit and break even?
    People are quoting component pricing a little over $200 for the 16GB model. But that doesn't take into account distribution costs, promotional, marketing, support, and obviously software.

I haven't seen a really thorough pricing model yet for this.
    12-26-11 11:43 PM
    I think they're taking a loss, but from what I've heard and in the spirit of my first OP in this thread, this is still the best move they could have made. Sticking with the $500 and up price range would have been worse for them trying to recoup their losses because even though the PB in its more recent state is finally being recognized as a great piece of equipment, they don't have the popular following to move enough those units on the market, and get them into the public eye. Yes, it's making lemonade out of lemons for RIM unfortunately, but you have to go with the best plan you can have under the circumstances. Had they allowed android apps in April 2011 instead of Feb 2012 they'd be in a better place but what's done is done. The average user doesn't really know that The PB's technical specs are ahead of most of the competition, and the average Joe is the majority of the consumer base. I know I'm happy that I'm a somewhat tech savvy gadget buyer, so I'm very satisfied with my choice. Especially when it was at a price that I can replace the unit whenever I feel like it and have had my money's worth out of it
    12-27-11 01:19 AM
    i think the title is a little misleading. RIM has been doing anything BUT clever moves for the entire playbook lifecycle so far.

its one thing to 'make lemonade out of lemons', but its another thing entirely to try and patch up a huge disaster.

"tech savvy" people choosing devices solely on specs, especially when you're dealing with completely different operating systems, is not very smart. as seen in the other thread here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-video-682066/

the higher end specs of the playbook is actually slower than the lower specced iphone. why? software. when you have the iphone which has a dual 800mhz cpu with 'only' 512mb ram outperforming the playbook which has 1ghz dual core and 1 whole gig of ram, you quickly see that specs on different platforms doesn't matter AT all. its all about software optimization.

that being said, for $200, my playbook was a decent buy but im REALLY hoping os 2.0 brings along something special or else its going on craigslist..
    12-27-11 01:34 AM
    you already answered your own points when you said $200 mate
    that was the whole point of this thread but I still disagree. I've seen the load time comparisons between the two and the honest reviewers stated that a lot of the speed discrepancies were due to the PB loading flash content.
    Last edited by omniusovermind; 12-27-11 at 01:47 AM.
    12-27-11 01:39 AM
    you already answered your own points when you said $200 mate
    that was the whole point of this thread but I still disagree. I've seen the load time comparisons between the two and the honest reviewers stated that a lot of the speed discrepancies were due to the PB loading flash content.
    that speed test has nothing to do with flash. its only javascript.

plus, $200 when they should have gotten $499? not good for RIM. the fire sale making everyone think the playbook was 'defeated'? not good for RIM. this 'defeated' outlook translated by potential developers? not good for RIM.

i think the only "good" thing that came out of this sale was that RIM finally got to move their inventory out of warehouses. in the long run, it didn't help them at all, and in fact, did the complete opposite by further tarnishing their reputation.
    12-27-11 01:51 AM
    Opinions on cost vary, as threads here witness, but the calculations that look the most reliable (to me) say that putting a 16GB Playbook into the hands of a buyer costs between $270 to $300, at least based on price of components six months ago when the Playbook hit the market--possibly it's a bit cheaper now. This is the marginal cost for one unit, i.e., it represents parts, manufacturing, warehousing and fulfillment--but NOT R&D, promotion and advertising. Obviously, RIM cannot afford to go on selling the Playbook at $199 without something giving. It will be interesting to see what kind of rabbit gets pulled out of the hat.
    12-27-11 01:53 AM

plus, $200 when they should have gotten $499? not good for RIM. the fire sale making everyone think the playbook was 'defeated'? not good for RIM. this 'defeated' outlook translated by potential developers? not good for RIM.

i think the only "good" thing that came out of this sale was that RIM finally got to move their inventory out of warehouses. in the long run, it didn't help them at all, and in fact, did the complete opposite by further tarnishing their reputation.
    ok thank you for your personal opinion
    12-27-11 01:55 AM
    the sale is a great idea....its now available to us in indonesia. i bought 2 because of it and contemplating another one.
    12-27-11 06:53 AM

This developer is quite pleased that RIM has taken many PBs out of warehouses and put them in users hands. They are tapping the Buy button and that means more income to me. They like my app and they like their PBs. In fact, my app can be all that it is because PB is an excellent platform. I want to see more of this - not less - thank you very much.

My sales are also improving RIMs balance sheet but this fact is mere coincidence as far as I am concerned. I do not see any discernible "defeated" syndrome among the people writing reviews for my app. This idea seems to be only in the heads of those who wish to spread FUD to the masses. If you are so concerned about my welfare then you should stop this nonsense right now!
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-27-11 07:17 AM
    I do not get it why some are so fixed on the fact that RIM sells PB below cost. Many companies do that. They sell hardware below cost and make up money on software or accessories. Good examples are Microsoft,Sony,Gillette etc. Playbook or to be exact QNX is vital to future success of the company
    hpjrt likes this.
    12-27-11 07:44 AM
    I do not get it why some are so fixed on the fact that RIM sells PB below cost. Many companies do that. They sell hardware below cost and make up money on software or accessories. Good examples are Microsoft,Sony,Gillette etc. Playbook or to be exact QNX is vital to future success of the company
    Well, I speculate that rim does not make enough on its appworld commissions to make up the price loss of selling at $200 (16g). But then again, I do read of folks purchasing BB phones to complement their pb. Now, that could be a nice way to make up the loss. But how many are really getting a bb phone?

I will say, that from reading here, many of the new purchasers (at these new, low prices) are happier about their purchases than some of the original purchasers at the much higher costs. So better word-of-mouth is a result at the moment.

We shall see how well rim performs with OS2 in Feb (march, april....?) and eventually with their phones at the end of next year.
    BuzzStarField likes this.
    12-27-11 09:41 AM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD