It is kinda funny how some people just can't understand how a popular app like Netflix would add to the marketability of the PB, even if they themselves might not want it.

I was in the gadget store a few days ago and just passed by the tablet area. Stopped to see how thebPB demo unit was doing. Actually it was in demo mode and was working fine. While doing this, a lady asked me if it had netflix and skype. It has neither. She lost interest right away and headed towards the row of Android tablets.

What makes this particularly galling is that my Panasonic bluray disk player for $129 has both skype and netflix. My $109 Samsung bluray disk player has Netflix. And my $89 WDTV media centre has netflix. How could BlackBerry so miss the market appeal of these apps that other companies seem to have no problem porting onto their devices??? Don't even start with "its not a media consumption device, it's a professional grade tablet".

I know I know these were decisions made by the previous management team. And they will be in BB10, right?

And do you think this is RIM's fault that Netflix isn't there? RIM was actively trying to go after Netflix and anyone that has a memory, Netflix issued a statement and said they will not be supporting RIM devices... So how is that RIM's fault exactly? You can't blame RIM, yes you can find non tablet devices that have netflix on it, but it's based on a general code that QNX doesn't support. So your bluray player and tv use a type of programming code and have the authorization from Netflix to use. Again, not RIM's fault.

And for the guy that says "feels the same about Skype..." Skype is coming my friend. MS and RIM have been working together for a long time now, and now just waiting for BB10 os release and the BB10 os launch to say Skype is here and will be supported in native QNX code.
    12-06-12 01:34 PM
    And do you think this is RIM's fault that Netflix isn't there? RIM was actively trying to go after Netflix and anyone that has a memory, Netflix issued a statement and said they will not be supporting RIM devices... So how is that RIM's fault exactly? You can't blame RIM, yes you can find non tablet devices that have netflix on it, but it's based on a general code that QNX doesn't support. So your bluray player and tv use a type of programming code and have the authorization from Netflix to use. Again, not RIM's fault.

And for the guy that says "feels the same about Skype..." Skype is coming my friend. MS and RIM have been working together for a long time now, and now just waiting for BB10 os release and the BB10 os launch to say Skype is here and will be supported in native QNX code.
    1. I think NetFlix didn't want to build for BlackBerry because they saw BlackBerry as a dying OS. By most developers, BlackBerry was (and still continues to be) seen as a dying OS because their BB6/7 fell behind competition. So, it's not exactly NetFlix fault either that RIM started to lose marketshare. That's RIM's fault alone. Hopefully, though, with BB 10, RIM will re-gain the place it lost due to its negligence and arrogance and then likes of NetFlix will flock back. But right now, I think, RIM needs NetFlix, Skype, Kindle and other top-downloaded apps more than they need RIM.

2. Skype is going to be there. I believe your assertion. What we do not know is if it's going to be a fully functional Skype or if it's going to be a crippled (text-chat only) version of Skype! We will find out soon enough.
    12-06-12 02:00 PM
    I find it this conversation about Netflix amusing. I had Netflix and I bought a 1st Gen Ipad. At first there wasn't an app for Netflix so I used the browser the watch Netflix. Safari for IOS was crap back then and it still worked. Everyone forgets that Netflix is a web based program, the app is just a browser that goes straight to Netflix's website. BB10 will have the best browser on the market and that includes desktop browsers. You can use the web to watch your Netflix and do it full screen. Native support for Netflix is not that important, and if it is then side loading Android apps should be available on BB10 devices so you can still have a Netflix app if that is what you wish.
    12-06-12 02:17 PM
    I find it this conversation about Netflix amusing. I had Netflix and I bought a 1st Gen Ipad. At first there wasn't an app for Netflix so I used the browser the watch Netflix. Safari for IOS was crap back then and it still worked. Everyone forgets that Netflix is a web based program, the app is just a browser that goes straight to Netflix's website. BB10 will have the best browser on the market and that includes desktop browsers. You can use the web to watch your Netflix and do it full screen. Native support for Netflix is not that important, and if it is then side loading Android apps should be available on BB10 devices so you can still have a Netflix app if that is what you wish.
    As far as I know, the statement will only be correct if the browser supports Silverlight (Or Netflix changes to something else). Will the new browser support it? I am not asking to be snarky, I am actually wondering if anyone knows. EVen if it is the "best on the market" it doesn't automatically mean it will support everything.
    howarmat and crackberryjill like this.
    12-06-12 03:08 PM
    bmercer94 Posts like this is what makes CB so great. It is also why the site has been the biggest success of the BB/CB community.
    12-06-12 03:12 PM
    'Here's How' had a article awhile back same about netflix not being worth the $ asked for in Canada.

Regards watching movies et al on small scrn..... same peolpe who bought into that activity when cell/smartphone rolled out ..... very likely same who also have the largest scrns on a wall or two at their residence ! ehhhhhh !!?
    12-06-12 05:14 PM
    i highly doubt you will access netflix from the web. like mentioned you need a MS plugin called silverlight to use it on the web. I dont think the iOS app accesses the web either.
    12-06-12 05:53 PM
    I love netflix but not on my tablet.
    I just don't understand why anyone would prefer to watch a movie or show on a 7 to 10 inch screen over a tv.
    I wouldn't use it on a phone in Canada either. PlayBook I can see the case because it plugs into the tv. But on a 4" screen in a country with crappy, overpriced data plans? No way!

I've probably launched the Netflix app on my iPhone twice. And I like the content in Netflix Canada.
    12-06-12 06:03 PM
    On the road, streaming Netflix wirelessly via phone (to compatible TVs) is pretty nice.
    12-06-12 07:38 PM
    I never understood the desire for Netflix when the price was higher. My son just gifted us with a Roku2 and all I can say is it sure would be nice to be able to get all that content on my pb - wow. For only $7.99 a month? Definitely not a deal breaker for me cuz I love my pb but again, sure would be nice.
    12-06-12 09:49 PM
    I take the subway and public transit to work everyday and Netflix, HBO.GO and Crackle are my best friends. Many people are not in a situation where they can take advantage of these services and think they are useless but to those who use it frequently we appreciate being able to have content at our fingertips at anytime on any screen size. I have Netflix on all of my devices not because I had to have it but because the option was there and I like the choice of using a service I already pay for on another device when I'm away from my TV. I work in accounting but I'm not always at work so I need entertainment on the go when I want it.
    12-07-12 12:39 PM
    Now I understand why you guys want the Netflix app.
    It's also hard to describe to non-netflix members why it's a must have on a portable device. Before I had Netflix, I thought Netflix was a waste of money. Now that I have it, I'm like "holy **** I need this on everything" Luckily I have access on it from my Laptop and TV so it's not the end of the world. But having Netflix access on something super portable like the PB would be very convenient outside of the house.
    12-07-12 02:51 PM
    I honestly have no use for Netflix but I know others want it and it can only help if it become available. . .
    Netflix: Offer Support for RIM Blackberry Devices
    http://www.change.org/petitions/netf...medium=twitter
    Hulu: Allow a Hulu Plus app for BlackBerry Playbook and BB10
    http://www.change.org/petitions/hulu...medium=twitter
    Pandora�: Bring App Support to the Blackberry 10 Platform:
    http://www.change.org/petitions/pand...medium=twitter
    12-07-12 03:39 PM
    It's also hard to describe to non-netflix members why it's a must have on a portable device. Before I had Netflix, I thought Netflix was a waste of money. Now that I have it, I'm like "holy **** I need this on everything" Luckily I have access on it from my Laptop and TV so it's not the end of the world. But having Netflix access on something super portable like the PB would be very convenient outside of the house.
    do you mean outside of the house and inside another wifi signal? otherwise I don't think there is any evidence that netflix would stream with bridged internet seamlessly.... or is there?
    12-08-12 10:46 AM
    Lol you clearly have no idea of what you're talking about.
    12-08-12 03:09 PM
    do you mean outside of the house and inside another wifi signal? otherwise I don't think there is any evidence that netflix would stream with bridged internet seamlessly.... or is there?
    I guess I might be an exception, I don't bridge too often. I live in a college town. There's wi-fi everywhere.
    12-08-12 08:58 PM
    Well I have no trouble using YouTube through Bridge so why not?
    12-08-12 09:13 PM
    I want these apps (Skype, NetFlix, Kindle) but because they don't have apps for my BB 9900, I have stopped using them. But I really want them. I am pretty sure I am not going to use Skype or NetFlix much (if at all) but I want them just-in-case. I used to use Kindle App a lot on my 9000 and 9700! And I even got Kindle App to work on BB 9900 (the same 9700 app works on 9900, just have to load it manually). But then, I I stopped using Kindle/Amazon altogether because they refuse to update their app for BB 9900! If the old (9700) app works on 9900 then it'd be trivial effort for Amazon developers to officially port it/support it on BB9900 but they don't! And so I also don't use/buy from them.
    You should then let Amazon know in writing that you have done so and the reason, else your protest is in vain. They could assume, for example, you past on.
    anon(3310921) likes this.
    12-09-12 04:38 PM
    I love netflix but not on my tablet.

I just don't understand why anyone would prefer to watch a movie or show on a 7 to 10 inch screen over a tv.

Because a 7" that is two feet away eclipses a 40" that is 50 ft away. Similar to how your thumbnail does the same for the sun.
    KermEd likes this.
    12-09-12 04:45 PM
    It is kinda funny how some people just can't understand how a popular app like Netflix would add to the marketability of the PB, even if they themselves might not want it.

I was in the gadget store a few days ago and just passed by the tablet area. Stopped to see how thebPB demo unit was doing. Actually it was in demo mode and was working fine. While doing this, a lady asked me if it had netflix and skype. It has neither. She lost interest right away and headed towards the row of Android tablets.

What makes this particularly galling is that my Panasonic bluray disk player for $129 has both skype and netflix. My $109 Samsung bluray disk player has Netflix. And my $89 WDTV media centre has netflix. How could BlackBerry so miss the market appeal of these apps that other companies seem to have no problem porting onto their devices??? Don't even start with "its not a media consumption device, it's a professional grade tablet".

I know I know these were decisions made by the previous management team. And they will be in BB10, right?
    Kudos on everything except the last bit- this mgmt team were already c-level and vps. This poor mgmt practice will continue, until at least the senior team comes from elsewhere.
    12-09-12 04:58 PM
    why cant i stream on my tablet connected to a TV? that doesnt sound like a nice thing to be able to do to you?
    Because most TVs, Blu Rays, and the PS3 have the netflix app you can stream. When I'm traveling, the last thing I'm worrying about is watching a movie I've probably seen 1,000 times that would be available on Netflix. Even in the U.S. market, the selection isn't that great. I mostly only use Netflix to watch documentaries.

Being able to use Amazon Prime on the PB has really made not having Netflix moot. It's not a deal breaker for me, and I think for 90% of others who cry about it only do so because other platforms have it.

Like I said though, most media devices already in people's homes already have it.
    12-09-12 07:28 PM
    I do find myself streaming netflix occasionally to my PB / dev alpha depending on the day. Mostly because my SO falls asleep an hour or two sooner than me.

But more often than not I'm just streaming local media from my PC (music videos, videos or shows). So if I couldn't stream Netflix I don't think I'd worry about it too much either.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    12-09-12 07:49 PM
47 12