For ages I could not understand the big deal of not having an app for Netflix. I enjoy Netflix, but don't find it a necessity on my tablet, certainly not a deal breaker type app.

Of course, I am in Canada. And I have certainly discovered just how crappy Canadian Netflix is, cause for the past few days, I have had the pleasure of streaming from the US Netflix site.

What a freaking difference between the two services. The American site must have at least 100 times the TV shows (and I am not kidding) and the same in the movies.

Now I understand why you guys want the Netflix app.
    jkomo001 likes this.
    12-05-12 07:54 PM
    I dont. I don't want to support those that don't support blackberry. but yes the masses of those that love netflix and use it regularly have spoken. hopefully soon so that new subscibers will see more value in blackberry and the playbook
    12-05-12 07:57 PM
    I dont. I don't want to support those that don't support blackberry. but yes the masses of those that love netflix and use it regularly have spoken. hopefully soon so that new subscibers will see more value in blackberry and the playbook
    I want these apps (Skype, NetFlix, Kindle) but because they don't have apps for my BB 9900, I have stopped using them. But I really want them. I am pretty sure I am not going to use Skype or NetFlix much (if at all) but I want them just-in-case. I used to use Kindle App a lot on my 9000 and 9700! And I even got Kindle App to work on BB 9900 (the same 9700 app works on 9900, just have to load it manually). But then, I I stopped using Kindle/Amazon altogether because they refuse to update their app for BB 9900! If the old (9700) app works on 9900 then it'd be trivial effort for Amazon developers to officially port it/support it on BB9900 but they don't! And so I also don't use/buy from them.
    Just Me likes this.
    12-05-12 08:10 PM
    kindle works fine on my PlayBook
    MoolahMitch likes this.
    12-05-12 08:40 PM
    I believe that the competition is trying to snuff out BlackBerry. I mean look at Google, up until today you could go to m.Google. Com and download maps -search -sync..etc but now you cannot. Lucky for me I downloaded maps the other day and I'm going to save the. Cod with bbsak.

Google didn't even give BlackBerry users a warning. Smh
    Just Me and PatrickMJS like this.
    12-05-12 08:51 PM
    I never understood the obsession with having a Netflix app, if you're paying for a subscription why not just download a copy of whatever you were planning on watching from another source? Same bandwidth and content makers are still getting paid!
    12-05-12 09:19 PM
    I believe that the competition is trying to snuff out BlackBerry. I mean look at Google, up until today you could go to m.Google. Com and download maps -search -sync..etc but now you cannot. Lucky for me I downloaded maps the other day and I'm going to save the. Cod with bbsak.

Google didn't even give BlackBerry users a warning. Smh
    lucky
    12-05-12 09:22 PM
    for those that want GMaps and Gsync

GMaps: http://db.tt/qy11LSgO

GSync: http://db.tt/FHhIreHr
    BB_Bmore and Morpheus like this.
    12-05-12 09:24 PM
    I never understood the obsession with having a Netflix app, if you're paying for a subscription why not just download a copy of whatever you were planning on watching from another source? Same bandwidth and content makers are still getting paid!
    because most "other sources" arent legal
    12-05-12 09:26 PM
    I love netflix but not on my tablet.

I just don't understand why anyone would prefer to watch a movie or show on a 7 to 10 inch screen over a tv.

12-05-12 09:57 PM

I just don't understand why anyone would prefer to watch a movie or show on a 7 to 10 inch screen over a tv.

why cant i stream on my tablet connected to a TV? that doesnt sound like a nice thing to be able to do to you?
    12-05-12 10:00 PM

Especially if you are travelling or just want to keep the kids amused.
    12-05-12 10:03 PM

... because, you know, we are all ALWAYS at home...

LOL.
    dragonx6, nnomad, Drew808 and 3 others like this.
    12-05-12 10:15 PM

For me, it would be for the function of using HDMI out. I have a PS3 in the living room and it would be great to load up Nexflix on my PlayBook and plug it into the bedroom TV or my sons room for example rather than dragging the PS3 in there or investing in another streaming device just for the "now and again" occurrences where I want it in another room.
    12-06-12 12:47 AM
    because most "other sources" arent legal
    You're allowed a copy of something you already own, if you own the right to stream a movie I doubt anyone would care if you downloaded it to watch from another source. Its a practical solution for those with Nexflix issues.
    12-06-12 09:07 AM
    You're allowed a copy of something you already own, if you own the right to stream a movie I doubt anyone would care if you downloaded it to watch from another source. Its a practical solution for those with Nexflix issues.
    I would find it unlikely that any of us own near 10% of the content on Netflix. The whole idea of streaming services is that you don't need to spend a lot of money buying or renting all these shows/movies. And if you own it, you have already seen it and who wants to spend their time watching the same stuff over and over again.
    Drew808 and PatrickMJS like this.
    12-06-12 09:21 AM
    So you're saying that if you own The Dark Knight Rises, it makes it ok to go to an "illegal site" and download from there? What would be the point in only downloading movies and shows you already own? That's NOT the point of those sites lol (and for the record, I happen to use those "sites" a lot, so i'm not trying to be hypocritical).

The whole point of Netflix is to be able to watch something you DON'T already own while you aren't in the comfort of your own home. Now, maybe this doesn't seem practical to those still living in their mom's basement..but for everyday working folk who travel and have lives outside of their house, Netflix is a huge bonus.
    PatrickMJS, Drew808 and reeneebob like this.
    12-06-12 09:49 AM
    It is kinda funny how some people just can't understand how a popular app like Netflix would add to the marketability of the PB, even if they themselves might not want it.

I was in the gadget store a few days ago and just passed by the tablet area. Stopped to see how thebPB demo unit was doing. Actually it was in demo mode and was working fine. While doing this, a lady asked me if it had netflix and skype. It has neither. She lost interest right away and headed towards the row of Android tablets.

What makes this particularly galling is that my Panasonic bluray disk player for $129 has both skype and netflix. My $109 Samsung bluray disk player has Netflix. And my $89 WDTV media centre has netflix. How could BlackBerry so miss the market appeal of these apps that other companies seem to have no problem porting onto their devices??? Don't even start with "its not a media consumption device, it's a professional grade tablet".

I know I know these were decisions made by the previous management team. And they will be in BB10, right?
    12-06-12 10:00 AM
    It is kinda funny how some people just can't understand how a popular app like Netflix would add to the marketability of the PB, even if they themselves might not want it.

I was in the gadget store a few days ago and just passed by the tablet area. Stopped to see how thebPB demo unit was doing. Actually it was in demo mode and was working fine. While doing this, a lady asked me if it had netflix and skype. It has neither. She lost interest right away and headed towards the row of Android tablets.

What makes this particularly galling is that my Panasonic bluray disk player for $129 has both skype and netflix. My $109 Samsung bluray disk player has Netflix. And my $89 WDTV media centre has netflix. How could BlackBerry so miss the market appeal of these apps that other companies seem to have no problem porting onto their devices??? Don't even start with "its not a media consumption device, it's a professional grade tablet".

I know I know these were decisions made by the previous management team. And they will be in BB10, right?
    I know this has been beaten to death and I'm not flaming you for your rant because I totally do agree. I bought this little streaming RCA box. Think of it as a cheap Roku box that is more limited. It does Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, and more. $30

Why is it so costly to bring this content to the PlayBook?
    Attached Thumbnails I Think I Now Understand The Netflix Thing-image.jpg  
    Last edited by axllebeer; 12-06-12 at 10:48 AM.
    sputneek, kbz1960 and PatrickMJS like this.
    12-06-12 10:33 AM
    So you're saying that if you own The Dark Knight Rises, it makes it ok to go to an "illegal site" and download from there? What would be the point in only downloading movies and shows you already own? That's NOT the point of those sites lol (and for the record, I happen to use those "sites" a lot, so i'm not trying to be hypocritical).

The whole point of Netflix is to be able to watch something you DON'T already own while you aren't in the comfort of your own home. Now, maybe this doesn't seem practical to those still living in their mom's basement..but for everyday working folk who travel and have lives outside of their house, Netflix is a huge bonus.
    An easier way to put it is that Netflix has replaced video rental for most of us.

People can do whatever they want, but I personally like to try see that artists are getting SOME money for their work. I prefer to use legal means. The $8 a month I am paying for Netflix is not a big deal. If I watch one season of at TV show, I have paid for it twice over. I don't have cable TV, and I enjoy having Netflix. And, I would like to see it on my Playbook.
    Last edited by torndownunit; 12-06-12 at 11:11 AM.
    12-06-12 10:55 AM
    An easier way to put it is that Netflix has replaced video rental for most of us.

People can do whatever they want, but I personally like to try see that artists are getting SOME money for their work. I prefer to use legal means. The $8 a month I am paying for Netflix is not a big deal. If I watch one season of at TV, I have paid for it twice over.
    Exactly, and the nice thing with Netflix is, anyone can use your account (not at the same time though). Because I'm not always on it, i've given my login info to my buddy, who uses it whenever he wants, and repays me in beers. It's a win win for us both
    12-06-12 11:25 AM

Well, here in the UK you're legally allowed a backup copy of everything you own, regardless of it's source or format.
    If you have a netflix subscription you own the right to watch the film anyway... That was my point, you're already paying for Netflix, you've purchased the right to watch said film/TV series so what's so morally wrong in streaming it from another provider if you're already paying for the content through a netflix subscription? I, like a lot of other hard working Londoners have no choice but to use hybrid methods. Streaming on the tube is intermittent at best [here in NW London anyway] and we have no internet connectivity as soon as we hit Central London. I totally understand why Netflix is a bonus for those with accounts, but I don't see why people make such a big fuss about it when there are other alternatives...
    gokulesh likes this.
    12-06-12 11:40 AM
    Well, here in the UK you're legally allowed a backup copy of everything you own, regardless of it's source or format.
    If you have a netflix subscription you own the right to watch the film anyway... That was my point, you're already paying for Netflix, you've purchased the right to watch said film/TV series so what's so morally wrong in streaming it from another provider if you're already paying for the content through a netflix subscription? I, like a lot of other hard working Londoners have no choice but to use hybrid methods. Streaming on the tube is intermittent at best [here in NW London anyway] and we have no internet connectivity as soon as we hit Central London. I totally understand why Netflix is a bonus for those with accounts, but I don't see why people make such a big fuss about it when there are other alternatives...
    Ok, well expanding on that point, what other content providers are as reliable as Netflix, and have apps that work on Playbook? I know every way out there to get illegal content if I really wanted. Netflix works fantastic for me on my devices though, and I don't have to worry whether it's a legal service or not. I don't know of another service that runs as well on Playbook as Netflix does on my iOS device for example. It's not that hard to see why people would like to have that on their Playbooks.

Also, before anyone jumps on my use of 'apps' and points out that you can run whatever you want in the browser, some media apps I use like Songza run horrifically in the browser (the sideloaded app works great though). The browser is just not a substitute for apps yet in a lot of cases (fingers crossed for what BB10 does with it). So at this point, yes I would like an app.

P.s. Most people already know I'm sure, but Crackle runs quite well in the browser. It's got a fraction of the content of Netflix, but at least it's something.
    Last edited by torndownunit; 12-06-12 at 12:16 PM.
    12-06-12 11:57 AM
    Ok, well expanding on that point, what other content providers are as reliable as Netflix, and have apps that work on Playbook? I know every way out there to get illegal content if I really wanted. Netflix works fantastic for me on my devices though, and I don't have to worry whether it's a legal service or not.
    Well legal/illegal varies from country to country, here in the UK with TV shows for example you can access them pretty much however you like as long as it's for personal use. I use BBC Iplayer a lot, but sometimes streaming on the go is too choppy so I either download it via the desktop and transfer it to watch on the go or if it's unavailable I can usually find it through torrents [Which is perfectly legal]. My University provides us with access to a service called Box of Broadcasts, which is like a PVR archive and that works amazingly on my playbook, even through a tethered connection.
    12-06-12 12:57 PM
    I feel this way about skype...
    JR0898 likes this.
    12-06-12 01:09 PM
47 12