Ok so I bought my playbook 2nd hand, so I'm stuck with it, and I have sooo many problems, I'm wondering if it is a lemon for sure:
    1. Everything crashes constantly, this is the norm. For example, I open the browser (or facebook, whatever), the screen flashes and then closes. This happens 80% of the time.
    2. Videos? What videos? Youtube videos never load, either on the browser or youtube app itself. Same goes for any other videos from other sources on the web.
    3. Video app also works very rarely.
    4. Camera? It's like hitting the jackpot the rare time it decides to open. Most times it says camera is already in use, and refuses to work.

I've got the latest update, I have done a total factory reset, so I have minimum apps installed (actually, I haven't installed anything since the reset, only what came with the playbook), I have 0 pictures and documents in it. One thing I tried in the past, was clearing was history/cookies/cache, etc on the browser, everytime I tried to use it, that seemed to help for a short time, but before long things get messed up again. The hard reset (holding power button, then + - volume keys) don't work, all I get is a black screen, it never goes to a re-start, sometimes it gives me the "stand by, re-start, turn off" screen, but thats not how to do a hard reset, right?
    I am someone who tries to love and use everything I purchase, but this has been a challenge. Any thoughts? Thanks
    01-22-13 11:34 AM
    If you don't have anything important on it, do a security wipe, then a debrick. This should clear everything up. If it doesn't you have a hardware problem, but it sounds like you have software problems.

You will need a computer and the Blackberry desktop software to do the debrick.

If you are not in Canada or the USA or the PlayBook came from a country you are no longer in, you will loose any Apps or content not licensed for the country you are in when the Playbook finishes the security wipe.
    Cassia D and kbz1960 like this.
    01-22-13 11:57 AM
    The hard reset (holding power button, then + - volume keys) don't work, all I get is a black screen, it never goes to a re-start, sometimes it gives me the "stand by, re-start, turn off" screen, but thats not how to do a hard reset, right?
    Hold the power and volume + You will see the screen come up with the three options. Continue to hold until the screen goes blank. Once it goes blank release and it should restart on its own.
    Cassia D likes this.
    01-22-13 12:45 PM
    Quick version of the debrick procedure:
    Connect the PB to desktop manager via the USB cable
    Tap the battery icon and choose restart
    At some point during the shut down/restart you will see a popup with the option to "update"
    Click update

This will completly wipe and reinstall the OS. All data will be lost.
    Cassia D likes this.
    01-22-13 12:50 PM
    Ok, I had better luck with the hard reset as per your instructions, however, the problems still persist. Are there any links on the site on how to do the unbricking with the blackberry desktop software, much appreciated.
    01-22-13 12:57 PM
    Ok will try and give an update later on, I have nothing to lose at this point. Thanks!
    01-22-13 01:06 PM
    Keep us posted. You definitely found the best site to help you through.
    Cassia D likes this.
    01-22-13 01:26 PM
    Here's another take on Debrick

Try the Debrick method....

Perform a backup of your pb if you can using Desktop Manager or, at least, manually coping any unique data, photos, voice recordings, documents, etc.

1) Turn your playbook OFF by holding down the power button
    2) Let your playbook sit for about 10 minutes as earlier suggested.
    3) After letting the PB sit (and still powered off) open up the Blackberry Desktop Software (the latest version)
    4) Once the Blackberry Desktop Software is opened, use the USB Cable and hook the PB to the PC.. THEN power on the Playbook
    5) A screen will show on your computer showing that the device cannot be found
    6) Click on Update. It will take awhile
    Cassia D likes this.
    01-22-13 03:17 PM
    So, I'm back, I followed your suggestions, I installed the Blackberry Software on my pc, then I did the update, it went through the process (by the way, I had done the security wipe from within the blackberry menu, it seemed like it did the same thing as the update through the Blackberry Software). Anyways, updated to 2.1.0.1314 (which I was updated to before all this). Turned it on, went on youtube, it played one video, yay! Then went on the browser, gasp, it crashed twice before I was able to open the page I wanted; ok, then it actually started playing a video from a website, but it froze after 5 min. Went back on youtube, tried another video, played for about 5 minutes, froze, now it won't open any videos anymore, from any websites or youtube. Camera says error.4003.
    So sad
    malgpz900 likes this.
    01-22-13 05:14 PM
    I would contact RIM customer service, they were very helpful when I had trouble getting my son's PlayBook going for the first time.

Do you know the person you bought it from...im just wondering if it got dropped or damaged. Hoping you get it working because it's an awesome
    Little machine
    Cassia D likes this.
    01-22-13 06:23 PM
    Never thought about contacting RIM because it is not under warranty anymore (I bought it used last April, and the person said it was about one year old then). The unit was pristine when I bought it, and I'm assuming the guy who sold me is honest (found out later he's a cop). I have to say it never worked right, kind of just passable when I first got it and was trying to love it, but it soon became clear that it is a little black box of disappointment.
    carlyincanada likes this.
    01-22-13 06:39 PM
    What you're experiencing is definitely not normal. The camera error I believe is a hardware fault. Maybe that is where all your problems are coming from.
    It's worth a call to RIM. They can tell you if it's been registered before. Typing the serial into the website will likely say you're not eligible. This most be a known issue because it seems RIM is fixing PB's out of warranty. Call them and see what they say. Good luck.
    carlyincanada and Cassia D like this.
    01-22-13 07:22 PM
    Rim has not been totally strict even with a second owner but then some original owners have run into problems with them. So, fingers-crossed - call

The PB has a one year warranty to the original purchaser. It also has 90 free Tech support. I do not know how Rim deals with "quasi-tech support v. warranty"

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: [email protected] (this route generally does not work and a call is necessary)

(UK Support) 0800 096 2805

Playbook French Support
    Smartphones BlackBerry & Tablette Tactile - Mod�les de BlackBerry FR - France
    Phone : 0800 914 533 (within 90 days from activation)
    carlyincanada and Cassia D like this.
    01-22-13 07:50 PM
    Definitely call them....maybe there was a bad batch. Certainly worth a try and they can likely tell from the serial number. Please update us when you find out what it is...best of luck!
    Cassia D likes this.
    01-22-13 09:09 PM
    Sounds like hardware to me. If that was a PC and you'd done all that sort of remediation - wipe and OS reinstallation (assuming you could eliminate virus / malware as being the cause) the next thing you'd start to do would be testing the hardware.

If it is out of warranty, do RIM do official repairs of devices (paid for) - if so, wonder if that's cost-effective?
    Cassia D likes this.
    01-23-13 04:08 AM
    I"m going to call them sometime today. Just working up the nerve, not sure about the best way to introduce the fact that I'm out of warranty and am hoping for some help free of charge (at this point I don't want to put money into it, I have seen new ones go for under 100).
    01-23-13 10:12 AM
    WOW... Here's how the phone call went..... RIM guy was very pleasant, right away extended the 90 day warranty (even though this thing is way out of warranty), then actually listened to my list of problems, which I closed by asking if there are any known recalls for the playbook, he couldn't answer that, and asked whether I had done the software restore (through the Blackberry desktop app, which I had). He said it sounded like a hardware problem, and I'm getting a box in the mail to send it back for repairs, I can't believe it! First of all, I wouldn't have thought of calling them if it weren't for the people that responded to my post suggestions, so thank you all for that. This makes my day, heck, my month, faith in humanity is restored, I'm getting used to hearing "no" a lot, so this was refreshing! Thanks again.
    01-23-13 11:16 AM
    Glad they are helping you out. Shipping is next day with fedex so expect the box tomorrow.
    I had to call them a while back and they couldn't have been more accommodating.

I suspect the original ownwer never registered the PB.
    01-23-13 11:25 AM
    Thanks for keeping the thread updated and the information RIM gave you. Glad you had a "GOOD" experience with customer service. Keep us posted. This information will definitely help others in the future.....Thanks again OP
    01-23-13 11:31 AM
    I've never had to deal with RIM at that level so this is especially great news. Thanks for keeping us updated Cassia, I hope they resolve the issue for you.
    01-23-13 12:08 PM
    Great news Cassia. My RMA experience with RIM was excellent and I expect yours will be as well. Soon you will be able to edit the title of this thread to .... RIM fixed my second hand lemon
    01-23-13 12:39 PM
    WOW... Here's how the phone call went..... RIM guy was very pleasant, right away extended the 90 day warranty (even though this thing is way out of warranty), then actually listened to my list of problems, which I closed by asking if there are any known recalls for the playbook, he couldn't answer that, and asked whether I had done the software restore (through the Blackberry desktop app, which I had). He said it sounded like a hardware problem, and I'm getting a box in the mail to send it back for repairs, I can't believe it! First of all, I wouldn't have thought of calling them if it weren't for the people that responded to my post suggestions, so thank you all for that. This makes my day, heck, my month, faith in humanity is restored, I'm getting used to hearing "no" a lot, so this was refreshing! Thanks again.
    When you've got it back, and it's hopefully working OK - could you update the thread?
    01-24-13 08:43 AM
    I hope this time, you'll get "blackberry" not another "lemon"... :-)
    David in Durham likes this.
    01-24-13 09:05 AM
    I will let you all know for sure how things go, should get the box to send the unit back tomorrow.
    RJB55 likes this.
    01-24-13 10:06 AM
    Sorry it took so long, but there were complications along the way... So I received the prepaid Fedex envelope/box to send the faulty unit back, and waited a few days in great anticipation for Blackberry's verdict. I ended up receiving a replacement unit in a very timely manner. However, I noticed that something was wrong with the new unit immediately... the screen orientation was stuck on "portrait", it acted normal for about a second when the unit was first turned on, but it would turn itself to portrait on its own (even if the unit was held horizontally), and no, orientation lock was not activated. Ok, so I had to phone Blackberry again and they opened a new ticket for me, this time they sent me a replacement unit right away (before I sent the faulty one back), I had to give them a credit card # so they would put a hold for the amount of the Playbook until they receive the faulty unit back. And the new Playbook seems to work great, I've only used it for about one hour, but so far videos load great, nothing freezes or crashes.
    All I can say is they were awesome, treated me very kindly and gave me first rate customer support. I am going to brag them to everyone I know, way to go Blackberry!
    Wongsky, CdaS and castoridae like this.
    02-08-13 07:26 PM
26 12