And I don't mean mine.

I went in for my daily checkup on the demo unit to see if it was still running. - no it wasn't, it was in standby with no demo running - black screen. So I woke it up and started messing with it, wasn't long before a customer saw me and started asking questions, since the sales people were clueless. He was considering the HTC flyer Tab, but really wanted the playbook but nobody could help him with it..

I told him I had bought one and loved it, I started feeling like a salesperson - told him about crackberry and all the help and stuff that can be obtained here, how the OS has improved dramatically since release, this feature, that feature, the leaked android player etc etc the development environment QNX the security, the bridge feature, he asked about the speakers... showed him how to bezel swipe (something that is always impressive that we take for granted) .. showed him app world, downloaded the piano app, as he was a musician, soon other customers were gathering around, we downloaded an HD movie compared the display to the HTC and the brighter whiteness of the whites, the blackness of the blacks the overall crispness and sharpness...the "FUNness" of the UI....a customer walking by asked about skype - all the questions people ask in this forum ( to which I referred them)

Soon other customers were gathering around and even salespeople were listening in.. trying to act smart but not knowing much. Bottom line the guy walked out the door with a 16g and very happy about it, and.. I made a new friend..

I am thinking Best Buy needs to pay me, or crackberry Even considering a training session for the salespeople, but do I have time for this?

"Just doing the jobs the salespeople refuse to do..."

If you love your playbook and want to help assure it's success and see more apps and resources, do this -

Be sure the charger connector is plugged in and showing in the lightning bolt in the battery icon, put it in demo mode and showcase mode, check the OS versions (1.0.6 should be good enough,if it is not up to date kindly ask the manager if it can be updated - generally the store wifi is not good enough to do this, but it doesn't hurt to try (well maybe it would)...

Try to keep the thing in landscape orientation, as if it times out in portrait the demo will look compressed and whack.

Download a few cool apps (like the free "piano" app) and keep them open with a video running in the background in showcase mode ( always impressive) ...

If you all want more apps and more support for your playbook - try to drop by and give these guys a hand, because if you don't, people will just be fiddling with the other tabs , and won't even give that dead playbook a chance....

So if you happen to have time on your hands - just hang out there and play with it - soon people will be looking over your shoulder who had been playing with other pads...asking questions...its easy enough to smile and toss a casual comment to them - "wow this is amazing" or something - the other tabs will be abandoned quickly. They will always bring up the issue of droid apps which can be quickly countered with the leaked android player and reference to crackberry to see which ones have been tested...

A question....

Why does app world occasionally have trouble connecting to the server even with good wifi signal? What does this mean?
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 07-24-11 at 04:35 PM.
    07-24-11 03:55 PM
    This thread has the link. I'm going to dl it too just so i have it.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...d-link-630258/
    07-24-11 04:15 PM
    Thank you much.
    AbsoluteT23 likes this.
    07-24-11 04:19 PM
    Everytime I go to Best Buy I start the HiDef demo video, loop it and crank up the sound. It draws a lot of attention.
    sk8er_tor likes this.
    07-24-11 04:43 PM
    Everytime I go to Best Buy I start the HiDef demo video, loop it and crank up the sound. It draws a lot of attention.
    Thanks - keep it up... the unit I found, someone had deleted the demo video - perhaps on purpose? lol
    07-24-11 05:03 PM
    You can also download the "RIM Retail Video demo" in AppWorld which installs a good demo video. If you leave that running, it's like an advertisement of all of the main features.
    07-24-11 05:49 PM
    Thanks - keep it up... the unit I found, someone had deleted the demo video - perhaps on purpose? lol
    Why is it even possible to "delete" a demo video? RIM is known worldwide for its security. . . are you saying they can't secure demo units enough to prevent accidental or intentional deletion?
    Last edited by Economist101; 07-24-11 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Word change
    K Bear likes this.
    07-24-11 06:01 PM
    You can also download the "RIM Retail Video demo" in AppWorld which installs a good demo video. If you leave that running, it's like an advertisement of all of the main features.
    Thanks - that seems like an easier option...I forgot about that.
    07-24-11 06:36 PM
    Why is it even possible to "delete" a demo video? RIM is known worldwide for its security. . . are you saying they can't secure demo units enough to prevent accidental or intentional selection?
    Appears to be the case - RIM really dropped the ball on the retail marketing in a lot of ways, almost like it was an afterthought, perhaps thinking (is that an oxymoron? RIM and think?) that they would appeal more to the enterprise market or online sales....

Which..unfortunately is why they need our help Not for their sake, but for ours.
    07-24-11 06:38 PM
    Haha that`s a gd idea when I head to the cities I will make sure to checkout Best Buy and Staples to see that the PlyBook is actually set up!
    07-24-11 06:41 PM
    I was curious about the demo mode I havent ever seen, but when I try to run it, my playbook asks for a retailers code. Anyone know of one?
    07-24-11 09:16 PM
    I was curious about the demo mode I havent ever seen, but when I try to run it, my playbook asks for a retailers code. Anyone know of one?
    Its instoredemo

Enjoy

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-24-11 09:41 PM
    Never seen that one before - are you sure they didn't sell you the demo unit?
    07-24-11 10:15 PM
    Appears to be the case - RIM really dropped the ball on the retail marketing in a lot of ways, almost like it was an afterthought, perhaps thinking (is that an oxymoron? RIM and think?) that they would appeal more to the enterprise market or online sales....

Which..unfortunately is why they need our help Not for their sake, but for ours.

RIM admitted they had never done direct to retail before this was their first attempt

Though I agree a poor one, for a first attempt at least they didn't send all Dummy Units out like they do with many of the phones.

It is nice they let you delete the Demo Video!! that is a step up since you couldn't delete demo music off of previous blackberry's easily,
    07-24-11 10:24 PM
    I was at Staples yesterday and was quite impressed with the setup. The Playbook was fully charged, had firmware upgraded, and hooked up to the monitor to show the HDMI connectivity.
    AutoPilot2020 likes this.
    07-24-11 10:28 PM
    Why is it even possible to "delete" a demo video? RIM is known worldwide for its security. . . are you saying they can't secure demo units enough to prevent accidental or intentional deletion?
    Yeah but im pretty sure you'd be complaining if RIM wouldn't allow us to delete it. Its funny how people always find a way to put a negative spin on a harmless topic, and always put RIM down. Can't please everyone, some people just prefer to have the space for other movies, apps , music and whatnot, not just demos. But it would be nice to have the option for demo purpose in stores to not be allowed or able to delete the video file. But if they do that they might put other restrictions on too as in which apps you can install and what not. lol
    Last edited by dave_2611; 07-24-11 at 11:16 PM.
    sk8er_tor likes this.
    07-24-11 11:11 PM
    Bestbuy / Futureshop needs a Crackberry Squad like how the geeksquad, The Crackberry Squad could be at the customers disposal to help with ever there various needs. They would actually know how to operate and use the various devices and also the common problems / Fixes /Workarounds. Lol i think that be pretty sweet.
    07-24-11 11:14 PM
    I went in to my local Futureshop / Best Buy and to my suprise found that both places had the playbook displayed and was had the updated o/s installed. Future shop had two playbooks, both were working and had the updates installed. Maybe RIM is starting to focus more on the retailers displaying their product. Making them actually make the playbook more presentable and appealing to the customers
    07-24-11 11:22 PM
    Yeah but im pretty sure you'd be complaining if RIM wouldn't allow us to delete it. Its funny how people always find a way to put a negative spin on a harmless topic, and always put RIM down.
    Not "people", just certain ones that have a rep for doing that consistently.. Glad I'm not them ... sounds like a miserable existence...they are miserable and want everyone else to be also. As they say - misery likes company.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 07-24-11 at 11:47 PM.
    sk8er_tor likes this.
    07-24-11 11:44 PM
    I went in to my local Futureshop / Best Buy and to my suprise found that both places had the playbook displayed and was had the updated o/s installed. Future shop had two playbooks, both were working and had the updates installed. Maybe RIM is starting to focus more on the retailers displaying their product. Making them actually make the playbook more presentable and appealing to the customers
    Or maybe the Crackberry Nation is doing it's job - the more interest they see in PlayBook the more the sales people will pay attention.. keep up the good work everyone..enthusiasm DOES make a difference. Look what it did for apple and droids...

I've already noticed an attitude change among the salespeople at my local stores...when they see that there is an interest in this thing - and that it actually works! ...they start to treat it with more respect.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 07-25-11 at 12:10 AM.
    07-24-11 11:46 PM
    I was at Staples yesterday and was quite impressed with the setup. The Playbook was fully charged, had firmware upgraded, and hooked up to the monitor to show the HDMI connectivity.
    Awesome - as it should be - hard to believe, but awesome - the tide is turning.
    07-25-11 12:13 AM
    I preordered/purchased mine from Staples using my StaplesLink account. About a week after i got it, I got a call from a StaplesLink rep asking me a ton of questions. He asked me if I was had any questions or issues they could help me with, why I chose the PlayBook over the other tablets, etc. He also asked what my favorite features were and why, and how I used the PlayBook in my business. He wasn't aware of a couple of the features I mentioned and was surprised at how I was using it with my clients - asking even more questions about those uses.

I was impressed - it seemed to me at the time that Staples might actually be invested in the success of the PlayBook, because they have never in the past called me about any other item I've purchased from them. From your comment, I may have been right... after all, does Best Buy give a follow-up call?

I knew I liked Staples for a reason! ; )
    07-25-11 07:16 AM

I went in for my daily checkup on the demo unit to see if it was still running.
    LOL, are you serious?
    07-25-11 10:07 AM
    Yeah but im pretty sure you'd be complaining if RIM wouldn't allow us to delete it. Its funny how people always find a way to put a negative spin on a harmless topic, and always put RIM down. Can't please everyone, some people just prefer to have the space for other movies, apps , music and whatnot, not just demos. But it would be nice to have the option for demo purpose in stores to not be allowed or able to delete the video file. But if they do that they might put other restrictions on too as in which apps you can install and what not. lol
    I've never once complained about an inability to remove anything from a device installed by the device manufacturer. Not a single time. My point is simply that RIM has a security-centric reputation, and for good reason. As a result, it doesn't make sense to me that they chose to release demo units that could be easily altered in this way. It's not about pleasing everyone; it's about making sure that when a customer uses a demo unit they receive the best possible experience. If this went over your head, I really don't know what to say.
    07-25-11 10:10 AM
    I have been updating the one at my local Staples, I was in Walmart and noticed that they had a Playbook so I went over to see if it was update and I couldn't get past the setup screen because they don't have a wifi connection. How in the world are you to get the full effect and be able to test the device with no wifi. Maybe u can get past the set up screen without being connected to wifi but I couldn't, I even rebooted it to see if that would work but no luck.

07-25-11 02:45 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD