I've had my new 32-GB PB for a couple of weeks now. Like many of you, I've started sleeping with it, along with my Torch. It is a gorgeous device. HOWEVER, as many others have complained here on CB, I'm extremely disappointed in the GPS abilities. Normally, it takes 10-20 minutes to pick up a signal. This morning I went out to my backyard (open sky, etc.) and it NEVER picked up a GPS signal. Then I pulled out my Torch and fired up BB Traffic. It picked up a signal immediately. Now, I know the PB uses just basic GPS technology and the Torch uses aGPS. My question is, then, why can't BB Bridge be expanded to share lat/long data between the phone and the PB? Then the navigational apps on the PB could use that data. Unfeasible?

I bought the PB primarily hoping for a good tablet with navigational capabilities. Well, I've ended up with a great tablet with sub-par nav capabilities.
    12-02-12 11:48 AM
    Have you tried what's up, it can usually get a lock quickly then use other apps such as magellan compass. Also are you turning off the playbook? Onceit gets a lock first time it should be quick from then on, as long as you use gps every few days so it doesn't lose track of approximately where it is.
    12-02-12 11:53 AM
    Thank you, djenkins6. I haven't tried whatsup, but I have tried OsmAnd and gpstest, neither of which could pick up a signal this morning. I had read the tip about not turning the PB off, so I have left it on. Very frustrating.

Would one of the 'off-board' of GPS devices work with a PB if you used a USB converter?
    12-02-12 12:35 PM
    I find this works for me:

Startup VCMS first, and while it's running startup Osmand. Run both apps simultaneously and I find it speeds up the GPS coordinating.
    12-02-12 01:20 PM
    Works great outdoors for me, locks onto GPS in seconds. I use Google maps and TelMap, both work perfectly. Though like you, others do have the same problem!
    12-02-12 01:22 PM
    Well, I tried the GPS once more from the same spot as before. It's a lovely, fall evening, with a clear sky...

The GPS took about 10 seconds to connect. What's the difference? The only two I can think of were (1) the time of day and (2) the sky.

I can't imagine the time of day had anything to do with it. The clear sky? Earlier in the day it was slightly overcast with wispy clouds. Tonight is clear. Is the PB GPS *that* sensitive??
    12-02-12 08:14 PM