I guess this may be a already discussed topic on this forum but I still want to know if is even possible or if is even somehow my playbook hardware or software be silverlight compatible at some point down the line (whit a software update ) I'm not really a tech savy guy, but I would like to know if I could get flash and silverlight on playbook... Just like windows 8 surface has, which is in my opinion all we need to be a step closer to our playbook be laptops or portable full PC 'S... I would love to be able to watch everything I'm able to see on a PC on my playbook, we got the flash part but no even a word about silverlight. I'm sorry if I sound repeating the same, I know maybe a few get what I'm saying, thanks in advance
    10-31-12 04:30 PM
    I guess this may be a already discussed topic on this forum but I still want to know if is even possible or if is even somehow my playbook hardware or software be silverlight compatible at some point down the line (whit a software update ) I'm not really a tech savy guy, but I would like to know if I could get flash and silverlight on playbook... Just like windows 8 surface has, which is in my opinion all we need to be a step closer to our playbook be laptops or portable full PC 'S... I would love to be able to watch everything I'm able to see on a PC on my playbook, we got the flash part but no even a word about silverlight. I'm sorry if I sound repeating the same, I know maybe a few get what I'm saying, thanks in advance
    10-31-12 04:31 PM
    My bad for post the same again... By the way, my English isn't that good, I still learning at this time, thanks
    10-31-12 04:33 PM
    Possible, yes. Likely, no.
    10-31-12 04:52 PM
    Silverlight is like flash. Real nice to have right now for awhile yet but it is going away.
    10-31-12 05:49 PM
    How you're so sure? Is good to have everything regardless of the future of silverlight, but somehow I doubt silverlight just desapearing completely from browsers
    10-31-12 07:43 PM
    Eventually sites will have to stop using it, if it isn't updated and security holes are found and used that's risks the security of the user. Think about gong to Netflix and if there is a vulnerability people will stop using Netflix so that they won't get viruses, trojans or have hackers get their personal info. Netflix won't allow that to happen, they would use a different method to stream the video if that were the case, which one day it will be. Same reason sites don't use old versions of flash, you always get told to upgrade to the. Newest if your out of date
    10-31-12 08:06 PM
    Nice trolling, The bridge you require is down the road and off to the left.
    10-31-12 09:39 PM
    That's the problem. I'm still getting Flash updates for my laptop. So they haven't abandoned Flash altogether. If Adobe did that, I would agree that Flash lifespan is short. But it is just mobile flash (e.g. android) that is discontinued. So it will be around for a while. Or until the desktop/laptop market goes to zero. Sure, the substitute is HTML5 but apparently there are still some things better done with flash. The mobile web experience will always be crippled to some extent as a result.
    I agree with OP. Not being a programmer, what is the barrier? Licensing from MS? If it is a dead technology, why doesn't Netflix redesign it's website?
    11-01-12 01:46 PM
    There is an open-source version of the silverlight plugin available called Moonlight, being open source and targeted at UNIX platforms there is the possibility of this code being ported to work on the PlayBook. The problem, however, is DRM, this is the 'protection' part of Silverlight that is under Microsoft's scope and hence not available in the open source Moonlight code. Netflix uses the DRM, hence there is the barrier.

Hope this helps!

Russ.
    chaosdivine likes this.
    11-02-12 01:48 PM