Recently, I've been using the lock function on my playbook instead of standby. I lock the playbook with a password. But a couple of times after locking the playbook and then using it again after a couple of hours, when I swipe it, it says password try 6 out of 10. Please enter blackberry to continue. This happened to me twice already in the past week. Now, I have read on the forum that after 10 unsuccessful tries, YOU HAVE TO SWIPE the playbook. I don't know why this happens. I don't even touch the playbook after locking it.
    01-08-13 09:41 AM
    Generally when this happens, something is bumping against the screen (cover maybe? or general bumping in a purse/pocket/bag?) and the screen is registering it as an attempt to unlock the Playbook. After five tries, the device asks you to input "blackberry" as a stopgap measure to allow you to see what you are inputting so that you are not inadvertently entering capital letters, incorrect numbers. etc. It then allows you to try again to input your password. If it reaches 10 incorrect entries, it will automatically wipe your device as a security measure, figuring that whoever is trying to unlock it is unauthorized because they don't know the password.
    FF22 and Ben1232 like this.
    01-08-13 09:58 AM
    Not picking on you but I keep seeing people saying Swipe to mean reset the playbook to factory, a swipe is a gesture.

To reset to factory it's Wipe not Swipe
    01-08-13 10:09 AM
    It was actually just lying on the table. I do have it inside a ballistic case: Amazon.com: Ballistic SA0597-M005 Tough Jacket Built for Blackberry - Black Silicone/Black TPU/Red PC with Stand - 1 Pack - Carrying Case - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

Even if I put it in charging I still shut off the screen afterwards.
    Generally when this happens, something is bumping against the screen (cover maybe? or general bumping in a purse/pocket/bag?) and the screen is registering it as an attempt to unlock the Playbook. After five tries, the device asks you to input "blackberry" as a stopgap measure to allow you to see what you are inputting so that you are not inadvertently entering capital letters, incorrect numbers. etc. It then allows you to try again to input your password. If it reaches 10 incorrect entries, it will automatically wipe your device as a security measure, figuring that whoever is trying to unlock it is unauthorized because they don't know the password.
    01-08-13 10:30 AM
    Not picking on you but I keep seeing people saying Swipe to mean reset the playbook to factory, a swipe is a gesture.

To reset to factory it's Wipe not Swipe
    Yeah, I actually know the difference but got it mixed up when posting this.
    01-08-13 10:30 AM
    Some people have reported their playbook going crazy starting up apps etc on its own when near electrical sources causing interference. It could be also be a faulty/cheap power supply, or an ungrounded electrical outlet. Try some experimentation, charging somewhere else or away from something like speakers or anywhere ng else with magnets/transformers in it.
    01-08-13 10:40 AM
    Mine doesn't "go crazy" but if it's laying in front of my Plasma TV there is no way I can type in a password correctly. If I touch they keyboard once it enters 2-3 characters.
    01-08-13 01:56 PM