I'm kinda fed up with the bugs in this software. The browser crashes, the "android emulator" sucks and constantly freezes on me, they need strong 3rd party support without borrowing apps from another OS. And also the lack of necessary and functional apps on the appworld is frustrating. So I wrote them a very unnecessary email, but it felt good.

So, word on the forums is that you (directed at RIM) ditched the Skype application to please possible carriers of the very capable device, known as the BlackBerry PlayBook. Confusingly enough, isn't it consumers that are needed to please? I, a consumer of RIM products, own a BlackBerry PlayBook, and Aside from the many bugs in the beta-like OS2.0.0.7971 software, it is a device with much potential. As an avid BlackBerry user, I expected a functional device, but was thoroughly let down. I would just like an honest explanation for the hold up of these amazing and very necessary applications, such as Netflix, Skype, or even Oovoo, and an explanation for the very poor quality of the best feature of this device, the web browser. So answer to your consumers RIM, or your profits, stock, and revenue will continually fall and your employees such as the one reading this email, will need to find a new career to pursue.

-Iatedeadpeople
    04-01-12 10:34 PM
    did you sign your email with the name "iatedeadpeople"? I can promise you that small details like that can take a lot away from the seriousness that you intended your email to have.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5
    diegonei likes this.
    04-01-12 10:40 PM
    Let me know how that works out for ya...

On a semi serious note, you are much better off killing them with kindness. Next time try "help me understand..." instead.
    Perogy01 likes this.
    04-01-12 10:44 PM
    did you sign your email with the name "iatedeadpeople"? I can promise you that small details like that can take a lot away from the seriousness that you intended your email to have.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5
    Indeed I did, tis my email address. And in all honesty, it wasn't intended to be a sophisticated business-like email. If it were, I wouldn't have started with "so"
    04-01-12 10:45 PM
    I, for one, am getting tired of all the crybabies on this forum. Let me ask you a question- how much did you pay for your playbook? Did you pay $200 for a 16 gig model (or $250 or $300 for the higher capacity models). If so, then what tablet could you have gotten for the same money that would have given you more bang for the buck? I don't have a problem with the browser crashing, and though the android player occasionally freezes on me, it's no big deal (it usually freezes on sideloaded apps only, so I don't have a lot of room to complain here). I could care less about netflix or skype. The playbook does most of what I want it to do and was significantly cheaper than most of the competition. Now, if you bought your PB at the original list prices, then I apologize. If not, stop whining.
    Last edited by pacoman03; 04-01-12 at 11:15 PM.
    04-01-12 11:08 PM
    I, for one, am getting tired of all the crybabies on this forum. Let me ask you a question, how much did you pay for your playbook. Did you pay $200 for a 16 gig model (or $250 or $300 for the higher capacity models). If so, then what tablet could you have gotten for the same money that would have given you more bang for the buck? I don't have a problem with the browser crashing, and though the android player occasionally freezes on me, it's no big deal (it usually freezes on sideloaded apps only, so I don't have a lot of room to complain here). I could care less about netflix or skype. The playbook does most of what I want it to do and was significantly cheaper than most of the competition. Now, if your bought your PB at the original list prices, then I apologize. If not, stop whining.
    First off, it matters not how much I paid. I could've paid 700 for a transformer prime if it's wat I chose. But I chose the playbook for what I thought would be a wonderful and seamless experience, like it's multitasking capabilities. But I purchased it for much more than just that feature. You and I have different purposes for purchasing what we do. And I purchased it in thought that it had its hardware for a reason. And fyi, I paid full price for my 16b playbook. For less than 300 tho I could have purchased an android tablet that does more than this device currently does. This device has so much potential and I'm not bashing it whatsoever. But they need to get on their feet if they want this device to even make a glimmer behind ipads and android tablets.
    direfan and bbfan1040 like this.
    04-01-12 11:25 PM
    Dude you signed your name "iatedeadpeople" rofl they wont answer you cuz theyll be laffing too much.

I mean, wtf dont you have any common sense? BB users know they can be informal in places like this forum but to voice your complaint while signing ur name like that?

rofl ur better off with an iphone. and pampers. or depends.
    Last edited by Spellreflekt; 04-02-12 at 12:24 AM.
    04-02-12 12:20 AM
    For less than 300 tho I could have purchased an android tablet that does more than this device currently does.
    Ahh OK its April fools, right? Good joke!
    SnoozerBold likes this.
    04-02-12 12:32 AM
    I'm kinda fed up with the bugs in this software. The browser crashes, the "android emulator" sucks and constantly freezes on me, they need strong 3rd party support without borrowing apps from another OS. And also the lack of necessary and functional apps on the appworld is frustrating. So I wrote them a very unnecessary email, but it felt good.
    Have u done a complete wipe and reload? The browser do crashes but not all the time from my experience. Android emulator they do freeze sometimes but a reboot usually fixes this. I would love to also see netflix on playbook but can live without it. As for apps cant say much thats up to devs. maybe you should email them too.
    iatedeadpeople likes this.
    04-02-12 12:42 AM
    Ahh OK its April fools, right? Good joke!
    Fyi the HTC ego (evo) view was selling for 279 when I bought my playbook.
    04-02-12 12:54 AM
    Clearly your not satisfied with the playbook. Why don't you get get rid of the PB and get an Android device?
    04-02-12 01:09 AM
    And?

Cheap Android tablets are just that.... CHEAP!
    vgwillm likes this.
    04-02-12 01:09 AM
    First off, it matters not how much I paid. I could've paid 700 for a transformer prime if it's wat I chose. But I chose the playbook for what I thought would be a wonderful and seamless experience, like it's multitasking capabilities. But I purchased it for much more than just that feature. You and I have different purposes for purchasing what we do. And I purchased it in thought that it had its hardware for a reason. And fyi, I paid full price for my 16b playbook. For less than 300 tho I could have purchased an android tablet that does more than this device currently does. This device has so much potential and I'm not bashing it whatsoever. But they need to get on their feet if they want this device to even make a glimmer behind ipads and android tablets.
    This is sadly true .BUT - Can't you see the necessary, needed changes that have recently occurred?

I have enjoyed hundreds of hours using my full price 64g PB. I think the future looks promising. Have improvements been needed? Of course. I care about 2012 not 2011!

OS2 is a major, difficult programming success! I can't wait to see what the future brings. Who else has accomplished as much?
    iatedeadpeople likes this.
    04-02-12 01:16 AM
    Meeeeeeow~!
    04-02-12 01:26 AM
    I would just like an honest explanation for the hold up of these amazing and very necessary applications, such as Netflix, Skype, or even Oovoo.
    �amazing and very necessary applications"???

Get a life mate. If it was missing a browser then fine, but it's not.
    Jello503 likes this.
    04-02-12 01:29 AM
    It would seem every other thread, regardless of the OP, mutates into a cycle of bash the playbook, defend the playbook, get the ____ck out if you don't like the playbook.

Could we tacitally accept that people are allowed to express their opinions, no matter how different they might be from yours?

Could we also allow for people who are experiencing the PlayBook to be unsatisfied with it, and allow them to express their incomformity?

With regards to the replies so far; the BlackBerry PlayBook has superior hardware than most Android tablets in the market. The BBPB OS is still maturing and it will eventually come to compete with the Android current 3.1 and 4.0.3 versions in its own time.

RIM has had a poor track record when it comes to OS development, but they're aware that this is where they should allocate resources. I believe we will see better development and in shorter cycles sooner rather than later.

I think emails like the OP are helping RIM as reminders that their customers are passionate and vocal. That it's this passionate customer base the same people waiting to throw money at them once the products are better.

I for one would stop inviting people to abandon the PlayBook experience, considering RIM is hemorrhaging users every fiscal quarter. It would be a real tragedy if RIM finally released the next version of their OS only to find it was too little, too late to too few.
    Skimpy and kennyliu like this.
    04-02-12 01:38 AM
    We all know it's not what you say, it's how you say it. Your post was more subjective, and while you are right that the user base is emotional, the OP just really did not express himself correctly. It was way too rash and exaggerated. The playbook is a great experience and it does not compare not even a miniscule to a cheap Android tab. I dunno I mean people are really complaining about nothing nowadays. The way they complain is also immature.
    04-02-12 02:28 AM
    It would seem every other thread, regardless of the OP, mutates into a cycle of bash the playbook, defend the playbook, get the ____ck out if you don't like the playbook.

Could we tacitally accept that people are allowed to express their opinions, no matter how different they might be from yours?

Could we also allow for people who are experiencing the PlayBook to be unsatisfied with it, and allow them to express their incomformity?

With regards to the replies so far; the BlackBerry PlayBook has superior hardware than most Android tablets in the market. The BBPB OS is still maturing and it will eventually come to compete with the Android current 3.1 and 4.0.3 versions in its own time.

RIM has had a poor track record when it comes to OS development, but they're aware that this is where they should allocate resources. I believe we will see better development and in shorter cycles sooner rather than later.

I think emails like the OP are helping RIM as reminders that their customers are passionate and vocal. That it's this passionate customer base the same people waiting to throw money at them once the products are better.

I for one would stop inviting people to abandon the PlayBook experience, considering RIM is hemorrhaging users every fiscal quarter. It would be a real tragedy if RIM finally released the next version of their OS only to find it was too little, too late to too few.
    Well said. RIM needs to listen from everyone, not just the most hardcore "Crackberries." I just don't understand why people are taking their device or brand of choice the same way as their religion (which is just as bad). If people doesn't care, they wouldn't waste their time complaining.

I think the PlayBook OS is very well-thought, even better than iOS and Android in some areas. But the lack of apps is striking. RIM can only do so much to improve the device, but support from developers are crucial. RIM realized this, and made it possible to sideload Android apps, but the fact that only a small portion of Android apps are supported, and that Android apps themselves often look bad on tablets, isn't helping much.

The PlayBook would be an exceptional device if it could attract the same attention from developers as Windows Phone, which isn't doing all that well either. But I suppose being the third platform on the developers's list is better than not being on the list at all.

Part of the reason why Android tablets aren't taking off as well as they did on smartphone is because of the sub-par tablet apps. Most developers would just let their smartphone apps to scale on tablets, and not build a tablet oriented app from scratch. Developers can't do that on the PlayBook, so their only choice is to build a good-looking tablet app.

Is RIM capable of pulling that off? I don't know. But if it could, it better happen before Windows 8 is released, because it's going to have a huge impact on Android itself, let alone the PlayBook.
    04-02-12 02:41 AM
    Anyone who owns a Playbook is certainly entitled to complain about its shortcomings, including RIM's failure to adequately support the OS. I don't regret buying the Playbook--it has some nice features--but I see no reason to slavishly praise RIM while denying that the Playbook has some problems.
    04-02-12 03:31 AM
    I think we have to be more understanding of people's frustrations when they are venting with good intentions, as I believe the OP was, and stop this "if you aren't happy with the playbook then go somewhere else attitude". Even Stevie Wonder could see that the OS is in fact much buggier, for lack of a better term, than prior to the update. The simulator is cool, but far from flawless and any suggestion of that either means one is oblivious to what's obvious or one is employed by RIM and is maybe on a team responsible for this os and is showing their sensitivity to criticism.
    I could see if it was an obvious post from one of those android or Apple douches, err fans, that have nothing better to do with their lives than to sit in their mothers' basements and visit a website dedicated to a platform for which they claim to have no interest, but once again, even Mr. Wonder could see this OP is not in that category and thus should be allowed to vent about a product s/he clearly enjoys and would like to see improve. If something is never constructively critiqued, how can it get better? Even if you like the playbook as is, wouldn't you hope that with time it would improve? Don't act blinder than Stevie and don't be a arse to someone well intentioned.
    Last edited by yalervp; 04-02-12 at 04:01 AM.
    04-02-12 03:58 AM
    I'd buy something else. No need getting frusterated over an electronics devices. Mine works perfect. Its amazing right now and its only going to get better and better.
    04-02-12 04:10 AM
    A couple of times now, I've had acquaintances express interest in buying "the blackberry tablet." I always refer them to this very forum. They spend 10-20 mins browsing, note all the PlayBook buzzwords ( "wipe" "reload" "crash" "reboot" "freeze" and "sideload"), thank me for the heads up, and buy an iPad.
    04-02-12 04:44 AM
    I have the opposite situation.
    I have co-workers that have seen me using the Playbook for months then go out and buy one. In one case a co-worker bought four.
    I've never had to "wipe" "reload" or "reboot", never a "crash", and one "freeze" from an app that I "sideloaded".
    SnoozerBold likes this.
    04-02-12 05:06 AM
    Having written a letter to RIM, and received feedback from some very high level employees (SVP+) I can tell you that it IS about how you write things. My letter was by no means a positive, but I did offer constructive criticism in a professional manner. I outlined what I thought were the key issues (both from my own personal opinion and from general concensus here), and also presented ways to resolve those issues. I have been happy to see some of what I said come to fruition, and by no means expected all, or even any to be implemented in such a short time.

RIM does need to listen to its consumer base, but we also need to express things as a whole, and with professionalism, or it won't be taken seriously. No company has the manpower to respond to hundreds or thousands of different complaints across forums, letters, calls, etc. Unifying those complaints into a single letter, and having many signatures on that letter will get you significantly more traction.

Please bear in mind it MUST be professional, and no one wants 100% negative thrown at them. Put things in a constructive manner.
    04-02-12 05:36 AM
    The level of discourse needs to be raised. Specifics needs to be mentioned and letters need to be hyperbole-free. This is not the best tablet, this is not the worst tablet.

RIM has been very smart in incorporating gestures into many aspects of the OS browsing, something Apple, recognized for its attention to detail and thorough design philosophy has used as well. There are many things in favor of RIM's future as a contender in the tablet arena, but it needs to rally its resources or it will keep lagging behind.

Keep something in mind, PlayBook is not a superior tablet, it only has superior hardware. Both Apple and Google have managed a finished, polished, robust tablet OS. RIM needs to catch up. It has the means.
    04-02-12 09:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD