...or more accurately, i should say the Playbook sold itself! My husband and I bought our Playbooks back in May. My cousin and his family, all Apple i-juice drinkers, have been ragging on the Playbook since day one, calling it a poor excuse for an ipad wannabe, etc..

Well, we are now at a family vacation together. They ridiculed us all day yesterday every time they saw one of us using it. Last night my cousin finally asked to see it, then asked me to show him some of the features. i showed him how it operates, especially the camera and video functions, and multi-tasking, then was called away and left it with him. When I came back later, he told me how surprisingly impressed he was with it. This morning after breakfast without saying a word he surfed the net, on his ipad of course, and found Playbooks on Amazon. Then he started telling his daughters about his new revelation. He's ordering a 64gb just like ours. I suppressed the urge to gloat...out loud.....or do an endzone dance....
    mandony, JR A, KQ9 and 12 others like this.
    09-18-11 07:31 PM
    OP: good job!
    It takes a hands-on demo to prove the power of the PB.
    Jake2826, sk8er_tor and bbvj like this.
    09-18-11 07:46 PM
    Why did he say he liked the PB over his current iPad?
    09-18-11 08:01 PM
    I haven't known many ipad owners who were happy with their purchase. I think it is mainly based on their recognition that a tablet is not an item they need. That being said, those same folks were interested in the smaller form factor of the playbook and original galaxy tab.
    09-18-11 08:06 PM
    what is with bb fans referring to apple fans/devices as iJuice, iToys etc. atleast their product sells well, unlike others *cough*playbook*cough* nothing to be brag about if your device only shipped 200k 6 months after it was released
    09-18-11 08:12 PM
    They deserve a tablet that doesn't require continual payments for basic web functions. I recognize there are many good apps on the market and apps can be good for tablets and phones. I look forward to more apps for the.playbook without a doubt. However, there is a limit to that benefit. At a certain point it becomes a scam to mask the deficiencies of the product while creating a demand based on lack of functionality.
    bbvj, Jake2826, kbz1960 and 3 others like this.
    09-18-11 08:14 PM
    His only comments so far are re the quality of the pics/videos and the form factor. I decided not to pursue it yet, but we have the rest of the week together so I definitely will bring it up and let you know.
    09-18-11 08:14 PM
    I haven't known many ipad owners who were happy with their purchase. I think it is mainly based on their recognition that a tablet is not an item they need. That being said, those same folks were interested in the smaller form factor of the playbook and original galaxy tab.
    I think you may be right on this. Some people don't really know how to fit a tablet into their lives. Those people I doubt would be happy with any tablet.

The smaller size is probably a reason for some people.
    09-18-11 08:16 PM
    what is with bb fans referring to apple fans/devices as iJuice, iToys etc. atleast their product sells well, unlike others *cough*playbook*cough* nothing to be brag about if your device only shipped 200k 6 months after it was released
    What is it with apple users needing to come on another platforms fan site to rag...cough...cough. Seriously, how can you have enough time in your life for that?
    bbvj, tstrike34, cielodome and 6 others like this.
    09-18-11 08:18 PM
    His only comments so far are re the quality of the pics/videos and the form factor. I decided not to pursue it yet, but we have the rest of the week together so I definitely will bring it up and let you know.
    This post was in response to Dap's question...forgot to click quote....
    09-18-11 08:19 PM
    Who really uses a tablet to take pictures and videos other than Spike Lee?(Spike was using an iPad to video Obama and looking like a tool doing it) The form factor may be factor but if he's an app user he's going to be disappointed.

Either way his money and with the deals going on now for a PB, now would be the time to buy before the price goes back to normal
    09-18-11 08:19 PM
    im not a fan of any platform or brand.. i actually own a bb 9800 so im entitled to comment on crackberry which is a site for bb users? am i wrong?
    09-18-11 08:22 PM
    Who really uses a tablet to take pictures and videos other than Spike Lee?(Spike was using an iPad to video Obama and looking like a tool doing it) The form factor may be factor but if he's an app user he's going to be disappointed.

Either way his money and with the deals going on now for a PB, now would be the time to buy before the price goes back to normal
    I never would have said I am that guy before I bought it. But I have taken too many home movies to count at this point and tons of pics. I get your point but this thing, in my opinion, takes awesome family videos and is very easy to handle in the process.
    mandony likes this.
    09-18-11 08:23 PM
    The PB isn't huge but I don't think I'd use it to film video. If it could fit on a tripod maybe. Does it have zoom? I can't remember.

I was mostly picking with Spike Lee using an iPad2 to do videos/pictures but left out the

As long as a person knows their device pros & cons and they're happy all our fussing on this DB doesn't really mean much
    grover5 likes this.
    09-18-11 08:29 PM
    just 23,999,999 to go
    cielodome likes this.
    09-18-11 08:34 PM
    Who really uses a tablet to take pictures and videos other than Spike Lee?
    .... actually me. I carry the PB with me all the time. My companion BB9000 is not too good for photos. As an all purpose camera and video device I find the PB just right. I love the big screen for composition.
    09-18-11 08:39 PM
    The PB isn't huge but I don't think I'd use it to film video. If it could fit on a tripod maybe. Does it have zoom?
    For me, any port in a storm. In the hands of someone who knows video making, interesting hd video is possible,
    The latest OS permits zoom in playback mode.
    09-18-11 08:48 PM
    They deserve a tablet that doesn't require continual payments for basic web functions.
    Example please, and be specific. Generalizations are for the uninformed.

At a certain point it becomes a scam to mask the deficiencies of the product while creating a demand based on lack of functionality.
    I think you just unintentionally explained BlackBerry Bridge.
    Last edited by Economist101; 09-18-11 at 09:10 PM.
    09-18-11 09:08 PM
    This is incorrect information! They shipped 200k ADDITIONAL in the last quater, that is in addition to the original 500k that they shipped during the first quater it was available for sale. So total shipped is now 700,000!
    Superfly_FR and anon(4018671) like this.
    09-18-11 09:21 PM

Cute. Flash.
    09-18-11 09:25 PM

LOL

I think the iPad is the better all around device but I can see why people would like the PB for it's size but I would want more than a web browser.

V2 will give the PB android apps but for the price of the PB I'd want QNX apps and honestly I don't see them coming till maybe the phones are released. I got one of the Firesale TP and can't wait till Android is ported because while WebOS is nice. I'm stuck with nothing but a Web Browser and Angry birds
    09-18-11 09:26 PM
    Cute. Flash.
    The same Flash that's never appeared on a BlackBerry phone? That's still a bit general. Give me a "basic web function" which requires "continual payments" as the result of Flash being absent. Obviously subscription services like Hulu and Netflix don't fit, as both are blocked on Flash-enabled mobile devices anyway.
    09-18-11 09:44 PM

Sorry... now that was funny...
    09-18-11 09:55 PM
    The same Flash that's never appeared on a BlackBerry phone? That's still a bit general. Give me a "basic web function" which requires "continual payments" as the result of Flash being absent. Obviously subscription services like Hulu and Netflix don't fit, as both are blocked on Flash-enabled mobile devices anyway.
    A website requiring flash. Basic enough?
    09-18-11 09:56 PM
    A website requiring flash. Basic enough?
    So an iPad user attempts to browse a website which requires Flash, and they're charged? Unless that's what you're saying, and I can't think of when that happens, I don't see how iOS is any different than BlackBerry OS 1-7, WP7, etc.
    09-18-11 10:17 PM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD