For as long as two months now, I can't charge my PlayBook with a computer or anything that the USB cable connects to. My wall charger and dock charger both work, but the USB cable will only let me manage files. Upon connecting, I'll get a ! message at the top of the screen that reads it can't be used as a power source. I never had a problem with just charging with a plug, but Hurricane Sandy has left me without electricity. I can only charge with the cable, even though I can't. Anyone have an idea why this might be?
    10-31-12 08:19 AM
    I was never able to charge the playbook from my macbook air
    10-31-12 08:24 AM
    The original cable that came with the playbook is a charging cable, standard usb cables are different. Also with the new 2.1 you could get a message that the source isn't given ng enough power to use as a charging source, but it will charge slowly if you turn off the playbook. With playbook on it'll probably use more power than usb can provide. Usbs on pcs give 400 to 500 miliamps and playbook charger puts out about 2 amps. If you don't have electricity you are probably better off using your pc in short bursts and turning off when not using.
    Chaddface likes this.
    10-31-12 08:31 AM
    yeah I had the same thing but opposite. I could charge but not sync. I switched to theoriginal usb data cable and yay now incan sync to desktop again. people tend to forget how important an oem product really is.
    10-31-12 08:35 AM
    So you want to charge the playbook through the usb port of a laptop not plugged to an AC power supply ?
    10-31-12 08:38 AM
    So you want to charge the playbook through the usb port of a laptop not plugged to an AC power supply ?
    Seems a lot of people want to do that. Must be a shortage of outlets as it will charge but only if the screen is off and nothing is accessing it but it will take forever.
    10-31-12 08:42 AM
    The PB could never charge via USB, it's only in recent updates that it (annoyingly) points that out.
    10-31-12 08:44 AM
    try a different wall outlet,...maybe its not the cable or the playbook
    10-31-12 08:44 AM
    It DOES charge, however it goes very slowly so that's why you'll receive that message.
    10-31-12 09:14 AM
    The usb port on a computer/laptop has always provided VERY LITTLE "outbound" power. If the pb was being used while attached to a computer usb port, the battery would get depleted as the usb port could not provide sufficient power to charge a working pb. If the pb was OFF, the usb port could provide a very slow charge.

The latest 2.1 OS updates now throw a message on the screen saying that usb will not charge. Folks have found that it still works like it did - very slowly if OFF and depletion if the pb is used but now there's a message explaining "no charge."

There are usb CHARGING ONLY cables - those could work somewhat since they apparently short or cross wires and provide NO data so a bit more power over both lines. AT&T sells one as do others.

I _THINK_ that the original usb cable that shipped with the pb was a data-charge cable as that would allow folks to copy files to/from the pb and allow use of the Desktop software to backup. If it were a charge only cable, no backups would be possible. But I'm guessing that was the type of cable rim initially provided was data-charge.

edited to add: Since the OP mentioned Sandy, I would guess they have no power and are trying to leech off of a somewhat charged laptop to provide power to their pb. Best wishes to those hit by this tragic hurricane/storm. This Bronx boy's got cousins and old friends back there.
    sputneek likes this.
    10-31-12 09:24 AM
    The PB could never charge via USB, it's only in recent updates that it (annoyingly) points that out.
    The PB could ALWAYS charge vis USB ports.

OP, the answer is in post number 3. Charge with the PB in standby. Sometimes the backlight comes on when charging while turned off. It could take 12 hours to charge this way and you may end up with a depleted laptop battery and hardly charged PB.
    sputneek and FF22 like this.
    10-31-12 09:27 AM
    I _THINK_ that the original usb cable that shipped with the pb was a data-charge cable as that would allow folks to copy files to/from the pb and allow use of the Desktop software to backup. If it were a charge only cable, no backups would be possible. But I'm guessing that was the type of cable rim initially provided was data-charge....
    The cable supplied with the playbook is a usb data transfer cable and charging cable also.

some usb cables sold here and there are indeed data transfer only.

I think that you can never charge anything through the usb port of a laptop[ if it isn't itself plugged to a main electricity supply. its USB ports will shut down to save the battery. they will allow only data transfer.
    10-31-12 09:36 AM
    The PB could ALWAYS charge vis USB ports.

OP, the answer is in post number 3. Charge with the PB in standby. Sometimes the backlight comes on when charging while turned off. It could take 12 hours to charge this way and you may end up with a depleted laptop battery and hardly charged PB.
    Fine, it could never charge properly via USB.
    10-31-12 10:00 AM
    As long as it's a Blackberry cable (has the BB icon on the micro end of the cable), I can charge my phone and my PB from a powered up PC. However, I can't get it to charge if either are plugged into a wall outlet adapter in which the USB end goes. Why not?
    01-18-13 01:24 PM
    Some older USB power adapters don't follow the new USB charging standard, which requires a short between the two data wires (actually, maximum 200 ohms). The official BBPB USB charger does have that connection, and supplies 2000 ma at 5 volts. I have a couple of older USB chargers that don't have the connection; some of my devices charge with them and some don't. You might try taking it apart and shorting the two data contacts.
    Uzay26 likes this.
    01-18-13 01:46 PM
    When you install new OS for Playbook, you can not charger for your PC, you must use USB power adapters
    You CAN charge using a pc but it will only charge if the pb is in Standby. The pc does not provide enough power to allow use of the pb. Also you can get CHARGE-ONLY cables (AT&T sells them) which can help a bit more.
    01-19-13 09:14 AM
    Some older USB power adapters don't follow the new USB charging standard, which requires a short between the two data wires (actually, maximum 200 ohms). The official BBPB USB charger does have that connection, and supplies 2000 ma at 5 volts. I have a couple of older USB chargers that don't have the connection; some of my devices charge with them and some don't. You might try taking it apart and shorting the two data contacts.
    Thank you, pholy! That worked beautifully.
    01-20-13 10:03 AM
    Your best bet is to buy the BlackBerry Quick Charging Pod. It will save plugging in & out the USB cable. I've read and heard many state that the internal connections get damaged over time and it's a costly repair unless you know an electronics guru.
    I have a GPS that had this problem after about 6 months.
    My 2 cents.
    01-20-13 07:11 PM
    FFS man I have uninstalled the drivers several times because of that message - even though it charges fine from the wall socket. LOL
    01-25-13 07:59 AM