Hi
    I am off to the Indian Subcontinent in a few days - would like opinions/suggestions on apps that do NOT require an internet connection
    Specifically:
    1. An MAP with GPS - as detailed as possible
    2. A Hindi (I assume that would cover most places) phrase book with audio output and a good user interface
    3. a menu guide - including pictures - to help a poor North American to select the many delicious options there
    4. Whatever is needed for secure web access
    5. Your suggestions on what would be useful that I did not think about
    Thanks in advance
    Larry
    11-12-12 11:00 PM
    You probably thought about it but a plug adapter to accommodate a charger if their sockets are different.

Enjoy.
    rupam95 likes this.
    11-12-12 11:16 PM
    I assumme you are going to take temp. mobile connection once you are here. you should if you are not. With that you can have some cheap data access pack, which works pretty much every where.

I download maps on my wife's android and use them, with the data connection. works fine.

I have no idea about a hindi phrase book, considering its my native language. About menu with images, I think mostly good hotels and restaurents have that in their menu card. Though I can PM you a small list which you can google .

In any case, feel free to ping me, happy to help.
    Last edited by adi_vastava; 11-13-12 at 12:07 AM.
    11-12-12 11:49 PM
    MapDroyd, all Openstreetmap available offline, daily use here
    Some prefer Osmand, nicer interface, also Openstreetmap mapping, adding turn-by-turn guiding for cars/bikes/pedestrians, but I really never managed to seriously use it, maybe out of lack of patience (and it crashes). I also checked a Nogago Maps which is very close to the previous one, with a faster screen refresh, but this too failed for guiding, so presently I'm back to the minimalist but efficient MapDroyd.
    I'd pay an arm and a leg for a native guiding offline OSM app, but I think nothing such will appear before BB10 now.
    11-13-12 03:12 AM
    OsmAnd is a free gps map programme. 2D only and voice is not perfect, But it works well off-line. If you are travelling in a vehicle you need a RIM 12v charger specifically for the Playbook as it must charge above 1.8a and be a charge only, not data, cable.

Regards
    11-13-12 03:18 AM
    Wikipedia Offline -. A staggering amount of information to have anytime you want - 4 GB of just text with no graphics. After purchase they need to send you a link for the big download. I didn't find that out till I wrote to them after two hours of trying to figure it out within the application itself.

Navigator - seems very similar to Osmand as far as I can tell. If vector maps are available then these are preferable but otherwise you download a cascading series of raster images depending on the zoom level (ie. detail) that you want.

One of the many excellent photo-editing apps like PicShop for tuning up your photos.

I really wished I had the Eye-Fi SD card for my camera on a recent trip. With the sideloaded app it can wirelessly send photos from the camera to the PlayBook without the need for any wifi network. Next time, for sure.

Don't forget to take some video shots, too, to get the sounds of the place as well.

Post some pictures when you get a chance.

Oh, and have a blast.
    11-13-12 09:33 AM
    Is this what you are looking for?
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...YmkuaGluZGkiXQ..

I will convert it to .bar when I get home after 7 hours. Let me know if this is what you need or anything else.
    There is something similar to poynt for India but I can't recall what that is. Maybe when I get home, I will.
    11-13-12 10:08 AM
    Take lots of soap and anti bacterial. No offense, but India is generally a very dirty place, especially in towns and cities where I presume you will be spend the majority of your time.
    11-13-12 03:19 PM
    You probably thought about it but a plug adapter to accommodate a charger if their sockets are different.

Enjoy.
    Interesting - I just picked up 3 adapters this PM
    11-13-12 08:31 PM
    I assumme you are going to take temp. mobile connection once you are here. you should if you are not. With that you can have some cheap data access pack, which works pretty much every where.

I download maps on my wife's android and use them, with the data connection. works fine.

I have no idea about a hindi phrase book, considering its my native language. About menu with images, I think mostly good hotels and restaurents have that in their menu card. Though I can PM you a small list which you can google .

In any case, feel free to ping me, happy to help.
    We are on a tour (long past runnung after TukTuks <grin> where most hotels have WiFi
    11-13-12 08:34 PM
    MapDroyd, all Openstreetmap available offline, daily use here
    Some prefer Osmand, nicer interface, also Openstreetmap mapping, adding turn-by-turn guiding for cars/bikes/pedestrians, but I really never managed to seriously use it, maybe out of lack of patience (and it crashes). I also checked a Nogago Maps which is very close to the previous one, with a faster screen refresh, but this too failed for guiding, so presently I'm back to the minimalist but efficient MapDroyd.
    I'd pay an arm and a leg for a native guiding offline OSM app, but I think nothing such will appear before BB10 now.
    I have ended up with Osmand but I was interested in what others have to offer - thanks
    11-13-12 08:36 PM
    OsmAnd is a free gps map programme. 2D only and voice is not perfect, But it works well off-line.
    Yes, my experence as well. I only wish the India map was more detailled

If you are travelling in a vehicle you need a RIM 12v charger specifically for the Playbook as it must charge above 1.8a and be a charge only, not data, cable.

Regards
    As before, I am on a tour so no chance to charge while in transit but thanks for the tip
    Last edited by Larry8765Ottawa; 11-13-12 at 09:01 PM.
    11-13-12 08:37 PM
    Is this what you are looking for?
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...YmkuaGluZGkiXQ..

I will convert it to .bar when I get home after 7 hours. Let me know if this is what you need or anything else.
    There is something similar to poynt for India but I can't recall what that is. Maybe when I get home, I will.
    Looks very interesting - Yes Please..... (and thanks)
    11-13-12 08:39 PM
    Take lots of soap and anti bacterial. No offense, but India is generally a very dirty place, especially in towns and cities where I presume you will be spend the majority of your time.
    Thanks - we have had the same message from many folk.
    My accountant, who is first generation Canadian Sikh, recommended that we get those straws in paper wraps to use for pop (soft drinks to non-Canucks<grin>) .
    It is interesting that we went though the North on the way from Aussi to England 35 years ago and had few tummy proplems - now however.....
    11-13-12 08:43 PM
    Wikipedia Offline -. A staggering amount of information to have anytime you want - 4 GB of just text with no graphics. After purchase they need to send you a link for the big download. I didn't find that out till I wrote to them after two hours of trying to figure it out within the application itself.
    Wow! I will investigate....

Navigator - seems very similar to Osmand as far as I can tell. If vector maps are available then these are preferable but otherwise you download a cascading series of raster images depending on the zoom level (ie. detail) that you want.
    I asked to see others opinions.. I have settled on Osman

One of the many excellent photo-editing apps like PicShop for tuning up your photos.
    Yup - got a fair collection so thanks

I really wished I had the Eye-Fi SD card for my camera on a recent trip. With the sideloaded app it can wirelessly send photos from the camera to the PlayBook without the need for any wifi network. Next time, for sure.
    I looked at it but it costs $100 Canadian so hard to justify

Don't forget to take some video shots, too, to get the sounds of the place as well. .
    Yes I plan to - both camera and Playbook
    Post some pictures when you get a chance.
    Oh, and have a blast.
    We hope to. Thanks for all the suggestions
    11-13-12 08:48 PM
    Looks very interesting - Yes Please..... (and thanks)
    Sorry bro, I tried to download the .apk file and it seemed to stop working. See if someone else can do this for you here: http://forums.crackberry.com/android...eloading-f258/

P.S. I am also off to the subcontinent. I will be leaving tomorrow
    11-13-12 09:32 PM
    Hi
    I am off to the Indian Subcontinent in a few days - would like opinions/suggestions on apps that do NOT require an internet connection
    Specifically:
    2. A Hindi (I assume that would cover most places) phrase book with audio output and a good user interface
    3. a menu guide - including pictures - to help a poor North American to select the many delicious options there
    4. Whatever is needed for secure web access
    5. Your suggestions on what would be useful that I did not think about
    Thanks in advance
    Larry
    Which city/state are you visiting?
    11-13-12 10:03 PM
    Which city/state are you visiting?
    It`s a tour - very extensive survey
    India Tours | India Trips
    We traveled across the Great Road 35 years ago on the hippie trail from Australia to England ago and I always wanted to return....
    Cheers
    Larry
    11-14-12 07:06 PM