A few years ago my wife forgot her charger and we stopped into a Walgreen's and picked up a portable power supply from Energizer. It used 2 AA batteries and was able to charge the phone. However the new phones and tablets require something more powerful.

I was wondering if anyone is using something to temporarily charge their PlayBook and/or BlackBerry.

I've tried to find information on the battery in the PlayBook but have not been successful. even when I call PB tech support they couldn't help me.

I found two devices on the web.

iSound Portable Power Max

Sanyo Eneloop

I'm going to New York in a couple of weeks and would like to have some portable power with me.

TIA
    08-05-11 02:25 PM
    Go to Amazon and do a search on "Duracell USB Charger". They have several models ranging from 500maH to 1800 mah. Any of which will work with the cable that came with your PB. They can also charge you BB phone, a Kindle, and most any device that is normally charged via a USB connector.

These all seem to have great reviews.
    08-05-11 02:44 PM
    If you're lucky, a pair of AA batteries just *might* be able to boost the PlayBook battery by about 10%. Maybe. The PB batteries combined store just over about 18Wh of energy. Find what the AA batteries can do, and it likely won't be a significant fraction of that.
    08-05-11 03:05 PM
    Sorry, 2 amps only. The playbook is the most power hungry usb device available.
    08-05-11 04:50 PM
    I would go with the isound PPM.
    08-05-11 05:04 PM
    Go with iSound Portable Power Max if you want more juice..
    Or take the Sanyo Eneloop for portability
    08-05-11 05:08 PM
    I personaly use the Isound charger, and it works well so far. The only Issue I had, as it seems with all portable units, is you have to short the data wires for the PlayBook to recognize the charger.(do a google search for best price)
    08-05-11 06:06 PM
    I personaly use the Isound charger, and it works well so far. The only Issue I had, as it seems with all portable units, is you have to short the data wires for the PlayBook to recognize the charger.(do a google search for best price)
    I wonder if the AT&T charging ONLY cable ($10) would fix that issue. It speeds up charging from a computer usb port.
    08-05-11 08:50 PM
    My cheapie Monoprice mini-usb chargers work great with a micro adapter that is basically a charging cable adapter. Granted they don't hold enough to fully charge it, but enough to get 40% or so into it. They only put out 0.7A so it's slow going, but they do work in a pinch.
    08-05-11 09:02 PM
    What do you mean "short the data wires"?
    08-06-11 04:51 AM
    08-06-11 05:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD