So, we're around a friends house who has a generator and there are five kids here. My son takes out my Playbook and in five minutes they're drooling over all the games and "fighting " to see who plays next.

They all want one now!
    11-04-12 02:07 PM
    The playbook with my 9900 was my only ticket to the outside world for 4 days. No electricity or cable and really no cell phone for a few days either. Honestly, the lack of hot water sucked, but the ability to be off the wire was almost refreshing.
    bungaboy, Cesare21 and Stewartj1 like this.
    11-04-12 05:05 PM
    I am glad you folks made out OK.

A bonus to have the PlayBook and bridged to your BB too.

Good luck in the recovery.
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    11-04-12 07:41 PM
    It's awesome that you guys are coping with this disaster. Once it's all over I'd love to hear more about your experiences, especially how your BlackBerry's performed and how they compared to other devices.

Best wishes and good luck to all of you.
    11-04-12 07:51 PM
    We had no power during Irene for a couple of days. I made sure I had a full charge beforehand. I was bridged and using my playbook to keep a check on the weather radar, etc. It was very reassuring to have access to information.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    bungaboy and Stewartj1 like this.
    11-04-12 07:51 PM
    The playbook with my 9900 was my only ticket to the outside world for 4 days. No electricity or cable and really no cell phone for a few days either. Honestly, the lack of hot water sucked, but the ability to be off the wire was almost refreshing.
    What a great attitude!

Good luck buddy.
    bungaboy and Blacklatino like this.
    11-04-12 07:53 PM
    Glad you made it through ok. Someone oughtta kick the crap out of those jerks in NYC who were standing in line for iPad Mini while there was destruction all around. Nice to see people have their priorities straight. </sarcasm>.
    11-04-12 07:56 PM
    We have natural gas so fortunately we still had hot water and could cook.
    I charged my PB and 9900 with a jump pack that has USB port. One of those things used to jump start cars. We lost the cable connection as well so AT&T and bridge got us through a few days.
    I should pick up a battery powered AM/FM radio just in case AT&T fails next time.
    11-05-12 08:49 AM
    How is it a sale if no one bought anything? We imagining rim sales figures now? I just showed my kid's stuffed animals my playbook. There's 20 more playbooks sold right there.
    Yeah, the title is misleading because no one actually bought anything in the story, but the theme of the thread (at least how it developed) isn't really about how many Playbooks are selling. Regardless, I think it's good to know that people can "drool" over the tablet which is now a year and a half old.

Also, best regards to those weathering the aftermath of the storm. I'm glad to hear some positivity.
    lcgoldman and bungaboy like this.
    11-05-12 08:53 AM
    Update: I'm still without power... gas lines are getting a little shorter I've heard... g/f just waiting "only" 35 minutes (much better than the three to four hour lines from two days ago and paid $4.39 to fill up her car... if lines get shorter tonight she'll try to fill mine up... and who knows, I might get my car back soon! YAY

On a positive note, the boys are still loving the PlayBook and are really really in to Flycraft! I'm glad it makes them use their heads.

I have a hard time prying away the PlayBook from them to get some work done!
    xravishx and bungaboy like this.
    11-05-12 09:13 AM
    Update: I'm still without power... gas lines are getting a little shorter I've heard... g/f just waiting "only" 35 minutes (much better than the three to four hour lines from two days ago and paid $4.39 to fill up her car... if lines get shorter tonight she'll try to fill mine up... and who knows, I might get my car back soon! YAY

On a positive note, the boys are still loving the PlayBook and are really really in to Flycraft! I'm glad it makes them use their heads.

I have a hard time prying away the PlayBook from them to get some work done!
    Make sure to keep your GAS recipients. Here in Florida, they go after price gouging by retailers and even their distributors after a hurricane pretty strongly.
    11-05-12 09:25 AM
    I had no power, no wifi, and no cell service, so my PlayBook was limited in what it could do during Sandy, but I used it to rewatch some Dexter episodes, listen to podcasts, and serve as a flashlight occasionally.
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    11-05-12 10:01 AM
    How is it a sale if no one bought anything? We imagining rim sales figures now? I just showed my kid's stuffed animals my playbook. There's 20 more playbooks sold right there.
    OP and some of the posters on this thread are literally freezing in the dark so you see it as an opportunity for negativity??

You should be focusing on ways to boost their spirits rather than some petty bias.

Wow.
    11-05-12 10:42 AM
    Time to get this train back on the tracks.

My hat is off to everyone managing to cope and keep their positive attitudes through this huge disaster. It's that positive outlook that will sustain you over the coming days.

We're all pulling for you.
    bungaboy, kbz1960 and lcgoldman like this.
    11-05-12 10:46 AM
    FTR - although the exchange of money for product hasn't occurred yet, RIM has DEFINITELY sold a BB10 device to me as a result of it being "shown" to me.

COUNT IT AS MONEY IN THE BANK, RIM!

Don't really see the difference in my committed purchase when circumstances allow, and the likelihood of OP's friends making the purchase "when they can" - you know - AFTER they take care of little things like life, safety, food, shelter.

Whiners . . . with such long legs, you have to be so careful about getting your foot stuck so deeply in your dental work . . .
    11-05-12 10:55 AM
    Maybe you could charge them 25 cents a play too offset the price gouging at the gas pumps?

Or maybe expense the cost of the games to your insurance company as A Mental Health claim? YOUR mental health, not the kids.
    bungaboy likes this.
    11-05-12 10:57 AM
    ...paid $4.39 to fill up her car...
    $4.39 a gallon?
    That's about $1.14 a litre >.< if I saw that while I was driving down the highway I'd pull over and fill up! Our gas in Canada is around $1.20/L right now (about $4.54 a gallon). This is considering the conversion rate to be at par.
    11-05-12 03:02 PM
    $4.39 a gallon?
    That's about $1.14 a litre >.< if I saw that while I was driving down the highway I'd pull over and fill up! Our gas in Canada is around $1.20/L right now (about $4.54 a gallon). This is considering the conversion rate to be at par.
    We are paying $1.38/litre down here in Nova Scotia.
    11-05-12 04:15 PM
    We were paying well over $4/gallon here in CA a few weeks ago.

What was the price they were charging before the storm?
    11-05-12 06:12 PM
    We were paying well over $4/gallon here in CA a few weeks ago.

What was the price they were charging before the storm?
    $3.65
    11-05-12 06:45 PM
    OP and some of the posters on this thread are literally freezing in the dark so you see it as an opportunity for negativity??

You should be focusing on ways to boost their spirits rather than some petty bias.

Wow.
    Thank you.

But, I know I'm way better off than a lot of other people. So many are homeless and lost everything.

My g/f lives in Lindenhurst... her son had an apartment in a house near the water there... She got her power back yesterday... His basement apartment is lost... He said today that "there are soldiers in Humvees with machine guns going down his street... It's a war zone".
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    11-05-12 06:48 PM
    It is pretty darn nasty in the affected areas. As of today one of the major auto insurers has had over 40,000 claims and they project upwards to or exceeding 100,000 claims. This is one insurer, they can't even get enough staff into the area to process the claims. Of course they are dealing with the gas issue,cellular service issue and no where to stay. I speak with folks from the region daily and it is quite humbling to hear their stories of what they have lost.

Best wishes to all affected by this catastrophe
    11-05-12 09:32 PM
    Hearing stories on the news tonight from some who are in the dark in their homes at night with no power and just a flashlight, so be careful about using the PB and or phone for light and inviting a source for burglary. It was sad to hear of some whose homes have been robbed. Do be careful out there at night.....
    11-05-12 09:56 PM
    We are paying $1.38/litre down here in Nova Scotia.
    $1.04 in Edmonton, the land of Oil and Honey
    bungaboy likes this.
    11-05-12 11:15 PM
    Hey guess what? I LIVE IN BELMAR, NJ, one of the hardest hit places from he storm. WE HAVEN'T HAD POWER FOR OVER A WEEK. You wanna talk like this to me? Go for it. I'm suffering just like everyone else is.

Jessica
    Leggs - Jessica - As you've seen, we are a protective bunch around here, and sometimes our wit can be a little biting when we feel we have to defend, but rest assured, knowing you are in that area we are all as concerned and supportive of your well being as we are for the OP. Our prayers are added to your pleas to Heaven, and the pleas of those around you, for the protection and help that you ALL need. Thanks in advance for understanding where we were coming from.

<<hatchet buried>>
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    11-05-12 11:28 PM
40 12