Did Hulu block the playbook yet? Cant wait to get mine, just ordered it from BB 16gb....seems every BB in San Diego has them in stock. Hope thats not a bad sign
    04-19-11 06:03 PM
    Not yet at least. I watched a few trailers on mine today but that's it thus far.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-19-11 06:06 PM
    works flawlessly
    04-19-11 06:08 PM
    if they did just download an app called PlayOn. I watch netflix on my droid with it and hulu is also available, saw a few office episdOdes with it
    04-19-11 06:09 PM
    I just tried and I get the following screen:

Not happy...
    04-20-11 05:29 PM
    Yesterday I was able to watch Chuck via Hulu & output it via hdmi to my 42" tv, but it looks like they've caught on.
    04-20-11 05:35 PM
    What i love is they say its not compatible, but it was yesterday. Which means they noticed a ton of use yesterday (which is bc we were all testing our new toy). I bet we will be able to use it again soon
    04-20-11 06:13 PM
    guess it is blocked......
    04-20-11 06:30 PM
    figured out a workaround. i only tested with gmail but here goes:

browse to the hulu video you actually want to watch.
    you should see a large black box where the video would normally be playing.
    scroll to BENEATH that and hit the link that lets you copy the "embeddded" code for "sharing"
    in the browser open a new tab and go to gmail.
    compose a message to yourself and paste the embedded codes
    send the message
    wait until you get your own message
    it should look just like the embedded codes you sent BUT with an active hyperlink in the middle
    click the link and the video should load in a new tab
    T_Touch and jcrouzzo like this.
    04-20-11 06:33 PM
    Well I think everyone called this one. Go to **** Hulu.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-20-11 10:08 PM
    Hey look at that. Another thing I said came true. Seriously though, is anyone really surprised by this? I told you guys Hulu was going to do this. This is the sort of stuff that will cause the much raved about PB Browser to be no better than other platforms. This is what RIM didn't realize. Sure, you'll have the whole web experience.... "if" the hosting sites decide that you should have it.

ESPN360 will be next (even for those who can access it due to their ISP affiliation now).... Just wait.
    JetLife87 likes this.
    04-20-11 10:34 PM
    Yesterday I was able to watch Chuck via Hulu & output it via hdmi to my 42" tv, but it looks like they've caught on.
    what did they catch on to? what's the problem with viewing hulu on the PlayBook as opposed your laptop?
    04-20-11 10:56 PM
    Hey look at that. Another thing I said came true. Seriously though, is anyone really surprised by this? I told you guys Hulu was going to do this. This is the sort of stuff that will cause the much raved about PB Browser to be no better than other platforms. This is what RIM didn't realize. Sure, you'll have the whole web experience.... "if" the hosting sites decide that you should have it.

ESPN360 will be next (even for those who can access it due to their ISP affiliation now).... Just wait.
    As true as this portion maybe.. eventually, Hulu will just make an app.. and then at that point, the intelligent are no longer at their mercy. I live in Canada where Hulu does not work at all, yet.. I have Hulu Plus..and I watch Hulu on every device that is capable of it.

One app, and one American VPN is all it takes.
    04-20-11 11:01 PM
    figured out a workaround. i only tested with gmail but here goes:

browse to the hulu video you actually want to watch.
    you should see a large black box where the video would normally be playing.
    scroll to BENEATH that and hit the link that lets you copy the "embeddded" code for "sharing"
    in the browser open a new tab and go to gmail.
    compose a message to yourself and paste the embedded codes
    send the message
    wait until you get your own message
    it should look just like the embedded codes you sent BUT with an active hyperlink in the middle
    click the link and the video should load in a new tab
    works great
    04-20-11 11:02 PM
    As true as this portion maybe.. eventually, Hulu will just make an app.. and then at that point, the intelligent are no longer at their mercy. I live in Canada where Hulu does not work at all, yet.. I have Hulu Plus..and I watch Hulu on every device that is capable of it.

One app, and one American VPN is all it takes.
    Hulu Plus is not FREE. So, while you're watching Hulu shows, you can't argue that having the same FREE Hulu you do on your PC on your tablet wouldn't have been nice to maintain. I think that's the point here. Also, everyone was all "You don't need apps with the super duper browser we'll have." Well, we'll see just how many other companies don't decide to sniff out the clientid off the PB and block it like they do every other mobile device.

It's a crap thing to do to users, but I bet there's a few people out there laughing now as all these Flash content sites all of a sudden become useless. Steve is probably one of them. The bad thing is all these companies doing this will actually cause lost sales of the PB because in the end there will be no real benefit to having the PB because even though the browser is natively superior, it's been rendered just as limited as the other platform browsers were natively.

You see, RIM overlooked one small detail about the bigger picture here. And that is, unless you're the big fish in the pond that can steer the direction of standardization for a newly introduced platform, be prepared to have all your capabilities negated by other companies at a whim. The basic principal is that larger companies like Microsoft or Apple could have a larger pull with these other services type places if they did some kind of partnership or exclusivity deal with them. Heck, sheer market popularity for a platform could be enough to steer the media companies into just allowing the services in leu of catching bad press from like everyone in the world because everyone has this one particular platform.

RIM's not big enough to have this kind of pull I don't believe and we're also pretty sure (at least I am) that RIM's not the kind of company that'll publicly fire back bad press at all these places that are killing off the PB before it can even stretch its legs. I don't see Mike standing up and giving Hulu the finger on CNN and rallying up the public into thinking Hulu is the bad guy for kicking them in the balls like this. This is the stuff Mike should be all "This isn't fair!" about on camera. Somehow I don't see this happening however.
    04-20-11 11:16 PM
    [...]
    RIM's not big enough to have this kind of pull I don't believe and we're also pretty sure (at least I am) that RIM's not the kind of company that'll publicly fire back bad press at all these places that are killing off the PB before it can even stretch its legs. [...]
    Somehow I don't see this happening however.
    Well, not so fast. This is just the initial reaction. With enough popularity, (and there are still millions of BB loyalists), other sites will spring up enticing the Hulu miss. The competition becomes more pronounced and Apple will either Hulu will either conform or fade.

Remember what happened to myspace.
    04-20-11 11:38 PM
    I've said it elsewhere and I'll say it again:

All RIM has to do is add an option to the browser to disguise itself as something like Firefox on Windows and all doors will magically open. And there will be nothing Hulu or whoever else can do.
    04-20-11 11:43 PM
    I've said it elsewhere and I'll say it again:

All RIM has to do is add an option to the browser to disguise itself as something like Firefox on Windows and all doors will magically open. And there will be nothing Hulu or whoever else can do.
    Actually, it's a bit more complicated than you seem to think. It's not a simple matter of altering your user-agent string or disguising the browser. The Flash plugin reports which OS it is running on, and Hulu blocks based on that.

And too, you'll never see RIM provide a method to disguise anything about it's system and products. That would be a suicide move in the mobile industry as support for the BB would plummet. A 3rd party browser may offer the ability to change the user-agent string to not advertise it's not on a BB platform, but RIM's browser won't.
    Last edited by rmjones101; 04-21-11 at 12:58 AM.
    howarmat likes this.
    04-21-11 12:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD