Did anyone notice the HTML5test.com scores for the new Chrome beta for Android? Looks like, even with the mighty Chrome engine under the hood, the PB still beats out Android 4.0 in terms of HTML 5 compliance/compatibility:

PB OS 2 Native Browser: 344+9 Bonus
    Chrome for Android 4.0: 343+10 Bonus

Given all the fanfare associated with this latest Google release I thought it sort of funny that the PB continues to beat the pants off of virtually every competing tablet browser.

RCK
    02-08-12 01:23 PM
    Did anyone notice the HTML5test.com scores for the new Chrome beta for Android? Looks like, even with the mighty Chrome engine under the hood, the PB still beats out Android 4.0 in terms of HTML 5 compliance/compatibility:

PB OS 2 Native Browser: 344+9 Bonus

Given all the fanfare associated with this latest Google release I thought it sort of funny that the PB continues to beat the pants off of virtually every competing tablet browser.

RCK
    A version of PB 2.0 actually shows 354+9 for PB....With RIM'S heavy commitment to HTML5. It wouldn't be unlikely for BB10 to take the crown across the board Eclipsing that of even Chrome Desktop is a very reasonable likelihood .QNX Software Systems is currently collaborating with those at the forefront pushing HTML5 Forward in the industry.

See the beginning of the video

Last edited by missing_K-W; 02-08-12 at 01:42 PM.
    ewakil12 and Kingkracker like this.
    02-08-12 01:33 PM
    Hadn't seen that one yet! Looks awesome! Can't wait for the RTM drop! :-)

RCK
    02-08-12 01:54 PM
    Hadn't seen that one yet! Looks awesome! Can't wait for the RTM drop! :-)

RCK
    I'm super pumped aswell. RIM is investing greatly in HTML5, specifically for their initiative to push BB10 into the embedded device market(as well as support QNX Neutrino clientele), which is settling on HTML5 as the industry standard. Think BB10 infotainment systems being supplied to QNX'S Automobile OEM clientele in cars etc...The ripple effect of this is utilizing their acquired expertise in pushing HTML5 Forward in our beloved browser QNX "NEEDS" to have the most extensive HTML5 Support for other initiatives, which we BB customers reap the fruit of
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 02-08-12 at 02:14 PM.
    02-08-12 02:07 PM
    So help me understand. Does this mean the PB will currently have the best/fastest HTML5 browser (+ flash) in the tablet market?
    02-08-12 02:21 PM
    It actually means the most capable browser, maybe not the fastest but the most usable one. It has Flash support and let's you use it like a desktop browser. Most other tablets have crippled browsers and cannot use Flash content, thus relying on apps to compensate.
    Kingkracker likes this.
    02-08-12 02:27 PM
    A version of PB 2.0 actually shows 354+9 for PB....With RIM'S heavy commitment to HTML5.
    I had the Beta 2.0.711 on my old PlayBook for a couple days this week and the 354+9 was the score I was getting. It would get the lower score and then a few seconds later after one of the functionality tests finished the score bumped up. My Beta was loaded about two days ago after the servers were back up.
    Last edited by robsteve; 02-08-12 at 02:37 PM.
    02-08-12 02:31 PM
    In away the browser highlights the power of the QNX platform...It allows RIM to up the performance of a mobile device, and deliver what RIM refers to as an uncompromised experience(The way the web is intended to be experienced ). Which is true to a very large degree...Other platforms such as a particular fruit company leaves the end user with a fragmented /compromised experience relying on apps to experience websites to their best potential on the platform. IMHO, this is a very inefficient means of utilizing the web....I prefer to use websites as intended. Some may argue in favor of the website app experience, however IMHO it creates an unnecessary step that interferes with what should be a seamless experience.

Advanced HTML5 support also allows for certain things as 3D support etc. in the browser, and building web apps that will incorporate the browser more and more in the future.I'm no expert on the matter, so I can't dive to deeply into the subject . What I do is follow QNX developments and their future prospects and share this with the forum.
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 02-08-12 at 02:53 PM.
    BrizzadMan likes this.
    02-08-12 02:47 PM
    So help me understand. Does this mean the PB will currently have the best/fastest HTML5 browser (+ flash) in the tablet market?
    Not the fastest but the most capable browser. Which I would say is better. Compair an iPad2 vs a PlayBook on a major flash or even java intensive site. the iPad will load the page WAY faster then the PlayBook. However when you go to use that site on the iPad you find that it didn't load half the page, & what you do have either doesn't work at all, or is crippled. Meanwhile the Playbook will play everything as if it was on your home computer.
    02-08-12 03:04 PM
    PB OS 2 Native Browser: 354+9 Bonus

Does anyone know where we loose that extra "Bonus Point"?
    02-08-12 03:08 PM
    I already understand that we have Flash and the benefits over some competitors that don't have Flash. Sorry if my question was misleading to some.
    I just want to understand HTML5 a little more. Will it always be better on the PB or, as device hardware improves so to will HTML5 scores. How is it all related?
    02-08-12 03:36 PM
    I'm on .7111 and I'm still getting just 344+9. Perhaps they updated something in the newer version of the beta download (I got mine when .7111 first came out) but just didn't change the overall build number? Is there any way to tell if this is in fact the case?

RCK
    02-08-12 03:40 PM
    I already understand that we have Flash and the benefits over some competitors that don't have Flash. Sorry if my question was misleading to some.
    I just want to understand HTML5 a little more. Will it always be better on the PB or, as device hardware improves so to will HTML5 scores. How is it all related?
    HTML5 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The test reflects how well the standard is supported on the browser.....The higher the score the broader and more extensive the capabilities.
    pmccartney likes this.
    02-08-12 03:50 PM
    Not the fastest but the most capable browser. Which I would say is better. Compair an iPad2 vs a PlayBook on a major flash or even java intensive site. the iPad will load the page WAY faster then the PlayBook. However when you go to use that site on the iPad you find that it didn't load half the page, & what you do have either doesn't work at all, or is crippled. Meanwhile the Playbook will play everything as if it was on your home computer.
    I appreciate all of these comments because I too am not knowledgeable about this subject. You indicate it will play everything like a home computer. On Sunday for the Super Bowl NBC was streaming the football game online but it would not work on the PB (I tried simplebrower plus and securebrowser both) because it was saying I needed silverlight on the PB. Will this still be true with the new 2.0? I know this is a little off the subject but as I indicated I don't know that much about HTML5.
    02-08-12 03:56 PM
    It's weird that I get differing results in SimpleBrowser+ just by changing the user agent. What exactly is it testing or detecting differently?
    02-08-12 04:00 PM
    I appreciate all of these comments because I too am not knowledgeable about this subject. You indicate it will play everything like a home computer. On Sunday for the Super Bowl NBC was streaming the football game online but it would not work on the PB (I tried simplebrower plus and securebrowser both) because it was saying I needed silverlight on the PB. Will this still be true with the new 2.0? I know this is a little off the subject but as I indicated I don't know that much about HTML5.
    Silverlight is a different issue altogether...for tablets..
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...owl-pb-694935/
    02-08-12 04:01 PM
    Silverlight is a software development platform by Microsoft. It is also a browser plug-in...RIM currently doesn't support silverlight. Hopefully there is a possibility of support in the future. Not sure how it effects tablets currently.
    02-08-12 04:03 PM
    thanks for the quick replies. I just know that by not having silverlight on the PB I could not watch the game on the PB. So I do not know if this will be a continuing problem we will face as various websites continue to use silverlight.

I love my PB but as some one who has had their PB from the beginning I am getting tired of features missing and my friends with IPADs can use theirs. I have a friend who is an IT person and when he heard I had a PB he told me he was sorry for me. I answered him back and said "why? I love my PB"
    02-08-12 04:25 PM
    Sorry I should have said "the Playbook will play everything almost as if it was on your home computer"
    Silverlight is a Microsoft plug-in that they released a few years ago to compete against Flash. It currently only works on Windows machines (& macs) There is an opensource effort to bring silverlight to more computers (& eventually mobiles) however it is still in development. For more info on this effort, google "moonlight runtime"
    02-08-12 04:44 PM
    I'm on .7111 and I'm still getting just 344+9. Perhaps they updated something in the newer version of the beta download (I got mine when .7111 first came out) but just didn't change the overall build number? Is there any way to tell if this is in fact the case?

RCK
    The 2.0 PlayBooks that RIM had at CES & now at DevCon EU are getting the 354+9 marks
    02-08-12 04:45 PM
    If anyone wants to see exactly where OS 2.0 BETA scored marks (and where it missed them) here it is. Note once OS 2.0 comes out of Beta it is going to score even higher.

And here is the comparison against other tablets. As you can see the PB scores by far the highest (and this is on top of also supporting Flash):

And here is how it compares against desktop browsers. As you can see only one desktop browser bests the PB:

02-08-12 05:26 PM
    two questions can playbook run this browser and also can play book run music unlimited for sony
    02-08-12 05:59 PM
    If anyone wants to see exactly where OS 2.0 BETA scored marks (and where it missed them) here it is. Note once OS 2.0 comes out of Beta it is going to score even higher.

Click to view quoted image

And here is the comparison against other tablets. As you can see the PB scores by far the highest (and this is on top of also supporting Flash):

And here is how it compares against desktop browsers. As you can see only one desktop browser bests the PB:

Umm, what? That screenshot shows, Chrome Beta, not the PB, as the highest-scoring. >_>
    02-11-12 05:37 PM
    Umm, what? That screenshot shows, Chrome Beta, not the PB, as the highest-scoring. >_>
    No it doesn't. Check the first screenshot for what the PB is actually scoring. What is listed in the second screenshot is not the same, they are clearing going off an old beta.
    02-11-12 05:43 PM
    No it doesn't. Check the first screenshot for what the PB is actually scoring. What is listed in the second screenshot is not the same, they are clearing going off an old beta.
    Oh OK. That is quite impressive then, what with all the tech bloggers' dismissing and insults of RIM.
    02-11-12 06:28 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD