HP derides BlackBerry PlayBook OS as a 'fast imitation' of webOS, RIM says it's just good UI design -- Engadget

HP has a point, but they can't even do the gesture on their on tablet. RIM took their idea and did it better.
    03-01-11 04:42 PM
    HP has lost their way. They built a Windows tablet and then couldn't deliver.
    03-01-11 04:46 PM
    I supported HP and Palm for a while, had two phones. HP now pulls out two pre phones and don't even redo the keyboard. Pathetic. Then their webos tablet can't even do gestures, copying the ipad home button and run like crap on the videos. Good luck to them, they will need it.
    03-01-11 04:48 PM
    its clearly webOS like and i think that is exactly what alot of people noticed first off. we just have to see how HP does with the real thing
    03-01-11 04:59 PM
    HP derides BlackBerry PlayBook OS as a 'fast imitation' of webOS, RIM says it's just good UI design -- Engadget

HP has a point, but they can't even do the gesture on their on tablet. RIM took their idea and did it better.
    The very first video of the PB I watched last year led me to comment immediately on this forum that the UI reminded me of WebOS--and that's a GOOD THING!!! I love the swipe-up-to-close gesture.
    Rello likes this.
    03-01-11 05:12 PM
    its clearly webOS like and i think that is exactly what alot of people noticed first off. we just have to see how HP does with the real thing
    giving credit where its due, iOS safari `pages` were first before webOS.

there thats a positive (kinda) post towards apple from me, it must be gettin late lol
    03-01-11 05:36 PM
    HP is just jealous that rim only paid a fraction for qnx not like palm one billion what a joke lol!
    Another thing what took them so long tO comment on this ?
    That's the real question
    03-01-11 06:04 PM
    Yes, the gesture to close app may be Palm's idea but what UI element is Palm's original idea? Those windowed apps sitting side by side?! No, there is nothing new there. It seems that if you give something a familiar name ("cards"), you are more likely to be credited for the invention of the said thing, even though it's not true.
    03-01-11 06:31 PM
    WebOS just brought the desktop metaphor of "windows" to mobile. Its not like Palm came up with the idea of small windows showing you your applications current state. The windows Vista taskbar & task switcher both had this first. Palm made an evolutionary improvement to mobile OS's to include a simple windowing system. They didn't invent it. End of story.

RIM copied Palm, Palm copied Windows, Windows copied Apple, Apple copied Xerox.
    03-01-11 06:32 PM
    WebOS just brought the desktop metaphor of "windows" to mobile. Its not like Palm came up with the idea of small windows showing you your applications current state. The windows Vista taskbar & task switcher both had this first. Palm made an evolutionary improvement to mobile OS's to include a simple windowing system. They didn't invent it. End of story.

RIM copied Palm, Palm copied Windows, Windows copied Apple, Apple copied Xerox.
    you're entering highly debatable territory there
    03-01-11 06:33 PM
    HP is likely in the worst spot of all competitors. Well maybe Microsoft with Windows 7 and no tablet strategy.

HP announced no enterprise support for WebOS so you assume they will rely on Exchange ActiveSync. Many large companies no longer use EAS so unsure who they are going after as Apple has most of the consumer mindshare. Palm was last popular in the late 90's. WebOS was a decent OS but they never did anything with it and ran out of money for it to succeed. HP is like 3 years late to a very rough environement.

Apple - Consumers
    Android - plethora of vendors / choice
    RIM - Leader in enterprise and a sizable consumer market
    Microsoft - Rebooting their mobile OS
    Nokia - Leaving their OS, going with Microsoft OS
    HP - WebOS

Where is HP going to get interest from? I was in the RIM should buy Palm camp but QNX was the right move. It gives them more options and with Playbook have a UI that people won't whine is basic.
    03-01-11 06:55 PM
    HP is likely in the worst spot of all competitors. Well maybe Microsoft with Windows 7 and no tablet strategy.

HP announced no enterprise support for WebOS so you assume they will rely on Exchange ActiveSync. Many large companies no longer use EAS so unsure who they are going after as Apple has most of the consumer mindshare. Palm was last popular in the late 90's. WebOS was a decent OS but they never did anything with it and ran out of money for it to succeed. HP is like 3 years late to a very rough environement.

Apple - Consumers
    Android - plethora of vendors / choice
    RIM - Leader in enterprise and a sizable consumer market
    Microsoft - Rebooting their mobile OS
    Nokia - Leaving their OS, going with Microsoft OS
    HP - WebOS

Where is HP going to get interest from? I was in the RIM should buy Palm camp but QNX was the right move. It gives them more options and with Playbook have a UI that people won't whine is basic.
    Agreed.

I still wonder what exactly is HP/Palm offering as differentiation. What is its selling point?

RIM at least has enterprise and security.

Google has reach and choice, with its army of manufacturers making hundreds of different models.

Microsoft and Nokia has each other and $$$ ;-)

What exactly is HP bringing to the table?
    03-01-11 07:22 PM
    I hated a bit when I came to know RIM decided to lower their bid for Palm from their initial offer of $1.2 billion and latter they completely withdrew the bid. I was happy when I learnt they acquired QNX as I had worked on a project that involved QNX at the school and knew QNX as a powerful embedded OS. But after hearing Dan Dodge speak at the DevCon I was uber existed and realized where they are going with QNX and the future of the Blackberry. Though a much needed move on RIM's part to acquire Palm but they did a commendable job by thinking otherwise in that desperate situation. We shouldn't doubt RIM's intelligence, they are very astute and forward looking, they are putting the billion dollar from the Palm's bid towards right kind of use, they acquired QNX, Tat, Cellmania, Dataviz, Gist and still they may be left with another $600-$700 million to acquire some more interesting products and integrate them.
    Last edited by sf49ers; 03-01-11 at 08:06 PM.
    03-01-11 08:03 PM
    The very first video of the PB I watched last year led me to comment immediately on this forum that the UI reminded me of WebOS--and that's a GOOD THING!!! I love the swipe-up-to-close gesture.
    Totally agree. There is definitely some borrowed ideas coming from WebOS....and Im perfectly fine with that. I loved WebOS when I first saw it and I've always said that I would definitely be interested in tryin a WebOS device if RIM didn't deliver me something soon, and if (at the time) Palm could deliver something compelling.

Personally though, while i feel there are similarities, I do believe RIM simply took an idea and made it better. I wanna see WebOS multitask like that...
    03-01-11 08:54 PM
    HP/Palm has every right to take a shot at RIM. When I first saw QNX, I thought I was almost seeing a KIRF knock-off of webOS (of course with a lot more quality than the standard KIRF). I agree with others, so far QNX does look to be a better implementation of Palms idea (at least with the ability of the multitasking) in some ways.
    03-01-11 09:17 PM
    HP/Palm has every right to take a shot at RIM. When I first saw QNX, I thought I was almost seeing a KIRF knock-off of webOS (of course with a lot more quality than the standard KIRF). I agree with others, so far QNX does look to be a better implementation of Palms idea (at least with the ability of the multitasking) in some ways.
    I guess now we wait and see who does more with it now lol
    03-01-11 09:30 PM
    I guess now we wait and see who does more with it now lol
    Exactly. Now it's just a waiting game. I dont think Palm/HP is going to sit still and watch another company make a better version of their OS. At least for competitions sake I hope they don't.
    03-01-11 09:33 PM
    I hated a bit when I came to know RIM decided to lower their bid for Palm from their initial offer of $1.2 billion and latter they completely withdrew the bid. I was happy when I learnt they acquired QNX as I had worked on a project that involved QNX at the school and knew QNX as a powerful embedded OS. But after hearing Dan Dodge speak at the DevCon I was uber existed and realized where they are going with QNX and the future of the Blackberry. Though a much needed move on RIM's part to acquire Palm but they did a commendable job by thinking otherwise in that desperate situation. We shouldn't doubt RIM's intelligence, they are very astute and forward looking, they are putting the billion dollar from the Palm's bid towards right kind of use, they acquired QNX, Tat, Cellmania, Dataviz, Gist and still they may be left with another $600-$700 million to acquire some more interesting products and integrate them.
    Maybe put into a serious marketing campaign? One to rival that of Google or Apple?
    Last edited by drjay868; 03-01-11 at 09:45 PM.
    03-01-11 09:41 PM
    Exactly. Now it's just a waiting game. I dont think Palm/HP is going to sit still and watch another company make a better version of their OS. At least for competitions sake I hope they don't.
    I don't know.........I personally would've thought that they might have added something UI-wise to WebOS 3.0. I mean, the UI on the Playbook has been known since september. Why have they waited until now to say that RIM copied them? I feel like if HP really wanted to show they're better than RIM, they could've beat them to market, and did some sort of a UI upgrade to WebOS 3.0 to take advantage of the bigger screen. I mean, im just making suggestions that they could've done, but RIM really took their idea, added muscle to it, and seamlessly integrated it into the bezel of the device.

RIM took, no....RIM debo'd their idea and sprinted down the street with it lol ha ha
    03-01-11 09:57 PM
    RIM took, no....RIM debo'd their idea and sprinted down the street with it lol ha ha

Hahahhahahahhahahah lmaooo that was actually funny hahahahaha

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-02-11 12:53 AM
    Hahahhahahahhahahah lmaooo that was actually funny hahahahaha

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    lol........
    03-02-11 04:46 PM
    I don't know.........I personally would've thought that they might have added something UI-wise to WebOS 3.0. I mean, the UI on the Playbook has been known since september. Why have they waited until now to say that RIM copied them? I feel like if HP really wanted to show they're better than RIM, they could've beat them to market, and did some sort of a UI upgrade to WebOS 3.0 to take advantage of the bigger screen. I mean, im just making suggestions that they could've done, but RIM really took their idea, added muscle to it, and seamlessly integrated it into the bezel of the device.

Yes I do find it odd that they waited till now to say something.
    03-02-11 05:14 PM
    exactly......they should've said that since day one....Not six months later ha
    03-03-11 01:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD