I'll be giving my pb an extra hug before putting it to bed tonight (with Todays Alarm Clock running of course).

I can only imagine how hp tab owners must feel.

HP's tablet now $100
    08-22-11 09:31 PM
    While u think it's a fail, most who bought it at that price think it's a treasure!
    Why? So they can load Android OS!
    mustangv8 likes this.
    08-22-11 09:34 PM
    for $99 i would say its the win of the year
    mustangv8 and _StephenBB81 like this.
    08-22-11 09:35 PM
    The only FAIL when it comes to that tablet is Leo Apotheker and his clowns. HP stock plunged 20% after they announced they were going to quit the TouchPad and spin off their other hardware.
    08-22-11 09:38 PM
    At least tp get native email at launch..: D

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    mustangv8 likes this.
    08-22-11 09:56 PM
    If may not even mattered but they just zoom their marketshare to potentially number 3.

Not that it matters as webos is dead.
    08-22-11 10:00 PM
    While u think it's a fail, most who bought it at that price think it's a treasure!
    Maybe I should pick one up and ask my 'hacker' friend to do just that...
    08-22-11 10:11 PM
    I'll be giving my pb an extra hug before putting it to bed tonight (with Todays Alarm Clock running of course).

I can only imagine how hp tab owners must feel.

HP's tablet now $100
    You can imagine how the pc owners must feel, oops HP's not bleeding cash and margin as quick as RIM.

Who would want an overpriced playbook when you can get a couple touchpad 32gb and still have cash left over.

Playbooks going new for $350 on ebay, yet still most don't sell.
    08-22-11 10:14 PM
    I'm not putting Android on mine. I prefer WebOS.
    08-22-11 10:14 PM
    I picked up one of these. For $99 I thought it dumb not to. Never used WEB OS before but this is a sharp little tablet!

ZING! at that native email jab. It's funny cause it's true. I owned a playbook for a little under five hours. T'was a HOS*.

* Hunk of ****.
    08-22-11 10:24 PM
    Well, for $99 bucks you can get Skype, email, and Angry Birds on that tablet with zero additional dollars. It's definitely not my tablet of choice, but for the price I grabbed two.

Honestly I'm curious what this whole fire sale thing will end up doing to the tablet playing field. Apple will still rule the installed base roost, but now what is the pecking order after them?

Here's another good question, seen any people who got it for $99 complaining about it?
    08-23-11 12:19 AM
    Honestly I'm curious what this whole fire sale thing will end up doing to the tablet playing field. Apple will still rule the installed base roost, but now what is the pecking order after them?

Apple did not create a demand for tablets. They created a demand for iPads. Everything else doesn't really matter.

Unless, of course, someone is willing to sell a tablet for half of what it cost to make.
    08-23-11 02:31 AM
    HP had some failures this year, but 6 weeks of the Touchpad did not make them decide to get out of the consumer space altogether. The HP PSG was billions bigger than Palm within HP.
    08-23-11 02:32 AM
    Since HP ditched webOS, and the Palm phones, and the TouchPad... is it safe to say they spent $1.2 billions in vane? Just curious...
    Last edited by Capitan Totti; 08-23-11 at 03:15 AM.
    08-23-11 02:50 AM
    Looks the Ipad finally has some decent competition
    08-23-11 02:50 AM
    For anyone who purchased for $99.99 in store, did the sales person say anything about the future of the device?

Just wondering.
    08-23-11 08:03 AM
    I know I posted this elsewhere, but in case you missed it, I thought it fit this thread well:

By-the-way, they are still $399 for 16GB at BestBuy in Canada
    Last edited by Slalom; 08-23-11 at 08:47 AM.
    08-23-11 08:37 AM
    Nope. No one's complaining. They're selling like hotcakes. Most people will use it just to play media and browse. It will definitely hurt sales of Tablets coming out that cost 5x as much as these things are selling for...
    howarmat likes this.
    08-23-11 08:42 AM
    for $99 i would say its the win of the year
    If I could have got one I would have jumped on it.

What SUCKS is futureshop employee's last Wednesday were offered HP Touchpads for $129.99 employee discount, then Saturday they announce $99 I know a few upset FS employee's but heck they still like they have a play tablet for less than $200 with taxes
    08-23-11 08:58 AM
    And how many of those are actually going to do that (or even aware that Android can be put on it) ? There was a census Google ran not long ago and only 2% of Android users actually rooted their device.
    08-23-11 08:59 AM
    For anyone who purchased for $99.99 in store, did the sales person say anything about the future of the device?

Just wondering.
    It's $99 for a reason, there is no future for the device.

Nope. No one's complaining. They're selling like hotcakes. Most people will use it just to play media and browse. It will definitely hurt sales of Tablets coming out that cost 5x as much as these things are selling for...
    It's been done before with other products, it doesn't really hurt sales of similar products, people just naturally want stuff for cheap (don't you?).
    kbz1960 likes this.
    08-23-11 09:00 AM
    I picked up 2 as well...16GB for the wife and 32GB for myself all for $250....can't beat that at all. It won't replace my Playbook for when I'm out and about since it's pretty hefty in comparison but I will most def use it for couch surfing! It's a pretty slick tablet although the UI's not as fluid/smooth as the Playbook. The email/calendar integration is top notch AND it has native IM/Skype and I absolutely love the App Store (not the amount of apps but the App Store app itself). RIM needs to hurry up and play catch up to this now defunct tablet.

I'm not sure if I will port over Honeycomb once that project gets completed since I really like WebOS, but if they get Ice Cream Sandwich on it I think I'll make the switch.

If you haven't picked one up yet and are interested, monitor the SlickDeals.net forum...new deals for it are getting posted all of the time and HP announced that they will be releasing a second wave of their stock for sale soon, so there will be more on the market.
    08-23-11 09:01 AM
    I tried a store locator for the whole province of Ontario and there are none in stock. I spoke to one of the stores and they said they have no plans to restock?? What about all the units in the warehouse?? Are they not going to unload those??
    08-23-11 09:38 AM
    I tried a store locator for the whole province of Ontario and there are none in stock. I spoke to one of the stores and they said they have no plans to restock?? What about all the units in the warehouse?? Are they not going to unload those??
    I heard they've struck a deal with Atari and will bury them with ET.
    08-23-11 09:44 AM
    Sudbury and Thunder Bay Ontario both had stock yesterday, but I couldn't get any of my customers to go get me one haha

as for the warehouses, I would bet you they cleared those out with Employee sales the week earlier, to both the Employee's of the distribution centre as well as the Employee's of the retail chains,

my Aunt works for Ingram Micro, a company that supplies Futureshop and Best Buy, they get liquidation deals for employee's and also the sales staff sometimes are able to sell products to liquidation outlets which is what I would have done if I was a sales guy and tried to liquidate at $99 to places that sell liquidated stuff so they could turn around and sell it for $150 and people who shop in those places would think it is a great price. as it would be.
    08-23-11 09:45 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD