Results 1 to 22 of 22
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By adblink
  • 1 Post By PatrickMJS
  • 1 Post By Rooster99
  • 1 Post By Jaiden
  1. adblink's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    54 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default HowTo: Sync Contacts from Outlook to Playbook

    Warning: I am just sharing the painless way I accomplished this task. It may not work for you as it totally depends on your email provider if this is going to work or not.

    I use Outlook and pop3 email accounts provided by my ISP. First thing you need to do is log on to the webmail server usually provided on the hosts website. Look around for something that says "Import/Export", mine was found under the "Preferences" section. I had the option of importing .csv files from outlook for contacts and calendar. If you can't find it, or they don't provide that feature then unfortunately your journey ends here.

    //edit It appears google also has the Import/Export feature! So you should be able to use your gmail account to accomplish this.

    Next, go into Outlook and select the "Contacts" tab at the bottom left. Next go to File --> Import and Export --> Export to a File --> Comma Separated Values (DOS) --> Select "Contacts" in the folder tree --> Choose a location and SAVE.

    Back in my webmail in the import/export section, I just browsed for that .csv file outlook created, uploaded...and boom. All my contacts on the playbook. Of course the email account you are choosing to upload the .csv file to must be registered with the playbook. The calendar can be sent to the playbook the same way. No need for any google software or giving a 3rd party program access to your gmail account.

    Again I realize this might not work for everyone but if it helps a few people then I'm glad
    Last edited by adblink; 02-21-2012 at 10:26 PM.
    Thanked by 3:
    BBplaybookJS (02-26-2012),  beerjay (02-28-2012),  Boight (02-26-2012) 
  2. #2  

    Default

    I still don't know how my contacts migrated (sync-ed, copied, magically appeared) to the new native contact app. They were not there as I tried looking for a switch or button or setting. I then setup two of my (too many) email accounts. Then checked some threads on the subject. Next I went looking again and my contacts were there.

    The calendar was a different matters - I did a google sync (so now they know even more about me) with Outlook and then the gmail account fixed up my Calendar.
  3. cntrydncr223's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,773 Posts
    #3  

    Default

    Thanks, but couldn't find any import/export options. gave up.
    “The true victory of Nichiren Buddhism is found in transforming misunderstanding into understanding, conflict into trust, and division into unity through the power of the Mystic Law.” ~ Daisaku Ikeda, SGI-USA President
  4. Rooster99's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,096 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,133 Global Posts
    #4  

    Default

    Sorry, but importing isn't the same as syncing. Wish it was. Sigh ...

    - R.
  5. adblink's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    54 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

    Default

    meh, you can call it whatever you want. Point is RIM is ******** for making us jump through hoops to accomplish this, and this method I found took the least about of time and was super easy.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
  6. whitbags's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    392 Posts
    #6  

    Default

    Problem with calendar is it doesn't support recurring items - very irritating indeed.
  7. Chris Bishop's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    21 Posts
    #7  

    Default

    So for 10 mins (2?) all are at the same point in time. Change something on the PB - Contact or appointmnet. How do you get it back to Outlook & BB ? I think I'm going to have to stick with Bridged apps. Native isn't going to work - or am I missing something?
    Chris
  8. eds817's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,365 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,598 Global Posts
    PIN
    295E4D69
    #8  

    Default

    My work email is just a POP3 account and I have a Gmail account as well. I setup both on my PlayBook for email and I'm syncing my contacts and calendar with Gmail.

    For calendar I installed the Gmail calendar sync app. I went into the Gmail calendar and deleted all entries so that I started with a clean calendar. After installing the sync app I first did a 1-way sync from Outlook to Gmail. Once that was done I changed the sync to 2-way. I also turned off the PUSH setting for the Gmail account on the PlayBook and set the sync interval to 15 minutes. Once I did this my calendar showed up.

    As far as my contacts all I do now is export them from Outlook and go into with Gmail or Google Voice and first delete all the contacts then import the new file. I've been doing this for awhile so it's pretty simple and keeps both my Outlook and Gmail up to date.

    There's another option to sync contacts that can be found here. I have not tried the CNET app yet but plan to.
    New York Yankees
    It's Hard To Be Humble
  9. coyotelandingbird's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    30 Posts
    #9  

    Default

    I migrated everything to Gmail, then deleted calender and contact info off phone, set Gmail as default, now everything syncs properly across BB and PB.
  10. Rooster99's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,096 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,133 Global Posts
    #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bishop View Post
    So for 10 mins (2?) all are at the same point in time. Change something on the PB - Contact or appointmnet. How do you get it back to Outlook & BB ? I think I'm going to have to stick with Bridged apps. Native isn't going to work - or am I missing something?
    Chris
    This is what I mean about the difference between importing and syncing.

    - R.
  11. PatrickMJS's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,650 Posts
    #11  

    Default

    Man I thought "activesync" was supposed to be built into the new PB PIM and it would take care of this so we wouldn't. But, no, it looks we have to go thru these manual import steps or use Google sync (good as it is BTW).
    Last edited by PatrickMJS; 02-22-2012 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Slight re-wording
    Patrick from Calgary
    ------------------------------
    Z10 STL100-3, OS version 10.2.1.2141
    PB 64 GB, OS version 2.1.0.1526
  12. BrizzadMan's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    689 Posts
    Global Posts
    695 Global Posts
    #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickMJS View Post
    Man I thought "activesync" was supposed to be built into the new PB PIM and it would take care of this so we wouldn't. But, no, it looks we have to go thru these manual import steps or use Google sync (good as it is BTW).
    "ActiveSync" is for Exchange servers & is not used in GMAIL. If you use Exchange, your contacts are stored on the server - and are pulled into the PlayBook via ActiveSync without any issue.

    If you store your contacts on the GMAIL servers, you will not have any issues.

    If you store your contacts on your computer, in Outlook, you will need to do as the OP states; import your contacts into the mailbox the PB looks @!

    The PlayBook is only looking @ your mailbox in a cloud somwhere - if there are no contacts in that mailbox... don't expect magic.
  13. PatrickMJS's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,650 Posts
    #13  

    Default

    Oh Brizzad man, such a precious answer you gave me. "ooooh if you don't have any contacts in your mailbox, don't expect magic!!!". I bow down in awe at your techy prowess.

    Look, my bb torch has all my email addresses, their passwords, their contacts & their calendars. My torch is connected to my pb via bluetooth. Alls I was saying was RIM could have used all those bits and connected/sync'd 'em so I didn't have to download and install Google sync onto my phone to do the same thing. Your response illustrates the typical BB attitude that less user friendly programming is better, and more hoops you have to go thru to get something done is better cuz we're all so smart and savvy and hip with the lingo.

    Consumers are not using Exchange. Most don't even know what it is nor understand the difference between BIS & BES and don't want to know it either. So I'm sorry that I hoped os 2 would deploy activesync or [insert name of some other piece of software/jargon] to link my torch and my pb PIM stuff for me, like I said without needing to go thru Google sync... But oh well it is what it is. Thanks so much for chiming in.
    Last edited by PatrickMJS; 02-22-2012 at 12:33 PM.
    Patrick from Calgary
    ------------------------------
    Z10 STL100-3, OS version 10.2.1.2141
    PB 64 GB, OS version 2.1.0.1526
    skynny70 likes this.
  14. Rooster99's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,096 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,133 Global Posts
    #14  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickMJS View Post
    Oh Brizzad man, such a precious answer you gave me. "ooooh if you don't have any contacts in your mailbox, don't expect magic!!!". I bow down in awe at your techy prowess.

    Look, my bb torch has all my email addresses, their passwords, their contacts & their calendars. My torch is connected to my pb via bluetooth. Alls I was saying was RIM could have used all those bits and connected/sync'd 'em so I didn't have to download and install Google sync onto my phone to do the same thing. Your response illustrates the typical BB attitude that less user friendly programming is better, and more hoops you have to go thru to get something done is better cuz we're all so smart and savvy and hip with the lingo.

    Consumers are not using Exchange. Most don't even know what it is nor understand the difference between BIS & BES and don't want to know it either. So I'm sorry that I hoped os 2 would deploy activesync or [insert name of some other piece of software/jargon] to link my torch and my pb PIM stuff for me, like I said without needing to go thru Google sync... But oh well it is what it is. Thanks so much for chiming in.
    Well said, very well said.

    Especially "Your response illustrates the typical BB attitude that less user friendly programming is better, and more hoops you have to go thru to get something done is better cuz we're all so smart and savvy and hip with the lingo."

    If anything's gonna kill RIM, it's that.

    - R.
    skynny70 likes this.
  15. cntrydncr223's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,773 Posts
    #15  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rooster99 View Post
    Sorry, but importing isn't the same as syncing. Wish it was. Sigh ...

    - R.
    I know.
    I meant from your first post you said...

    Quote Originally Posted by adblink View Post
    Look around for something that says "Import/Export"....... If you can't find it, or they don't provide that feature then unfortunately your journey ends here.
    And I was responding that I couldn't find it. That option wasn't available.
    I did manage to do the CVS file from outlook and import it into hotmail, but they require an ics file to be imported in. Unfortunately, outlook doesn't export isc files.

    And then I decided I wouldn't stop using outlook and didn't want hassle with all that. I will just use the bridge.

    I was just speaking "bottom line" in an uncharacteristically non-long winded moment.
    “The true victory of Nichiren Buddhism is found in transforming misunderstanding into understanding, conflict into trust, and division into unity through the power of the Mystic Law.” ~ Daisaku Ikeda, SGI-USA President
  16. L8Guy's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    23 Posts
    #16  

    Default

    Thanks Adblink !!!!!!! I am one of those people that don't know a bis from a bes. I am also one of those people that are concerned about google invading my privacy. I did want to get my contacts over to the PB and your method was very easy. Once in PB, I realy don't need it to synch since I can just add what I want or change whatever else I want. The point was to just get those contacts over. SFter this was accomplished, I merely deleted the gmail account I set up just for that.

    Many Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  17. deerswold's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    1 Posts
    #17  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whitbags View Post
    Problem with calendar is it doesn't support recurring items - very irritating indeed.
    It does support recurring items look above the reminder button
  18. dtong22's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    26 Posts
    #18  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coyotelandingbird View Post
    I migrated everything to Gmail, then deleted calender and contact info off phone, set Gmail as default, now everything syncs properly across BB and PB.
    I did the same. But it does not syn. A Win7 tablet may do that though I am sure

    Daniel
  19. lungdoc's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    #19  

    Default

    For those that use Sympatico or other email providers that use hotmail (if your webmail is hotmail) it is much better to setup Sympatico as a hotmail account. The email is then synced and not just downloaded. If you use Outlook Hotmail Connector you can do the same for your computers and the calendar, contacts and mail will be synced eg to home and work pc or desktop and laptop as well as on the PB. If you don't use hotmail connector you can still do one time uploads of contacts or calendar to hotmail and thus to the Playbook.
  20. pickles#WP's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    118 Posts
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    #20  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whitbags View Post
    Problem with calendar is it doesn't support recurring items - very irritating indeed.
    The Playbook's calendar allows you to designate whether an appt is recurring or not -- what do you mean when you say it doesn't support recurring items?
  21. Jaiden's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    29 Posts
    #21  

    Default I got this to work for me

    This worked for me. I use bell as me service provider (internet) @sympatico.ca email

    using windows vista, windows native email program

    Click contacts->click export->highlight CSV and click export->choose a name for the file and destination where you want to save the file (documents,desktop etc.)

    exported .csv file to my desktop

    Logged onto my @sympatico.ca web email account and imported the .csv file

    confirm the .csv file imported to @sympatico.ca

    Log out of @sympatico.ca

    On playbook, touch 'add new account->email,calander and contacts->advanced setup->hotmail

    Enter you info

    **username and email address must be your @sympatico.ca email

    **password must be your @sympatico.ca webmail logon password

    continue

    make sure all the sync items are set to on

    save info

    exit settings

    if your contacts don't show up right away, go back into settings, touch the edit pencil icon, select the sympatico email, calendar,contacts account, make sure all sync items are set to on and click save.

    This worked for me. good luck!
    HTC P4000 > Storm 9530 > Torch 9800 > Bold 9900 > Z10 + Playbook 64gb
    'It must be jelly 'cause jam don't shake that way!'
    dabbguy likes this.
  22. rob65r's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    15 Posts
    PIN
    281272B1
    #22  

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by adblink View Post
    Warning: I am just sharing the painless way I accomplished this task. It may not work for you as it totally depends on your email provider if this is going to work or not.

    I use Outlook and pop3 email accounts provided by my ISP. First thing you need to do is log on to the webmail server usually provided on the hosts website. Look around for something that says "Import/Export", mine was found under the "Preferences" section. I had the option of importing .csv files from outlook for contacts and calendar. If you can't find it, or they don't provide that feature then unfortunately your journey ends here.

    //edit It appears google also has the Import/Export feature! So you should be able to use your gmail account to accomplish this.

    Next, go into Outlook and select the "Contacts" tab at the bottom left. Next go to File --> Import and Export --> Export to a File --> Comma Separated Values (DOS) --> Select "Contacts" in the folder tree --> Choose a location and SAVE.

    Back in my webmail in the import/export section, I just browsed for that .csv file outlook created, uploaded...and boom. All my contacts on the playbook. Of course the email account you are choosing to upload the .csv file to must be registered with the playbook. The calendar can be sent to the playbook the same way. No need for any google software or giving a 3rd party program access to your gmail account.

    Again I realize this might not work for everyone but if it helps a few people then I'm glad
    This one worked for me. I have a Hotmail account and I followed the instructions to a tee and now my PB is exactly the way I want it!!! And to top it all off.. Google didn't get any of my info! I set it up in my PB to just sync the contacts and calendars. The emails remain on my 9860 unless I use the Bridge, of course. Thank you so much for this work around. Thank you!

Posting Permissions