I am "delaying" my PB purchase until a couple issues are resolved -- one of them is lack of Netflix app and/or Silverlight support...please refrain from "educating" me on all other, more important reasons to choose a PB over other tablets in this thread. For me, right/wrong/indifferent, my tablet needs to be able to be my media player. I ***WANT*** to purchase a Playbook ... and am looking to this community to share with me ways they are dealing with lack of Netflix...

Having said above, here is my question:

How are you getting movies onto your PB? I travel A LOT and hate paying for in hotel movies (that is why I subscribe to Netflix and use my laptop) ... I am looking at purchasing the Playbook (or other tablet) to replace my laptop -- the fact that PB has a mini-HDMI output makes it the "obvious" choice provided I have something to watch :-)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-11 09:49 PM
    epixhd is really good and you dont have to pay a dime if your cable company is supported.
    redk and moryc like this.
    08-11-11 09:54 PM
    I go directly to the websites of tv channels to watch. CTV/Global/BNN etc to watch what I want.
    Haven't really figured out a way to watch moveis other than through ekino.tv - this site allows you to watch movies. Haven't looked much either though.
    moryc and Rob Robertson like this.
    08-11-11 09:57 PM
    epixhd is really good and you dont have to pay a dime if your cable company is supported.
    Just checked out the site ... seems to be only in US?

Forgot to mention -- I am in Canada...on Cable TV via Rogers...

Needs to work in Canada ... that's why I am kinda big on the whole Netflix thing
    08-11-11 10:03 PM
    im sory man,yeah it only supports US residents.actually i rather download the movies through sites online directly from my playbook.
    08-11-11 10:10 PM
    im sory man,yeah it only supports US residents.actually i rather download the movies through sites online directly from my playbook.
    No worries what so ever, eh :-)

Thank you for your suggestion, and I am sure it will be useful to my friends south of the border

I forgot to mention that I am in Canada ... so its my bad
    08-11-11 10:12 PM
    I grab movie torrents (illegal) and also grab movies and shows off my Tivo (legal). I like to have things offline due to internet connection differences. Some hotels have great wifi, some are terrible. Sucks that most cable dvr's don't allow you to grab shows off them as this is where I get most content from lately.
    08-11-11 10:34 PM
    I go directly to the websites of tv channels to watch. CTV/Global/BNN etc to watch what I want.
    Haven't really figured out a way to watch moveis other than through ekino.tv - this site allows you to watch movies. Haven't looked much either though.
    ekino.tv works well on the Playbook?

Are you able to maximize the videos properly on the PB screen?
    Have you tried streaming ekino.tv to TV using the mini-HDMI?

The site I get is Polish when I go to ekino.tv ... interestingly, I am Polish, so this is all good -- also seems to have a great selection of contents for kids! That's a PLUS!

Thank you for making me aware of this site
    08-11-11 10:35 PM
    Crackle.com

veetle.com

Also, check the movie forum here on CB...
    moryc likes this.
    08-11-11 10:51 PM
    Your ekino.tv site works great. The vids that i have selected all seemed to pull from Megavideo (another video site that worked well). As long as there is an hdmi port in the tv I've found if it plays on the PB it displays on the tv well.
    08-11-11 11:43 PM
    Also, check the movie forum here on CB...
    I looked a few weeks ago and I didnt see anything specific for the PB, mostly for phones.
    08-11-11 11:52 PM
    i usually just dl movies and play it on the pb. the battery life (in case u are interested) is also excellent even on brightest screen and loudest speaker.
    08-12-11 12:13 AM
    i rip dvds and xfer them to my PB. takes time but quality is first rate. i wish i could mount a windows share to stream from... also i have a web site, i load my ripped dvds into my secure web and sometimes stream that way.
    08-12-11 02:36 AM
    Amazon movies work great on the PB.
    08-12-11 04:04 AM
    I rip my own movies from blu-ray to MP4 using Foxreal. If you have downloaded movies in avi format you can use Format Factory (free) to change to an MP4 with settings optimized for PB. I like to have content on the PB vs relying on getting a good wifi connection.

Like you, I am still anxiously awaiting Netflix!
    08-12-11 08:58 AM
    Another one to either rip movies from DVD or BluRay or downloading movies in mp4 or avi files. Cause as was stated, I would rather have content on the PB in case Wifi goes down, that is why I have the 32gb model, and move movies onto the PB if im going to be staying over somewhere
    08-12-11 09:35 AM
    Not a fan of Netflix/Streaming because Wi-Fi can be a PITA sometimes.

This is the reason why I have the 64GB, I just transfer my Collection.
    08-12-11 10:09 AM
    ekino.tv works well on the Playbook?

Are you able to maximize the videos properly on the PB screen?
    Have you tried streaming ekino.tv to TV using the mini-HDMI?

The site I get is Polish when I go to ekino.tv ... interestingly, I am Polish, so this is all good -- also seems to have a great selection of contents for kids! That's a PLUS!

Thank you for making me aware of this site
    The website is great - movies straight from the movies! Lots of selection.

I have not had any problems with streaming the videos on my PB screen (full screen or otherwise) as well as through my HDMI cable. Quality on some videos is poor, but thats what you get when you stream movies that are playing in theatres still.
    08-13-11 02:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD