I bought a new PlayBook vi a amazon so no problem returning it, but I have a suspicion it's not new like advertised. It came in a playbook box in and shrinkwrapped but I'm remembering when I got my first pb it came with vinyl cover, instructions earbuds, and warranty card, wiping cloth, and the screen had a protector on it. The one I just got has none of these. My question is. Can I check the serial number with BlackBerry to see if this has been used before. Thanks. Shouldnt a new pb that actually is new come with more than just the tablet and power cordd

Posted via CB10
    07-28-14 06:55 PM
    I don't recall it having shrink wrap. It is in a box with sleeve which has a sticker on the side which indicates if it has been opened or not. I will have to check my "new" Playbook at home to be sure.
    07-28-14 07:00 PM
    My box said new playbook but my suspicions are awakened when all thats inside the box is the tablet itself and powercord. Nothing else. Like I said my purchase 3 years ago had earbuds instructions wiping cloth etc. People are so bad now I can see where a business could try to sneak in selling a returned or refurbished one as new. Gotta be careful.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-14 07:16 PM
    Not shrinked wrapped. Original box in sleeve with sealed stickers at two ends. PB is in foam sleeve with screen protector with BB logo all over it. Bottom square indent holds instructions and wiping cloth. Rectangular indent holds USB power cable in sealed box. No ear buds. BBRY can tell if it has been registered or not by S/N. Hard to get a NIB these days. Maybe a open box return?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    07-28-14 09:13 PM
    If you have Battery Guru from your previous PlayBook, you can install it on your (supposedly) new PlayBook and run it. It'll show you how many charges it has.

Posted via CB10
    dmlis likes this.
    07-28-14 10:56 PM
    To see exactly how a brand new boxed PlayBook looks & what it contains, there are one or two videos on YouTube 'Unboxing the BlackBerry PlayBook'.

Re the check using the Battery Guru app, will a security wipe reduce the number of charges counter down to zero?
    Last edited by Bertie Bear; 07-29-14 at 07:29 AM.
    07-29-14 03:12 AM
    Well aftertalking to amazon customer support, I've discovered what is considered new to you and me is different to amazon third party companies. In other words returned items ie open box are considered new, even if used by another person forup to 30 days. But not by amazon 1st party companies though. Which means you should only buy 1st party if you really want something new, even though amazon allows third party to sell and claim anything they want to as new even though it is actually used even though new to them doesnt really mean new in the literal way, but is entirely subjective. If all this is confusing it is meant to be. To make a long story as short as possible I am returning my new (used) 64 gb playbook that I bought as new because actually it is used. Now to have a drink because of my headache

Posted via CB10
    Javid Gozalov and DrBoomBotz like this.
    07-29-14 07:07 PM
    Good info.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-14 09:26 PM
    Well aftertalking to amazon customer support, I've discovered what is considered new to you and me is different to amazon third party companies. In other words returned items ie open box are considered new, even if used by another person forup to 30 days. But not by amazon 1st party companies though. Which means you should only buy 1st party if you really want something new, even though amazon allows third party to sell and claim anything they want to as new even though it is actually used even though new to them doesnt really mean new in the literal way, but is entirely subjective. If all this is confusing it is meant to be. To make a long story as short as possible I am returning my new (used) 64 gb playbook that I bought as new because actually it is used. Now to have a drink because of my headache

Posted via CB10
    Ebay has the same thing. It's called "New-other". My order of preference is NIB, New-other, Factory Refurb, Seller Refurb, Used. Unless it is a great price or hard to get legacy equipment, I won't consider seller refurb or used.
    07-30-14 07:28 AM
    You forgot NOS, new old stock. I think today a new BP would,do qualify as NOS rather then NIB as kt is now an obsolete product. Persons many times get it wrong.
    07-30-14 01:49 PM
    There is no such thing as a "new" playbook. There are unused stock and used. Seems like you got a refurbished playbook. If you got a good deal, there are no physical imperfections, it works as advertised you may be better off. If it was refurbished there is a chance you got a new battery.
    07-31-14 10:00 AM
    Re the check using the Battery Guru app, will a security wipe reduce the number of charges counter down to zero?
    Having done a couple of wipes on mine, no, the count is untouched, and actually is sourced from the device's hardware, and therefore unchangable.
    08-01-14 04:45 PM
    Yup! Even it is first time that you use the Battery Guru to your more than 2-year old PlayBook, it will know how times you charged your PlayBook (since then) and it can tell your battery health...

Posted via CB10
    08-02-14 03:38 AM

Posted via CB10
    I would download battery guru to see how many charges it has taken. That's your best check,.cause as you said, and to be fair, floor models and returns can still be considered 'new', as in hardly used.
    08-02-14 03:21 PM