I may be way off base here but..........

Android, Inc. was founded in Palo Alto, California, United States in October, 2003

Google purchased the initial developer of the software, Android Inc., in 2005.

A preview release of the Android SDK was released on 12 November 2007

On 18 August 2008 the Android 0.9 SDK beta was released

On 23 September 2008 the Android 1.0 SDK (Release 1) was released

The first commercially available phone to run Android was the HTC Dream, released on 22 October 2008.

Dec 16 2009 App count reaches 20,000 but still lacks a desktop app discovery system

The version history of Apple iOS (formerly iPhone OS) began with the release of the iPhone on June 29, 2007

Apple's iOS did not have an official name until the release of the iPhone software development kit (iPhone SDK) on March 6, 2008.

The App Store opened on July 10, 2008 via an update to iTunes.

On July 10, 2008, Apple CEO Steve Jobs told USA Today that the App Store contained 500.000 third-party applications for the iPhone and the iPod Touch, and of these 25% were free

On April 9, 2010, Research In Motion announced they would acquire QNX Software Systems from Harman International Industries.

On Sept. 2010 RIM announces the playbook.

On April 19 2011 The playbook is released.

At the initial launch, between 2,000 and 3,000 apps were available from the BlackBerry App World, however, RIM states that as many as 3,000 additional apps have been submitted

Aug 5 2011 NDK beta comming soon

Are things suppose to move faster now compared to then. I have no idea what the apps were like for them either.

If I'm way off base you're welcome to knock me down.
    09-30-11 07:07 PM
    No you are spot on.Actually if anything QNX is moving faster than anyone else.Let's not worry about negativity.Good performance in Dev Con will change all that.

QNX will rule the mobile computing world.Will it do it next year, 2 years from now is irrelevant, it will happen.

Just name how many quality OS is out there.Very few.QNX is every bit as good as IOS and lot more powerful with ability to scale up.
    09-30-11 07:13 PM
    Man .. that post made my day!!

I didnt knew this timeline. thanks!
    Spencerdl likes this.
    09-30-11 07:25 PM
    all valid points OP. It did take time for iOS and Android to get its apps. The advantage was the ecosystems that existed at the time they started to release products were no near as robust as they are now. RIM is trying to break into a world where the 2 leading platforms have a couple hundred thousand apps already available to them. Having the android player release will possibly be the only thing that saves the PB really.

The touchpad and MS (mango) did the same really. MS seems to be gaining very nice app support and the touchpad also seemed to have decent support. WebOS support is not dead so you will continue to see stuff slowly.

Amazon will be bringing a new tablet to the market just like RIM did. They will have a huge ecosystem for it already in place too. all the books, games and apps you could want really.

If they are actually going to have a QNX phone later this year there will be NO app support for it again. consumers arent going to buy a phone and have to wait 6 months to have the apps slowly trickle in like they have for the PB. The android player will have to be heavily relied on.
    09-30-11 07:30 PM
    yes and we are up to iphone 5, ipad 3?
    Playbook 1 and only 6 months out, but people expect/demand a miracle.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 09-30-11 at 07:39 PM.
    metz9444 and sk8er_tor like this.
    09-30-11 07:37 PM
    Man .. that post made my day!!

I didnt knew this timeline. thanks!
    WOW, never looked at it by the numbers, and numbers don't LIE Thanks for the insight kbz1960
    Last edited by spencerdl; 09-30-11 at 07:47 PM.
    09-30-11 07:41 PM
    yes and we are up to iphone 5, ipad 3?
    Playbook 1 and only 6 months out, but people expect/demand a miracle.
    and we are on what?

torch 2
    bold 5
    storm 3
    curve 5

whats your point?
    09-30-11 07:43 PM
    and we are on what?

torch 2
    bold 5
    storm 3
    curve 5

whats your point?
    Point is I'm talking about playbook QNX vs ipad, and the expectations for them to have the same features, with different development spans - not phones. iOS was developed starting with iphone 1

iOS 2007
    QNX 2010
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 09-30-11 at 08:15 PM.
    09-30-11 07:45 PM
    and we are on what?

torch 2
    bold 5
    storm 3
    curve 5

whats your point?
    What's your point? We all know that bbos is not like or even close to iOS, android or QNX.

You do have a point about now people expect it when back then they didn't. Doesn't mean that good things aren't still to come................I hope lol.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 09-30-11 at 07:52 PM. Reason: it
    09-30-11 07:51 PM
    Point is I'm talking about playbook QNX vs ipad, and the expections of them to have the same features, with different development spans - not phones. iOS was developed starting with iphone 1

iOS 2007
    QNX 2010
    i agree to a point but i dont think autocorrect and organizing bookmarks should take over 1 year to figure out either. I wouldnt expect all the apps in the world to be available at launch or within 6 months but its those other little things that seem to be missing that make you scratch your head
    gravymonster likes this.
    09-30-11 07:53 PM
    How long did it take iphone to get text and copy and paste?
    ewakil12, metz9444 and sk8er_tor like this.
    09-30-11 07:55 PM
    all valid points OP. It did take time for iOS and Android to get its apps. The advantage was the ecosystems that existed at the time they started to release products were no near as robust as they are now. RIM is trying to break into a world where the 2 leading platforms have a couple hundred thousand apps already available to them. Having the android player release will possibly be the only thing that saves the PB really.

The touchpad and MS (mango) did the same really. MS seems to be gaining very nice app support and the touchpad also seemed to have decent support. WebOS support is not dead so you will continue to see stuff slowly.

Amazon will be bringing a new tablet to the market just like RIM did. They will have a huge ecosystem for it already in place too. all the books, games and apps you could want really.

If they are actually going to have a QNX phone later this year there will be NO app support for it again. consumers arent going to buy a phone and have to wait 6 months to have the apps slowly trickle in like they have for the PB. The android player will have to be heavily relied on.
    Leave it to howermat to say that a dead OS bas more potetential than the most advanced OS on the market.
    dcburke789 likes this.
    09-30-11 07:59 PM
    Well considering RIM waited about 2 to 3 years to actually start working towards getting an OS that could compete with the capabilities/apps/media but still have the security we're accustomed to, you are kinda glossing over that fact. When you are entering an existing market you either have to match features and quality, or undercut the competition with pricing, and RIM did neither. Google came in closer to iOS with features and apps (not as good) but they also came in much cheaper. RIM released a premium priced device missing a lot of features that people expected, then said they would be available soon, to no delivering and creating a PR disaster for themselves. They would probably had been better off waiting to release the Playbook at this DevCon, without any info leading up to it and have everything in the 2.0 OS + the NDK. It is what it is now and I hope 2.0 delivers the goods, but to think that RIM should get a pass and be allowed to take years to get where Apple and Google are now is a bit silly I think. Match or undercut. RIM needs to get lighter on its feet to adjust to a rapidly evolving market. I think/hope the TabletOS will get there.
    09-30-11 07:59 PM

possibly. But if only for myself concerning the QNX phone, my renewal will be up about when there should be a couple of models out and I will more than likely get one. Unlike the PB though, I will be able to make phone calls and have pim functions, so any lack of apps or functionality won't be as dire.
    09-30-11 08:01 PM
    How long did it take iphone to get text and copy and paste?
    i agree it wasnt there at launch. expectations have changed since 2007 also. most people expect a little more in there phones and tablets. You have to step up your game. We are not in a tablet OS 1.0 world for any company. This is why OS 2 so important.

If RIM gets OS 2 out the door within the next month and it actually delivers everything it suppose to and more then it really should be at a competive level. It will hopefully have android apps coming in along with hopefully much more QNX development also.
    09-30-11 08:04 PM
    Leave it to howermat to say that a dead OS bas more potetential than the most advanced OS on the market.
    i did not say that at all. but at this current moment it has some bigger name apps that the PB owners would like. WebOS is not dead. HP hardware support is.

possibly. But if only for myself concerning the QNX phone, my renewal will be up about when there should be a couple of models out and I will more than likely get one. Unlike the PB though, I will be able to make phone calls and have pim functions, so any lack of apps or functionality won't be as dire.
    ooh i agree you will have PIM in some way whether it be activesync or BIS/BES and i would guess many of the base functions of QNX will be completely worked out as well.
    Last edited by howarmat; 09-30-11 at 08:09 PM.
    09-30-11 08:06 PM
    Well considering RIM waited about 2 to 3 years to actually start working towards getting an OS that could compete with the capabilities/apps/media but still have the security we're accustomed to, you are kinda glossing over that fact. When you are entering an existing market you either have to match features and quality, or undercut the competition with pricing, and RIM did neither.

Very well said.RIM's CEOs have to take the responsibility.This is a management goof up.Really this should be a casestudy in MBA schools on How NOT to launch a product?

But QNX is QNX.No amount of management eff ups going to change that.
    09-30-11 08:09 PM
    Well considering RIM waited about 2 to 3 years to actually start working towards getting an OS that could compete with the capabilities/apps/media but still have the security we're accustomed to, you are kinda glossing over that fact. When you are entering an existing market you either have to match features and quality, or undercut the competition with pricing, and RIM did neither. Google came in closer to iOS with features and apps (not as good) but they also came in much cheaper. RIM released a premium priced device missing a lot of features that people expected, then said they would be available soon, to no delivering and creating a PR disaster for themselves. They would probably had been better off waiting to release the Playbook at this DevCon, without any info leading up to it and have everything in the 2.0 OS + the NDK. It is what it is now and I hope 2.0 delivers the goods, but to think that RIM should get a pass and be allowed to take years to get where Apple and Google are now is a bit silly I think. Match or undercut. RIM needs to get lighter on its feet to adjust to a rapidly evolving market. I think/hope the TabletOS will get there.
    All true they may have gone about it wrong strategy wise, but PERSONALLY I'm happy to have had use out of it during this period and OS 2.0 will be icing on the cake. And personally is all that matters to me personally. No problem with how they went about it and no regrets . I got what I expected, that being -what capability it had when I bought it..
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 09-30-11 at 08:14 PM.
    09-30-11 08:12 PM
    In addition you will get the powerful multimedia features of Playbook.So even if Apps are not there it will keep many people happy.

But apps will be there.Why? At a minimum all current blackberry Apps will be available for QNX.QNX will support Java runtime, same runtime that will run the PIM.If Java runtime can run PIM it can run anyother Java app from BB OS.So at a minimum you should expect as many apps as in BB OS.
    09-30-11 08:16 PM
    In addition you will get the powerful multimedia features of Playbook.So even if Apps are not there it will keep many people happy.

But apps will be there.Why? At a minimum all current blackberry Apps will be available for QNX.QNX will support Java runtime, same runtime that will run the PIM.If Java runtime can run PIM it can run anyother Java app from BB OS.So at a minimum you should expect as many apps as in BB OS.
    well they said that the PB was going to run older BB apps but we havent seen that actually happen yet nor it mentioned in the last couple months. At this point its not a given this will be true with a QNX phone
    09-30-11 08:20 PM
    i agree to a point but i dont think autocorrect and organizing bookmarks should take over 1 year to figure out either. I wouldnt expect all the apps in the world to be available at launch or within 6 months but its those other little things that seem to be missing that make you scratch your head
    Is that what you think? That the most secure ecosystem on the planet is dead because you can't remember where your bookmarks are? Ancrap is missing security, is buggy and laggy. Makes one wonder why you post in this forum.
    09-30-11 08:27 PM
    Whoa I'm with ya shootscores but cool down for your own sake...would like to keep you around...could be you're being led to the slaughter.
    09-30-11 08:45 PM
    he can say all he wants, its a free forum to discuss things and i didnt find anything he said over the line. He can think android is crap and laggy just as i can think tablet OS is very incomplete at this point. Opinions are what make this place fun.
    Last edited by howarmat; 09-30-11 at 08:52 PM.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    09-30-11 08:50 PM
    It's real convenient making comparisons in a vacuum. Unfortunately, RIM can't exist in their own independent world with no competitors, where they simply mimic past behaviors and progress of other companies from a different time. Bringing up old history from other platforms is not relevant to the situation here in 2011.

Let me put it this way -- I don't think even the modern day Apple could repeat their success if they were entering a market dominated by others. Apple earned their success by redefining markets -- first iPhone, then iPad -- and starting the market from scratch on their own terms. RIM is not operating on their own terms right now -- they are fighting in a market that is controlled by Apple, Google, and soon Amazon. Big difference.

By the way, the original Android that you reference looked nothing like the Android of today. In fact, the original Android devices looked heavily like BB, Palm, and WinMo devices of the time. Android had a complete reboot in the 2007-2008 timeframe after the iPhone came out of left field and changed the market. In reality, the market that RIM is fighting in now is a single market -- the post-iPhone market.
    09-30-11 08:50 PM
    he can say all he wants, its a free forum to discuss things and i didnt find anything he said over the line. He can think android is crap and laggy just as i can think tablet OS is very incomplete at this point. Opinions are what make this place fun.
    Yep I know how fun it is for you to provoke and then hit the tattle tail button...
    09-30-11 08:56 PM
110 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD