Hi BlackBerry PlayBook users,
    i have a really strange issue with my Playbook ... the "my videos" and "device manager" icons both crashed - they became inactive and grey. when i saw that i decided i should restart the Playbook ... well since i chose RESTART - all i see is blackberry playbook text - it goes for hours!!! the playbook wouldn't start at all.
    any ideas how to solve that mess? any combinations of keys ("on/off"-button, "-"-button, "play/pause"-button, "+"-button)?
    10-19-12 12:45 PM
    The first thing to try would be to hold the power button down until it shuts offf. Wait 5 minutes and restart.
    10-19-12 12:53 PM
    Take it in a dark place to make sure it is completely off.
    Chaddface likes this.
    10-19-12 01:01 PM
    Hard rest by holding down the power button & volume +/- all at the same time.
    ok5ko likes this.
    10-19-12 01:10 PM
    A simple Restart should correct the problem, but if not, hold down the Volume Up and Volume Down buttons on the top of your Playbook while pressing the Power button. This will reset the device, much like a battery pull on your phone, which should correct it.

Now, if you want to put the Playbook back to factory settings (a somewhat extreme option, in my mind, but you asked about it), you need to do a security wipe, which will wipe out everything on the Playbook (settings, downloaded apps, music, pictures, videos, etc.) and take it back to out-of-the-box start-all-over condition. I'd only use that option as a last resort.
    ok5ko likes this.
    10-19-12 01:19 PM
    Hard rest by holding down the power button & volume +/- all at the same time.
    What's the difference between a hard reset and a power off?

Does a hard reset cause a loss of any data?
    10-19-12 02:18 PM
    Hard restart forces things to happen, similar to holding the power button down on your pc for 3 seconds or more. Power off shuts things down gracefully.
    10-19-12 02:40 PM
    What's the difference between a hard reset and a power off?

Does a hard reset cause a loss of any data?
    The only loss of data that might result would be if you were working on/editing a document or some similar creation activity (or game score). No other loss SHOULD occur but "should" is operative and things can occasionally happen - which I why you should back up your unique data (pictures, voice notes, whatever) periodically to another storage place.
    10-19-12 04:02 PM
    The first thing to try would be to hold the power button down until it shuts offf. Wait 5 minutes and restart.
    +1 to that. During a call to BlackBerry Tech Support, one of the first things they had me do was hold my power button down for 20 seconds, then wait a few minutes to restart.
    10-19-12 04:40 PM
    I have a Playbook with 2.0.0.6149 and android market. Would a factory settings via a security wipe force it to go through setup, requiring it to update to the latest software version?
    11-05-12 12:48 PM
    I found my answer in this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=717544 Various responses state that a security wipe will lead to a required re-activation, which will in turn lead to an update.

My original search was too specific. I retried with more queries and found it. :-)
    11-05-12 08:47 PM
    I have a Playbook with 2.0.0.6149 and android market. Would a factory settings via a security wipe force it to go through setup, requiring it to update to the latest software version?
    Yes. I have done that for clean install
    11-06-12 02:33 AM
    i allready use a security swipe but i connot retrieve all my data .
    02-20-13 05:20 AM
    where can i find that box?
    cause i can,t find my applicationafter i use the security wipe even i download i cant find . the file that i download
    02-20-13 05:40 AM
    Dinnis:

Can you provide some more detail about what you are trying to accomplish? Does you pb start up? Is it stuck in an OFF state?
    02-20-13 08:34 AM
    When opening Message icon i received: This application was interrupted. please close and open it again to continue. (30000)
    When opening Video chat, i received: Error-services-failed (30000).
    When opening Video i opened before i received: Media Error, This file type isn't supported.
    Can you please advise.
    03-18-13 02:00 PM
    Can you please advise how to hard reset a playbook?
    03-18-13 02:01 PM
    To fix an issue, try these in order:

Restart using the Battery Icon and press Restart

Press and hold the Power button for 10-15 seconds. Then leave it for 20-30 seconds and see if it restarts.

To REBOOT:
    Press and HOLD all three keys for about 10 - 20 seconds: PowerOn, VolUp and VolDown. Start with the PowerButton. Keep holding past the 3-choice options screen. If you hear a shutter type sound, you've taken a Screen Shot and probably missed the PowerButton.
    03-18-13 02:48 PM
    Can you please advise how to hard reset a playbook?
    If that doesn't help you may need to do a debrick which will erase everything so if you can back up first or copy your stuff. To debrick make sure the pb is off (no light on the screen) open DM and plug the pb in while off, choose update and or repair.
    03-18-13 04:42 PM
    Hi there, I know this was an older post but I have had my playbook for a couple years and only now am having problems with it slowing down. If i try to film videoes it freezes temporarily and the emails are slow to open. overall the performance of my playbook is slowing down. Should I reset it back to factory settings. The problem is not severe at this time but only annoying. I have backed it up to my blackberry desktop manager.
    07-04-13 10:24 AM
    Hi there, I know this was an older post but I have had my playbook for a couple years and only now am having problems with it slowing down. If i try to film videoes it freezes temporarily and the emails are slow to open. overall the performance of my playbook is slowing down. Should I reset it back to factory settings. The problem is not severe at this time but only annoying. I have backed it up to my blackberry desktop manager.
    Cleaning it totally might help. I would suggest as a safety measure to MANUALLY back up any unique data, like photos, videos, voice notes, etc. You can just use drag and drop to a folder on your computer.

There was a thread that suggested that the video lag was due to lessening storage space. While the "hard disk" in the pb is not a spinning hard disk, it sounds as if as it gets filled, it might have trouble "indexing" (or whatever it does) and can't keep up with video recording. I did find that after I wiped mine (for other reasons), that the video pause was gone. So, maybe a cleanup will help. As for email, if the unit has tons, that could possibly lead to a slow down, too.

You can try a Security Wipe which is accomplished from the Main Settings Menu, then Security and wipe. Or you can debrick - which involves more time and OS restoration (and I have had real issues using it - might be my wifi or isp).
    07-04-13 10:44 AM