Hey guys, I'm sure we're ALL enjoying OS 2.0 right?

Just wanted to share what had happened to me today.

Before the story, just a bit of background to help understand the story. So basically I'm a first year university student here in Canada, studying to become a physician hopefully one day

Now on to the story

So as usual I was just getting ready for class, I'm at the bus terminal waiting when I realize something. I didn't bring my lab work which I had to submit in the biology lab for today. I thought there's no way I could have forgot it, I knew I had it. Alas after checking my bag it was not there.

It was a tense situtation, I couldn't go back home, it would take too long, I couldn't ask my mom to come give it to me at the terminal since the bus was almost at the terminal. I knew I had to do something, I couldn't get it handed in late, there is a deduction for each day the lab work is submitted late, its a 10 percent deduction per day starting from the day its due, meaning 1 minute late would make the assignment late for today ergo 10 percent deduction.

Situation Critical (Medical students/Residents/Interns will get this pun). Then I remembered something, I had my PlayBook.

Earlier this morning, I had printed out my lab work. BUT I also "printed" it to my PlayBook using the print to go option within Microsoft Word.

Fast Track 45 Minutes

Arrived at university, connected to university WiFi network with PlayBook. Opened up print to go application, saw the file I needed. Composed an email from PlayBook , attached my lab work. Signed in to PC at university, successfully printed assignment.

Mission Accomplished, made it 10 minutes early

Moral of the story: Something may seem useless or not worth anything, although take a second look, you'll be surprised.

Hope you all liked reading about my rushed and anxiety filled morning
    Last edited by goku_vegeta; 03-06-12 at 02:22 PM.
    03-06-12 01:04 PM
    Nice story.

Print-to-go is awesome! I use it very frequently. Do some research at the office, send the results to my PB and carry it to wherever I need the docs for review.

Print-to-go is for me the way-to-go.
    jafobabe likes this.
    03-06-12 01:18 PM
    Nice story.

Print-to-go is awesome! I use it very frequently. Do some research at the office, send the results to my PB and carry it to wherever I need the docs for review.

Print-to-go is for me the way-to-go.
    I also think its great for printing directions you get if you happen to use a computer, nice and easy. Great UI and coming from TAT its got a healthy amount of eye candy . I honestly think this is the most underrated app with OS 2.0, I'm sure more and more PlayBook owners will find their own way to use Print to Go which enhances their PlayBook experience overall.
    03-06-12 01:31 PM
    Might want to set up RDP or Splashtop too as a back up in case you don't use print to go
    03-06-12 01:32 PM
    Might want to set up RDP or Splashtop too as a back up in case you don't use print to go
    Good idea, and if your super OCD you might want to upload it to google docs too
    03-06-12 01:35 PM
    Thanks goku_vegeta!

I had decided to ignor this app because I thought it was useless. Since reading your posting I thought that I would give it a try. I can see a use for this and I like it. The idea of not having to waste paper just to carry a sermon, directions or what have you. This is neat and I will use this.
    03-06-12 02:10 PM
    Thanks goku_vegeta!

I had decided to ignor this app because I thought it was useless. Since reading your posting I thought that I would give it a try. I can see a use for this and I like it. The idea of not having to waste paper just to carry a sermon, directions or what have you. This is neat and I will use this.
    You're welcome

Perfect idea, its what the app was meant for, its a great little tool and I've found docs to go great for my "permanent" content, so I can just scroll through the file browser and look for that biology powerpoint or pdf I need, for quick access to some temporary items like directions or in this case a document I needed to re print, print to go makes it much more convenient, plus it has one feature the native file browser doesn't, and that the ability to create folders and organize content.
    03-06-12 02:21 PM
    You are so lucky eh, lesson learned, "print" everything lol
    03-06-12 02:54 PM
    I'm still not entirely sure what the benefit of Print to Go is over simply copying the file onto the playbook. I could see doing it with a web page but then couldn't you just access the web site over Bridge?

I transfer tons of .DOC and .PDF files between computers but I simply drag and drop them from the computer to the PB. What's the benefit of using PTG?
    03-06-12 03:48 PM
    You are so lucky eh, lesson learned, "print" everything lol
    Yep I sure did lol

I'm still not entirely sure what the benefit of Print to Go is over simply copying the file onto the playbook. I could see doing it with a web page but then couldn't you just access the web site over Bridge?

I transfer tons of .DOC and .PDF files between computers but I simply drag and drop them from the computer to the PB. What's the benefit of using PTG?

Correct I do that to files that I keep for longer periods of time. For files I need quick access to and that are temporary I use print to go. Everyone will have a different use for the native and third party apps. It all depends on how you fit it into your daily life.
    03-06-12 04:00 PM
    Since DropBox is free, I write my work project files to it on my work desktop. When I get home I open the files and go right back to work on them. If I need the files on my PlayBook or phone, I've got an option to get the stuff from the Cloud anytime.
    Yep, although if cloud based services aren't your thing, its good to know there are alternatives.
    03-06-12 05:53 PM
    Print 2 Go isn't a be-all-end-all, but it isn't meant to be, either. I love what it does.
    03-06-12 07:02 PM
    My brother is an emergency medicine doctor, and I just showed him the story, he laughed out loud then thanked me for getting him a blackberry, and I thank you for sharing your story with us!

Thats completely awesome and good luck to you on your path to your M.D.
    goku_vegeta and 00stryder like this.
    03-06-12 07:17 PM
    You'll make a great physician. I'm amazed by the number of medical people I know who can't apply basic diagnostic skills outside of a medical setting. You just did.
    goku_vegeta, D_Way and v1rg1l like this.
    03-06-12 07:24 PM
    I use it to save repair scooter manuals and tutorials. 100s of pages of stuff always with me and no greasy pages.
    03-06-12 09:05 PM
    I use it to save repair scooter manuals and tutorials. 100s of pages of stuff always with me and no greasy pages.
    Ya but I'll bet you have a greasy screen!
    03-06-12 10:19 PM
    I have been using p2go for the last two weeks for a class i am taking. I like being able to print all the reading materials, study guides etc, and having the ability to sort them by week and subject.
    P2go's folders, and sorting ability is exactly what is needed for docs2go, and the adobe reader as well. There have been several posts about how not being able to organize files in the docs2go and adobe were major drawbacks, and rim has the answer right there with p2go.
    03-06-12 10:25 PM

There are 2 things that would kick in to make this awesome (and I do think Print To Go is pretty awesome).

1) You don't have WiFi to cloud. Maybe you always have a connection to the 'net, but I don't. I often find myself in places with very restricted access to networks. Like on a bus maybe?
    2) The file you want to view/save/print is not a .DOC or .PDF (what? there are more applications than just Word or Acrobat?). That's the best thing, no matter what application it is, if I can print it, it can go on to my Playbook and be able to read it.
    03-06-12 11:46 PM
    Thanks for the story just can't seem to remember life before my pb
    03-07-12 12:52 AM
    no matter what application it is, if I can print it, it can go on to my Playbook and be able to read it.
    Well that's great, can you give me some examples? I can see printing web sites. Doc files, Acrobat files, Powerpoint files and spreadsheets can be opened on the device. I'm not saying there aren't other things, but just give me some examples..

thanks
    Last edited by Furballz; 03-07-12 at 12:59 AM.
    03-07-12 12:57 AM
    My brother is an emergency medicine doctor, and I just showed him the story, he laughed out loud then thanked me for getting him a blackberry, and I thank you for sharing your story with us!

Thats completely awesome and good luck to you on your path to your M.D.

I wonder if he got the situation critical pun although now I'm starting to think its not a widely known thing Situation Critical was a Television show that had been on air on Discovery I think, about trauma patients coming in to the hospital, my Wednesday professor is actually an emergency medicine physician and she was one of the doctors that had been featured on this real life show. I haven't seen it yet but it was taken off air due to the hospitals complaining and saying that the patient could not give consent if they were unconscious. It's pretty sad too because you would see people dying right at the bedside and the family is probably not going to like that if it happens over national television

Thank you First year university, almost done actually, been a great year, definitely helps to have some tech gadgets to get things done , now if only that Medscape app worked on the PlayBook

You'll make a great physician. I'm amazed by the number of medical people I know who can't apply basic diagnostic skills outside of a medical setting. You just did.

Thank you

I always tell everyone who is aspiring to go into this field that it is not good enough to just learn about the sciences, everyone applying is going to have the exact same credentials as you. Medicine is a multidisciplinary art, its amazing to see how well some of the top physicians coordinate their teams especially within the emergency room department.

Now back on topic LOL, I did hear about some pharmaceutical companies investing quite heavily with the PlayBook, I don't actually know what they are doing with them but for a pharmaceutical to invest in something its usually a safe bet to assume they'll use it somehow to better their business potentially.
    03-07-12 09:07 AM
    There are 2 things that would kick in to make this awesome (and I do think Print To Go is pretty awesome).

1) You don't have WiFi to cloud. Maybe you always have a connection to the 'net, but I don't. I often find myself in places with very restricted access to networks. Like on a bus maybe?
    2) The file you want to view/save/print is not a .DOC or .PDF (what? there are more applications than just Word or Acrobat?). That's the best thing, no matter what application it is, if I can print it, it can go on to my Playbook and be able to read it.
    Yes I've tried all sorts of files, pictures and documents. If it has the option to print, it can go to my PB...as a pdf. Awesome!
    03-07-12 09:41 AM
    Great to hear that Print-to-go saved you!

Way to go!
    03-15-12 11:12 PM
    Now if we could just convince RIM the value being able to BoothTooth print on a business tablet.
    03-15-12 11:43 PM

Print to Go (to me) works best when I want to view something that is not a supported file format for the Playbook. I find many small advantages to the app and it may not be the best thing out there, it is somewhat innovative and welcomed onto the device, at least by me.
    03-25-12 11:30 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD