Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree81Likes
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Betty2005 View Post
    Yes sure glad I asked them to send it back. It arrived today and I took a knife and bent the USB port back to where it should have been. Now it is charged and working perfectly fine. So much for the so called water damage they said mad it unrepairable. Don't know what they are up to.
    It's a third party that repairs the PB's. There is no incentive for them to deny a claim. They make money fixing PB's, not returning them. For whatever reason your water indicators have changed color. Excessive humidty(bathroom during shower) or even a drop of water in the wrong place.
    If the tab inside the USB was out of place then a usb cable was plugged in upside down.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus3000 View Post
    All Playbooks will self destruct on January 1, 2014. I heard this from a guy from Pravda, quoted on Yugoslavian radio, replayed on CNN, tweeted by my best friend cousin's neighbour's gardener.
    ______

LOL
    CrackBerry Abuser

I am happy that RIM is still supporting the PB 2 years on and its feature set is really not outdated except for those that require the latest and greatest every 6 months to a year. It has been great to get updates to a product to extend its use versus requiring a new purchase to "update".[/QUOTE]
    ________
    And Apple's stock value took a huge decline recently. And RIM's stock value is inching up. Actually it has doubled in value since 8 weeks ago when it hit a low of $6.50 a share. I give it a "buy now" signal to y'all.
    CrackBerry Abuser

The recent phenomenal discounts on PB accessories, not to mention the PBs themselves do make me continue to wonder how long they will be supported. Things like chargers are almost being given away. Yet they just released the 4G PB and did an OS update? It is puzzling.

I was in our local Staples today. No Playbooks and no accessories. Just a few sleeves for PB left. They have not been carrying anything for quite a while. Future Shop has stock of accessories, but at inflated prices. Don't seem to be trying to move them.

It would not be a big surprise if RIM either gave up tablets altogether or offloaded the business to someone else. I guess we will find out in time.
    CrackBerry Genius

I think they just want to get BB10 in as many hands as possible.

Making the PlayBook available for $150 with a free case and charger does this. There are far more people who will take the chance on a $150 tablet than who will take the chance with a $600 phone.

Also makes me wonder what sort of BIS services will come to the PlayBook. The more people with BBM's new features, the more people will want that on a phone.
    BlackBerry Z10 on Bell Canada
    OS 10.2.android
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    298 Global Posts

As dumb as this sounds, I kinda like the fact that we are only 2 million strong. I feel we are a smaller yet smart bunch who know an awesome product when we see it. As long as it continues to do what we want it to, I could not give a hoot if not another person buys one. I do feel RIM will support it with BB10 and if not, I will continue to use my Playbook until it dies on its own. If BB does make another tablet in the future, I will support it and buy it. But I am happy it has been supported by RIM with updates to improve it and being that is almost 2 years old, that is amazing in itself. If we get more apps with BB10, even better but I personally have everything I need to enjoy it to its fullest potential. If I did not feel that way, I would have bought something else by now.
    Lovin' the Playbook and hatin' the cynics!
    axllebeer likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Reality Check
    the present fire sale of the PB goes now on 2 xmas seasons, and will go on until the last one is sold
    now we have a firesale on all accessories, vendors want to get rid of all the chargers, keyboards
    RIM will than outsource repairs to a third party, mostly repairs of the screens and ports, than after 3 years use we need new batteries
    software updates will come though BB OS10, so no problem there, even with apps

Shelf-life of a tablet may be max 3 years anyway, so there comes the question repair or buy a new tablet
    Hopefully companies, other than RIM, will produce tablet running BB OS 10,
    like tablet from various companies running android, and now other companies than MS running Windows 8 and 8RT
    RIM will be a software company, hardware will be sourced out
    I bet you one $$
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by katesbb View Post
    Oh I dunno... the BB10 phones will most likely attract some new buyers, and if the PlayBook is running the same OS those buyers will probably take a look at it as a bigger-screen portal into their digital world, much as iPhone/iPad owners probably do with their devices.
    There is a zero point zero percent chance that RIM can ever sell the current Playbook for any sort of profit. Ever. Even if BB10 is welcomed by the market, the simple cold hard reality is that the Playbook has been being sold at a 75%+ discount for longer than it was sold at retail. How can they possibly just suddenly sell a 2 year old tablet for top dollar? Won't happen, can't happen. As others have posted, the writing is on the wall. Unless there is a new Playbook released - and this is a big if because it means RIM has to dig themselves out of it - we are all stuck holding the Betamax of tablets.

Ironically at $150 these things are a great buy, but the clock is ticking on their usefulness and support.
    Thanked by:
    hreiner1 (12-28-2012) 
    Wasp14 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukey Avalon View Post
    There is a zero point zero percent chance that RIM can ever sell the current Playbook for any sort of profit. Ever. Even if BB10 is welcomed by the market, the simple cold hard reality is that the Playbook has been being sold at a 75%+ discount for longer than it was sold at retail. How can they possibly just suddenly sell a 2 year old tablet for top dollar? Won't happen, can't happen. As others have posted, the writing is on the wall. Unless there is a new Playbook released - and this is a big if because it means RIM has to dig themselves out of it - we are all stuck holding the Betamax of tablets.

Ironically at $150 these things are a great buy, but the clock is ticking on their usefulness and support.
    I really only want to comment on one aspect of your reply - the pb is not and cannot be the "betamax" of tablets - that device was locked into a specific format that no one supported. So no one was producing files in betamax format and files designed for it only played on it. While the app eco-system (as it is commonly called) is not the best, the pb can continue to read various websites. It supports a wide variety of media types (that is, it will continue to play mp3 files and with existing apps it supports an even wider array of video formats than it does natively where it still supports a wide array. In addition, files that you have for it - those mp3, jpgs, video, docs, pdf's can be used on other platforms. It may not be a wide hit but it is NOT betamax by any means.
    dmlis likes this.
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by brianatbb View Post
    There is a lot of truth to what you say. Where the argument falls apart is where Rim doesn't match the competition in offering new and more competitive tablets (except the 4g version, which sort of keeps it in the running) and doesn't do enough to match the competition on the app front. Sure, its original tablet is still supported (three cheers) and not exactly obsolete yet (two cheers). But Rim has to be aware that its competitors are moving ahead in terms of screen resolution, battery life, innovative functions and processor speed. Sure, I want to see Rim keep supporting the current iteration but it also needs to bring out newer tablets.
    What "innovative functions" would those be?

Quote Originally Posted by daglesj View Post
    Fundamental flaw with that argument. With tablets its not about the individual model of tablet, its the total number sold for that 'ecosystem'.

For every unwanted Playbook sold clearance for $150 I bet there are a 1000 android or ipad tablets sold. Then the android and ipad ecosystem and brand value just nukes playbook from orbit. Then there are all the android tablets currently in development......

Whats a Playbook?????
    Wow! A thousand for each PlayBook? That would make, like what, over two billion tablets sold in the last 2 years. If I may ask sir, where did you get your statistics because they seem so accurate to me...

Last edited by dejanh; 12-29-2012 at 12:43 AM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    325 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dejanh View Post

Wow! A thousand for each PlayBook? That would make, like what, over two billion tablets sold in the last 2 years. If I may ask sir, where did you get your statistics because they seem so accurate to me...

So errr you didn't read points #60 and #61 I take it? I love quick snappy comebacks.

I guess you still don't get the basic point that there are many many many more android and iOS based tablets selling at FULL price for every bargain basement abandoned firesale Playbook. That was what I was trying to get across. Basically Playbook is a negligible entity in the tablet market. I'll try to make it easier next time.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    715 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dukey Avalon View Post
    There is a zero point zero percent chance that RIM can ever sell the current Playbook for any sort of profit...
    Sure, but I just meant the PlayBook concept (with new hardware and BB10) would probably help sell BB10 phones as well. People these days want an "ecosystem" it seems, the ability to look at their digital world through different (but compatible) devices. Android phone/Nexus 7, iPhone/iPad, BB10 Phone/Playbook. Our particular version of the PlayBook is probably being phased out, but I'm guessing it'll be replaced with a faster version with better specs in time. Look at the Kindle for example, the original version is discontinued, but the "Kindle" as an idea lives on with the HD version now.
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus3000 View Post
    All Playbooks will self destruct on January 1, 2014. I heard this from a guy from Pravda, quoted on Yugoslavian radio, replayed on CNN, tweeted by my best friend cousin's neighbour's gardener.
    Oh snap! Take that you non supporting I clam to love blackberry peeps. No company builds a product to not be scalable later on. If they do, they call them selves Apple, build the exact same product and tell you it's revolutionary. BB10 was founded on the same infrastructure the playbook was born from, so it stands to reason that all the great discoveries we've seen thus far with bb10 will also come to flourish onto the PlayBook.
    "Think highly of yourself, because the world will take you at your own estimate."
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234