Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By BuzzStarField
  • 1 Post By F2
  • 1 Post By ralfyguy
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default How long does the Debrick/Reload of the OS take?

64g PB. Most recent Desktop Software. Vista 64 system.

I started the Debrick Process around 9:45am. The download took quite a long time - at least an hour. It then started the "Loading system software" stage at some point. It was doing that when I left the house around 11am.

It is now 1:40pm and it is STILL "loading" the software. That's more than 2 1/2 hours. The Green Progress Bar is only about 50% across the box. There is a Green Led still on the pb as it has been since the process started.

I believe I ran into a similar situation when I was trying this on a 32gig pb. I think I tried two or 3 times with a stall. I have moved the "progress" window box to line up the Green bar with another element on my screen and will see if it moves in the next hour as I go on another errand.

(asked in a beseeching voice) Any ideas for the person who tries helping others............ in other words H E L P!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,804 Global Posts

You are doing this by DTM? I just did the security wipe connected to wifi and it downloaded a 300mb update ota to the same version 2.1.0.1314 pretty quickly, probably 10 to 15 minutes, then about same for the install. I have a 30mbs Internet connection.
    CrackBerry Genius

This won't be much in the way of HELP but the process does take a long time and there is precious little in the way of feedback. There is not much advice that I can give except to wait as long as your patience allows before aborting the process. It took nearly 3 hours to load my dev alpha device with new system software last week and the waiting was a killer. The green light is normal - stays this way until the reboot stage.
    Show off PlayBook's magnetometer! Just point and see What's up.
    Visit What's up Sky Map on Facebook.
    Thanked by 2:
    F2 (01-03-2013),  spike12 (01-03-2013) 
    spike12 likes this.
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Quote Originally Posted by djenkins6 View Post
    You are doing this by DTM? I just did the security wipe connected to wifi and it downloaded a 300mb update ota to the same version 2.1.0.1314 pretty quickly, probably 10 to 15 minutes, then about same for the install. I have a 30mbs Internet connection.

Yes, I opted for an entire RELOAD..... Or I thought I had.

I just pulled the IV line figuring what the h3ll. The darn thing rebooted and I appear to be just where I left it before starting the process. All apps are still in place. All sideloaded are still in place. And it looks as if all data is still in place.

I am not sure if anything happened! Seriously, does Debrick leave everything intact and just reload the OS? I _THOUGHT_ it would annihilate everything! Do I need a Security Wipe and then OS reload?

Boy, for a "Genius of Geniuses" I sure don't know much!
    johnierw likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Debricking zaps everything and load new system software. Your effort must have stalled before it started installing the new system. It really only necessary to do this if the device won't boot. No doubt about it, it is a painful process. If you can start ithe device up it is better (and faster) to RELOAD everything by wiping it. When you start it up again, it will install the system software OTA just like when you first unboxed your PB. I have done it both ways - the second approach is definitely less of a waiting game.
    Show off PlayBook's magnetometer! Just point and see What's up.
    Visit What's up Sky Map on Facebook.
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzStarField View Post
    Debricking zaps everything and load new system software. Your effort must have stalled before it started installing the new system. It really only necessary to do this if the device won't boot. No doubt about it, it is a painful process. If you can start ithe device up it is better (and faster) to RELOAD everything by wiping it. When you start it up again, it will install the system software OTA just like when you first unboxed your PB. I have done it both ways - the second approach is definitely less of a waiting game.
    Well, after about a total of 3 1/2 hours (download and stalled? install) I did not see much happening. I don't know what it was or was not doing during the 2 1/2 hours it was "loading system software" but the pb booted as if nothing happened, which is what I guess happened - NOTHING. I will now waste time doing a Security Wipe and see if that process leads to Permissions being re-invigorated.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,804 Global Posts

Should only take 30 minutes or so total for wipe and ota install, then you should have a back to factory playbook.
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Should only take 30 minutes or so total for wipe and ota install, then you should have a back to factory playbook.
    Been through the tutorial for the umpteen time.

I do have the slowest dsl in the known world. It is now at 210mb with 11 minutes to go (been going for a half hour, I believe).

The first two apps I will install will be Kalemsoft and the trial Pacemaker and see if Permissions are now present.

I also think my plan will be to accept all Permissions for all Apps as installed and then try revoking them after the initial install.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,819 Global Posts

Default Re: How long does the Debrick/Reload of the OS take?

That's my experience as well.

What I did was shut the PB down and wait until it is completely dark. Wait another mi ute for good measure. Start DM. Wait jntil DM is done pulling up. Connect the PB. There will be an error, ignore it and continue. Follow the prompt to repair. Follow the prompt to update the SW, confirm.

Download took about 10 minutes on 18mbps down. Then about another 15-20 minutes to load the stuff.

PB will reboot and.present you with the factory new screen asking for your language settings etc.

Done it several times ln my 64GB. Always the same pattern.

The only annoying thing is having to set up all the email.and social media accounts, because for some reason they don't back up.
  10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

Okay, Security Wipe completed. I have Permissions for those two apps. Now to reinstall the dozens of other apps that I had installed. And THINK carefully about sideloading various apps.

I've reestablished my Static IP address, Bridge. Got a few BT devices I have to add back including the Music Gateway, the BB keyboard, my Moto S9's, Jawbone Icon and others.

Then a mere 50 or so gigs of media and docs.
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

Quote Originally Posted by ralfyguy View Post
    That's my experience as well.

What I did was shut the PB down and wait until it is completely dark. Wait another mi ute for good measure. Start DM. Wait jntil DM is done pulling up. Connect the PB. There will be an error, ignore it and continue. Follow the prompt to repair. Follow the prompt to update the SW, confirm.

Download took about 10 minutes on 18mbps down. Then about another 15-20 minutes to load the stuff.

PB will reboot and.present you with the factory new screen asking for your language settings etc.

Done it several times ln my 64GB. Always the same pattern.

The only annoying thing is having to set up all the email.and social media accounts, because for some reason they don't back up.
    See, that did not happen. I also tried using DM software. The download took more than an hour (slow dsl, granted), but the Install phase seem to have stalled. It had been running at least 2 1/2 hours. When I ignored the dire warning - detaching usb at this point could lead to a "dead" pb. I figured WA State has Death With Dignity so pulled the usb. It stalled on "Blackberry Playbook" on a black screen for a while, then the colored bubble and then I was back where I started. No Debrick and no change. Clearly, the Debrick did not work for me this go-around. I just completed the Security Wipe from the Security Option. I guess I lose the native wallpapers and the shortened demo turtle video.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,819 Global Posts

After you did the security wipe, why don't you just try the debrick again now? Perhaps this time it works. And this way you also get the wallpapers and the demo video back.
  13. Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

Quote Originally Posted by ralfyguy View Post
    After you did the security wipe, why don't you just try the debrick again now? Perhaps this time it works. And this way you also get the wallpapers and the demo video back.
    I wanted my pb back and did not want to potentially waste another 3 hours. I have a hard copy of the original 3 minute video and somehow blew away a hard copy of the 2 minute one just the other day. I have sufficient pictures to use as wallpaper. Maybe next time (sure!).

What I did learn is that the Video Freeze that has been reported and that I had, is GONE. So, it is definitely a bug and probably dependent on how much file space is used. Obviously, the pb file-spooling, for lack of the tech term, does not handle very full pb's hard disk space.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,819 Global Posts

I bet you after the security wipe, the debrick would have run normal. I bet the security wioe got rid of whatever the debrick choked on trying to overwrite.
    I wish I had a copy of your full length demo video, because for some reason I always liked it.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by F2 View Post
    64g PB. Most recent Desktop Software. Vista 64 system.

I started the Debrick Process around 9:45am. The download took quite a long time - at least an hour. It then started the "Loading system software" stage at some point. It was doing that when I left the house around 11am.

It is now 1:40pm and it is STILL "loading" the software. That's more than 2 1/2 hours. The Green Progress Bar is only about 50% across the box. There is a Green Led still on the pb as it has been since the process started.

I believe I ran into a similar situation when I was trying this on a 32gig pb. I think I tried two or 3 times with a stall. I have moved the "progress" window box to line up the Green bar with another element on my screen and will see if it moves in the next hour as I go on another errand.

(asked in a beseeching voice) Any ideas for the person who tries helping others............ in other words H E L P!
    I've done 'force reinstall 4 times since getting my playbook. Every time, It took about 15 minutes to download the OS (about 600mb). Then it says, 'extracting device software'. Then it takes about as much time (15 min & i'm sure) to finish the 'loading the software' part. Now, the playbook reboots. In my case, it never took 2 hrs or so to 'load the software' or more precisely, it doesn't take that long. In your case, there must be something up.The entire process takes about 30 to 45 minutes. Hope this helps.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,819 Global Posts

I concur with the previous post. I am 100% positive that the security wipe fixed the issue that the debrick choked on. I thknk the security wipe is more powerful than the debrick.
  17. Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  

Well, since I'm in the process of transferring back tons of files, a Debrick will have to wait for BB10!!!
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,186 Global Posts

I knew you would eventually have to do this F2.
    At least you have a backup of your data now.
    Nexus 4, Kobo Arc 64GB, Playbook 16GB
  19. Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  

Quote Originally Posted by Angus_CB View Post
    I knew you would eventually have to do this F2.
    At least you have a backup of your data now.
    I pretty much knew it was inevitable. And, yes, I do have yet another backup of my data. for instance, looking to see if I had a copy of the Demo HD Turtle video, I searched my computer and found 7 copies of it in various nooks and crannies. Although I could not find a copy of the smaller version. But the process of backing up and restoring.... And seriously, restoring apps is the worst. I go to UNinstalled in Appworld and I'm always back to the A's. And then I scroll to find a 'f' and grab it. Back to 'a' when I now want Ghost Commander. And I've found some games have gone up in PRICE! Seriously irritating. I owned the damn game and I want that version that I OWNED!

BUT, as with the last time I tried restoring Videos - I am running into problems. The copy process keeps Prompting "having trouble copying that damn video!" I just cancelled it. I will try one at a time. Oh, and I am doing it via usb. I don't know why it chokes on restoring videos but that has happened before. Or they appear to "copy" but either don't show on the pb or "format not supported" when they worked perfectly fine.

Other than that, "freezing rain in the pass" so nothing better to do than restore my pb today!
    CrackBerry Genius

Hey F2, when you get'r all done, let us know the answer to your initial question. How long did it take
  21. Thread AuthorThread Author   #21  

Quote Originally Posted by Cynycl View Post
    Hey F2, when you get'r all done, let us know the answer to your initial question. How long did it take
    Dear Cynical (sic):

Very FUNNY!

Well, bulk drag/drop for Videos was a disaster. Many only made it partially. So, it was a matter of manually doing one at a time.

I'm now trying to restore some of my more favorite Sideloaded Android apps. Darn "Chrome printout" seems to be an image pdf so I can't search it. So I just scanned it with ocr. Just an all around grand way to waste time.

I've got tons of appworld apps to go.

As I predicted, this was going to be a daySSSSSSSSSSS long adventure in poor DM tools!

As for Debrick - NO IDEA and I hope I don't have to try finding out again for a LONG TIME.

Have a nice day.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,819 Global Posts

Since you said that you have problems restoring a specific video file, I wouldn't be surprised if that was what the thing choked on in the first place. The security wipe just hammered it out. The debrick could not deal with it.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by F2 View Post
    Dear Cynical (sic):

Very FUNNY!

Well, bulk drag/drop for Videos was a disaster. Many only made it partially. So, it was a matter of manually doing one at a time.

I'm now trying to restore some of my more favorite Sideloaded Android apps. Darn "Chrome printout" seems to be an image pdf so I can't search it. So I just scanned it with ocr. Just an all around grand way to waste time.

I've got tons of appworld apps to go.

As I predicted, this was going to be a daySSSSSSSSSSS long adventure in poor DM tools!

As for Debrick - NO IDEA and I hope I don't have to try finding out again for a LONG TIME.

Have a nice day.
    LOL, I feel your pain brother. I have been through my share of security wipes. Never tried to debrick as I keep nothing on the PB that needs backed up. Typically anything I have has been sync'd to one location or another and with ES File Explorer I can stream my media from any device or cloud service (save for Adrive) without having to transfer to the PB. Photos I take with the playbook auto sync to sugarsync so those are always safe.

I muck with many sideloads so I have found that security wipes are just a fact of life to restore the factory life back when i've loaded/deleted too many apps and things start to get wonky.

Reloading the apps is a pain though.
    Last edited by Cynycl; 01-04-2013 at 03:24 PM.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,819 Global Posts

And so is punching in all the damn email accounts credentials, because the stupid backup doesn't save those.
    F2 likes this.