Hey guys, if you follow me on Twitter, you know that myself and Michael Faro-Tusino have been working tirelessly over the past month testing out the BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha OS on the PlayBook. We wanted to make sure we could find (almost) all major bugs before we post a tutorial, so that people wouldn't end up with a bricked device.

Shout outs go out to @GShaneC for posting the original tutorial here in the CB Forums back in 2012, xsacha for a handful of helpful tips, and @MFaroTusino for partnering up with me on this project.

So here it is! Please remember to use extreme caution when installing this OS, and if something goes wrong, I'm not responsible. Install at your own risk!

The following outlines how to get the BB10 Dev Alpha OS running on the BlackBerry PlayBook.

Note: This is in no way a final release and is highly unstable. Carrying out this procedure
    is entirely at your own risk and no parties other than yourself are responsible for any and all consequences that may result

This will work for both Windows & Mac - just ensure you have the tools that run for your machine

1. Install DingleBerry & DDPB/Some form of sideloading BAR software
    2. Download the 10.0.9.44 Dev Alpha OS from here
    3. Change your PC and PlayBook date to September 24 2012 - Also turn off your Playbook's WiFi
    4. Enable Dev Mode on your PlayBook
    5. Extract the Winchester SDK coreOS BAR file from the 10.0.9.44 folder and place it in the Dingleberry/Firmware/custom folder
    6. Connect your PlayBook to your PC
    7. Open Dingleberry and enter your Dev Mode password into the field in top left
    8. On Dingleberry, select Firmware and Make sure the Buttons say Custom & Core OS
    9. Check that your PlayBook is detected by Dingleberry (top right corner)
    10. Click update at the bottom
    11. The device should have an update screen - if not make sure it is connected and try again. If it fails to install, simply disconnect, reconnect and try flashing again.
    12. If successful, the Playbook will reboot itself - When it comes alive, enable dev mode again and sideload (using DDPB or similar) the Settings app, BBM, Browser, Camera, AppWorld
    13. Reboot your device
    14. When it comes back on - go to the NEW Settings app and change your date and time to be correct
    15. Enable WiFi
    16. Go to Settings>BB ID and check that it retrieves info/allows you to sign in - if so, you're good to go - if not, reflash back to 2.1 (using Dektop Manager) and repeat
    17. Enjoy BBM and AppWorld - Browser and Camera will work whether your BB ID works or not

Known issues:
    DO NOT allow your battery to die while running this OS. The device will not know to turn itself off before the battery completely drains. If it does drain, you will have to perform a stacked charge. It will be difficult to revive your PlayBook if this happens.
    DO NOT power off your PlayBook with the current date and time. If you need to turn your PlayBook off, roll the date back to September 24 2012.
    AppWorld currently only pulls PlayBook apps. It does not pull BB10 apps.
    The icons in the top right corner of the home screen are inaccessible. Rotation Lock, Bluetooth, WiFi, and Battery indicator icons do not work, though oddly enough, the Settings icon does work.
    The backlight appears to timeout much quicker than the length of time defined in the settings.
    The list of known issues will be updated periodically.

Remember, this OS is NOT a suitable replacement for 2.1. This should only be installed if you're feeling adventurous and brave.

Also, please keep in mind that this isn't completely new. The time change workaround and a few other steps are new, but people have been installing Dev OS'es on the PlayBooks since mid-late 2012. I do not take credit for the original method.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Kyle27; 06-13-13 at 03:50 AM. Reason: Added Known Issues
    06-13-13 12:10 AM
    Kick *** awesomeness in a can
    Remian8985 likes this.
    06-13-13 12:18 AM
    So,BB10 native apps run or not?
    06-13-13 12:23 AM
    The BB10 apps that come in the 10.0.9.44 zip file work. But you can't download BB10 apps from App World. Bummer, I know. But it's a Dev OS. Can't expect it to be perfect.

Posted via CB10
    06-13-13 12:30 AM
    Very interesting and it came SOONER than any official bb10. But I'll allow others to experiment as it does not sound very practical. Oh, do other apps that we may have already purchased work or do they not work?
    06-13-13 01:09 AM
    Did u try Skype?
    anon(2757538) likes this.
    06-13-13 02:09 AM
    Just replying to follow thread

Z10 Rocking 10.1.0.2354!
    06-13-13 02:15 AM
    Did u try Skype?
    If you want to try Android apps, you must also add these two bars to the DingleBerry/Firmware/Custom folder before flashing the 10.0 OS:
    android-10.0.0.149-nto+armle-v7+signed
    shell-10.0.0.149-nto+armle-v7+signed

I haven't had any success getting Skype or Instagram to load, but then again, I haven't spent that much time trying.
    06-13-13 02:18 AM
    Does this work on the LTE and 3G Playbooks?

Posted via CB10 from my Q10.
    06-13-13 02:27 AM
    Good work and thanks for sharing.

Makes BBRY look like a bunch of <insert own word here> when a group of hackers can do publicly what BBRY would/will not.

BBRY - hang your collective heads in shame.
    06-13-13 02:30 AM
    Is the Browser AIR or BB10's kickas* browser? How is the keyboard, the usual Playbook one or BB10's? Thanks.
    06-13-13 02:44 AM
    Hey guys, if you follow me on Twitter, you know that myself and Michael Faro-Tusino have been working tirelessly over the past month testing out the BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha OS on the PlayBook. We wanted to make sure we could find (almost) all major bugs before we post a tutorial, so that people wouldn't end up with a bricked device.

Shout outs go out to @GShaneC for posting the original tutorial here in the CB Forums back in 2012, xsacha for a handful of helpful tips, and @MFaroTusino for partnering up with me on this project.

So here it is! Please remember to use extreme caution when installing this OS, and if something goes wrong, I'm not responsible. Install at your own risk!

The following outlines how to get the BB10 Dev Alpha OS running on the BlackBerry PlayBook.

Note: This is in no way a final release and is highly unstable. Carrying out this procedure
    is entirely at your own risk and no parties other than yourself are responsible for any and all consequences that may result

This will work for both Windows & Mac - just ensure you have the tools that run for your machine

1. Install DingleBerry & DDPB/Some form of sideloading BAR software
    2. Download the 10.0.9.44 Dev Alpha OS from here
    3. Change your PC and PlayBook date to September 24 2012 - Also turn off your Playbook's WiFi
    4. Enable Dev Mode on your PlayBook
    5. Extract the Winchester SDK coreOS BAR file from the 10.0.9.44 folder and place it in the Dingleberry/Firmware/custom folder
    6. Connect your PlayBook to your PC
    7. Open Dingleberry and enter your Dev Mode password into the field in top left
    8. On Dingleberry, select Firmware and Make sure the Buttons say Custom & Core OS
    9. Check that your PlayBook is detected by Dingleberry (top right corner)
    10. Click update at the bottom
    11. The device should have an update screen - if not make sure it is connected and try again. If it fails to install, simply disconnect, reconnect and try flashing again.
    12. If successful, the Playbook will reboot itself - When it comes alive, enable dev mode again and sideload (using DDPB or similar) the Settings app, BBM, Browser, Camera, AppWorld
    13. Reboot your device
    14. When it comes back on - go to the NEW Settings app and change your date and time to be correct
    15. Enable WiFi
    16. Go to Settings>BB ID and check that it retrieves info/allows you to sign in - if so, you're good to go - if not, reflash back to 2.1 (using Dektop Manager) and repeat
    17. Enjoy BBM and AppWorld - Browser and Camera will work whether your BB ID works or not

Known issues:
    DO NOT allow your battery to die while running this OS. The device will not know to turn itself off before the battery completely drains. If it does drain, you will have to perform a stacked charge. It will be difficult to revive your PlayBook if this happens.
    DO NOT power off your PlayBook with the current date and time. If you need to turn your PlayBook off, roll the date back to September 24 2012.
    AppWorld currently only pulls PlayBook apps. It does not pull BB10 apps.
    The icons in the top right corner of the home screen are inaccessible. Rotation Lock, Bluetooth, WiFi, and Battery indicator icons do not work, though oddly enough, the Settings icon does work.
    The backlight appears to timeout much quicker than the length of time defined in the settings.
    The list of known issues will be updated periodically.

Remember, this OS is NOT a suitable replacement for 2.1. This should only be installed if you're feeling adventurous and brave.

Also, please keep in mind that this isn't completely new. The time change workaround and a few other steps are new, but people have been installing Dev OS'es on the PlayBooks since mid-late 2012. I do not take credit for the original method.

Enjoy!
    Is it possible to go back to 2.1 after installing this OS.

Posted via CB10
    06-13-13 03:01 AM
    Yes, you can downgrade to 2.1 after.
    I always do this because of the battery issue.

Kyle: would it help if I made Sachibar support Playbook?
    vnbb and mbilloo like this.
    06-13-13 03:08 AM
    Kyle: would it help if I made Sachibar support Playbook?
    That would be very cool and much appreciated.
    Pete The Penguin likes this.
    06-13-13 03:50 AM
    Does this work on the LTE and 3G Playbooks?
    We loaded it up on an LTE PlayBook earlier this week. The OS performed the same as it would on a WiFi PlayBook. But it wasn't my device so I can't comment any further. I'll see if I can get more information.

Posted via CB10
    06-13-13 04:54 AM
    I hope side loading the latest browser bar pulled from 10.2 will work. I'm so giddy, it's going to be a good day today messing with this!

Posted via CB10
    06-13-13 04:58 AM
    We loaded it up on an LTE PlayBook earlier this week. The OS performed the same as it would on a WiFi PlayBook. But it wasn't my device so I can't comment any further. I'll see if I can get more information.

Posted via CB10
    Thank you - I appriciate your help.

Posted via CB10 from my Q10.
    06-13-13 05:24 AM
    Excellent work, and appreciate all the efforts! I'll be interested to see how this evolves, but for now I'll stay on the sidelines....likely until an official OS is released. It's truly amazing to see that there is potential for OS 10 on these things and all hope is not lost.
    06-13-13 05:27 AM
    nice idea, wont be trying it as I dont want a brick, is there no way to get the BBM/Maybe the BB10 version of app world to work without installing the full dev os?
    06-13-13 05:31 AM
    nice idea, wont be trying it as I dont want a brick, is there no way to get the BBM/Maybe the BB10 version of app world to work without installing the full dev os?
    None till date.
    06-13-13 05:36 AM
    Yep, I also don't understand how a group of experts at BB can't accomplish what these part-time tinkerers have had some moderate success on.

I tried. Kept a text-crappy Torch 9860 for a year rooting for underdog RIM. Would have stayed had the silent / 'coming soon' treatment, which no customer deserves - not extended to unbelievable lengths for my poor PB.

Tried out a Samsung GS4 and bought it a couple of days later. Felt sad setting aside the PB as I explored my apps-bursting, hardware-normous Sammy. Decided to use the tablet for my final night's browsing.

Hope these guys make great progress, wouldn't want to say goodbye to my PB. And silently whisper that I may be back. Soon. Real soon.
    06-13-13 05:52 AM
    Not really much to accomplish. You just install 10.0.4 or 10.0.6 that were always known to work on Playbook. We did this last year. The issue is it's old and extremely buggy.

What Blackberry is working on is getting the full BB10 (R9 and above) on Playbook. The issue is the RAM. Only 1GB.
    keviebc likes this.
    06-13-13 07:03 AM
    Not really much to accomplish. You just install 10.0.4 or 10.0.6 that were always known to work on Playbook. We did this last year. The issue is it's old and extremely buggy.

What Blackberry is working on is getting the full BB10 (R9 and above) on Playbook. The issue is the RAM. Only 1GB.
    Nothing big to accomplish when u cant flash unsigned content or run unsigned code.
    06-13-13 07:06 AM
    A little help, guys..
    How To Install BB10 Dev OS on PlayBook-img_00000069.jpg

Posted via CB10
    06-13-13 07:13 AM
    A little help, guys..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000069.jpg 
Views:	2365 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	171603

Posted via CB10
    Did u change the time and date to 2012 in both pb on or PC.
    Try downgrading to 2.1. And follow the steps again.:thumbup:
    06-13-13 07:15 AM
149 123 ...